DC's Weird Moto History

bayodome
Fantasy
4282nd
Always love these types of stories: the random nuances of MX history that are probably insignificant to casual enthusiasts but are fascinating to moto-nerds like me.

TRULY UNBREAKABLE RECORDS

Never realized the bit about Steve Lamson being the only 125cc rider to outright win a moto at the MXdN. My moto knowledge starts to get pretty fuzzy for anything pre-1990, so I always thought Johnny O had won at least one moto at Maggiora in '86 since that performance is discussed so often.

Thanks DC! Keep 'em coming!
|
JBlain619
7/17/2020 6:56am
I agree Bayo. DC's stories always take me back to when I was a kid.

Hey DC, I have a rebuttal to the LL Danny Storbeck record. Does Greg Rand's 3 titles in 1993 not count because of the International class? I did not know about Danny's record, I always thought Greg was the only one to win 3.
Rad76
7/17/2020 8:52am
Yep it’s cool. It’s also worth noticing that Lammy beat another 125 for this moto win, a young Seb Tortelli.
DC
7/17/2020 10:37am
JBlain619 wrote:
I agree Bayo. DC's stories always take me back to when I was a kid. Hey DC, I have a rebuttal to the LL Danny Storbeck...
I agree Bayo. DC's stories always take me back to when I was a kid.

Hey DC, I have a rebuttal to the LL Danny Storbeck record. Does Greg Rand's 3 titles in 1993 not count because of the International class? I did not know about Danny's record, I always thought Greg was the only one to win 3.
Haha, good memory... That "International" class was a bad idea. It was more like an exhibition class, as there were only 16 riders and no one had to qualify for it, and it only lasted one year. So no, it doesn't really count as a national class!

DC
Racer X

The Shop

DC
7/17/2020 10:39am
bayodome wrote:
Always love these types of stories: the random nuances of MX history that are probably insignificant to casual enthusiasts but are fascinating to moto-nerds like me...
Always love these types of stories: the random nuances of MX history that are probably insignificant to casual enthusiasts but are fascinating to moto-nerds like me.

Never realized the bit about Steve Lamson being the only 125cc rider to outright win a moto at the MXdN. My moto knowledge starts to get pretty fuzzy for anything pre-1990, so I always thought Johnny O had won at least one moto at Maggiora in '86 since that performance is discussed so often.

Thanks Bayo, I really enjoy digging up nuggets like these records, though I did miss one, as one of the readers commented: Magoo sweeping all four motos of the MXON and Trophee des Nations in 1982! I will revisit that in Racerhead today.

DC
Racer X
7/17/2020 11:29am
Love these types of stories, especially 70s/80s, and anything New England related (the lone RI/Pine Top national, NESC guys finishing ahead of nationals riders at the Southwick nationals, Trans AMA ,stuff like Pepperal, etc)
7/17/2020 7:44pm
Damon Huffman on a 125 won SX 4 races in 93, 94 I forget how many, in 95 he dominated. Might be a record of 20 straight podiums. I don,t think anyone ever did that.Smile
7/17/2020 8:11pm
McGrath winning his 1st SX 125 title in 91, with a broken leg. Could also be a record.Smile I remember reading that in the ama magazine in 91.
motomike137
7/17/2020 9:54pm
I think I have another one. The Hurricane won in Pontiac 9 times or something like that. He owned the place.
DC
7/18/2020 6:59am
I think I have another one. The Hurricane won in Pontiac 9 times or something like that. He owned the place.
Good one, Mike, he did in fact win nine times at the Silverdome, including six in a row from 1977-'79 when he swept the doubleheader there for three straight years. He was 9 for 12 in visits to Pontiac, which maybe makes Hannah's Silverdome winning percentage the highest of any rider in any stadium with more than six racers (I just randomly picked six because of the one- or two-offs where the series didn't visit often, like Talladega or Buffalo or Kansas City)

DC
Racer X
TeamGreen
7/18/2020 10:57am
bayodome wrote:
Always love these types of stories: the random nuances of MX history that are probably insignificant to casual enthusiasts but are fascinating to moto-nerds like me...

DC wrote:
Thanks Bayo, I really enjoy digging up nuggets like these records, though I did miss one, as one of the readers commented: Magoo sweeping all four...
Thanks Bayo, I really enjoy digging up nuggets like these records, though I did miss one, as one of the readers commented: Magoo sweeping all four motos of the MXON and Trophee des Nations in 1982! I will revisit that in Racerhead today.

DC
Racer X
Discuss it with Roger...he has a lot of perspective on those races and Danny...
SWOHIO GUY
7/18/2020 3:31pm
I would say something we may never see again is a rider ride for Puerto Rico early in his career and progress themselves to the US team like Osborne and Alex Martin have. Or a rider winning the MXofN overall and ISDE overall like Everts did in 2004.
DC
7/20/2020 9:23am
SWOHIO GUY wrote:
I would say something we may never see again is a rider ride for Puerto Rico early in his career and progress themselves to the US...
I would say something we may never see again is a rider ride for Puerto Rico early in his career and progress themselves to the US team like Osborne and Alex Martin have. Or a rider winning the MXofN overall and ISDE overall like Everts did in 2004.
Good points on Everts' amazing double, as well as Puerto Rico, but don't forget that in 1989 Billy Liles rode for Luxembourg, and then when few of the top Americans wanted to ride in 1992 (Stanton, Bradshaw, Kiedrowski, etc.) and even DeCoster decided not to manage the team, the AMA's Roy Janson called Liles and asked him to ride the 500 for Team USA alongside Emig and LaRocco, and they ended up winning in Australia!

DC
Racer X
bents
Fantasy
710th
7/20/2020 9:29am
DC, while I am blown away by your passion for these cool and ultimately unbreakable records, don't you, have like, shit to do????
lestat
7/20/2020 11:45am
DC wrote:
Thanks Bayo, I really enjoy digging up nuggets like these records, though I did miss one, as one of the readers commented: Magoo sweeping all four...

DC
Racer X
This was and still is , the most unexpected result I have seen in pro moto . To sweep those two races a week apart against that level of talent ? Unimaginable to me .... my mind was blown .

Post a reply to: DC's Weird Moto History

The Latest