Custom clutch cover engraving

Related:
Create New Tag

11/30/2017 2:16 PM

Hey guys long time reader of the site that needs some advice. I am currently in the process of starting a small maching business that specializes in custom engraving. I have 11+ years of experience In the machine and molding industry and have done a few covers already. The main idea would be to have covers sent to me I would sandblast powder coat to color of choice (I prefer textures black) and engrave names, numbers or logos. I would also do machining in new after market covers. Anything which licesing allows. I can post pictures of examples I have done. I’m really looking for a reasonable price range for options like this. I believe in doing more at a lower price vs. a few and making more. What would people be willing to pay for something like this?Photo

|

11/30/2017 2:25 PM

Youre looking at it wrong. You need to look at how much it costs per hour for you to design the cover, program the engraver, and machine time.

If it takes 4 hours to do 1 cover @ $25/hr then $100 would be the cost.

What you have shown looks like simple text. Probably took you 20 mins prior to machining. Maybe less. For a simple job like that maybe $70.

If you were to machine a full size ktm logo it would obviously take a lot more machine time to clear the interior of the logo.

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

11/30/2017 2:41 PM

That has been a thought as of now it would take me a little longer for new ones I haven’t done more due to set up. Once I have jigs for most made it would take less time and I’m not about a customer paying for r and d. I would probably have to vary depending on the project size. I have done names that were fully machined ( not just outlines) depending on cutter size it doesn’t take much longer. Really just looking for a base line. Thanks for your input much appreciated!

|

11/30/2017 3:06 PM

Acidreamer wrote:

Youre looking at it wrong. You need to look at how much it costs per hour for you to design the cover, program the engraver, and machine time.

What you have shown looks like simple text. Probably took you 20 mins prior to machining. Maybe less. For a simple job like that maybe $70.

If you were to machine a full size ktm logo it would obviously take a lot more machine time to clear the interior of the logo.

It wouldn't take 4 hours to machine a cover from a block of stock never mind doing just engraving.

|

11/30/2017 3:13 PM

$70 to $100 sounds about right.

|

11/30/2017 3:18 PM

Acidreamer wrote:

seth505 wrote:

It wouldn't take 4 hours to machine a cover from a block of stock never mind doing just engraving.

I’m not sure he meant just machine time on 4 hours but drawing, programming, set up and run time with clean up sandblast and power then yes 4 hours easy

|

11/30/2017 3:36 PM

Why would you powder these? The easiest solution would be to ano or hard ano them, then laser engrave. Yeah you're not going to get the depth in the etch but will look the same.
I don't even think you could engrave to the base material thru the powder, keep in mind how much edge that would expose for flaking off.

|

-'09 KX500AF

- '19 KX450F

11/30/2017 4:00 PM

Getting the powder coat would just be an option. In the past I’ve gone .010 to .015 deep more then enough to cut past the powder and not too much for thickness of the cover. Basically last for ever and if you use a small ball mill you don’t have the flaky edge

|

11/30/2017 4:27 PM

Acidreamer wrote:

seth505 wrote:

p3fab wrote:

I’m not sure he meant just machine time on 4 hours but drawing, programming, set up and run time with clean up sandblast and power then yes 4 hours easy

Yea I meant the entire process. Part of my job is cnc programming custom parts so I was guessing off that.

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

11/30/2017 5:15 PM

I had my Hinson cover done with my # above the Hinson logo and I've had several people ask where they could get it done. A friend of a friend did mine, so I couldn't help them. What do you think it would cost to do one like this-
Photo

The JGR logo on my 450 cover has more detail, but I guess that's all in the set up....
Photo

|

11/30/2017 5:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/30/2017 5:21 PM

p3fab wrote:

My mistake, I missed the powder coat part. I was thinking just etching existing covers and that's it.

OP- If you are doing powder and all that then I think it will be hard to hit a price point that is worth it but cool idea either way.

|

11/30/2017 5:33 PM

You will find over time it isnt worth the money to do. Ive done this for many friends, i would never try to do it as a side job or to make money from it. I still do anodizing, powdercoat and cerakote, but i do that for all sorts of people in my spare time. Definately worth the money to do on the side. Make a few thousand dollars in a day with anodizing.

|

11/30/2017 5:37 PM

langhammx wrote:

I had my Hinson cover done with my # above the Hinson logo and I've had several people ask where they could get it done. A friend of a friend did mine, so I couldn't help them. What do you think it would cost to do one like this-
Photo

The JGR logo on my 450 cover has more detail, but I guess that's all in the set up....
Photo

First of all awesome looking bike and detail! The 48 is pretty simple as far as design and size it would be on the cheaper end maybe 50 to 65 range. The hinsons are easier to do because that are basically flat on top. I will know more about more detailed ones soon I’m currently looking at what logos I can do from a legal stand point.

|

11/30/2017 5:53 PM

What you should do on the new engravings is leave the cover black, and fill the lettering with the powder coat. That hinson cover would look a lot better with consistent coloring.

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

11/30/2017 6:03 PM

Acidreamer wrote:

What you should do on the new engravings is leave the cover black, and fill the lettering with the powder coat. That hinson cover would look a lot better with consistent coloring.

I’ll get more pictures the one I put up is super dirty after a ride ( my brother sucks are washing his bike) and bad lighting. it’s all the same color black and bare aluminum.

|

11/30/2017 6:19 PM

Im not sure what kind of equipment you plan on using but here is some tips i have for you . Make one jig with multiple mounting holes for different covers , obviously you may have some one off covers that will take some extra work . Keep your jig in your cad program so that you can select the origin depending on which cover you are currently machining . If possible ,depending on the mill you are using ,keep a designated work offset and have the ability to mount your jig in the same place quickly (HAAS tables have dowel holes for quick setup) . Less time setting up will be key to you having a large enough window to make a profit.

|

11/30/2017 6:35 PM

p3fab wrote:

First of all awesome looking bike and detail! The 48 is pretty simple as far as design and size it would be on the cheaper end maybe 50 to 65 range. The hinsons are easier to do because that are basically flat on top. I will know more about more detailed ones soon I’m currently looking at what logos I can do from a legal stand point.

I would be willing to pay that.

|

11/30/2017 6:35 PM

MR. X wrote:

Im not sure what kind of equipment you plan on using but here is some tips i have for you . Make one jig with multiple mounting holes for different covers , obviously you may have some one off covers that will take some extra work . Keep your jig in your cad program so that you can select the origin depending on which cover you are currently machining . If possible ,depending on the mill you are using ,keep a designated work offset and have the ability to mount your jig in the same place quickly (HAAS tables have dowel holes for quick setup) . Less time setting up will be key to you having a large enough window to make a profit.

Thanks for the advise we typically use sub plates with pin holes and mounting holes on a set offset. For this smaller machine I plan on running a jig plate that will almost never need to come out.

|

3/29/2018 7:18 PM

Bump just to see if p3fab or anyone else is, or knows someone who is, doing the custom engravings today..

|

3/29/2018 9:00 PM

I am still working out some kinks right now. I did purchase a machine and I am probably 2 weeks from being operational. Do you have something you are specifically looking to get done?

|

3/29/2018 9:04 PM

p3fab wrote:

I am still working out some kinks right now. I did purchase a machine and I am probably 2 weeks from being operational. Do you have something you are specifically looking to get done?

I was looking to get the clutch cover on my RM125 done. Nothing too crazy just my name and number. I'm actually still a few weeks away from even doing my motor but I have been researching to see who out there could do this..

|

3/29/2018 9:10 PM

p3fab wrote:

ClutchLuck24/7 wrote:

I was looking to get the clutch cover on my RM125 done. Nothing too crazy just my name and number. I'm actually still a few weeks away from even doing my motor but I have been researching to see who out there could do this..

Sent you a pm. Look forward to working together

|

3/30/2018 4:17 AM

langhammx wrote:

Photo

Photo

LanghamMX.. where did you get that Showa rear shock decal with the white outline? I have been searching for that.

|

3/30/2018 3:50 PM

As soon as the new bike appears in the garage, I'd give you some simple business as well. Just our numbers on the clutch cover.

|

3/30/2018 8:14 PM

Good to hear! Motivation to get things going faster! It’s coming for sure thanks guys!

|

3/30/2018 8:52 PM

I wouldn’t mind having mine customized. Will you do stock covers? 2015 KX250F

|

"17"

3/30/2018 8:58 PM

Tokyo_Tiddler wrote:

LanghamMX.. where did you get that Showa rear shock decal with the white outline? I have been searching for that.

I got a few sets of fork/shock decals from the Showa tech. Wish there was somewhere to send you, but they don't hand them out, I was in the right place at the right time.

|

3/31/2018 6:06 AM

mxbigd17 wrote:

I wouldn’t mind having mine customized. Will you do stock covers? 2015 KX250F

Yep! Stock covers for sure

|

3/31/2018 6:14 AM

langhammx wrote:

Photo

Photo

Tokyo_Tiddler wrote:

langhammx wrote:

I got a few sets of fork/shock decals from the Showa tech. Wish there was somewhere to send you, but they don't hand them out, I was in the right place at the right time.

Yup.. only the factory teams get the decals with the white outline while the rest of the world gets the black outlined red letters.

|

3/31/2018 6:34 AM

Put me on the list.

|