DF14 in '22

RandomUserName
Fantasy
2763rd
Edited Date/Time 1/8/2022 8:44am
Was just watching the Preview show and was struck by how little time they spend on DF14. He doesn't have the TV charisma as a KR94 or CW2 or AC9....and he's sort of an afterthought.

That said, he just laid the smackdown on the outdoors - handsomely. If he comes out and grabs a points lead in the early rounds, we might be watching a "changing of the guard" to the next dominant rider. He could potentially tear off a few championships in a row if he can take this season.

Who knows if he can do it - but it would be interesting to watch.

Just some musings on a Sunday evening.
|
CPR
1/2/2022 6:25pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2022 6:26pm
Easy answer; Ferrandis only has a single 450 SX podium to date. He’ll likely change that this year, but whether he can be a title contender in SX come the latter part of the season is unknown as yet.

And did you really say Webb has TV charisma?!
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
1/2/2022 6:40pm
tmphotoart wrote:
[b]DF14 = 2022 SX & MX CHAMPION [i](Stamp it)[/i][/b] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/01/02/526130/s1200_PALAN_2020_250M2_50D_IMG_2952_tmp.jpg[/img]
DF14 = 2022 SX & MX CHAMPION (Stamp it)

There’s always someone….

“Stamp it” ?

Not that he’s not capable, but that’s a pretty big statement !

The Shop

mx 219
Fantasy
974th
1/2/2022 6:41pm
All I know is Im not picking Fernandez (sic), AC, or Sexton to win a race for fantasy until they actually win one.

Sure they are all very capable, shoot AC and Sexton were yarding everyone last yr at the 2nx round i believe it was and they both hit the deck.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
1/2/2022 6:45pm
langhammx wrote:
There’s always someone….

“Stamp it” ?

Not that he’s not capable, but that’s a pretty big statement !
I wouldn't say stamp it, but don't be surprised if he looks different than 2021.

I'm rooting for him to get it done.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
1/2/2022 6:48pm
I hope he does well this year. Dylan showed plenty of speed last year multiple times, just needed to put himself in better race positions.
Broseph
1/2/2022 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2022 6:58pm
This past summer he showed more aggression than anyone else out there. So fun to watch someone who visibly really, really wants to win. Hoping he carries that into the SX season.

Edit: Aggression towards the track, not towards his competitors.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
1/2/2022 6:54pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I wouldn't say stamp it, but don't be surprised if he looks different than 2021.

I'm rooting for him to get it done.
He’s a racer and I have a lot of respect for him. I’d like to see him up front in SX, but he’s got a fast group of riders to try and beat !
RandomUserName
Fantasy
2763rd
1/2/2022 7:04pm
CPR wrote:
Easy answer; Ferrandis only has a single 450 SX podium to date. He’ll likely change that this year, but whether he can be a title contender...
Easy answer; Ferrandis only has a single 450 SX podium to date. He’ll likely change that this year, but whether he can be a title contender in SX come the latter part of the season is unknown as yet.

CW2 had created this whole "bad boy" storyline that plays well with TV. I agree that he doesn't have Ken/AC/Moose/Eli level of media skills, but he's got an "angle". that's all I meant. Thanks for chiming in. We'll see how it goes, huh?
APLMAN99
1/2/2022 7:08pm
I think that getting through his first 450SX season relatively injury free was a great strategy. He's got tremendous speed, I don't think that anyone could doubt that. I expect him to be much better than he was last SX season, the only real worry is whether his aggression translates into trips over the bars or not. If it doesn't, I'd say that he finished inside the top 3 and maybe pulls off the title depending on injuries to Roczen, Webb, Tomac, etc.
Mavetism
1/2/2022 7:11pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2022 7:33pm
CW2 had created this whole "bad boy" storyline that plays well with TV. I agree that he doesn't have Ken/AC/Moose/Eli level of media skills, but he's...
CW2 had created this whole "bad boy" storyline that plays well with TV. I agree that he doesn't have Ken/AC/Moose/Eli level of media skills, but he's got an "angle". that's all I meant. Thanks for chiming in. We'll see how it goes, huh?
Webb's "red plate" on a pit board in front of Kenny's gate was one of the most badass things I've seen in a long time.. And this comes from a die hard Kenny fan.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
1/2/2022 7:21pm
langhammx wrote:
He’s a racer and I have a lot of respect for him. I’d like to see him up front in SX, but he’s got a fast...
He’s a racer and I have a lot of respect for him. I’d like to see him up front in SX, but he’s got a fast group of riders to try and beat !
I believe he can run up-front.

He got 1 podium in 2021 with minimal time on the bike. He's now got over a year on the bike, a 450 championship to his name, and he's coming in with a head full of confidence. That on top of going back to a regular SX schedule I think will help with testing between rounds.

A lot of time in 2021 he was the fastest guy and made the most passes. We just didn't see it because he didn't have the best starts. That seems to have changed.

I hope he gets it done for 2 reasons:

1. I'm a fan
2. To finally put an end to the "blue pig" term the Yamaha 450 is associated with.
Gravel
1/2/2022 7:41pm
Dylan is riding the same bike as last year, that’s usually a good thing for first half of the season results. The KTM and Husky teams are on new bikes, ET is on a new bike to him, that leaves AC, Barcia and Team Honda also having bike/rider consistency from last season. I’m thinking that puts Barcia, Ferrandis, Sexton and Roczen in the top 5 at the first few races.

No stamps though, I don’t know anyone who knows anyone who knows who’s flying at the test track..
kylemenz1
Fantasy
933rd
1/2/2022 7:47pm
CPR wrote:
Easy answer; Ferrandis only has a single 450 SX podium to date. He’ll likely change that this year, but whether he can be a title contender...

How many 450 motocross wins did he have before the season he won the outdoor title?
CPR
1/2/2022 8:16pm
CPR wrote:

kylemenz1 wrote:
How many 450 motocross wins did he have before the season he won the outdoor title?
Which is why it was a complete surprise that he was so dominant.

I’m not saying he can’t win in SX, he certainly could, just that it’s the reason he didn’t get a lot of time in the season preview, as the OP asked.
nskerb
1/2/2022 8:43pm
Yeah his speed was more or less there all season. Terrible starts and first lap mishaps really messed his season up. I’m not gonna look back but I’m pretty sure there were quite a few times he came from the back to get in the top 10 and he was throwing down some of the quickest main event lap times later in the main.
It was his rookie year. Both he and his team will have a lot more time invested in development of the bike setup for SX specifically. I think (or at least hope) he’ll be coming out swinging.
Moto88
1/2/2022 10:14pm
I think that what’s really going to help him out (and the other Star riders) is that Star is allowing any changes to the bike unlike Factory Yamaha did. Saw it in the outdoors!
1/2/2022 10:34pm
nskerb wrote:
Yeah his speed was more or less there all season. Terrible starts and first lap mishaps really messed his season up. I’m not gonna look back...
Yeah his speed was more or less there all season. Terrible starts and first lap mishaps really messed his season up. I’m not gonna look back but I’m pretty sure there were quite a few times he came from the back to get in the top 10 and he was throwing down some of the quickest main event lap times later in the main.
It was his rookie year. Both he and his team will have a lot more time invested in development of the bike setup for SX specifically. I think (or at least hope) he’ll be coming out swinging.
Daytona he can show what he’s got. The rest of the tracks are follow the leader. It really doesn’t matter who wins them, the tracks are so bland
1/3/2022 1:57am
CPR wrote:

kylemenz1 wrote:
CPR wrote:
Which is why it was a complete surprise that he was so dominant. I’m not saying he can’t win in SX, he certainly could, just that...
Which is why it was a complete surprise that he was so dominant.

I’m not saying he can’t win in SX, he certainly could, just that it’s the reason he didn’t get a lot of time in the season preview, as the OP asked.
DF 14 has won 2 SX titles in 19 and 20 , its not like he sucks at SX and i dont see any reason why he cant win on a 450 after last years dominance in outdoors .. he doesnt need to win that much if he is as consistant as in outdoors
Motofinne
1/3/2022 2:22am
There was a race last year where he crashed in the start or in the beginning of the main. He ended up continuing about a straight ahead of the lead pack and they never caught and lapped him.

Ferrandis had a couple of those kind of races last year where he was very fast but for various reasons didn't get any good results from the good riding and good speed.

If he can figure out the starts and the first couple of laps, he will win races and he will be a consistent top 5 rider thus being in the fight for the title.
1/3/2022 5:48am
If he figures out the 450 in sx he will be very hard to beat, he's got a similar mentality to Webb.
Antonioni
1/3/2022 5:55am Edited Date/Time 1/3/2022 6:13am
Despite the very good speed shown at times, Dylan told this autumn, in non-american press, that he struggled a lot with the bike all along the supercross season (nothing surprising at all for those who have seen the races with a brain). And thus he wasn't able to push the speed intensity.
He pretty much said that most of the time, his bike was a wild horse, with a crazy erratic chassis/torq dynamic.

During this off-season he worked on that and said that he found solutions, at the point that he retrieves a lot of his 250 feelings.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
1/3/2022 6:09am
Ferrandis was at times the fastest guy on the track last year. If he can get starts he will give Webb and Tomac fits.
kongols
1/3/2022 7:49am
Changing of the guard? Easy there. He`ll be 28 by the end of SX season. The same is for Roczen. And wow- Tomac will be 30 this year.
I can see changing of the guard if Adam or Sexton get their shit together.
Motoxdoc
1/3/2022 7:55am
Was just watching the Preview show and was struck by how little time they spend on DF14. He doesn't have the TV charisma as a KR94...
Was just watching the Preview show and was struck by how little time they spend on DF14. He doesn't have the TV charisma as a KR94 or CW2 or AC9....and he's sort of an afterthought.

That said, he just laid the smackdown on the outdoors - handsomely. If he comes out and grabs a points lead in the early rounds, we might be watching a "changing of the guard" to the next dominant rider. He could potentially tear off a few championships in a row if he can take this season.

I believe he has charisma personality passion and everything else….some of that may be lost in translation due to English not being his first language. He wins championships, has a beautiful wife and a next generation mullet…what more could you want?
gt80rider
1/3/2022 8:11am
Was just watching the Preview show and was struck by how little time they spend on DF14. He doesn't have the TV charisma as a KR94...

the 9 has a solid bit of tv charisma.... the 94 a chunk less.. and the 2 might as well have a brick talking.... save Jett, none of our current top guys are good on tv.... none of them have what MC had as far as "it" factor/charisma.... thinking about it, RC was the worst and def didn't do our sport any favors when his helmet was off... but Bubba was always good on tv....
shuggs
1/3/2022 9:19am
IF he has figured some improvement with bike he should be in with a good shout for wins
Zycki11
1/3/2022 10:48am
Last year was minimal testing due to injury, coupled with a guy who is now battling the people he respects the most. Fast forward to outdoors and he found himself with more time on the 450, much more testing, and winning against the very people that hold a blockade in your brain. Dylan will be much better this year and I am excited to see how he stacks up. As far as mental fortitude, I see him(currently) as the only one who will not be mentally manipulated by Webb. Good year of racing ahead!

Post a reply to: DF14 in '22

The Latest