DV has his s*** figured out

yz25
3/28/2019 3:08am
dv12.com wrote:
I wouldn't say I have my stuff figured out. A lot of my stuff isn't... I'm divorced, I've lived alone for the last 7 years, I...
I wouldn't say I have my stuff figured out. A lot of my stuff isn't... I'm divorced, I've lived alone for the last 7 years, I learn everyday how to best myself as a father and I don't know much about anything else other than SX or MX... I do have the luxury not to rely on anyone's paycheck. I've made my money. I paid my divorced settlement in 1 deed signature and 1 wire transfer. Never blew money. Always invested and most importantly, I'm living very modestly compare to what I could be doing... I live in a "cheap" area of California. I drive a $15k VW Passat. I don't own any toys. My houses are paid. I'm currently scaling down to a 1800sqft townhouse. I wasn't good enough to make RC's or Reedy's money so I can't ball in their league but/and I don't mind shopping at Ross or Aldi haha. But you can't tell someone has his stuff figured out based on money made and wealth management. I'm just a former SX/MX pro who never really won anything important. And that's nothing to get excited about...

As of coming off as an arrogant a**hole, I do play this role a lot to annoy people on purpose. I enjoy more to be hated for what I'm not than liked for who I am... My few close friends or my family know I'm not that much of an a**hole in private (or not nearly as bad anyway haha). I don't mind pissing a lot of people off, it's my way to screen people in my life. The ones who stick around have to be good then...
Each post and interview I become a bigger fan of DV12. Would like to see him involved with the racing broadcast in sometype of fashion.
Ray_MXS
3/28/2019 4:40am
DV is da man.

We need more of this "no bullshit" in the sport that's so full of sponsor rambling on podiums, hiding injuries and no emotion interviews.

The more DV the better Tongue
Sideways
3/28/2019 5:28am
Good for him.

He’s still annoying to listen to on pulp. Not surprised he’s divorced....lol
I think he is one of the best guests on Pulp. Love when he is on, always says how it is and makes me laugh my ass of Smile
tingo
3/28/2019 5:47am
Love the unfiltered advice and opinions. I sure wish my shit riding looked like Dylan's.

As for being financially secure, it simply boils down to living below one's means. Do that for X number of years and you'll accumulate enough savings to retire or at least coast for a while before working again. It's maths and it's liberating as hell.

The Shop

aharper33
3/28/2019 6:01am
I like the fact that DV plays the asshole. I think there are way to many "yes men" in these guys corners telling them exactly what they want to hear all of the time.
alphado
3/28/2019 6:12am
I remember when the Nationals were 2 Day events. High Point was a muddy mess on Saturday and DV was one of the only factory guys out there riding in the mud.

He was one of the few riders that would interact with the fans online too. I have always been a fan of his, still have one of his jerseys hanging up in the man cave.

Paw Paw 271
3/28/2019 6:15am
I meet DV many years ago at SWAN MX in Tyler, Texas at the Pro Challenge. He was very respectful and I enjoyed our conversation. I have been a fan from that point forward.

Paw Paw
Bultaco
3/28/2019 6:17am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2019 6:18am
David is a cool one and living life on his terms since I’ve been aware of him in the US. He was a regular on Mototalk. And as proven in this thread, does not mind chiming in to set the record straight.

A funny story indirectly involving DV12, (DV99 at the time). At Steel City 1999, the last national of the year, the season all but over, under the awning in full view of everyone, Yamaha was building up a 250 for David who would be coming over from France for the USGP at Budd’s the next week. Across the pits, Jeff Emig was having some controversy regarding a bad decision or two and was out of a ride at Kawasaki. The Yamaha guys, trying to have some fun, put Jeff’s number 11 on a number plate and “innocently” set it on top of the parts going onto Davids bike.

All the presence David has maintained over the years with his ups and downs, shows that he is human like the rest of us. More or less. Most humans still can’t navigate supercross course and expect to live to tell about it.
Crossup
3/28/2019 6:28am
I've always respected DV for his hard work as a racer and his direct no BS opinions. The best guest on Pulp MX by a long shot. I also had dinner with him and Shenzi once. After I realized that I still need to brush up on my French!
motomike137
3/28/2019 11:20am
He’s arrogant, but everything he’s saying is correct. He is right about minimizing body movement etc. smooth is fast. No clutch, no rear brake, no excessive...
He’s arrogant, but everything he’s saying is correct. He is right about minimizing body movement etc. smooth is fast. No clutch, no rear brake, no excessive movements. All perfect advice. Especially in an era where leg swag and super excessive scrubbing is everywhere.
I wish he could spend some time with Barcia and get that to sink in.
3/28/2019 11:30am
Good for him.

Crush wrote:
Wow
Middleside wrote:
Hes mentioned it on the show many times. They also talk about Rcs GLs and Rynos recent divorce. Seems to uphold the 50% rule. Recently they...
Hes mentioned it on the show many times. They also talk about Rcs GLs and Rynos recent divorce. Seems to uphold the 50% rule. Recently they mentioned someone else but cant remember who.
RC is divorced?
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
3/28/2019 11:35am
Good for him.

Given they seem to still get along and she was one of the first people to congratulate him after the wins last week you should probably reconsider your rude statement.
shuggs
3/28/2019 12:04pm
I like the attitude like others have said, if only some current riders were like this and not afraid of upsetting teams or sponsors
crowe176
3/28/2019 12:21pm
Always stoked when DV's in studio, or when he posts. It's easy to see the kind of guy he is with 10 seconds on his social media. I dig his no bs attitude, no fucks given way of getting the point across. I've been a huge fan since the motodrive/bushwood days.

Thank you for sticking around Cobra!
PTshox
3/28/2019 12:29pm
I don’t get the “he’s arrogant” comments at all. DV is just laying it out. Delivering tough love. This is so much positive in what he’s doing…. The guys that just want people to tell them they are “great” will never be at their best.

DV is awesome!
coastie44
3/28/2019 12:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2019 12:33pm
dv12.com wrote:
I wouldn't say I have my stuff figured out. A lot of my stuff isn't... I'm divorced, I've lived alone for the last 7 years, I...
I wouldn't say I have my stuff figured out. A lot of my stuff isn't... I'm divorced, I've lived alone for the last 7 years, I learn everyday how to best myself as a father and I don't know much about anything else other than SX or MX... I do have the luxury not to rely on anyone's paycheck. I've made my money. I paid my divorced settlement in 1 deed signature and 1 wire transfer. Never blew money. Always invested and most importantly, I'm living very modestly compare to what I could be doing... I live in a "cheap" area of California. I drive a $15k VW Passat. I don't own any toys. My houses are paid. I'm currently scaling down to a 1800sqft townhouse. I wasn't good enough to make RC's or Reedy's money so I can't ball in their league but/and I don't mind shopping at Ross or Aldi haha. But you can't tell someone has his stuff figured out based on money made and wealth management. I'm just a former SX/MX pro who never really won anything important. And that's nothing to get excited about...

As of coming off as an arrogant a**hole, I do play this role a lot to annoy people on purpose. I enjoy more to be hated for what I'm not than liked for who I am... My few close friends or my family know I'm not that much of an a**hole in private (or not nearly as bad anyway haha). I don't mind pissing a lot of people off, it's my way to screen people in my life. The ones who stick around have to be good then...
BobPA wrote:
You should mentor young athletes about money management. Lots of ex-NBA and NFL players would pay good money to not end up on 30 for 30.
mikec265 wrote:
All they need to do is research what self made, non-celebrity, millionaires do. It's all over the internet for free. Basically common sense. Don't waste money...
All they need to do is research what self made, non-celebrity, millionaires do. It's all over the internet for free. Basically common sense. Don't waste money, and invest wisely.
Sorry but it is just not that easy. Or if it is, please share your web sites so I can beat the market and retire now .

I have a couple of kids and even though they “know” what to do (because we taught them), they still benefit from mentoring. My oldest decided mom and dad didn’t know shit, until everyone else told him the same thing lol.

BobbyM
3/28/2019 12:37pm
DV is super cool and was always very friendly... Most of the time. He was one of the best racers to ever come to the US to race and to win, which he did. I'm glad he is doing great and that he didn't leave America. Keep on truckin David.
3/28/2019 2:08pm
PTshox wrote:
I don’t get the “he’s arrogant” comments at all. DV is just laying it out. Delivering tough love. This is so much positive in what he’s...
I don’t get the “he’s arrogant” comments at all. DV is just laying it out. Delivering tough love. This is so much positive in what he’s doing…. The guys that just want people to tell them they are “great” will never be at their best.

DV is awesome!
I think often times people get arrogance and self-assurance confused. One involves a person going out of their way to make their opinion known and the other (DV) waits for the questions to come to them before expressing their opinion.
rosebud441
3/28/2019 3:01pm
I've been a DV fan since the 98 Seattle SX when i saw the cobra in action on a sweet YZ-125..

Think he won that evening... he was just a tall skinny kid with more riding style in his big toe than most of that era except for MC..
3/28/2019 3:43pm
JAFO92 wrote:
Cobra is a cool mofo and has always been generous as they come. I emailed him years ago about a benefit race I was helping to...
Cobra is a cool mofo and has always been generous as they come. I emailed him years ago about a benefit race I was helping to put on, DV boxed up and sent me signed gear that same day personally.

Remember this one? Tongue

https://youtu.be/L2EyqdAxAZg Tongue
I always wondered if DV was m-fing and chewing out SR in French or in English?
jeffro503
3/28/2019 3:52pm
dv12.com wrote:

I don't care what any of the other's think. I've always dug ya David , so keep on , keeping on!
level
3/28/2019 7:19pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2019 7:20pm
It’s pretty telling when a wife leaves after your career is over. Of course I don’t have the details and they may have had very good reason but the whole through better or worse seems not to click on many women’s minds in today’s day and age. Pisses me off. RC dv and Langston. I will honestly be completely bummed if reed gets divorced.

I’ve been married twice and single for 8 years now and it’s all about my 8 year old daughter. I’ll be a lonely fuck when I get older and I am 45 now but I do tend to like my own company and crippling anxiety doesn’t go over well in social situations so I tend not to leave the house and do fun stuff or have any friends. But I digress. Keep it up dv. I was just watching an 06 race the other day and was cool to see you.
3/28/2019 7:54pm
level wrote:
It’s pretty telling when a wife leaves after your career is over. Of course I don’t have the details and they may have had very good...
It’s pretty telling when a wife leaves after your career is over. Of course I don’t have the details and they may have had very good reason but the whole through better or worse seems not to click on many women’s minds in today’s day and age. Pisses me off. RC dv and Langston. I will honestly be completely bummed if reed gets divorced.

I’ve been married twice and single for 8 years now and it’s all about my 8 year old daughter. I’ll be a lonely fuck when I get older and I am 45 now but I do tend to like my own company and crippling anxiety doesn’t go over well in social situations so I tend not to leave the house and do fun stuff or have any friends. But I digress. Keep it up dv. I was just watching an 06 race the other day and was cool to see you.
I think Reed's wife has stuck through the hard times. At least it seems that way to me. But it must suck when someone leaves you when the career ends. I think we've all been in a place thinking someone loved us and found out in the end, it wasn't what we thought.
3/28/2019 8:50pm
Another cool thing about DV12 is that he'll come on here and interact with us. It's always nice to get the perspective from someone who rode at the level DV did. Pingree does from time to time, as well as JT$ (haven't seen him in a while on here). I wish more riders did, but I understand why they wouldn't as well.
dkg
3/28/2019 9:51pm
DV, thanks for sharing. I’ve always appreciated your insight and approach. Being a great parent is always a work in process. I’ve got a few years on you and am still learning. On the plus side I now get to spoil the grand kids. Keep up the good fight.

Post a reply to: DV has his s*** figured out

The Latest