Cycle News. GasGas to enter motocross in all classes. Stefan Pierer.

stillwelding
Edited Date/Time 10/17/2019 10:58am
|
Press516
Fantasy
126th
10/15/2019 8:03pm
Kind of sucks to see him say that it will go to KTM platforms and engines... It will lose the GasGas personality completely. Suspension and handling on the current GasGas is fantastic.

I get it, when you has the $$, you makes the calls....
XC706
Fantasy
799th
10/15/2019 8:36pm
I agree with Press516, makes the most business sense and the bikes will lose 20 lbs. but I was really hoping for a proper 200 based on a 125 chassis and something unique like a 400 2T.
Adam43
10/15/2019 10:26pm
Fascinating. I don’t doubt Pierer’s resolve.

Casting essentially the same motorcycles as new brands was a masterstroke.

It becomes inefficient if you let quality slip as we saw with the Detroit automakers, but I suspect GasGas will just add to their strength and overall share.

10/15/2019 11:56pm
I bet within 3 years you will see a GasGas factory team. Both in MXGP and AMA supercross/motocross.

The Shop

chuckdavies
10/16/2019 1:26am
Thanks for the link - interesting read. Shame that GasGas will be yet another branded KTM, but as he says it works in the car world with VAG so why not in Motorcycles too? Looking forward to seeing the full range of GasGas MX bikes in MXGP - more factory rides can't be a bad thing!
Bjorn645
Fantasy
1076th
10/16/2019 1:39am
Very interesting - they made great bikes for enduro/offroad and I dont get why KTM is just flooding the market with their own bikes in different guises. If people dont like the feel of a KTM they will now write off GasGas and Husky too.

Why not keep GasGas as a brand unique - introduce it to the GNCC or Worcs arenas where they have got tons of existing R&D data which is a directly transferable...
Bearuno
10/16/2019 2:38am
Making Red KT-GGs' will be a good business model, just as is making KTHuskies.

Hard to argue against that.

But, it saddens me to see a unique bike brand essentially, dissapear.

Though, I'd guess they won't mess with the Trials engines / bikes, much, at all.

If only because I see - and Peirer alluded to - the fact that Trials will probably be the most rapid 'change over' to all Electric. It's the perfect branch of the sport for it. Though, SX and RBSR - which may well become the successor to 'SX' SickWhistling - are the next most suited to E Bike usage.........

I've truly enjoyed seeing Kovar out there, in the EMX250 class (at times) and EMX300 and now EMX2T classes the last couple of seasons on the Gas Gas. That big bearded bloke is bloody quick, on an Enduro bike. He was on a 4t at the MXDN - I wonder if it was because 250 / 300 2ts were still not regarded as an 'Open' bike. A 300 would have been pretty good in those conditions. Though, the 450KTM (I think) he was on, was probably lighter than the GG. Woohoo
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4358th
10/16/2019 3:24am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2019 3:26am
First i have to add to the consensus here that i am deeply saddened that Gas Gas is losing its charm and despite the info that KTM won't affect them (issued like two weeks ago) they are making them it into Husqvarna.... or maybe Husaberg.

If the rumours that KTM wants to make one of their supported teams into Factory Gas Gas in 2020 true, who would they make Gas Gas factory team? Below you can see the keyboardvomit that came into my mind without any hints or sources - a.k.a. just a rant.

The first team that comes in mind would be Standing Construct but Hoff there has contract directly with KTM. That would be a little poopy if you ask me. And Standing Construct has team only for MXGP

The second option that came into my head is czech JD Gunnex racing team... Now, listen a minute... I try to not toot my own horn very, very hard here *starts sweating*.... but they are already familiar with Spain, spent good chunk of time in spring in bootcamp of Jose Butron and are stil linked to sign him for 2020. But wait, there is more. They have also riders in MX2 and since Petr Polák did get the boot lately, there is atleast one free place where they could place idk... Ruben Fernandéz (idk if he hasn't aged out of MX2)... and boom. Bob is your spanish uncle.

The third option would be Marchetti racing. They have riders in MXGP and MX2 but they already announced the team and look set sail under the orange banner.

One way or another the world looks a bit dimmer because with another colour variation of KTM there is a dusk of aluminium (frames) ahead.
kb228
10/16/2019 3:58am
So now we have orange, white, and red KTMs that will be competing.

Guess its easy to win when the same bike takes up 50% of the field.
agn5009
10/16/2019 4:22am
kb228 wrote:
So now we have orange, white, and red KTMs that will be competing. Guess its easy to win when the same bike takes up 50% of...

Or it’s easier to win because you sell tons of bikes, have a great business plan, great team, great riders, etc. who your business is built around will depend how successful it is.
kb228
10/16/2019 4:55am
kb228 wrote:
So now we have orange, white, and red KTMs that will be competing. Guess its easy to win when the same bike takes up 50% of...

agn5009 wrote:
Or it’s easier to win because you sell tons of bikes, have a great business plan, great team, great riders, etc. who your business is built...
Or it’s easier to win because you sell tons of bikes, have a great business plan, great team, great riders, etc. who your business is built around will depend how successful it is.
Well yea all of that goes without saying.

But 1 company taking up 50% of the field turns racing into a numbers game rather than a race between mfgs.
MudPup545
10/16/2019 5:00am
kb228 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
Or it’s easier to win because you sell tons of bikes, have a great business plan, great team, great riders, etc. who your business is built...
kb228 wrote:
Well yea all of that goes without saying. But 1 company taking up 50% of the field turns racing into a numbers game rather than a...

But 1 company taking up 50% of the field turns racing into a numbers game rather than a race between mfgs.
The riders have a choice as to what brand they ride. If it happens to be a bike built in Austria, so be it.
Racerman967
10/16/2019 5:05am
I would expect RMATV to be the team that switches over. Colors match up, they can add 2 250 riders and be done
kb228
10/16/2019 5:05am
agn5009 wrote:
kb228 wrote:
Well yea all of that goes without saying. But 1 company taking up 50% of the field turns racing into a numbers game rather than a...

MudPup545 wrote:
The riders have a choice as to what brand they ride. If it happens to be a bike built in Austria, so be it.
So justin bogle is going to choose to make $50,000 less per year on a private team just because he wants to be on a honda rather than joining RMATVMC KTM? They dont have a choice. They go where the money is.
agn5009
10/16/2019 6:00am
kb228 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
kb228 wrote:

No it doesn’t. It gives more riders a good team to ride for. it amazes me how many people complain about a company who has done nothing but great things for this sport.

Vital: “we need more factory teams. These guys deserve to get paid!!”

Ktm: “we hear you loud and clear vital. We’re gonna get these guys on a bunch of different teams and bikes to give them the best chance possible to succeed. While doing so we also want our company to be highly successful.

Vital: fuck ktm. They offer too many bikes in different brands/colors. They need to stop paying these athletes money to ride their bikes because the majority will be on those brands rather than my beloved Suzuki’s!
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4358th
10/16/2019 6:02am
agn5009 wrote:
No it doesn’t. It gives more riders a good team to ride for. it amazes me how many people complain about a company who has done...
No it doesn’t. It gives more riders a good team to ride for. it amazes me how many people complain about a company who has done nothing but great things for this sport.

Ktm: “we hear you loud and clear vital. We’re gonna get these guys on a bunch of different teams and bikes to give them the best chance possible to succeed. While doing so we also want our company to be highly successful.

Vital: fuck ktm. They offer too many bikes in different brands/colors. They need to stop paying these athletes money to ride their bikes because the majority will be on those brands rather than my beloved Suzuki’s!
Don't talk poop about my beloved Zooki! Tongue
agn5009
10/16/2019 6:12am
agn5009 wrote:
No it doesn’t. It gives more riders a good team to ride for. it amazes me how many people complain about a company who has done...

My favorite bike I’ve ever had was a 2006 RM 250!
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
10/16/2019 6:15am
agn5009 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
My favorite bike I’ve ever had was a 2006 RM 250!
My least favorite bike I ever owned was a 2006 RM250! 🤷‍♂️
10/16/2019 6:31am
Will I be able to retrofit my KTM with red plastics? That would be badass. I like this idea.
kb228
10/16/2019 6:31am
agn5009 wrote:
kb228 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:

Yea youre correct. But that still doesnt change the numbers game. Its all a business strategy. Take up 1/2 the field and always win = more sales until you buy a 4th brand and put 4 identical bikes on the gate.

Eventually the racing goes from a battle of riders and manufacturers to only riders all riding the same bike. Then all the best riders are signed on by the same company which leaves others like suzuki unable to be competitive and ultimately drop out of racing like theyre already doing.

What happens when you got 10 factory KTM guys all on different “brands” and them forming a giant roadblock to skew the outcomes of races.

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/16/2019 6:50am
kb228 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
kb228 wrote:

Nothing is stopping any of the other manufacturers to do the same thing. The other brands have deep pockets.

Just have to open up the wallet and support more riders/teams.
Motofinne
10/16/2019 6:53am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2019 6:55am
It would be fun to see the whole KTM group drop out of racing for 2 seasons. GuyB would have to remove 10 "There aren't enough rides out there" and "Poor riders" threads per day.

What KTM group has done for racing worldwide is nothing but admirable. It's not their fault that they spend more money on racing compared to all the other brands.
10/16/2019 7:10am
They throw that KYB SOS suspension on them and I’ll be on line to buy a red KTM.
Ted722
10/16/2019 7:28am
Any chance Monster could grace the shrouds? Monster GasGas sure has a ring to it. Wink
49weasel
10/16/2019 7:33am
Press516 wrote:
Kind of sucks to see him say that it will go to KTM platforms and engines... It will lose the GasGas personality completely. Suspension and handling...
Kind of sucks to see him say that it will go to KTM platforms and engines... It will lose the GasGas personality completely. Suspension and handling on the current GasGas is fantastic.

I get it, when you has the $$, you makes the calls....
Yea because Gas Gas are flying off the showroom floors.
agn5009
10/16/2019 7:47am
kb228 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:

kb228 wrote:
Yea youre correct. But that still doesnt change the numbers game. Its all a business strategy. Take up 1/2 the field and always win = more...
Yea youre correct. But that still doesnt change the numbers game. Its all a business strategy. Take up 1/2 the field and always win = more sales until you buy a 4th brand and put 4 identical bikes on the gate.

Eventually the racing goes from a battle of riders and manufacturers to only riders all riding the same bike. Then all the best riders are signed on by the same company which leaves others like suzuki unable to be competitive and ultimately drop out of racing like theyre already doing.

What happens when you got 10 factory KTM guys all on different “brands” and them forming a giant roadblock to skew the outcomes of races.

That has got to be one of the craziest things I’ve ever read.

I’m gonna go ride my white KTM now.
Markopolo400
10/16/2019 8:03am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2019 8:06am
Jbulz wrote:
My least favorite bike I ever owned was a 2006 RM250! 🤷‍♂️
Oh stop you loved that bike till you started blowing transmissions

Post a reply to: Cycle News. GasGas to enter motocross in all classes. Stefan Pierer.

The Latest