Custom clutch cover engraving

p3fab
11/30/2017 2:16pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2019 3:43pm
Hey guys long time reader of the site that needs some advice. I am currently in the process of starting a small maching business that specializes in custom engraving. I have 11+ years of experience In the machine and molding industry and have done a few covers already. The main idea would be to have covers sent to me I would sandblast powder coat to color of choice (I prefer textures black) and engrave names, numbers or logos. I would also do machining in new after market covers. Anything which licesing allows. I can post pictures of examples I have done. I’m really looking for a reasonable price range for options like this. I believe in doing more at a lower price vs. a few and making more. What would people be willing to pay for something like this?

|
Acidreamer
11/30/2017 2:25pm
Youre looking at it wrong. You need to look at how much it costs per hour for you to design the cover, program the engraver, and machine time.

If it takes 4 hours to do 1 cover @ $25/hr then $100 would be the cost.

What you have shown looks like simple text. Probably took you 20 mins prior to machining. Maybe less. For a simple job like that maybe $70.

If you were to machine a full size ktm logo it would obviously take a lot more machine time to clear the interior of the logo.

p3fab
11/30/2017 2:41pm
That has been a thought as of now it would take me a little longer for new ones I haven’t done more due to set up. Once I have jigs for most made it would take less time and I’m not about a customer paying for r and d. I would probably have to vary depending on the project size. I have done names that were fully machined ( not just outlines) depending on cutter size it doesn’t take much longer. Really just looking for a base line. Thanks for your input much appreciated!
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
11/30/2017 3:06pm
Acidreamer wrote:
Youre looking at it wrong. You need to look at how much it costs per hour for you to design the cover, program the engraver, and...
Youre looking at it wrong. You need to look at how much it costs per hour for you to design the cover, program the engraver, and machine time.

What you have shown looks like simple text. Probably took you 20 mins prior to machining. Maybe less. For a simple job like that maybe $70.

If you were to machine a full size ktm logo it would obviously take a lot more machine time to clear the interior of the logo.

It wouldn't take 4 hours to machine a cover from a block of stock never mind doing just engraving.
Motoxdoc
11/30/2017 3:13pm
$70 to $100 sounds about right.

The Shop

p3fab
11/30/2017 3:18pm
Acidreamer wrote:
Youre looking at it wrong. You need to look at how much it costs per hour for you to design the cover, program the engraver, and...

seth505 wrote:
It wouldn't take 4 hours to machine a cover from a block of stock never mind doing just engraving.
I’m not sure he meant just machine time on 4 hours but drawing, programming, set up and run time with clean up sandblast and power then yes 4 hours easy
JBernard_401
11/30/2017 3:36pm
Why would you powder these? The easiest solution would be to ano or hard ano them, then laser engrave. Yeah you're not going to get the depth in the etch but will look the same.
I don't even think you could engrave to the base material thru the powder, keep in mind how much edge that would expose for flaking off.
p3fab
11/30/2017 4:00pm
Getting the powder coat would just be an option. In the past I’ve gone .010 to .015 deep more then enough to cut past the powder and not too much for thickness of the cover. Basically last for ever and if you use a small ball mill you don’t have the flaky edge
Acidreamer
11/30/2017 4:27pm
Acidreamer wrote:

seth505 wrote:
p3fab wrote:
I’m not sure he meant just machine time on 4 hours but drawing, programming, set up and run time with clean up sandblast and power then...
I’m not sure he meant just machine time on 4 hours but drawing, programming, set up and run time with clean up sandblast and power then yes 4 hours easy
Yea I meant the entire process. Part of my job is cnc programming custom parts so I was guessing off that.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
11/30/2017 5:15pm
I had my Hinson cover done with my # above the Hinson logo and I've had several people ask where they could get it done. A friend of a friend did mine, so I couldn't help them. What do you think it would cost to do one like this-

The JGR logo on my 450 cover has more detail, but I guess that's all in the set up....

seth505
Fantasy
1048th
11/30/2017 5:20pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2017 5:21pm
p3fab wrote:
I’m not sure he meant just machine time on 4 hours but drawing, programming, set up and run time with clean up sandblast and power then...
My mistake, I missed the powder coat part. I was thinking just etching existing covers and that's it.

OP- If you are doing powder and all that then I think it will be hard to hit a price point that is worth it but cool idea either way.
Dtat720
11/30/2017 5:33pm
You will find over time it isnt worth the money to do. Ive done this for many friends, i would never try to do it as a side job or to make money from it. I still do anodizing, powdercoat and cerakote, but i do that for all sorts of people in my spare time. Definately worth the money to do on the side. Make a few thousand dollars in a day with anodizing.
p3fab
11/30/2017 5:37pm
langhammx wrote:
I had my Hinson cover done with my # above the Hinson logo and I've had several people ask where they could get it done. A...
I had my Hinson cover done with my # above the Hinson logo and I've had several people ask where they could get it done. A friend of a friend did mine, so I couldn't help them. What do you think it would cost to do one like this-

The JGR logo on my 450 cover has more detail, but I guess that's all in the set up....

First of all awesome looking bike and detail! The 48 is pretty simple as far as design and size it would be on the cheaper end maybe 50 to 65 range. The hinsons are easier to do because that are basically flat on top. I will know more about more detailed ones soon I’m currently looking at what logos I can do from a legal stand point.
Acidreamer
11/30/2017 5:53pm
What you should do on the new engravings is leave the cover black, and fill the lettering with the powder coat. That hinson cover would look a lot better with consistent coloring.
p3fab
11/30/2017 6:03pm
Acidreamer wrote:
What you should do on the new engravings is leave the cover black, and fill the lettering with the powder coat. That hinson cover would look...
What you should do on the new engravings is leave the cover black, and fill the lettering with the powder coat. That hinson cover would look a lot better with consistent coloring.
I’ll get more pictures the one I put up is super dirty after a ride ( my brother sucks are washing his bike) and bad lighting. it’s all the same color black and bare aluminum.
MR. X
11/30/2017 6:19pm
Im not sure what kind of equipment you plan on using but here is some tips i have for you . Make one jig with multiple mounting holes for different covers , obviously you may have some one off covers that will take some extra work . Keep your jig in your cad program so that you can select the origin depending on which cover you are currently machining . If possible ,depending on the mill you are using ,keep a designated work offset and have the ability to mount your jig in the same place quickly (HAAS tables have dowel holes for quick setup) . Less time setting up will be key to you having a large enough window to make a profit.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
11/30/2017 6:35pm
p3fab wrote:
First of all awesome looking bike and detail! The 48 is pretty simple as far as design and size it would be on the cheaper end...
First of all awesome looking bike and detail! The 48 is pretty simple as far as design and size it would be on the cheaper end maybe 50 to 65 range. The hinsons are easier to do because that are basically flat on top. I will know more about more detailed ones soon I’m currently looking at what logos I can do from a legal stand point.
I would be willing to pay that.
p3fab
11/30/2017 6:35pm
MR. X wrote:
Im not sure what kind of equipment you plan on using but here is some tips i have for you . Make one jig with multiple...
Im not sure what kind of equipment you plan on using but here is some tips i have for you . Make one jig with multiple mounting holes for different covers , obviously you may have some one off covers that will take some extra work . Keep your jig in your cad program so that you can select the origin depending on which cover you are currently machining . If possible ,depending on the mill you are using ,keep a designated work offset and have the ability to mount your jig in the same place quickly (HAAS tables have dowel holes for quick setup) . Less time setting up will be key to you having a large enough window to make a profit.
Thanks for the advise we typically use sub plates with pin holes and mounting holes on a set offset. For this smaller machine I plan on running a jig plate that will almost never need to come out.
3/29/2018 7:18pm
Bump just to see if p3fab or anyone else is, or knows someone who is, doing the custom engravings today..
p3fab
3/29/2018 9:00pm
I am still working out some kinks right now. I did purchase a machine and I am probably 2 weeks from being operational. Do you have something you are specifically looking to get done?
3/29/2018 9:04pm
p3fab wrote:
I am still working out some kinks right now. I did purchase a machine and I am probably 2 weeks from being operational. Do you have...
I am still working out some kinks right now. I did purchase a machine and I am probably 2 weeks from being operational. Do you have something you are specifically looking to get done?
I was looking to get the clutch cover on my RM125 done. Nothing too crazy just my name and number. I'm actually still a few weeks away from even doing my motor but I have been researching to see who out there could do this..
p3fab
3/29/2018 9:10pm
p3fab wrote:
I am still working out some kinks right now. I did purchase a machine and I am probably 2 weeks from being operational. Do you have...
I was looking to get the clutch cover on my RM125 done. Nothing too crazy just my name and number. I'm actually still a few weeks...
I was looking to get the clutch cover on my RM125 done. Nothing too crazy just my name and number. I'm actually still a few weeks away from even doing my motor but I have been researching to see who out there could do this..
Sent you a pm. Look forward to working together
3/30/2018 4:17am
langhammx wrote:
I had my Hinson cover done with my # above the Hinson logo and I've had several people ask where they could get it done. A...

LanghamMX.. where did you get that Showa rear shock decal with the white outline? I have been searching for that.
Meister
3/30/2018 3:50pm
As soon as the new bike appears in the garage, I'd give you some simple business as well. Just our numbers on the clutch cover.
p3fab
3/30/2018 8:14pm
Good to hear! Motivation to get things going faster! It’s coming for sure thanks guys!
mxbigd17
3/30/2018 8:52pm
I wouldn’t mind having mine customized. Will you do stock covers? 2015 KX250F
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
3/30/2018 8:58pm
LanghamMX.. where did you get that Showa rear shock decal with the white outline? I have been searching for that.
I got a few sets of fork/shock decals from the Showa tech. Wish there was somewhere to send you, but they don't hand them out, I was in the right place at the right time.
p3fab
3/31/2018 6:06am
mxbigd17 wrote:
I wouldn’t mind having mine customized. Will you do stock covers? 2015 KX250F
Yep! Stock covers for sure
3/31/2018 6:14am
langhammx wrote:
I got a few sets of fork/shock decals from the Showa tech. Wish there was somewhere to send you, but they don't hand them out, I...
I got a few sets of fork/shock decals from the Showa tech. Wish there was somewhere to send you, but they don't hand them out, I was in the right place at the right time.
Yup.. only the factory teams get the decals with the white outline while the rest of the world gets the black outlined red letters.
walent215
3/31/2018 6:34am
Put me on the list.
1/10/2019 7:18pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2019 7:21pm
I have a fiber laser and im also a cerakote applicator. I can deep engrave or etch the base metal. I can laser engrave pretty deep. do any font, patern, or picture really. clutch covers are quite simple. I also do exhaust pipes, silencers. I can do round objects with my laser. for example I can peel off the pro circuit sticker off of my r-304 shorty and laser engrave the same image of the sticker. I could laser a dang picture of your dog if you wanted LOL. if you have the right machine I believe laser is superior to machine engraving.

braap braap!

Post a reply to: Custom clutch cover engraving

The Latest