Customized paint jobs

10/14/2012 9:31am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2012 2:35pm
Back when I was riding full time in the 90's, every rider would have their helmet painted. Some of them were pretty cool. Why don't the pro riders these days have their's done now? Troy Lee used to be the famous painter for the pros. So what's changed?
|
MX Culture
10/14/2012 9:48am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2012 9:49am
custom oem helmet paint jobs that the helmet companies are trying to promote.
I love a cool custom painted helmet as much as you, but when you were racing, you had the choice of a solid white or black helmet with little graphic choices.
I worked for HJC for 14 years and helped them with their first ever Pro sponsorship with Mad Mike and then it grew from there.
These guys want to sell the graphics that they make and that's why these guys aren't getting helmets painted anymore.
Go look at a new TLD helmet, they are absolutely incredible out of the box, there's no reason to go get one painted now.
-PS, i'm looking for a new gig.
DD
langhammx
Fantasy
311th
10/14/2012 9:50am
MX Culture wrote:
custom oem helmet paint jobs that the helmet companies are trying to promote. I love a cool custom painted helmet as much as you, but when...
custom oem helmet paint jobs that the helmet companies are trying to promote.
I love a cool custom painted helmet as much as you, but when you were racing, you had the choice of a solid white or black helmet with little graphic choices.
I worked for HJC for 14 years and helped them with their first ever Pro sponsorship with Mad Mike and then it grew from there.
These guys want to sell the graphics that they make and that's why these guys aren't getting helmets painted anymore.
Go look at a new TLD helmet, they are absolutely incredible out of the box, there's no reason to go get one painted now.
-PS, i'm looking for a new gig.
DD
Pretty much hit the nail on the head !
TerryK
10/14/2012 10:04am
I don't know, it seems to me that there is still an abundance of custom painted lids on the pros.
se7enmx
10/14/2012 10:10am

The new helmets that are on the market now are cool. TroyLee and many others have some great designs right out of the box. But sometimes you just have to get your own helmet painted to get what you really want. Old school meets new school.

The Shop

JLong
10/14/2012 3:15pm
The irony to me...motocross is a supposed sport of individuality and style. Most the top pros still have relatively stock helmets because the helmet manufacturers are producing fantastic stock paint schemes and pay well for the pros to wear them. But still, you buy one off the shelf and look like every other guy on the line. Not a great show of individualism if you ask me.

A big problem is cost and time of hand applied graphics, and the virtual guarantee of destruction if you're a ground magnet.

None of the automobile racing helmet manufacturers even sell a graphic helmet. Black, White, and Flat Black is it. If you really want to see some great custom painted helmets, you have to look to the auto racing world.
Crush
10/14/2012 3:36pm
se7enmx wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/10/14/265442_252655234747899_100000102729611_1120527_5155256_o_644040.jpg[/img] The new helmets that are on the market now are cool. TroyLee and many others have some great designs right out of the box. But...

The new helmets that are on the market now are cool. TroyLee and many others have some great designs right out of the box. But sometimes you just have to get your own helmet painted to get what you really want. Old school meets new school.
That is slick dude!!!
Shiftyill
10/28/2012 2:12pm
Just can not beat a custom paint job though. Who wants to look like the rest of the field? You cant get this off the shelf..
mx757
10/28/2012 2:35pm
JLong wrote:
The irony to me...motocross is a supposed sport of individuality and style. Most the top pros still have relatively stock helmets because the helmet manufacturers are...
The irony to me...motocross is a supposed sport of individuality and style. Most the top pros still have relatively stock helmets because the helmet manufacturers are producing fantastic stock paint schemes and pay well for the pros to wear them. But still, you buy one off the shelf and look like every other guy on the line. Not a great show of individualism if you ask me.

A big problem is cost and time of hand applied graphics, and the virtual guarantee of destruction if you're a ground magnet.

None of the automobile racing helmet manufacturers even sell a graphic helmet. Black, White, and Flat Black is it. If you really want to see some great custom painted helmets, you have to look to the auto racing world.
Thats not quite true.

Thats one of the few though. I think bell offeres 2 helmets that have graphics, and i think the only other manufacturer that does is g force, but still. All I did with mine is buy a flat black Bell K1 and then bought a helmet decal kit from Harrisdecals.com

Post a reply to: Customized paint jobs

The Latest