Blood clots and Motocross athletes

Related:
Create New Tag

8/14/2017 9:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/14/2017 9:35 PM

Hi guys,

Serious post here about raising awareness on blood clotting (DVT) in athletes. Back in February I got pretty close to dying due to a blood clot (lost 50% of my blood one night). Around that time, I read the story of the professional supercross athlete Dylan Sausser who I believe developed a clot that unfortunately traveled to his brain.

Many endurance sport magazines are covering the topic, from Runners World, Ironman Magazine, and Cycling Weekly. With the increased training demands in motocross from the pros all the way down to the amateur level, I figured I would share some of this information with you all to raise awareness.

If anyone in your family has ever had a blood clot, have your blood tested for any blood clotting conditions. It may be a good thing to do regardless. Approximately 5 to 8% of the U.S. population has one of several genetic risk factors for a blood clotting disorder (I fall into that category). And 85% of air travel blood clot victims are athletic, or endurance athletes.

Here's where motocross comes in - low blood pressure, low resting heart rates, injuries, bruising, and thickening blood if you become dehydrated all increase the risk for developing a blood clot. There is a lot of other information online. Just google, "DVT and endurance athletes."

Right now I'm recovering from a big surgery at the Cleveland Clinic due to all this. Been detoxing off pain meds, not fun. A little prevention can go a long ways and possibly even safe a life.

Roll on,

http://www.active.com/articles/hidden-danger-dvt-in-endurance-athletes

|

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. ~ Samuel Johnson

8/14/2017 10:46 PM

Thanks for posting.

|

8/14/2017 11:56 PM

1. Routine testing is not indicated nor is it recommended
2. Testing + for a clotting propensity (factor V Leiden, protein C or S deficiency, prothrombin gene mutation, etc) does not mean you will ever have a clot
3. Anti-coagulation has serious side effects including death.

I would not recommend people to be tested for these genes unless they have first-degree relatives with these identified deficiencies and a history of DVT, PE, or other type of thrombosis.

A few thoughts from a practicing physician who sees blood clots on a weekly basis.

|

8/15/2017 2:29 AM

Heal up man!

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8/15/2017 4:53 AM

Walk as soon as possible and keep flexing those calves. I flex my calves all day long to get that circulation going. It's crazy that one single blood clot could end it all deepening on where it ends up.

I have a buddy who had a stroke on his mid 20s. He was pretty much addicted to his road bike and was habitually dehydrated. I always figured that was a contributing factor.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

8/15/2017 4:57 AM

MDMCG wrote:

1. Routine testing is not indicated nor is it recommended
2. Testing + for a clotting propensity (factor V Leiden, protein C or S deficiency, prothrombin gene mutation, etc) does not mean you will ever have a clot
3. Anti-coagulation has serious side effects including death.

I would not recommend people to be tested for these genes unless they have first-degree relatives with these identified deficiencies and a history of DVT, PE, or other type of thrombosis.

A few thoughts from a practicing physician who sees blood clots on a weekly basis.

Thanks for the additional information. After all this happened to me I found out my mother developed a clot in her leg. Then she recently told me her mother and grandmother had clots too. I think I know what you're referring to on number three, but I'll be asking my doc about it today.

Crush, thanks for the well wishes.

|

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. ~ Samuel Johnson

8/15/2017 6:19 AM

I was just visiting a good friend in the hospital Sunday who has factor 5, he fell into his fireplace and had a nasty bruise on his leg . They pulled out a baseball size chunk of grape jelly looking shit. Now he has a giant hole in his thigh with suction hooked up til it heals . He was diagnosed last year ,a bunch of his family members tested positive for it as well.

|

8/15/2017 6:44 AM

DVT is very common. The calf is the most common place for a blood clot to develop. When mine developed, I thought I had pulled my calf muscle.

|