Dallas-Fort Worth Area Motocross

MM504
I recently moved back to the area a few months ago after a few years away. The last time I lived here I wasn't doing any riding and wasn't really up to speed on what was happening. I went out to Underground a couple months ago and think they have open practice days this weekend and was planning on getting that new Husky out there. Can someone give me a good rundown on what tracks are good and best suit an over 40 slow dude that just likes to ride and have fun talking with people at the track? I do plan on getting back to racing a few months from now. Thanks
|
cody341
12/26/2016 7:34am
My personal favorites are river valley and oak hill. Dirts always good
JAFO92
12/26/2016 7:38am
If that is your bike in your avatar, you could race the TVRC next year. There is a class 'GP5' and has A and B and over 50. Year model 2003 use to be the cut off for 2 strokes , but they have opened it up to 2008 for 2 strokes only

http://www.tvrc.org/classes.html

MM504
12/26/2016 8:00am
JAFO92 wrote:
If that is your bike in your avatar, you could race the TVRC next year. There is a class 'GP5' and has A and B and...
If that is your bike in your avatar, you could race the TVRC next year. There is a class 'GP5' and has A and B and over 50. Year model 2003 use to be the cut off for 2 strokes , but they have opened it up to 2008 for 2 strokes only

http://www.tvrc.org/classes.html

Yes, that is the 2017 TC250 I built. I do have a 1992 Suzuki RM250 that I am working on for vintage stuff as I have been trying to get that done off and on for a bit now. Thanks for the info.

The Shop

Cokeham23
12/26/2016 8:26am
River Valley, Oak Hill, The Compound MX in Weatherford, and Burleson MX are all pretty rider friendly. Village Creek is rebuilding their day track, the guy building it is a pretty badass track builder so that will be worth checking out when it's done.
If you wanna ease back into racing, check out Burleson, and Scramblecross. Both are really tame, and laid back racing.

If you ever see me at the track, come say what's up. #23 on a '17 KX250F, and/or KLX140 in an older white F-150.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2310th
12/26/2016 8:28am
MM504 wrote:
I recently moved back to the area a few months ago after a few years away. The last time I lived here I wasn't doing any...
I recently moved back to the area a few months ago after a few years away. The last time I lived here I wasn't doing any riding and wasn't really up to speed on what was happening. I went out to Underground a couple months ago and think they have open practice days this weekend and was planning on getting that new Husky out there. Can someone give me a good rundown on what tracks are good and best suit an over 40 slow dude that just likes to ride and have fun talking with people at the track? I do plan on getting back to racing a few months from now. Thanks
MM, Welcome, my friend! Glad to have more Vets to ride with! A couple tracks I would recommend and a Series you'll love if you want to race--easiest track, by far that I've found, is Swan over in Tyler, TX, no do or die stuff, and a really good group of people there. You've already found Underground, which I also love, and whenever you can get out to Freestone, I highly recommend it. The Texas Winter Series is starting up there next weekend if you feel like ringing in the new year on the track! The Moto Masters vet series is a must, it travels to a bunch of cool tracks about once a month, is just 25 and older classes so it's not a long day, and again, great people!
MM504
12/26/2016 9:14am
MM504 wrote:
I recently moved back to the area a few months ago after a few years away. The last time I lived here I wasn't doing any...
Graybeard wrote:
MM, Welcome, my friend! Glad to have more Vets to ride with! A couple tracks I would recommend and a Series you'll love if you want...
MM, Welcome, my friend! Glad to have more Vets to ride with! A couple tracks I would recommend and a Series you'll love if you want to race--easiest track, by far that I've found, is Swan over in Tyler, TX, no do or die stuff, and a really good group of people there. You've already found Underground, which I also love, and whenever you can get out to Freestone, I highly recommend it. The Texas Winter Series is starting up there next weekend if you feel like ringing in the new year on the track! The Moto Masters vet series is a must, it travels to a bunch of cool tracks about once a month, is just 25 and older classes so it's not a long day, and again, great people!
Thanks, Graybeard. I had a friend tell me the Moto Masters series is good and I am planning on doing that for sure. I just had a look at the site about it and starting in March will be good and it looks like I could do 40 and 45 C/D. Very nice.
MotoChris
12/26/2016 9:28am
We live in Arkansas but have been traveling to Texas for years because of the great tracks and competition. Oak Hill, Freestone, Swan, Underground (not necessarily in order) are some of our favorites but I haven't considered the things that you are looking for in a track as a vet rider since my son is the one racing. I will start to consider those things soon as I plan on riding again in the 40+. I quit racing in 2005 so I could focus on my sons' racing but now my 14 year old is pressuring me to ride again. Maybe I will see you on the starting gate soon. Good luck!
MM504
12/26/2016 10:09am
MotoChris wrote:
We live in Arkansas but have been traveling to Texas for years because of the great tracks and competition. Oak Hill, Freestone, Swan, Underground (not necessarily...
We live in Arkansas but have been traveling to Texas for years because of the great tracks and competition. Oak Hill, Freestone, Swan, Underground (not necessarily in order) are some of our favorites but I haven't considered the things that you are looking for in a track as a vet rider since my son is the one racing. I will start to consider those things soon as I plan on riding again in the 40+. I quit racing in 2005 so I could focus on my sons' racing but now my 14 year old is pressuring me to ride again. Maybe I will see you on the starting gate soon. Good luck!
I myself haven't actually raced since I think 2003 or early 2004 and rode a few times in late 2015 and now with the new bike, I plan on getting back out there and riding and racing again. Hopefully, our paths will cross at a local track.

Marty
Graybeard
Fantasy
2310th
12/26/2016 12:38pm
Marty,

Cokeham also brought up a great one for you, I totally forgot Burleson! That track is a true 1970s layout, even more laid back than Swan, and a total blast to race! I had such a great time there! And you HAVE to watch the pit bike races, they're a throwback to when moto was just about having fun (although some of those guys are flying on those pit bikes)!

Brian
kopfjaeger
12/26/2016 7:23pm
Handful of XC or HS series too. Get more seat time, some tracks resemble an old school mx track more than most
Mx tracks these days. TCCRA, TORO, and TORN. TORO is a winter series, torn is prob more mx like. TCCRA and TORO open practice on saturdays before races on sunday
Polarbear332
Fantasy
723rd
12/26/2016 8:09pm
Johnsonville MX Farm is great. A couple good size jumps, but not too bad. The dirt is a little sandy, and it gets really rough and fun.

Greenville Motorpark is a great practice track. They don't race, and hold practice at least 3 weekends a month. The guy who runs it tills it real deep, and it's good practice for long deep ruts.

I haven't been out to Underground yet, but I have heard good things. Oak Hill is always fun, and is super sandy. Swan is right up there with Johnsonville, and the dirt is fantastic! Unless you buy a practice membership, the only opportunities to ride out there is on race weekends. Freestone is a great track, but the only time to ride out there is on race weekends. They are involved in a few series down here, so you do get some opportunities to ride there. I have only been once, but Luckys Landing is pretty fun. No big jumps, and they have open practice almost everyday.

If you ever see me out at of the tracks, stop by and chat. I drive a White Dodge and have 16 Yamaha 450F #127.
Hudd_421
12/26/2016 9:42pm
Hey man, I'm in lewiville too! Come on over for a beer some time!
Thelen20
12/27/2016 8:05am
Based on what you said you are looking for give Johnsonville MX farm in yantis TX a try asap! Good times there!
JAFO92
12/27/2016 8:08am
MM504 wrote:
Yes, that is the 2017 TC250 I built. I do have a 1992 Suzuki RM250 that I am working on for vintage stuff as I have...
Yes, that is the 2017 TC250 I built. I do have a 1992 Suzuki RM250 that I am working on for vintage stuff as I have been trying to get that done off and on for a bit now. Thanks for the info.
Ooops, sorry about the bike mix up, I didnt look that closely at your avatar and saw the 2-stroke pipe and thought it was an older smoker. For sure your '92 would qualify !
IWreckALot
12/27/2016 10:38am
If you have any interest in cross country riding/ racing there are a ton of those series in the DFW area. When the seasons get kicked off, you can basically find any track to go ride practice on a weekend. Most of the series have a 4 or 5 hour practice slot on Saturdays. As I get older I like cross country more.
neysbo
12/27/2016 11:18am
Definitely be worth taking the trip down 45 to 3 Palms ( Bel Ray Action Sports Park). Maybe even spend a night and ride two days there. Several tracks and all vet friendly.
MM504
12/27/2016 11:27am
My father in law lives near 3 Palms and we are supposed to be going down there for a weekend and I am going to try to hit that place. What can you guys tell me about Swan? It seems to be pretty awesome if you get the yearly pass. Decisions, decisions for this weekend.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2310th
12/28/2016 5:17pm
FYI, Friday, December 30th is one of the few open practice days at Freestone if you have the day off!

Post a reply to: Dallas-Fort Worth Area Motocross

The Latest