Damnit... Didn't ride well again

2/2/2022 3:27pm
I think I'm just more so venting and hoping for feedback from any other's experience. In short, I have bad memories at this particular track in Phoenix AZ and I tend to never ride well there. I feel off and a little unfocused, which leads me to cutting my Motos short out of some stupid fear. Anyone experience something like this, or am I just being ridiculous?
|
McG194
2/2/2022 3:30pm
Is this a track you go practice at or are you racing?

If it's a practice track go to the area that gives you grief and spend the entire session there. Turn a weakness into a strength.
2/2/2022 3:37pm
It is practice. I really appreciate the feedback. It feels like it's the whole track... Maybe just keep riding through it, I guess and maybe start identifying the areas of the track that lend to the most grief as you stated. Thank you for simple yet very sound advice, McG194.
brettmx
2/2/2022 3:52pm
It is practice. I really appreciate the feedback. It feels like it's the whole track... Maybe just keep riding through it, I guess and maybe start...
It is practice. I really appreciate the feedback. It feels like it's the whole track... Maybe just keep riding through it, I guess and maybe start identifying the areas of the track that lend to the most grief as you stated. Thank you for simple yet very sound advice, McG194.
It helps to break the track down into a bunch of smaller segments and if you can work particularly on the sections. Then try and put the whole thing together at some point. Cutting the track to work on a particular corner during an open practice with a lot riders isn't advised but cruising through a couple of sections and then focusing on some other parts is a good way to do it. Just stay off the main line when you're cruising. Also ask a friend or one of the faster riders to help you. The worst they may say is, no I'm busy.

ProKawi24
2/2/2022 3:57pm
Have you had some bad crashes there? That will always put some demons in your head. Hangtown was my main home track and also where I had the most wrecks / injuries. Best thing to do after any wreck (if you're physically capable) is to make sure you spin a few more laps before leaving that day, even if they're super slow. You don't want your last memory to be a bad one.

If you're physically not capable (broken bones, concussion, etc) that's a little tougher. Once you're able to ride again, get back out there asap. If I wrecked on a jump and got busted up, I would usually roll it for my first ride back. Get up to speed on the rest of the track first. Then I would walk over and watch anyone else doing the jump, build up your confidence that you can do it again also. Get back on your bike, do some run-ups, get a feel for the speed you need and body positioning. Then at some point you're just gonna have to go for it. The adrenaline kicks into overdrive and you're nervous as hell but once you do it you will feel amazing.

If it's just a matter of the whole track doesn't feel right and you struggle with the layout, go to other tracks for a couple months if possible. Sometimes if I left a track for 1-2 months and came back I would have a whole new perspective of it. It really helped me to walk the track and watch other guys faster than me, study their lines and technique. See how they position their body in sections.

Best of luck dude.

The Shop

2/2/2022 4:06pm
ProKawi24, yes exactly! Broken bones, internal bleeding concussions, etc... I recently went to a different track and you're right, I felt like a completey different rider. Dude, I really appreciate this. It's nice to know I'm not alone with these demons and stupid fears, but it's a real thing. What I'm hearing from you awesome guys who took the time to respond is to gain my confidence back through proof of concept and yes learn from some of the faster guys. Thank you all again.
ProKawi24
2/2/2022 4:21pm
ProKawi24, yes exactly! Broken bones, internal bleeding concussions, etc... I recently went to a different track and you're right, I felt like a completey different rider...
ProKawi24, yes exactly! Broken bones, internal bleeding concussions, etc... I recently went to a different track and you're right, I felt like a completey different rider. Dude, I really appreciate this. It's nice to know I'm not alone with these demons and stupid fears, but it's a real thing. What I'm hearing from you awesome guys who took the time to respond is to gain my confidence back through proof of concept and yes learn from some of the faster guys. Thank you all again.
Been there many times dude. If I got busted up and had to be off the bike for a while, I would go right back when I could ride again. I know the feeling....the entire lap you've got that jump in the back of your mind. When you approach it your nerves go crazy. It can get to the point where the rest of your lap suffers because you can't focus. You have to be mentally tough....just focus on getting up to full speed on the rest of the track first. As you get to full speed your confidence will naturally start to grow and eventually you'll gain the nerve to just go for it and do that jump again.

Like I said, my first ride out I would just roll it. While I'm resting up I would go watch other guys do the jump, watch their lines, how they work the throttle, body position. The more I saw that the more I realized I could do it again. Don't wanna push you to do anything you're not comfortable with but I will tell you the longer you wait the more that fear builds up. If you simply just do not feel comfortable going for it, I would strongly suggest riding any other tracks for a couple months just so you can get yourself back up to full speed and gain confidence in your overall riding. You might come back and suddenly that jump doesn't look so big or that fear faded away.
2/2/2022 4:30pm
You made my night brother. Thank you for taking the time for this... Easy to forget, it's a real dangerous sport with real consequence. I have my action plan in place because of you man. Appreciate it and keep on ripping 👊
ProKawi24
2/2/2022 4:40pm
You made my night brother. Thank you for taking the time for this... Easy to forget, it's a real dangerous sport with real consequence. I have...
You made my night brother. Thank you for taking the time for this... Easy to forget, it's a real dangerous sport with real consequence. I have my action plan in place because of you man. Appreciate it and keep on ripping 👊
Anytime dude, let us know how it works out for you. Stick around the forums there's a lot of good dudes and moto talk here. Some crazy ones too lol.
RickyRoss519
Fantasy
2311th
2/2/2022 4:42pm
ProKawi24, yes exactly! Broken bones, internal bleeding concussions, etc... I recently went to a different track and you're right, I felt like a completey different rider...
ProKawi24 wrote:
Been there many times dude. If I got busted up and had to be off the bike for a while, I would go right back when...
Been there many times dude. If I got busted up and had to be off the bike for a while, I would go right back when I could ride again. I know the feeling....the entire lap you've got that jump in the back of your mind. When you approach it your nerves go crazy. It can get to the point where the rest of your lap suffers because you can't focus. You have to be mentally tough....just focus on getting up to full speed on the rest of the track first. As you get to full speed your confidence will naturally start to grow and eventually you'll gain the nerve to just go for it and do that jump again.

Like I said, my first ride out I would just roll it. While I'm resting up I would go watch other guys do the jump, watch their lines, how they work the throttle, body position. The more I saw that the more I realized I could do it again. Don't wanna push you to do anything you're not comfortable with but I will tell you the longer you wait the more that fear builds up. If you simply just do not feel comfortable going for it, I would strongly suggest riding any other tracks for a couple months just so you can get yourself back up to full speed and gain confidence in your overall riding. You might come back and suddenly that jump doesn't look so big or that fear faded away.
I will reiterate on waiting and fear building. The more you think about it, you will begin to psyche yourself out. If I know I want to jump something then I will give my couple test runs to get the right feeling and gauge of speed, then pull the trigger. Most of the time you're better off going long than coming up short! Know yourself, know your abilities. No room for no confidence on these things.
2/2/2022 4:45pm
ProKawi24 wrote:
Anytime dude, let us know how it works out for you. Stick around the forums there's a lot of good dudes and moto talk here. Some...
Anytime dude, let us know how it works out for you. Stick around the forums there's a lot of good dudes and moto talk here. Some crazy ones too lol.
Thank you man, and I absolutely will. I'm planning on a different track as we speak. Again, really appreciate it man.
2/2/2022 4:48pm
I will reiterate on waiting and fear building. The more you think about it, you will begin to psyche yourself out. If I know I want...
I will reiterate on waiting and fear building. The more you think about it, you will begin to psyche yourself out. If I know I want to jump something then I will give my couple test runs to get the right feeling and gauge of speed, then pull the trigger. Most of the time you're better off going long than coming up short! Know yourself, know your abilities. No room for no confidence on these things.
Thank you Ricky Ross. I wish it were just one section or one jump... It's the whole dang track. But, I get what you're saying. I just need to lean into the fear and get a gameplan together to build my confidence. Thank you for this man, appreciate you taking the time.
Brent
2/2/2022 7:32pm
I think I'm just more so venting and hoping for feedback from any other's experience. In short, I have bad memories at this particular track in...
I think I'm just more so venting and hoping for feedback from any other's experience. In short, I have bad memories at this particular track in Phoenix AZ and I tend to never ride well there. I feel off and a little unfocused, which leads me to cutting my Motos short out of some stupid fear. Anyone experience something like this, or am I just being ridiculous?
I had the same exact thing happen on Tuesday.

Got to the track and just was not feeling it. Did one moto, came back and packed it up.

I think it happens to everyone at some point, sometimes. dont force it when you feel that way.
2/2/2022 7:52pm
Brent, thank you for this man. It's a nice reminder that I'm not alone.
brocster
2/2/2022 7:53pm
I second the pick the track apart Pick your favorite part as the start or first building block and add one piece at a time until you put it all together. It all starts on the onset of the decision. If your decision to go there is doubtful you will struggle. The glass is half full, go there to have fun a put it all together. Have fun with it with no expectations.

We’ve all been there and will continue to have “those days”. Our group has a saying “ride to ride another day!”
jeffro503
2/2/2022 7:57pm
I think I'm just more so venting and hoping for feedback from any other's experience. In short, I have bad memories at this particular track in...
Not sure who the A-hole was who down voted your original question , but I know exactly what you're talking about. In 40 years of racing / riding out here in the NW , there are some tracks that I felt really hesitant at after certain injuries. Some times it's not even that , but more to do with track prep ( like they changed or mixed some different top soils in and it just rode different ). I can only speak for myself on this , but after my really bad crash in 05' , which happened in a head on collision with another rider , it took me a good year before I stopped being in fear of what " might be " coming around the next corner or up the wrong way up the face of a jump , and that was after 6 years off!

I'm not kidding when I say this , but even a couple years after my bad wreck , I couldn't even day dream about riding. I'd see a front fender coming at me and it would startle the hell out of me. After 6 years off , it took me a good year of actually riding before all that started to go away.

I also learned from experience that when you are having an " Off day " , and nothing is clicking , it's some times wise , to load up and call it a day. There is always next weekend.
2/2/2022 8:01pm
Brocster, dude that means a lot. I really appreciate that message... The decision and "Have fun no expectations"... What a nice reminder and you're absolutely right man. Really appreciate you taking the time here.. All you dudes have been awesome.
2/2/2022 8:08pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Not sure who the A-hole was who down voted your original question , but I know exactly what you're talking about. In 40 years of racing...
Not sure who the A-hole was who down voted your original question , but I know exactly what you're talking about. In 40 years of racing / riding out here in the NW , there are some tracks that I felt really hesitant at after certain injuries. Some times it's not even that , but more to do with track prep ( like they changed or mixed some different top soils in and it just rode different ). I can only speak for myself on this , but after my really bad crash in 05' , which happened in a head on collision with another rider , it took me a good year before I stopped being in fear of what " might be " coming around the next corner or up the wrong way up the face of a jump , and that was after 6 years off!

I'm not kidding when I say this , but even a couple years after my bad wreck , I couldn't even day dream about riding. I'd see a front fender coming at me and it would startle the hell out of me. After 6 years off , it took me a good year of actually riding before all that started to go away.

I also learned from experience that when you are having an " Off day " , and nothing is clicking , it's some times wise , to load up and call it a day. There is always next weekend.
Haha, I'm not sure either, maybe it was by accident...
Jeffro, I really really appreciate this and you being vulnerable. Your story is crazy, scary and inspirational. I'm stoked to hear you're back at it! Thank you for this, it actually brings me peace with it... But I still want to conquer this, just as you did!
stone881
2/2/2022 8:08pm
I will reiterate on waiting and fear building. The more you think about it, you will begin to psyche yourself out. If I know I want...
Thank you Ricky Ross. I wish it were just one section or one jump... It's the whole dang track. But, I get what you're saying. I...
Thank you Ricky Ross. I wish it were just one section or one jump... It's the whole dang track. But, I get what you're saying. I just need to lean into the fear and get a gameplan together to build my confidence. Thank you for this man, appreciate you taking the time.
I guess I would have to add to the already stellar advice, is this track above your current skill set?

If it is, then like others said, improve whatever particular skill is related to this track causing troubles and go practice it somewhere that you can safely build confidence. That could be a particular section of this track, or that might be another riding spot entirely.

It isn't worth ruining your week over, it's just for fun, but I am sure we have all felt the same.
2/2/2022 8:20pm
It's been awesome advice stone881, as yours is too. I've ridden and raced the track many times... Back story, I took a little time off from riding, mainly due to injuries from this same track. I do love the idea of riding other tracks, build some confidence and come back to conquer it. Thank you for taking the time here man. You guys have given me a lot sound thoughts here.
McG194
2/2/2022 8:43pm
You may want to consider "Leaving on a high note."

By that I mean if you hit a certain section and absolutely grease it, then it's time to load up and go home. You will subconsciously remember and also have the muscle memory of accomplishing something good. Next time you come back you will be starting from that new higher level of riding. Lots of coaches won't end your practice (of any sport) until you get that "win'"

Unfortunately for me the same goes the other way. My wife likes to go trail riding with me, and her riding can best be described as sightseeing. If I ride with her and race the next day my brain is completely mis-wired at a much slower pace and I suck.
2/2/2022 8:58pm
Well said McG194. That's such a great mental thought to leave me with. You tend to forget these things. Thank you for all your thoughts here brother.
2/2/2022 9:23pm
How is your bike setup ? I change sag a lot and play with clickers. I got hurt at my main practice track too. Out of a corner ya hit a double click 3rd in the air . Land wo click 4 th wo then hit a steep faced triple. My x pro 125 had really fast rebound . It shot the rear wheel real quick to the sky. I jumped threw the bars and landed past the triple on the concrete hard clay and survived. The bike cartwheeled real quick and popped my rt boot and blew my acl. Next time I rode I slowed the rebound down and hit the jump. I knew it was the bike
2/3/2022 4:27am
Thank you for this, profesh. I got the bike pretty dialed in, I wish I could claim it being the bike. It's definitely me. Glad you're back after it
sandman768
2/3/2022 6:04am
I have been through this scenario many times in my 35 years of riding & racing. Sometimes I think this sport is all about over coming your fears…whatever they may be. Some good comments in here from others. No matter what, I always try to leave the track on a positive note, if you are not feeling it for some reason, work on starts or turn drills if you can. Watch a Pro or an A rider in the section you are struggling with, try to visualize yourself doing that section like the Pro. A few months ago, I had a bad crash over a pretty big, step down table top type of jump, my whole left side was bruised bad & I tweaked a knee… I had to take a month off, it was at the end of the day. I was feeling really good, first time at a new track with some intimidating jumps. I was hurting pretty good, but I still rode a few more motos, as others have stated, don’t like to leave the track on a bad note. Over the next month while waiting to heal up all I could think about was that jump & what the hell I did wrong…when I was ready to ride again, I went to a differently track where I am more confident just to make sure I was was ready to ride again but more importantly….. to get some confidence back…the next time I rode, I went to the track I crashed at….the hr long drive was filled with anxiety and fear of that jump. I rolled the jump the first lap of practice and the next lap I hit it…and then I hit it every time after that. My drive home that day was a feeling of relief and a sense of overcoming my fears…. I was proud of myself for not quitting and giving up on that track. It’s funny, that track is now my favorite down here in Florida….Everyone has fears when it comes to this sport, even top Pro”s…don’t beat yourself up over a day when you are not feeling it…
2/3/2022 6:18am
Sandman... This is EXTREMELY helpful. I greatly appreciate you taking the time here. It is a definite fear within me. Bridging the gap between the fear /concepts and tactical action was something I was looking for and all of you awesome dudes have given me so much to take with me. It's funny, you think that you're the only one that deals with this to the degree that you are. Great guys such as yourself and the other brave men here have reminded me that I/we are not alone. Love your story here sandman, thank you again brother.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
2/3/2022 8:24am
I've had plenty of bad days. I just ride slower and enjoy the day. I even had a raceday once when I wasn't feeling it, so halfway through the 2nd moto I said "F it, I'm done" and pulled off. Normally, I'm a "never quit" kind of rider. However, it's better to come back strong the next time than to be laid up for weeks from an injury.
Just don't sweat the details. You know how to ride. You know what obstacles you can do. Just go out and do them.
TeamGreen
2/3/2022 9:50am
Awesome thread of open thought and sharing the stuff we deal with when we ride.

If I were to put a finite point on "how" to get your head in the game and away from straying and getting side-tracked...

Go to the track with a plan. Make your riding day a "clinic". Go there to work on something specific: a certain turn/set of turns/kind of turn -or- part of the track. Work on the fundamentals...your arms/elbow position...your grip...your feet/foot position(Far too often over-looked) and basic body position.

You can work on things that make your riding so much better AND keep yourself "focused". These things often allow me to feel my ride was productive and I can actually see and acknowledge improvement...and...most importantly...I don't get caught up in things I don't like about the track nor do I let the "track traffic" interfere with my day. I just work around these things as part of my "daily clinic".

To super-simplify my point: Form is EVERYTHING. Focus on it.

I hope you have the best rides of your life as you grow thru this.

Manny
2/3/2022 9:53am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2022 9:58am
Falcon wrote:
I've had plenty of bad days. I just ride slower and enjoy the day. I even had a raceday once when I wasn't feeling it, so...
I've had plenty of bad days. I just ride slower and enjoy the day. I even had a raceday once when I wasn't feeling it, so halfway through the 2nd moto I said "F it, I'm done" and pulled off. Normally, I'm a "never quit" kind of rider. However, it's better to come back strong the next time than to be laid up for weeks from an injury.
Just don't sweat the details. You know how to ride. You know what obstacles you can do. Just go out and do them.
Love it, thank you for this Falcon. You're absolutely right. Thank you for sharing this. Building confidence through work and proof of concept. Really appreciate you taking the time man.
2/3/2022 9:57am
TeamGreen wrote:
Awesome thread of open thought and sharing the stuff we deal with when we ride. If I were to put a finite point on "how" to...
Awesome thread of open thought and sharing the stuff we deal with when we ride.

If I were to put a finite point on "how" to get your head in the game and away from straying and getting side-tracked...

Go to the track with a plan. Make your riding day a "clinic". Go there to work on something specific: a certain turn/set of turns/kind of turn -or- part of the track. Work on the fundamentals...your arms/elbow position...your grip...your feet/foot position(Far too often over-looked) and basic body position.

You can work on things that make your riding so much better AND keep yourself "focused". These things often allow me to feel my ride was productive and I can actually see and acknowledge improvement...and...most importantly...I don't get caught up in things I don't like about the track nor do I let the "track traffic" interfere with my day. I just work around these things as part of my "daily clinic".

To super-simplify my point: Form is EVERYTHING. Focus on it.

I hope you have the best rides of your life as you grow thru this.

Manny
Manny, dude thank you. Super tactical and I completely agree. I visually go through this and I'm going to put this into action, cause you're right, feeling of progress is everything and putting ourselves in that progress loop is everything. Confidence is the word I'm leaning into. Normally I'm one of the faster guys on the track, I just need to get my mind back in the game is you quoted. Thank you for sharing this man. Really really appreciated.
Talisker
2/3/2022 10:56am
This could be early signs that you maybe over it. See if the problem persist after a long break in between riding.
You may have other priorities or have developed other interest.

Post a reply to: Damnit... Didn't ride well again

The Latest