Custom Painted Helmets?

mxb2
Edited Date/Time 9/16/2012 5:31pm
Anybody have any opinions or advice on Tegger or AP designs not cheap but looks trick, any pics of your helmets? The graphics now are pretty good compared to back in the day. Wondered if anyone would even spend that money for a custom lid. The factory boys get m free so $ is not a problem.
|
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/5/2010 1:26am
I love custom helmets, but as you mentioned, stock graphics are night and day ahead of where they were a few years ago.

These days? They're for people who want to make a statement, or who have lots of disposable income.
ogdeno
8/5/2010 2:13am
Use to love the custom lids from the 80's/90's. Damn, i thought this thread might be show a pic of your favourite custom lid. How about it?
Jake-247
8/5/2010 2:24am
Anyone know how much it would cost (roughly) to get a helmet painted properly?
shanhard
8/5/2010 3:38am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2010 4:51am
Around $500-1000AUD mate, depending on level of detail. A friend of mine paints helmets here in Perth... check out some of his MX helmet work, if you need a hook up let me know I can PM you his details.

The Shop

8/5/2010 4:24am
Dude those are some clean paint jobs... some of them I don't necessarily like the design, but still excellent work nonetheless! really like the first one the most!
shanhard
8/5/2010 4:42am
Yeah the first one is my favourite too. Check out some of the bitumen helmet's he's done too....

kxking
Fantasy
1235th
8/5/2010 4:48am
Wow, your boy has skillz!
Nice work
8/5/2010 5:18am
The scond from the last, and the USAF ones are my faves in the second set.

And yes, your friend is very talented! It has always been a dream of mine to start my own helmet painting business... I've only painted one in my life and it actually turned out pretty good. I'll try to find a pic.

Your guy has nice clean work.

Anyone remember Ric Duppstadt from Texas? He was the man in the 90s for painting your helmets...

Or Mike Taylor Designs, or No Limit... man No Limit painted the SICKEST helmet I've ever seen for RC when he was on 80s. I even asked him about one time at an SX and he laughed and said he couldn't believe I remembered it. Had some purple Maxxx guy on it.

I cannot find a pic of the finished product but here it is in progress

And here is one of my FAVORITE EVER!!!!!

8/5/2010 5:21am
The above helemt is the one and only that I've attempted... I still have all of my equipment, but I've just been too busy with college, then acareer... but things are slowing down now and I'm looking to get back into it!. It is a lot more difficult than it looks, yet at the same time is strangely simple.
Whitey
8/5/2010 5:33am
The bloke that paints the helmets Shan put up is a good friend of mine, known each other for about 30 years, he first painted a helmet for me in about 87/88, we liken him to our Troy Lee, for obvious reasons.

I am glad you put them up Shannon, the guys that have met me and Rod through our travels in the US will finaly get to see what he is capable of.
buggz
8/5/2010 6:19am
Screwy Designs did a helmet for Mike Healey that was AWSOME! It was on the cover of Dirt Rider mag back in 96?97? YZ125 test issue. Really like some of the ones you guys posted, I like the nice clean design ones best.
rallendude
8/5/2010 6:26am
My all time favorite is Guy Cooper's from his Suzuki days. I found out years later that a Vitalmxer bq_365's dad painted it.

Still love that helmet.
jeffro503
8/5/2010 6:54am
I used to ride with a helmet that was auctioned off in a raffle for the 1998 Washougal national. I WON the helmet!! I only bought one ticket and really pissed some people off , including some friends which bought like 100 tickets HAHA!!

About 5-6 years ago , I face planted into a tree and fractured the mouth guard on it , so i replaced it and kept it as a mantle piece. It's a Shoie VFX.

Anyways....the outfit that painted it is really popular out here in the NW and actually used to sponsor a lot of big name riders. You can check them out here >>> http://www.blowsion.com/graphic/helmets/helmet8.asp

He still paints helmets , and I'm not 100% sure if he still paints the "Oregon Ducks" football helmets , but he used to. Phli Knight from Nike paid him $5,000 EACH for those "real gold flake" Oregon Ducks helmets.
jeffro503
8/5/2010 6:56am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2010 6:57am
rallendude wrote:
My all time favorite is Guy Cooper's from his Suzuki days. I found out years later that a Vitalmxer bq_365's dad painted it. Still love that...
My all time favorite is Guy Cooper's from his Suzuki days. I found out years later that a Vitalmxer bq_365's dad painted it.

Still love that helmet.
Bretts dad painted helmets? What was the name of the painting Co.?? Didn't know that. And yeah.....Coopers helmet was badass!
Shenzi
Fantasy
1233rd
8/5/2010 7:09am
around $450-$500 to get a lid painted in the US. Both Tagger and AP are excellent. AP is also the exclusive Monster Energy painter though so could be busy at times, although X is done now.
PD441
8/5/2010 7:32am
shanhard wrote:
Around $500-1000AUD mate, depending on level of detail. A friend of mine paints helmets here in Perth... check out some of his MX helmet work, if...
Around $500-1000AUD mate, depending on level of detail. A friend of mine paints helmets here in Perth... check out some of his MX helmet work, if you need a hook up let me know I can PM you his details.

Rod Gilchrist's work. Very talented artist and a good dude.
peelout719
8/5/2010 8:13am
buggz wrote:
Screwy Designs did a helmet for Mike Healey that was AWSOME! It was on the cover of Dirt Rider mag back in 96?97? YZ125 test issue...
Screwy Designs did a helmet for Mike Healey that was AWSOME! It was on the cover of Dirt Rider mag back in 96?97? YZ125 test issue. Really like some of the ones you guys posted, I like the nice clean design ones best.
are you talking about the black one with different color flames on either side?

like flourescent yellow on one side and a bright red on the opposite? loved that helmet.

healy's helmets were always so sick... i remember he wore a half face helmet up in Boise at Owyhee one year... that half face helmet was the baddest ass custom job i've ever seen. some old photo's of his helmets would be cool to see
Whitey
8/5/2010 8:23am
shanhard wrote:
Around $500-1000AUD mate, depending on level of detail. A friend of mine paints helmets here in Perth... check out some of his MX helmet work, if...

PD441 wrote:
Rod Gilchrist's work. Very talented artist and a good dude.
Paul, good story about the Helmet with Maula on the back. (3rd from the top)

Maulla is a guy here who won quite a lot through Minis and then when he went to Seniors locally. When he had finished riding MX he had a crack at Road Racing. He had a bad crash Road Racing and is now in a chair. There was a fund raiser for Matt at the local MX track and that helmet was what Rod painted it for. It ended up going for a few 1000 from what i remember and the guy that won it gave it straight to Matt to have.
PD441
8/5/2010 8:33am
Cool story and that's a great looking lid. All of them are.
Conkey
8/5/2010 9:29am
Chris Wood and his team at Air Trix rule!
8/5/2010 9:43am
There's a guy in Mass. named Lee Helliwell that has done some really,really nice custom painted helmets - I think he posts here sometimes.
Conkey
8/5/2010 9:46am
Hellion is very good as well. He's pretty respected here in New England.
Bronson905
Fantasy
536th
8/5/2010 12:06pm
Tagger Designs prices start at $650 for a fully custom lid. The price gets higher depending on how detailed you want the helmet, for example tattoo art, mural stuff, or like skullcandy designs. The work is great quality and turn-around time is not long, since X Games is done, and the riders at Loretta's have already gotten their lids. Check out his work @ myspace.com/taggerdesigns

Thanks guys.
mxb2
8/5/2010 1:47pm
Nice lid worcsracer808, keep the piks coming gang thanks!
DrSweden
8/5/2010 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2010 2:02pm
The scond from the last, and the USAF ones are my faves in the second set. And yes, your friend is very talented! It has always...
The scond from the last, and the USAF ones are my faves in the second set.

And yes, your friend is very talented! It has always been a dream of mine to start my own helmet painting business... I've only painted one in my life and it actually turned out pretty good. I'll try to find a pic.

Your guy has nice clean work.

Anyone remember Ric Duppstadt from Texas? He was the man in the 90s for painting your helmets...

Or Mike Taylor Designs, or No Limit... man No Limit painted the SICKEST helmet I've ever seen for RC when he was on 80s. I even asked him about one time at an SX and he laughed and said he couldn't believe I remembered it. Had some purple Maxxx guy on it.

I cannot find a pic of the finished product but here it is in progress

And here is one of my FAVORITE EVER!!!!!

I totally agree about the USAF helmet. I love that TLD Se Gunner helmet because of that painting, I finally found one i Sweden! Not bad design for a mass product.

Try to find the pic of your lid when it was done. How do you do that? They use airbrush? The bad part of this is that I tend to drop my helmet at times, or even crash which makes this extra painful so to say...
8/6/2010 12:40pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I used to ride with a helmet that was auctioned off in a raffle for the 1998 Washougal national. I WON the helmet!! I only bought...
I used to ride with a helmet that was auctioned off in a raffle for the 1998 Washougal national. I WON the helmet!! I only bought one ticket and really pissed some people off , including some friends which bought like 100 tickets HAHA!!

About 5-6 years ago , I face planted into a tree and fractured the mouth guard on it , so i replaced it and kept it as a mantle piece. It's a Shoie VFX.

Anyways....the outfit that painted it is really popular out here in the NW and actually used to sponsor a lot of big name riders. You can check them out here >>> http://www.blowsion.com/graphic/helmets/helmet8.asp

He still paints helmets , and I'm not 100% sure if he still paints the "Oregon Ducks" football helmets , but he used to. Phli Knight from Nike paid him $5,000 EACH for those "real gold flake" Oregon Ducks helmets.
You mean this helmet?

I don't think RonnieQ painted it... I think this is a TLD job.
8/6/2010 12:50pm
rallendude wrote:
My all time favorite is Guy Cooper's from his Suzuki days. I found out years later that a Vitalmxer bq_365's dad painted it. Still love that...

Still love that helmet.
jeffro503 wrote:
Bretts dad painted helmets? What was the name of the painting Co.?? Didn't know that. And yeah.....Coopers helmet was badass!
He doesn't have a 'company' per se.... if you know him then he will paint you a helmet. And he does/did a lot of Kenny Bartram's helmets too. I am not sure if he will paint just anyone's helmet, but I haven't talked to RonnieQ in quite a long time. Your best bet would be to go through Brett.

And the Cooper helmet that I posted a pic of isn't a Ronnie Cue paintjob, it is Troy Lee Designs. Ronnie's work is very distinctive and that is not some of his.

Check out Ric Duppstadt's work here... anyone from Texas/Oklahoma area from the 90s will recognize his work the instant you see it.

Post a reply to: Custom Painted Helmets?

The Latest