DC Vet Homecoming Nationals at High Point

OldPro277
Kudos to DC on hosting another great event honoring Big Dave. The turnout was UNBELIEVABLE and racing and track were great !! Saturday's GP track got a bit dusty, but Sunday's National track was kept in tip top shape. The Moto's ran late into early Sunday evening but we left at 6:15 after my son in laws 2nd 450 moto and I think there were 10/12 more motos to run .

If this event keeps growing, DC may have to start running some motos on Saturday after the GP stuff. Maybe run the Vintage moto's on Saturday on a tamed down National track ? That circuit is pretty difficult with 7"/4" suspension, lmao !!!

A large number of Vintage bikes (40+?) were on display and plans are to expand the viewing area to accommodate even more next year according to DC

And I finally got to tell DC my Big Dave story and what a classy guy he was when I got balled-up in High-Points original super fast first-turn on Mothers Day 1977. Spent almost 30 days in WVU Hospital and Big Dave came twice a week to check in on me. Meant a lot to me. Truly a legend in the sport, and I'm sure he'd be quite proud of how little Davey has taken over the reigns and has carried on and grown the Coombs Legacy.
|
tiddlermx23
9/24/2019 9:08am
Had a great time Saturday in the GP race. Gonna go again next year.
AH387
9/24/2019 9:16am
I love that event. I raced it also, this Sunday. The track prep was great, considering how many racers and how hot/dusty it has been in PA lately. I was also pleased that they had the quad jump opened up, since they usually cut that section out. My only complaint was it was way, way too long of a day. I actually didn't even run my 2nd moto because we all weren't able to get home so late. I expected to be out of there around 430-5 like years' past but it was only intermission at like 330-4 and there were 24 motos. So that was a big time downer for me. I'm sure it was a bigger turn-out than it usually is, and that was maybe part of it. Just my input, not trying to be a downer. It's my favorite event of the year, but that was a little ridiculous, this year.

The Shop

MXVet261
Fantasy
4078th
9/24/2019 11:39am
I won the vintage gear contest and got 2 passes to the 2020 HP national!
AH387
9/24/2019 12:44pm
MXVet261 wrote:
Congrats. I for sure liked looking at all of the vintage stuff.
OldPro277
9/24/2019 12:51pm
MXVet261 wrote:
AH387 wrote:
Congrats. I for sure liked looking at all of the vintage stuff.
The vintage stuff is the main reason I go , I only took one bike to show this year (my 1977 XR75) , but DC featured it on his Facebook page and RacerX IG . Smile so that was cool .
MXVet261
Fantasy
4078th
9/24/2019 12:58pm
That was your XR? That thing was sweet.

I took a couple bikes for the show in 2017 but didn't make the event last year. This year I didn't feel like dragging bikes out of storage so I just brought the gear....

I agree with the event timing....if it was my decision......

I would make the GP ONE 45 minute moto instead of 2-30 min motos. Get the GP out of the way early and then run the vintage MX classes on Saturday as was suggested.
OldPro277
9/24/2019 1:27pm
Yeah that was mine,thanks ! I have a thread over in "Old school" that I posted a few weeks back on it. Came out nicer than I expected ,lol. A couple years ago I took 3 of my vintage show bikes, but this year was a last minute decision and since the Mini was my most recent build ,I figured I'd take it. Congrats on the Vintage Gear award !! I brought an original Moto-X Fox jersey from 1977 ,but evidently your stuff was cooler ,lol
AH387
9/25/2019 5:14am
MXVet261 wrote:
That was your XR? That thing was sweet. I took a couple bikes for the show in 2017 but didn't make the event last year. This...
That was your XR? That thing was sweet.

I took a couple bikes for the show in 2017 but didn't make the event last year. This year I didn't feel like dragging bikes out of storage so I just brought the gear....

I agree with the event timing....if it was my decision......

I would make the GP ONE 45 minute moto instead of 2-30 min motos. Get the GP out of the way early and then run the vintage MX classes on Saturday as was suggested.
Ya I'm not sure what the best solution is. Maybe get rid of the support classes based on cc? I brought my 125 w/ plans to run it in 'Industry' but they didn't do that class this year. So then I was going to run it in 125cc Support. Once I saw how many motos, I decided just to do 1 class in case we had to leave early (which we did). But even if they dropped the cc support classes, I could've just run my 125 in 35 Plus and the 350 in 30 Plus. So there will still be plenty of classes. I wish I had an older 125 then I would want to run Revolution (or whatever it is called). I dunno, I don't have the answer lol. But I would keep the Vintage MX classes on Sunday with the normal MX, but just drop the regular cc support.

Oldpro277, that is awesome about the XR

Post a reply to: DC Vet Homecoming Nationals at High Point

The Latest