Custom and One-Off Parts

Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
Edited Date/Time 6/20/2019 7:32pm
Have you ever asked a company for a custom part or a part that they don't already offer for sale? We occasionally get customers asking for things like this, and when I get back to them they're usually shocked at the cost.

I wrote up a blog post over the weekend about what it takes to design and manufacture a new part, and why the process is so time consuming and expensive. I used one of our newest products as it started in this exact scenario - our one-piece integrated handguard and steering damper mount top bar clamp. Check it out and let me know what you think!

https://luxonmx.com/blog-luxon-motocross-one-off-custom-parts.html

|
zookie
6/18/2019 3:18pm
Awesome part and GREAT post!

As an engineer who has worked in R&D for many years and runs a CNC mill, it is almost always cheaper on a time/material basis for me to send things out, even one-offs. Did you ever get this part quoted by a prototype shop? We often send part overseas, not because it is cheap (it isn't), but because they have beautiful parts back to us in less time than it takes many shops in the states to get us a quotation.
b8res
6/18/2019 3:20pm
Very cool write up! Thanks for breaking it all down!
lumpy790
6/18/2019 4:07pm
I 100% understand! We get that with people wanting special hoses made.
moto314
6/18/2019 5:13pm
Yes we get all the time, this product is great, you should make it for this model, I try to tell them it's not that easy. You didn't even mention the cost of the CAD, FEA, and CAM software, measuring tools, the machines, real world testing, inspection...

The Shop

Bruce372
6/18/2019 5:23pm
so i suppose the days of getting cylinder heads machined for a Chipotle are over????TongueLaughingWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohoo
Bruce372
6/18/2019 5:31pm
zookie wrote:
Awesome part and GREAT post! As an engineer who has worked in R&D for many years and runs a CNC mill, it is almost always cheaper...

As an engineer who has worked in R&D for many years and runs a CNC mill, it is almost always cheaper on a time/material basis for me to send things out, even one-offs. Did you ever get this part quoted by a prototype shop? We often send part overseas, not because it is cheap (it isn't), but because they have beautiful parts back to us in less time than it takes many shops in the states to get us a quotation.
I have to outsource work, both domestic, in Europe and Asia.

It really pains me to say it, but most recently, the domestic has been ridiculously expense and poor quality/workmanship compared to even Asia. Its maybe one poor example, and not usually poor work, but its never cheap in the US.

Right now, UK is great for outsourcing since they have highly trained workforce and a weak pound because of Brexit. Nearly as cheap as China, and we dont have to worry so much about the intellectual property products that might go on to be an asset that makes maybe $2-10 Billion (With a Cool in sales per year!
mwssquad827
6/18/2019 6:26pm
Funny this post came up... I have a buddy that has access to a cnc, laser cutter, blah blah machines and told me he could make me anything I wanted and I was super excited BUT I have no idea what I should have him make me!! Ideas???
Mr. Afterbar
6/18/2019 6:35pm
Funny this post came up... I have a buddy that has access to a cnc, laser cutter, blah blah machines and told me he could make...
Funny this post came up... I have a buddy that has access to a cnc, laser cutter, blah blah machines and told me he could make me anything I wanted and I was super excited BUT I have no idea what I should have him make me!! Ideas???
Radiator braces would be a good one to start with if you don’t already have some.
JM485
6/18/2019 9:07pm
Great write up, that summed everything up well! We're running into a similar issue with trying to make hillclimb extensions, every bike is a bit different so trying to get single sets machined is just astronomically expensive. Luckily I can do the engineering work, but the machining work has to be outsourced for now and that's just killing any amount of feasibility in the process, there's just no way it can be profitable unless we invested in our own CNC. Even at my day job we struggle with quantities, we turn out about 100 units per year so outsourced parts are very expensive for us even at those numbers. I keep telling them they need to invest in a CNC for me to play with but they're not buying into the idea. . .Whistling
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
6/19/2019 9:07am
zookie wrote:
Awesome part and GREAT post! As an engineer who has worked in R&D for many years and runs a CNC mill, it is almost always cheaper...

I run an engineering firm primarily, with moto as the "side" business. We're constantly outsourcing parts on that side and for one-offs it's typically very expensive, regardless of timeline. I've never quoted this part, particularly since it's something we wanted to turn into a product anyway so it just made sense for us to do it direct. But for something else that we didn't want as a product, it wouldn't make sense to outsource either. By the time we marked it up to make any reasonable profit, it would be more expensive than if we did it ourselves (with higher margins). And no one would want to pay that much anyway!
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
6/19/2019 9:10am
moto314 wrote:
Yes we get all the time, this product is great, you should make it for this model, I try to tell them it's not that easy...
Yes we get all the time, this product is great, you should make it for this model, I try to tell them it's not that easy. You didn't even mention the cost of the CAD, FEA, and CAM software, measuring tools, the machines, real world testing, inspection...
Exactly. We're easily six figures in just adding up software and computers alone for two people; and a lot of that is an annual expense! Add in machinery, tooling, etc. and you're nearing the $1M range in order to complete this whole process (correctly).
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
6/19/2019 9:13am
JM485 wrote:
Great write up, that summed everything up well! We're running into a similar issue with trying to make hillclimb extensions, every bike is a bit different...
Great write up, that summed everything up well! We're running into a similar issue with trying to make hillclimb extensions, every bike is a bit different so trying to get single sets machined is just astronomically expensive. Luckily I can do the engineering work, but the machining work has to be outsourced for now and that's just killing any amount of feasibility in the process, there's just no way it can be profitable unless we invested in our own CNC. Even at my day job we struggle with quantities, we turn out about 100 units per year so outsourced parts are very expensive for us even at those numbers. I keep telling them they need to invest in a CNC for me to play with but they're not buying into the idea. . .Whistling
Yep, there's really no way this can be profitable unless you go for it and bring the machining in-house. But you'll need $250k+ and someone to run it all if you want to do it right. It can be had for less with used machines, mediocre equipment, and basic tooling, but that's just asking for problems down the road. And down time is expensive too!
byke
6/19/2019 9:39am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2019 9:40am
Go onto one of the RFQ sites where they're still new and still hungry and they make it happen. All established machine shops are flooded with work and sure they'll do it for you, in eight weeks that turns into twelve at $200/hr for every second accounted for. With my work stuff, I use some specialized connectors and an order was placed in late October of last year with a twelve week lead, which turned into six months, which turned into nine, and is now pushed out to October. Another success story of being unsuccessful and a big reason why people turn to China.
kb228
6/19/2019 10:22am
Nice write up. I work in a tool and die shop as a designer, and we do similar work as far as everything being 1 off parts. Its cool to see how a dirtbike parts shop like yours goes through the process. One thing im jealous of is the stress analysis you do. My coworkers and i design everything based off of experience and what has worked previously with minimal analysis like that. I wish we did more of it to cut costs or to see potential issues we arent seeing because we dont do that analysis.

Tryhard
6/19/2019 10:25am
JM485 wrote:
Great write up, that summed everything up well! We're running into a similar issue with trying to make hillclimb extensions, every bike is a bit different...
Luxon MX wrote:
Yep, there's really no way this can be profitable unless you go for it and bring the machining in-house. But you'll need $250k+ and someone to...
Yep, there's really no way this can be profitable unless you go for it and bring the machining in-house. But you'll need $250k+ and someone to run it all if you want to do it right. It can be had for less with used machines, mediocre equipment, and basic tooling, but that's just asking for problems down the road. And down time is expensive too!
Having someone to run it is the important part, having someone who can fix issues and adequately know their way around tooling and machinery is nessicary . But I worked in a job / machine shop / manufacturing shop for about 5 years . You would be surprised as to the capabilities we had on 25 year old makino cnc mills , I'm talking 7 days 24 hour production at very strict nuclear tolerances.

My point is , dont make the excuse that you need cutting edge equipment and computer systems , that stuff is luxuries and you can still be competitive and offer inhouse manufacturing with great quality with the correct knowledge .
Sprew
6/19/2019 10:40am
zookie wrote:

Happy to quote your parts. I prototype all day long.
Markopolo400
6/19/2019 12:17pm
kb228 wrote:
Nice write up. I work in a tool and die shop as a designer, and we do similar work as far as everything being 1 off...
Nice write up. I work in a tool and die shop as a designer, and we do similar work as far as everything being 1 off parts. Its cool to see how a dirtbike parts shop like yours goes through the process. One thing im jealous of is the stress analysis you do. My coworkers and i design everything based off of experience and what has worked previously with minimal analysis like that. I wish we did more of it to cut costs or to see potential issues we arent seeing because we dont do that analysis.

Solidworks Simulation is the FEA that Luxon uses that is actually pretty decent and user friendly. Not as powerful as something like ANSYS but gets the job done.
kb228
6/19/2019 12:25pm
kb228 wrote:
Nice write up. I work in a tool and die shop as a designer, and we do similar work as far as everything being 1 off...

Solidworks Simulation is the FEA that Luxon uses that is actually pretty decent and user friendly. Not as powerful as something like ANSYS but gets the...
Solidworks Simulation is the FEA that Luxon uses that is actually pretty decent and user friendly. Not as powerful as something like ANSYS but gets the job done.
Getting bossman to shell out the cash to get us the FEA package for Unigraphics is the real challenge
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
6/19/2019 1:02pm
Solidworks Simulation is the FEA that Luxon uses that is actually pretty decent and user friendly. Not as powerful as something like ANSYS but gets the...
No, we do not use SolidWorks simulation. We have it, and could use it, but it's not up to par for a lot of tasks. Our primary FE package is the Altair HyperWorks suite. Much more powerful and more capable than SolidWorks and most anything else on the market. But it's pricey!

The FEA shown in the blog post was done using Altair SimSolid. Much of our other analysis runs and all of the optimization runs are done in Altair Optistruct set up in HyperMesh.
philG
6/19/2019 1:12pm
No cost for inspection ? How do you know they are right?
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
6/19/2019 1:14pm
Tryhard wrote:
Having someone to run it is the important part, having someone who can fix issues and adequately know their way around tooling and machinery is nessicary...
Having someone to run it is the important part, having someone who can fix issues and adequately know their way around tooling and machinery is nessicary . But I worked in a job / machine shop / manufacturing shop for about 5 years . You would be surprised as to the capabilities we had on 25 year old makino cnc mills , I'm talking 7 days 24 hour production at very strict nuclear tolerances.

My point is , dont make the excuse that you need cutting edge equipment and computer systems , that stuff is luxuries and you can still be competitive and offer inhouse manufacturing with great quality with the correct knowledge .
You can absolutely make great parts with inexpensive and/or old equipment. But there's a trade-off, particularly with time and reliability. I don't NEED $15k in laser tool setting and probing, but it easily saves an hour plus per setup. I don't NEED $15k in CAM software, but with the advanced toolpaths it gives me, I'm saving an hour of programming time and cutting parts 25% faster.

It all comes down to what your time is worth and how much time you have. I evaluated the various options and the compromise in time savings and convenience vs cost and bought what I believed to be the best setup for my goals. Someone else's compromise might be different one way or the other depending on their needs. Regardless, going from nothing to a CNC mill and supporting equipment (air compressor/dryer, electrical infrastructure, coolant, tooling, installation/setup, CAM software, workholding, etc.) you're going to be somewhere near (likely over) six-figures with reasonable quality equipment.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
6/19/2019 1:21pm
philG wrote:
It's kind of baked in to the setup costs. This particular part doesn't have any tight tolerance requirements aside from the bar clamp diameter. And since we've based it off of existing bar clamps that we made previously (and have already worked out design and machining processes for), it was pretty painless.

More complicated parts, like triple clamps, get a little more attention. We're typically doing in-process inspection with the probe on the machine (and verifying by hand) for bore diameters and position. But things are usually pretty spot-on, which is yet another argument for my last post using higher end equipment. With the laser tool setter, we're automatically calculating the tool offset and compensation in the toolpath. And with high quality tools, we don't get a lot of wear. It's easy to hit +/- .002" tolerance without even trying when you have nice stuff to work with.
Allracing
6/19/2019 1:34pm
I do product development and 3D printing and 3D scanning for a living. Great write up BTW. I get at least one call a week that asks if I can 3D scan something and then give them a full 3D parametric CAD model in about an hour. When I tell them an average part takes about 10 hours of time from set up, 3D scanning, then reverse engineering it in CAD software to get a good parametric CAD model, they can't believe it. I get people asking all the time "Isn't there just a button to convert it?"
philG
6/19/2019 2:01pm
philG wrote:
Luxon MX wrote:
It's kind of baked in to the setup costs. This particular part doesn't have any tight tolerance requirements aside from the bar clamp diameter. And since...
It's kind of baked in to the setup costs. This particular part doesn't have any tight tolerance requirements aside from the bar clamp diameter. And since we've based it off of existing bar clamps that we made previously (and have already worked out design and machining processes for), it was pretty painless.

More complicated parts, like triple clamps, get a little more attention. We're typically doing in-process inspection with the probe on the machine (and verifying by hand) for bore diameters and position. But things are usually pretty spot-on, which is yet another argument for my last post using higher end equipment. With the laser tool setter, we're automatically calculating the tool offset and compensation in the toolpath. And with high quality tools, we don't get a lot of wear. It's easy to hit +/- .002" tolerance without even trying when you have nice stuff to work with.
You mentioned you have CMM capability. I program them for a living, Nothing leaves our facility without an inspection process. The latest part we are doing a has a 500 page inspection report , but it flies, so obviously on machine verification isnt an option.

Great breakdown though, shows what it takes, and thats not a complicated part by any stretch. Good that you went to the trouble.
kb228
6/19/2019 2:06pm
philG wrote:
Luxon MX wrote:
It's kind of baked in to the setup costs. This particular part doesn't have any tight tolerance requirements aside from the bar clamp diameter. And since...

philG wrote:
You mentioned you have CMM capability. I program them for a living, Nothing leaves our facility without an inspection process. The latest part we are doing...
You mentioned you have CMM capability. I program them for a living, Nothing leaves our facility without an inspection process. The latest part we are doing a has a 500 page inspection report , but it flies, so obviously on machine verification isnt an option.

Great breakdown though, shows what it takes, and thats not a complicated part by any stretch. Good that you went to the trouble.
Best thing for production parts is to have an inspection gauge rather than using a CMM machine. Much easier to check 1 part per batch on a fixture than fully CMM eveything.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
6/19/2019 2:31pm
philG wrote:
You mentioned you have CMM capability. I program them for a living, Nothing leaves our facility without an inspection process. The latest part we are doing...

We have a probe head on the CNC machine; not quite a CMM, but essentially the same concept. Of course you need to be careful cutting and measuring on the same machine as runout in an axis (or similar) will cut the feature wrong, but it might still probe in tolerance, but actually be wrong. That's why we validate any important measurements off the machine. Should we require one, we can outsource CMM work to a company up the street. I actually used to program CMMs about 10 years ago (PC-DMIS on a Brown & Sharpe), we just don't have the demand to justify having one.

It's important to have a good understanding of what matters and what can go wrong throughout this whole process. For this particular part, I did everything myself. I have the engineering background to know what matters in the final part and what doesn't as far as strength, stiffness, fit, tolerance, etc. I also have a good understanding of what can go wrong in programming and on the machine. A quick visual inspection of the part combined with a few simple measurements using the probe and/or micrometers is enough for most of the motocross parts we do.

It all comes down to the cost/benefit of everything. 100% inspection is possible, but isn't required and wouldn't yield much benefit on these parts. Inspection of critical features is usually all that's necessary.
philG
6/19/2019 2:48pm
kb228 wrote:
Best thing for production parts is to have an inspection gauge rather than using a CMM machine. Much easier to check 1 part per batch on...
Best thing for production parts is to have an inspection gauge rather than using a CMM machine. Much easier to check 1 part per batch on a fixture than fully CMM eveything.
And the cost of that fixture ? This isnt a production part , its a low run item. CMM's remove the need for hundreds of gauges , which is why we have 5 , because whatever we make, we dont have to make anything to check it.
LumpDog841
6/19/2019 3:05pm Edited Date/Time 6/19/2019 3:08pm
Luxon MX wrote:
No, we do not use SolidWorks simulation. We have it, and could use it, but it's not up to par for a lot of tasks. Our...
No, we do not use SolidWorks simulation. We have it, and could use it, but it's not up to par for a lot of tasks. Our primary FE package is the Altair HyperWorks suite. Much more powerful and more capable than SolidWorks and most anything else on the market. But it's pricey!

The FEA shown in the blog post was done using Altair SimSolid. Much of our other analysis runs and all of the optimization runs are done in Altair Optistruct set up in HyperMesh.
Yeah solidworks is a joke compared to HW. Not going to lie I've grown to sort of really dislike HyperMesh and it's instability issues and it's inability to properly handle include files. At the moment using Primer for Pre work for DYNA is really nice. Though I will admit I did just get HW17, so we'll see if that is any better.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
6/19/2019 4:22pm
LumpDog841 wrote:
Yeah solidworks is a joke compared to HW. Not going to lie I've grown to sort of really dislike HyperMesh and it's instability issues and it's...
Yeah solidworks is a joke compared to HW. Not going to lie I've grown to sort of really dislike HyperMesh and it's instability issues and it's inability to properly handle include files. At the moment using Primer for Pre work for DYNA is really nice. Though I will admit I did just get HW17, so we'll see if that is any better.
We've used HyperWorks 2017 for the last couple years and it's been quite stable, much better than previous releases. Just upgraded to 2019, so we'll see how that goes!

Post a reply to: Custom and One-Off Parts

The Latest