Crowd size now and crowd size then

zookrider62!
Fantasy
719th
5/27/2019 3:25pm
Pala isn't worth it to watch a race for the trouble. Glen Helen been to 2 nationals. Worth it. Even dealing with the 215 traffic.
Adam43 wrote:
Yes, it's important to realize that MX Sports brought this on themselves by playing tough with Glen Helen. No doubt they are difficult to deal with...
Yes, it's important to realize that MX Sports brought this on themselves by playing tough with Glen Helen.

No doubt they are difficult to deal with - but they are the only venue that can ensure a good draw in Southern California.

This type of experiment (Pala/Elsinore Nationals) has already been run over the past decade. Everyone involved would have done well to remember the results.
Glen Helen killed it with the GPs, so many fans showed up that they had to cancel their plans to host the des nations for fear of too many people being there.
Spergen
5/27/2019 3:50pm
Thanks for the tip. Is VIP worth the extra money ?
Yes. VIP camping is a lot more civilized, closer to the track and has electric hook ups, showers and nice bogs. Easy access in too, so no long cues into the event. I'll be doing it again even though I'm in a tent surrounded by 100k motorhomes 😂
hubbardmx50
5/27/2019 4:30pm
Yeah I’m not sure what’s up with people here in CA. We have the best weather in the world and Most people my age just want...
Yeah I’m not sure what’s up with people here in CA. We have the best weather in the world and Most people my age just want to be on Facebook all day and sit in the house. Every practice track (Besides Milestone) is virtually empty every weekend and local races get very low turn out. The turnout at Pala was decent but nothing compared to Glen Helen 10-15 years ago. The price gouging for tickets/Pit Passes definitely doesn’t help but it’s not enough to keep me away from a kick-ass sunburned day of watching some great racing.
Which tracks are empty on practice days? I ride cahuilla, pala, milestone, and perris. All busy on the most weekends.
SoCalMX70 wrote:
His post is bullshit, that's why. What you listed, plus LACR and Glen Helen are busy too. Every weekend.
Lol, go ride Sunrise MX sometime. There will be 15 people in the entire facility. It was the same story with comp Edge. Pala and Perris do pretty good. I don’t ride LACR too often.

The Shop

motogrady
5/27/2019 4:37pm
BRING BACK SUNDAY MOTOCROSS! My money hasn't gone to pro moto for 5 of the last 7 years simply because I and many millions of other...
BRING BACK SUNDAY MOTOCROSS! My money hasn't gone to pro moto for 5 of the last 7 years simply because I and many millions of other Americans have to work the 6th day of the week. If Highpoint was on a Sunday this year regardless of my future vacation plans I would still attend regardless. Nevertheless I will be at work father's day Saturday with 15 other guys who didn't spend their money that day to watch the race.
Thor34103 wrote:
I agree with you 100 percent Professional outdoor MX belongs on Sunday so industry people at the local level like parts guys and sales guys at...
I agree with you 100 percent Professional outdoor MX belongs on Sunday so industry people at the local level like parts guys and sales guys at your local dealership could attend.
Agreed. Motocross races are for Sunday.
plowboy
5/27/2019 4:40pm
plowboy wrote:
I've been to MX/GP races since the '70's. The traffic has never once been a problem for me. I arrive before the gates open and just...
I've been to MX/GP races since the '70's. The traffic has never once been a problem for me. I arrive before the gates open and just bench race with folks in the lot til the craziness is over. The race is on the track...not in/out of the parking lots.

Now, if you need something to gripe about...it's the lines for food and especially water. We used to bitch about the lack of port-o-pots but most tracks have a decent handle on that nowadays. I'd gladly pay an extra $20 bucks to get a stamp on my hand that gave me unlimited water at DEDICATED "water only" kiosks that are as plentiful as the pottys. It's stupid to stand in line for 30 minutes at a food vendor when all you want is a bottle of water. Yes, I could carry my own but have you tried schlepping a case of water around Thunder Valley...lol. I vaguely remember talking to DC about this year's ago. He said food and beverage is the track operators deal, if I remember correctly. In any case, it ain't a deal breaker.
gt80rider wrote:
Dude raising his hand to pay 20 bucks for water.... Btw... I have a bridge near NYC that I am trying to sell... Pm me for...
Dude raising his hand to pay 20 bucks for water....

Btw... I have a bridge near NYC that I am trying to sell... Pm me for a killer price... 😉
No...I'd pay $20 bucks for there to be water near where ever on the track I choose to roam. Not at a 30 minute wait food vendor who has run out. Or having to hump 20+ pounds of water from the vehicle. I figure 20 bottles of water for two people is about right for Thunder Valley. $20 bucks is a bargain.Wink
Dropbear
5/27/2019 4:42pm
I might get flamed, but why in the US Nationals does it seem that people just want to get it over and done with. Saturday doesn’t make any sense, remember it’s “On any Sunday”.
plowboy
5/27/2019 4:46pm
Dropbear wrote:
I might get flamed, but why in the US Nationals does it seem that people just want to get it over and done with. Saturday doesn’t...
I might get flamed, but why in the US Nationals does it seem that people just want to get it over and done with. Saturday doesn’t make any sense, remember it’s “On any Sunday”.
I believe Roger led the fight for this change. The racers wanted to spend Sundays at home. I don't think I've heard any of the teams complaining about it.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
5/27/2019 4:48pm
Dropbear wrote:
I might get flamed, but why in the US Nationals does it seem that people just want to get it over and done with. Saturday doesn’t...
I believe the shortening was for TV?
I dont really care of its on a Saturday or a Sunday personally.
As far as numbers being down i think it will always be a reflection of local Riding, if the numbers are down at a grassroots level than they will be down at a spectators level for pro racing, the people that ride are the people that are gonna watch.
Sluggo77
5/27/2019 5:04pm
Saturday racing is good for the riders, not the fans. It is harder to draw fans who may otherwise drive in from farther places. It is more worthwhile if you can make it a whole weekend event. Set up camp late Friday night or early Saturday and soak in the whole experience. You know, get autographs, check out the factory bikes, monster babes, hang out, eat too much food, have a nap, buy some swag, stay up late, get drunk and so forth. Crash and wake up just in time to watch some great racing.
motogrady
5/27/2019 5:09pm
Dropbear wrote:
plowboy wrote:
I believe Roger led the fight for this change. The racers wanted to spend Sundays at home. I don't think I've heard any of the teams...
I believe Roger led the fight for this change. The racers wanted to spend Sundays at home. I don't think I've heard any of the teams complaining about it.

I remember hearing the same thing.
The industry guys wanted it.
Dropbear
5/27/2019 5:13pm
Dropbear wrote:
plowboy wrote:
I believe Roger led the fight for this change. The racers wanted to spend Sundays at home. I don't think I've heard any of the teams...
motogrady wrote:

That’s what I mean. To the industry guys it’s work, but to the paying public it’s leisure.
kpiper
5/27/2019 5:19pm
How does having the race on Saturday help compared to Sunday for the riders? Not like an extra day off.

I thought I heard once it was for TV. DC should know why the switch.

In the old days, motorcycle shops were closed on Mondays. That is because they were at the races on Sunday.
SoCalMX70
5/27/2019 5:20pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2019 5:20pm
Which tracks are empty on practice days? I ride cahuilla, pala, milestone, and perris. All busy on the most weekends.
SoCalMX70 wrote:
His post is bullshit, that's why. What you listed, plus LACR and Glen Helen are busy too. Every weekend.
Lol, go ride Sunrise MX sometime. There will be 15 people in the entire facility. It was the same story with comp Edge. Pala and Perris...
Lol, go ride Sunrise MX sometime. There will be 15 people in the entire facility. It was the same story with comp Edge. Pala and Perris do pretty good. I don’t ride LACR too often.
Did I say Sunrise? I already know what it's like there. I ride almost every week, all over. I know who gets traffic.
Point is you're still wrong, it ain't all Milestone.
Sluggo77
5/27/2019 5:54pm
plowboy wrote:
motogrady wrote:

Dropbear wrote:
That’s what I mean. To the industry guys it’s work, but to the paying public it’s leisure.
That is exactly the thing. It is now a get in and out as fast as you can deal instead of a weekend event designed for the consumer.
Personally, an in and out deal is not worth the cost and travel time.
plowboy
5/27/2019 6:06pm
motogrady wrote:

Dropbear wrote:
Sluggo77 wrote:
That is exactly the thing. It is now a get in and out as fast as you can deal instead of a weekend event designed for...
That is exactly the thing. It is now a get in and out as fast as you can deal instead of a weekend event designed for the consumer.
I don't know. There's nothing really close to me. I've always had to take vacation on Monday and now Friday's to attend a race. It's a wash really.
Rhody
5/27/2019 6:13pm
Sluggo77 wrote:
That is exactly the thing. It is now a get in and out as fast as you can deal instead of a weekend event designed for...
I feel that most events I go to now are not meant to entertain me, they are just an excuse to get my money out of my pocket as fast as possible so the staff can get home early and not be inconvenienced. Not saying that about MX Nationals in particular, just a general thing that keeps me from going to any event.
motogrady
5/27/2019 6:14pm
plowboy wrote:
motogrady wrote:

Dropbear wrote:

If they want off on Sunday get a job down at the local ford dealership spinning wrenches.

Saturday a lot work. Or the wife has her list.

Sunday, I dunno, unless you are hard core church going, Sunday is a kinda do what u want imo.
hubbardmx50
5/27/2019 9:41pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
Lol, go ride Sunrise MX sometime. There will be 15 people in the entire facility. It was the same story with comp Edge. Pala and Perris...
SoCalMX70 wrote:
Did I say Sunrise? I already know what it's like there. I ride almost every week, all over. I know who gets traffic. Point is you're...
Did I say Sunrise? I already know what it's like there. I ride almost every week, all over. I know who gets traffic.
Point is you're still wrong, it ain't all Milestone.
It’s not that deep bro I’m just sharing what I’ve experienced. I’m at the tracks every week too.... calm down. Lol
hubbardmx50
5/27/2019 9:53pm
If my post is such bullshit why did we lose Five tracks in the last year In Southern California? Elsinore Comp Edge Zaca AV Motoplex Piru.... Obviously the sport ain’t what it used to be.
SoCalMX70
5/27/2019 10:09pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2019 11:27pm
If my post is such bullshit why did we lose Five tracks in the last year In Southern California? Elsinore Comp Edge Zaca AV Motoplex Piru...
If my post is such bullshit why did we lose Five tracks in the last year In Southern California? Elsinore Comp Edge Zaca AV Motoplex Piru.... Obviously the sport ain’t what it used to be.
Edit: Forget it. Keep spreading ignorance, I'll be riding all the "empty" tracks out here.
5/28/2019 6:01am
Dropbear wrote:
plowboy wrote:
Wait a minute.....the riders want to be home on Sunday? They have raced all their lives on Sunday and THEY need to be at home instead of racing? The factory riders fly in and fly out, get catered to all weekend and THEY need to be home on Sunday? Maybe they have to mow their yard. WTF? Racing is their job. They don't have to rest up on Sunday and go to work on Monday. They get paid to race. If that's on Sunday and they don't like it, then find another job. Maybe a real job like the rest of us.
Dropbear
5/28/2019 6:13am
Dropbear wrote:
plowboy wrote:
Is tennis played on Sundays?
Stuntman949
5/28/2019 7:48am
Motodave15 wrote:
California Crowds should be taken with a heavy grain of salt...Other states and locations definitely pull out the real ones.
GuyB wrote:
You're not wrong. Late-arriving, and early departure is the order of the day for CA fans.
We got stuff to do
mxtech1
5/28/2019 8:40am
Sluggo77 wrote:
Saturday racing is good for the riders, not the fans. It is harder to draw fans who may otherwise drive in from farther places. It is...
Saturday racing is good for the riders, not the fans. It is harder to draw fans who may otherwise drive in from farther places. It is more worthwhile if you can make it a whole weekend event. Set up camp late Friday night or early Saturday and soak in the whole experience. You know, get autographs, check out the factory bikes, monster babes, hang out, eat too much food, have a nap, buy some swag, stay up late, get drunk and so forth. Crash and wake up just in time to watch some great racing.
How is it all that different for the fans with the Saturday format? Sure, it makes for a long Friday night if you have to pack up and travel to the track after work, but on the flipside you can be home late Saturday night or at a decent time Sunday with just enough time to relax before heading back to work on Monday.

With the old Sunday format, we use to use Saturday as the travel/relax day and then it was always a late night getting home Sunday. Monday morning work was always fun.
AbouttheRide
Fantasy
2914th
5/28/2019 9:57am
I live 15 miles away and wanted to go. Just Not worth the crazy traffic jams.
I sounds wrong but it is soooooo true. Plus Glen Helen is just better to watch a race at. Hands down! Its expensive to attend a national and I don't want to spend my money to sit in hours of traffic to finally get in and not have a good view of the track etc... I honestly cant explain why Glen Helen gets better attendance but those are my reasons and I have a feeling the same goes for a good amount of people in this area.
Crossup
5/28/2019 11:55am Edited Date/Time 5/28/2019 11:57am
Attending a national is pretty grueling, and people are not as willing to walk a mile, stand in the sun, spend lots of dollars and come...
Attending a national is pretty grueling, and people are not as willing to walk a mile, stand in the sun, spend lots of dollars and come home dusty and tired. I hauled my 5 year-old daughter around in a wagon at Hangtown in the mud and the next day felt like I had spun a few laps. But attending is still the best- it's a party!
Its kind of funny you said that. In almost all types of retail, entertainment, sporting events, etc.. they are all spending money to trying to improve the experience and up-the-game to get people to come back. The are shooting for a better overall experience that people will repeat. Supercross for instance has up'd their game.

I have been to every nationals tracks and most of the supercross venues. I can understand how guys, kids, and core girls can hang with the conditions, but it is a pretty miserable experience, unless you are REALLY into motocross. Carnival level food, poor visibility, almost no seating (unless you get there at 6am and beat the people laying out family blankets), dirty in the heat, muddy in the rain, traffic lock up in and out, limited pits access, poor visibilty, etc... I love motocross and will always go when I can, but off the track itself, the rest sucks.
5/28/2019 1:10pm
I live 15 miles away and wanted to go. Just Not worth the crazy traffic jams.
I sounds wrong but it is soooooo true. Plus Glen Helen is just better to watch a race at. Hands down! Its expensive to attend a...
I sounds wrong but it is soooooo true. Plus Glen Helen is just better to watch a race at. Hands down! Its expensive to attend a national and I don't want to spend my money to sit in hours of traffic to finally get in and not have a good view of the track etc... I honestly cant explain why Glen Helen gets better attendance but those are my reasons and I have a feeling the same goes for a good amount of people in this area.
Only problem with Glen Helen if you get to the national late. Parking is a long walk. However usually people around to give you a ride.
Sc2
5/28/2019 1:28pm
Been to Matterly Basin twice & getting out was horrendous both times, 2 hours to get off the site & then an hour to get to...
Been to Matterly Basin twice & getting out was horrendous both times, 2 hours to get off the site & then an hour to get to the motorway. I could go & walk the track whilst the crowd dies down but I don’t like the idea of leaving my car in the middle of a field while others negotiate around it, bound to come back to it with scuffs & dents on it. Still plan to go next year if I can, may go VIP if I know getting out is easier.

Really wanna do a European round too, maybe Valkenswaard or St Jean d’ Angely, anyone know what the traffic is like getting out of them places?
I went in March and it only took around 30 mins to get out

The year before , I parked at work in Winchester , then got the shuttle bus, was allrite going in, but waited over an hr for it to turn up getting out. So never again

For des nations, we parked in a tiny side rode off the main road (drove to it via the back roads as I know the area )then cycled in and out in 5-10 mins, was home and feet up with in 35 mins of leaving , smart move

From what I have seen , the last 4 years they've seem to get it about as good as it gets, which a small price to pay for the good day out
5/28/2019 1:48pm
Been to Matterly Basin twice & getting out was horrendous both times, 2 hours to get off the site & then an hour to get to...
Been to Matterly Basin twice & getting out was horrendous both times, 2 hours to get off the site & then an hour to get to the motorway. I could go & walk the track whilst the crowd dies down but I don’t like the idea of leaving my car in the middle of a field while others negotiate around it, bound to come back to it with scuffs & dents on it. Still plan to go next year if I can, may go VIP if I know getting out is easier.

Really wanna do a European round too, maybe Valkenswaard or St Jean d’ Angely, anyone know what the traffic is like getting out of them places?
Sc2 wrote:
I went in March and it only took around 30 mins to get out The year before , I parked at work in Winchester , then...
I went in March and it only took around 30 mins to get out

The year before , I parked at work in Winchester , then got the shuttle bus, was allrite going in, but waited over an hr for it to turn up getting out. So never again

For des nations, we parked in a tiny side rode off the main road (drove to it via the back roads as I know the area )then cycled in and out in 5-10 mins, was home and feet up with in 35 mins of leaving , smart move

From what I have seen , the last 4 years they've seem to get it about as good as it gets, which a small price to pay for the good day out
Local knowledge is a godsend. My local is Canada Heights & know all the back roads & quiet lanes to park. There was a time when my father & I used to park at my nans & walk 2 or 3 miles across farmers fields to get to the track. Getting out of a British round isn’t as busy as a gp but you can get caught behind an artic going down one of the narrows getting out of the place.

Post a reply to: Crowd size now and crowd size then

The Latest