DAMNNN Shorty, 17th?

cityjack
Yeah yeah yeah, triple crown his, Cooper that, Ralphy and Fro, its all entertaining. What about Andrew riding for two weeks non-stop on a Rally bike? 1st time he shows up gets a 17th out of 80 or 90 something riders and not a single penalty or withdrawal stage. Hell, there are 20 year vets that still can't even finish the race. Those are frickin crazy results. Consistent from stage to stage as well.

Nice job Shorty representin.
|
deluxeman
1/21/2018 6:16am
Great job!!! Looks like he rode the last day with a possible broken ankle. That guy is tough.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
1/21/2018 6:31am
Thats pretty good! Was following along, thought I saw him as high as 13th at one point.
philG
1/21/2018 6:32am
Only an hour and 17mins behind the winner of the womens race.... Laia Sanz.

To be fair , that says more about her than him , she was outstanding , even after losing an hour over 2 days with crashes , she made top 15.

Shorty played the long game, you cant win this thing without finishing it, and to finish it when so many didnt was a good ride.

Now he knows the event, the navigation, and all the other things that you have to master to be on top, he will be back, maybe next year running in the top 15 regularly, then top 10.

There arent many guys that have won a stage that havent had 3 or 4 goes minimum at it.

Its been a great event, hopefully he comes back and keeps at it.

LungButter
1/21/2018 6:39am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2018 6:41am
Hell yes Shorty!

PhilG is right about stage winners just goes to show how much of a legend KC was. Then you got Price that won the whole shebang on his second try, he's a bad ass!

The Shop

philG
1/21/2018 7:05am
Its a great shame KC never got a better shot at it, he was one of those 'special' guys that just had what it took.

Price is a beast, no mistake.

It was a close race till he leaders got lost on stage 10 or 11, Walkner capitalised and took victory.

Already cant wait for 2019.
Slaughter612s
Fantasy
171st
1/21/2018 7:32am
Definetly a story right there. I hope someone does an interview with him once he gets back to the states and relaxes. First time I have followed the Dakar. Cheer.
dcg141
1/21/2018 7:45am
Definetly a story right there. I hope someone does an interview with him once he gets back to the states and relaxes. First time I have...
Definetly a story right there. I hope someone does an interview with him once he gets back to the states and relaxes. First time I have followed the Dakar. Cheer.
Its a huge event, there is a reason Honda and KTM spend a lot of money to race Dakar.
FeetUp
1/21/2018 8:32am
philG wrote:
Only an hour and 17mins behind the winner of the womens race.... Laia Sanz. To be fair , that says more about her than him...

To be fair , that says more about her than him , she was outstanding , even after losing an hour over 2 days with crashes , she made top 15.

Shorty played the long game, you cant win this thing without finishing it, and to finish it when so many didnt was a good ride.

Now he knows the event, the navigation, and all the other things that you have to master to be on top, he will be back, maybe next year running in the top 15 regularly, then top 10.

There arent many guys that have won a stage that havent had 3 or 4 goes minimum at it.

What.... He got beat by a chick, bet that hasn't happened before. LOL
Waiting for him to visit the Pulp show, and fill us in on the details and his version of a couple of his BIG crashes.
1/21/2018 8:42am
That is not just any chick, she's a serious badass.

Great result for Shorty though, he must be totally stoked on it! Hope he stays with it.

TeamGreen
1/21/2018 8:43am
philG wrote:
Only an hour and 17mins behind the winner of the womens race.... Laia Sanz. To be fair , that says more about her than him...

For the record: I’ve seen Laia kick ass on a collection of America’s BEST off roaders...& she was on a JCR CRF450X that was prepped for Baja...while some of the off-road guys were on waaaaay better bikes for the kind of terrain and “special tests” we were riding...

As for Andrew? He had a crazy high-speed get off during stage 10...so, finishing that day with NO NAV & competing in the rest of the rally was a huge accomplishment.
Bultaco
1/21/2018 9:13am
Great for Andrew. I love when racers are not exclusively moto. Any moto guy that wants to go to Dakar, ISDE, Scrambles, Enduro, trials, etc is a winner in my book.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
1/21/2018 9:27am
philG wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:
For the record: I’ve seen Laia kick ass on a collection of America’s BEST off roaders...& she was on a JCR CRF450X that was prepped for...
For the record: I’ve seen Laia kick ass on a collection of America’s BEST off roaders...& she was on a JCR CRF450X that was prepped for Baja...while some of the off-road guys were on waaaaay better bikes for the kind of terrain and “special tests” we were riding...

As for Andrew? He had a crazy high-speed get off during stage 10...so, finishing that day with NO NAV & competing in the rest of the rally was a huge accomplishment.
In addition this is her 9th year doing the race, Still great but she has some experience.
Mit12
1/21/2018 9:58am
This was a great result for his first Dakar. When he gets the navigation down je will do way better.
mmcmx
1/21/2018 10:21am
I hear it was the toughest in years, even more than the last ones in africa said Carlos Sainz, so hats off to Andrew!
philG
1/21/2018 10:27am
Myke wrote:
In addition this is her 9th year doing the race, Still great but she has some experience.
Still a chick though...

I think her best finish is a 9th which is unreal.

It would have been easy for Shorty to get ahead of himself, and wad it into a ball on day one (like Joachim Rodrigues did) but he started steady and rode a smart race, now he will be able to take that away and see where he needs to improve, he had a great team mate in Quintanilla, who went from potential winner to off the pace after a few bad days

Brabec showed what experience gives you , he is a potential winner in the future too. .

1/22/2018 11:55am
Looking forward to some interviews with him. With the American coverage it was hard to follow his progress. If there are any stories out there please let us know! It'll be interesting to see if he does it again!
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
1/22/2018 12:03pm
I thought I heard the announcer say short got 4th or 5th on one stage....
philG
1/22/2018 3:01pm
luckyguy19 wrote:
And with a broken Tib/Fib.......

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeRGroIlyeS/
Thats the Dakar... its only a broken leg. This is what these guys do.

Adrien Van Beveren broke collarbone and sturnum and back injuries, and tried to ride in .. Barreda Bort destroyed his knee, rode for another 3 days.

So much respect for all these guys, interesting that Shorty was disappointed with his speed, he expected to be better i think.
LungButter
1/22/2018 4:07pm
Shorty should be damn proud, he had a good ride in one of the toughest Dakars in recent memory.

Can't wait to see what he can do with some more experience under his belt.

I hope going forward Husky gets him a real rally bike to train on at home.

Post a reply to: DAMNNN Shorty, 17th?

The Latest