Dakar 2022

LungButter
1/14/2022 8:15am
langhammx wrote:
He did so well. This race cost him over $111,000 to race. I’m told that he sold everything he dad to be able to give it...
He did so well. This race cost him over $111,000 to race. I’m told that he sold everything he dad to be able to give it a go. There is a GoFund me account that is still open, if anyone is feeling like they’d like to pitch in for his efforts…
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-mason-klein-rally-in-dakar
I don't really want to start a pissing match as I'm a huge fan of the kid but.... he's 20 years old and comes from a wealthy family. I really doubt he sold "everything he had" to be able to race. I'm sure he made some sacrifices and has done a ton of fundraising and a great job getting some sponsors on board but "selling everything you own" when you still live at home seems a little dramatic.

LungButter
1/14/2022 8:16am
I know off road contracts are miles better today than they used to be. And I know rally is a different beast all together. But, are...
I know off road contracts are miles better today than they used to be. And I know rally is a different beast all together. But, are the factory contracts really so high that it’s worth spending over a hundred grand for the opportunity to maybe land one? Never mind the probability of it all going to shit. But investing 6 figures, for ONE race in the hopes of landing a ride? Those teams better be kicking some serious jack down the line.
The guys on Factory Rides in Dakar make more than any other off road discipline, especially if they put in good results.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
1/14/2022 8:29am
LungButter wrote:
I don't really want to start a pissing match as I'm a huge fan of the kid but.... he's 20 years old and comes from a...
I don't really want to start a pissing match as I'm a huge fan of the kid but.... he's 20 years old and comes from a wealthy family. I really doubt he sold "everything he had" to be able to race. I'm sure he made some sacrifices and has done a ton of fundraising and a great job getting some sponsors on board but "selling everything you own" when you still live at home seems a little dramatic.

Someone pretty close to him told me this last night. I’m not interested in a pissing match either. I’m not the dramatic type, just reporting what I heard. I’ll let someone else with more inside, correct me if I’m wrong…
Not sure what you consider wealthy, but we live pretty close to each other and I’d consider myself middle class. His dad is a welder, if I’m not mistaken. Which by all means is a good gig.
This wasn’t his dads dream, it was Mason’s…
His parents definitely helped get him there, but it was his responsibility to figure out how to pay for it.
LungButter
1/14/2022 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2022 12:41pm
Looks like this was the last Dakar for the man in white.... Xavier de Soultrait. Always loved that dudes hard charging riding style, gonna miss him.

Merci Xavier! You always added excitement to the greatest race on earth!

Dude had swagger....

The Shop

rohleder644
1/14/2022 3:46pm
LungButter wrote:
The guys on Factory Rides in Dakar make more than any other off road discipline, especially if they put in good results.
Oh for sure. I just wonder what those numbers look like. And not from a TMZ point of view. I don’t really care what these dudes are putting in their pockets. More from a logistical standpoint. If we know (anecdotally) what it costs to get to the dance, I’m just wondering if the payoff is worth it. And I realize the same could be said about the total investment for anybody pursuing any dream. I just can’t believe how god damn expensive it is for one race.

Post a reply to: Dakar 2022

The Latest