Cutting new edges on your tires

Edited Date/Time 7/28/2014 7:43pm
I know I will get some flames and eye roll emoticons here. If I get too many I will edit it into another JS7 post.

One of my first memories is my older brothers cutting fresh edges on their RM80s' worn out tires, coaxing another few months out of them.

If I recall correctly, they weren't just using a utility knife, there was a device specifically for this purpose. But I could be wrong there.

As I am about to spend the better part of a thousand of my hard earned dollars on 6 new tires of various sizes for the kids and me, I'm wondering if there is a safe / feasible way to Edward Sciccorhand them..

|
7/28/2014 11:49am
I bought a cheap 45 watt soldering iron at Wal mart that had an exacto knife attachment that I used to cut new edges on some of my tires. $8, and did the same job as the much more expensive "special cutter".
7/28/2014 12:11pm
The knobby knife works pretty good on rear tires. I wouldn't recommend cutting the front tires, it seems to make the knobs flex more and they never handle as good after.
Bigshow
7/28/2014 6:37pm
I always used a small hack saw. Took a little longer, but already had one.

The Shop

7/28/2014 6:48pm
I don't ride my bike enough to make it worth it. Usually the rubber dries before the knobbies are worn down. Or if they do, I'll just sell my tires to some sand pit guys and buy new ones.
7/28/2014 7:43pm
bigborefan wrote:
1000 Bucks for tires? Canadian dollars?
Retail price for quality rubber up here is over $150 a piece.

Post a reply to: Cutting new edges on your tires

The Latest