Custom helmet painting..?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/14/2018 5:07 PM

Looking to get a Bell moto 9 flex painted for my son for Christmas! I know time is a big part, as well possibly cost. Any of you guys have any recommendations?

|

11/14/2018 5:23 PM

Most painters take a couple months, they tell you 3 weeks, but it takes longer.
I used Wayne Wreck for my street lid, local painter in CA.
wayne wreck

|

11/14/2018 5:26 PM

X2 on the time frame. You may want to consider getting it painted for Easter instead!

I've had a few done by this guy with excellent results: https://www.apdesignsusa.com/

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

11/14/2018 5:50 PM

The fastest I've been able to do one was a month, it was easier because I was copying a Troy Lee design. My average is at least two months, I work full time and it's mostly just a hobby though.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

11/14/2018 5:59 PM

Ryan at Mxlockers has a guy that does custom helmets, I haven't used him but prices seem reasonable.

https://www.mxlockers.com/custom-helmets/

|

11/14/2018 6:15 PM

Having been a helmet painter for many years in the 80s and early 90s i would offer these suggestions,
1. Have a good idea of what you want. Colors and artwork included. It’s best if you have a known example and want that copied or want elements of several combined. Best set up would be providing the painter with exactly what you want done to include you supplying the examples.
2. Obviously many want to give creative license to the painter. This is fine but can create more time spent on the project vs working from you knowing exactly what you want done. The more examples of what you want you can provide will potentially speed up the project.
3. I suggest working with a painter who has a reputation or experience painting for Moto persons. I don’t know Wayne but his level of ability is tremendous. But he tends to paint more in the auto, show cars, street bikes and such. Their style doesn’t always transfer well to what you see being done in the Moto world. I suggest avoiding stripers or guys with a history of doing show bikes and such. I could easily tell when I saw a helmet done by a guy with that background.
This is not to suggest that is a rule but more of a consideration.
4. Know what you want done and ask up front can they get it done in time. Ask how busy they are currently. Is this a full on business for them or a side job.
5. Helmets may appear to be easy to paint but like many things is much further from reality. Do they remove trim or just tape over, can they paint you an extra visor, are you providing an all white helmet which is best or one with basic graphics.
The more work you do now in providing direction or examples of what you want the easier it is for the one doing the work. I could easily tell you exactly how long one design takes vs another. Any guy doing it professionally can do that also.

Good luck to you and I hope it works out given the time frame. I would love to see what you ultimately had done.

|

11/14/2018 6:25 PM

Beam designs
Off axis paint
Nick pastura Motorsports does some amazing work as well

|

11/14/2018 7:30 PM

Falcon wrote:

X2 on the time frame. You may want to consider getting it painted for Easter instead!

I've had a few done by this guy with ...more

“Easter instead” ~ laughing laughing laughing
Good one !! wink

|

11/14/2018 7:37 PM

KC designs has done 2 for me. Never had to wait long.

678-488-8364
kcdesigns266@yahoo.com

kcdesignspaint instagram
www.facebook.com/kcdesigns266

|

11/14/2018 7:52 PM

Tagger Design. Bell has been using his designs already. Look them up

|

11/14/2018 8:24 PM

AP Designs ftw. Does great work and has a lot of rad designs for Bell. He paints Tomac, PC, Star Yamaha, and a lot more who all wear bell. But for XMAS might be cutting it close.

|

11/14/2018 8:27 PM

Id go with ap designs or tagger. Im guessing a lot of these companies can get done by Christmas but you’ll have to pay a premium. Time is money

|

11/15/2018 12:10 AM

My 2 cents would be to give him an all white helmet and then a certificate you make that says he gets a custom paint job on it. This would allow him to be able to talk to the painter and come up with the look and designs he wants for his helmet.

Great gift!

|

11/15/2018 4:26 AM

Thanks guys! I'm definitely going to check some places out.. I've checked out Blowsion.. anyone tried them before? Seems like they have some really sick looking lids.

|

11/15/2018 5:07 AM

Since you are in Texas, I recommend BSM Paintworks. You can look them up on instagram.

They do incredible work.

|

11/15/2018 5:25 AM

wnorton729 wrote:

Looking to get a Bell moto 9 flex painted for my son for Christmas! I know time is a big part, as well possibly cost. Any of ...more

Look up flyin kolors on Instagram , they are in Michigan but Bobby does awesome work and turn around is usually fast . I’ve also had him ship my helmets all around the country and the shipping is fast

|

11/15/2018 5:45 AM

what about a wrap?

|

11/15/2018 6:19 AM

I have a buddy down in South Florida that might be able to help. debostyles on instagram. Tell him I sent you and he will hook you up.

|

11/15/2018 6:58 AM

Try Xtreme Kolors, great pricing on custom painted Bell Moto9s at the moment. Look them up on IG

|

11/15/2018 7:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2018 7:02 AM

Bell Moto9 and custom paint $500

|

11/15/2018 7:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2018 7:39 AM

HCP Designs. great work. Does alot of Moto and Snocross pro helmets. I had a Bell Moto 8 done by him.

https://www.facebook.com/HCP-Designs-7434546254/

take a look at all his work on facebook and be blown away! its so cool.

|

11/15/2018 8:42 AM

I won this helmet from Blowsion. Way back in 98' I won the raffle and got the helmet. I can't wear it any more though , since the face mask part is cracked on both sides , from face planting into a tree at 3rd gear. Took a nap on that one.

Photo

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

11/15/2018 7:53 PM

Payup_199 wrote:

HCP Designs. great work. Does alot of Moto and Snocross pro helmets. I had a Bell Moto 8 done by him.

...more

His stuff is bad ass by far the best i have seen.

|

11/15/2018 8:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2018 8:23 PM

TooOld4WFO wrote:

Having been a helmet painter for many years in the 80s and early 90s i would offer these suggestions,
1. Have a good idea of ...more

Some great advice here, especially #3. and 5. and....

Dig around on Instagram - there are surprisingly a lot of good helmet painters in business; many of them mentioned here as well. Helmet painting is incredibly tedious and finite - I've painted for 20 years and now only do it for myself for fun.

Set a budget with the painter right away - this will dictate if what you want is realistic. Its so time-consuming.

If you go with someone like AP, I feel like you'll get something more generic as his stuff (to me) all looks the same (albeit clean) - and I assume they crank out a ton of Monster helmets all day long, so you may not get the same level of attention there as you would with someone smaller. I could be totally wrong...I don't know AP (but I've been to his facility). Everyone has their own style, but he hardly deviates from that style (again, just my opinion - anything visual is subjective).

Just make sure to go through a *lot* of their work and make sure you like their style. Everyone has their own.

|

11/15/2018 11:46 PM

|

Ed Johnson

11/16/2018 1:00 AM

We do custom helmet painting and we can do wraps too! Need to get it to someone quickly to get it back before Christmas! Good luck!!

|

2020 YZ450F
2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer YCF Motorcycles
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/

11/17/2018 9:52 AM

The OG, still at it....
Troy Lee Designs
www.troyleedesigns.com/paint

|