CrossFit

MXD
Edited Date/Time 1/22/2015 6:40pm
Has anyone tried this? If so, can you give me some feedback? I'm a 40 year old vet B rider, hockey player and casual road and mountain biker. I'm in above average shape for the average 40 year old but I really want to step up my overall condition and athleticism. One important detail is that 2 and half years ago I had a microdiscectomy for a ruptured disc. The surgery was a total success and I have returned to a normal life but I still need to take certain precautions while working out.
|
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
1/20/2015 5:31pm
I have not. But i do know a older vet rider then you are that started doing the insanity workout with his son and he is now in amazing shape and can ride slow for a many of laps! Comes of the track dry as a bone like he just got done eating dinner.
hammertime
1/20/2015 5:35pm
If you do it, try and set a world record and not tell the next 50 people you see that you Are into crossfit-Smile )))
mjskier
1/20/2015 6:00pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2015 6:14pm
I don't do crossfit, but I watch it for entertainment.
I'm sure it can be done properly, but seems to me a lot of locations encourage people to go way too heavy with crappy form. Good way to get hurt.

The Shop

BurtbaC
1/20/2015 6:07pm
I have friends that swear by it but they don't really do anything else sports wise. I've thought about giving it a try but its way to expensive for my blood, almost $200 a month just to get into the gym.

Skippie
1/20/2015 6:12pm
Why would you pay that much money to do stuff you can do in your backyard? The idea itself is cool but I still think crossfit is dumb. I would just hit the gym more, maybe get a personal trainer if that's your thing.
Hgibbs566
1/20/2015 6:14pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2015 6:15pm
I tried it and hurt myself pretty good. Tore my bicep.

I prefer the normal gym workouts with cycling during the week over crossfit.
hvaughn88
1/20/2015 6:40pm
I don't have a problem with crossfit. I have a problem with all the people that think I want to hear them talk about crossfit
Tonycar107
1/20/2015 6:57pm
Youtube fitnessblender hiit . They are free and you can do them in your living room. Same crap as overpriced crossfit. I have been doing them for years, just have to be self motivated. I've got my morning heart rate in the low to mid 40's when I'm rested.
Camp332
1/20/2015 6:57pm
Research the lifts you will be doing at Crossfit. They focus a lot on the olympic lifts. Snatch, back squats, and Clean n jerks are all awesome, but also require proper technique to avoid injury. I say try it if you're willing to accept the learning curve involved in it. I worked out at a crossfit gym here, but it was too much money for me to justify it. $145 a month
stone881
1/20/2015 7:10pm
MXD wrote:
Has anyone tried this? If so, can you give me some feedback? I'm a 40 year old vet B rider, hockey player and casual road and...
Has anyone tried this? If so, can you give me some feedback? I'm a 40 year old vet B rider, hockey player and casual road and mountain biker. I'm in above average shape for the average 40 year old but I really want to step up my overall condition and athleticism. One important detail is that 2 and half years ago I had a microdiscectomy for a ruptured disc. The surgery was a total success and I have returned to a normal life but I still need to take certain precautions while working out.
I am in a similar position, 40, vet a/b, ride bikes, etc. I think that diet at our age plays an obviously big role and the more fruit/veg you eat and the less junk, makes a huge difference.

The other thing I would recommend is to get a trainer to push your fitness level. Its so easy to plateau, and they can help you tailor a program specifically for moto. Seems to me that the Crossfit thing is focused more on power and less on endurance. One other thing that is often overlooked is flexibility. Go do some yoga a couple of times a week and you'll be amazed at how much better your body feels and recovers.
Flip109
1/20/2015 7:12pm
Crossfit can be a fun way to train if you are already pretty strong and in good shape. If not, you would be better off following a reg strength and conditioning program, to build your self up. Seen to many weak ass people at my buddy's xfit gym, and it's just sad watching them jerk off to a bunch of workouts they have no business doing yet.

Oh and you said you had back issues before? You better be extra careful.
Preston412
1/20/2015 7:13pm
Try a free session if a local place will let you, it is not something to replace a normal workout with.
To step up your race game, find out what your heart rate is during a good race, then train in that zone.
I use the TRX and weights twice a week and cardio 3 times a week, spin bike and rowing machine.
10 minute warm up, 20 to 30 minutes in my race heart rate zone and cool down with stretching, every couple weeks I do sprints to learn to control my heart rate and slow it down with concentration and breathing.
During a practice day, due at least 15 minutes at race pace.
Brent
1/20/2015 7:16pm
That depends, do you like injuring yourself? [img]https://i.imgur.com/hlxjgwy.gif[/img]
That depends, do you like injuring yourself?

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingWoohooSillyPinch

That dude is the fucking boss...
bvm111
1/20/2015 7:23pm
cross fit is for sissies that cant lift broTongue
1/20/2015 7:37pm
The responses in this thread are going better than expected!

Stay away from CrossFit. Metabolic conditioning and circuit training are great. Compound movement lifts are great. Kipping is not great.
Skippie
1/20/2015 7:43pm
The responses in this thread are going better than expected! Stay away from CrossFit. Metabolic conditioning and circuit training are great. Compound movement lifts are great...
The responses in this thread are going better than expected!

Stay away from CrossFit. Metabolic conditioning and circuit training are great. Compound movement lifts are great. Kipping is not great.
Bro how am I supposed to get wide lats then?
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
1/20/2015 7:50pm
MXD wrote:
Has anyone tried this? If so, can you give me some feedback? I'm a 40 year old vet B rider, hockey player and casual road and...
Do it if you want to be continuously injured and want to wear out your joints.
Crush
1/20/2015 7:53pm
To say it's good or bad is to make a generalisation either way.

Can be good, but there are crossfit people who teach rushing shit like deadlifts and doing silly pull ups and wonder why there are heaps of injuries...
1/21/2015 1:01am
I get a pretty good deal on personal training at a local gym. $69 a month and I get unlimited hour long classes. The only thing that sucks is the classes are 95% filled with older women but if you actually do the workouts your heart will be racing the whole time. j just don't have the motivation to push myself that hard and it helps having someone telling you what to do.
Outsider
1/21/2015 1:08am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2015 1:25am
mjskier wrote:
I don't do crossfit, but I watch it for entertainment. I'm sure it can be done properly, but seems to me a lot of locations encourage...
I don't do crossfit, but I watch it for entertainment.
I'm sure it can be done properly, but seems to me a lot of locations encourage people to go way too heavy with crappy form. Good way to get hurt.

How do you think cavemen did it?

A story, a young boy was asked to carry a baby lamb up to the village... he did this for years. After a few years the lamb became huge and so did the boy.

The moral of the story? Lift big infrequently and you will get big. Big translates into strength for moto imo
Berni
1/21/2015 1:21am
I have been doing it for 7 months. After the first month you could See my improvement in the bike. And before doing crossfit i was not out of shape. I have never injured myself in crossfit, I Just not try to lift big weights and focus On technique, and not being the one with the best scores in the blackboard. The days that it is mostly lifting huge weights I do not even go....
Vet57
1/21/2015 2:29am
Haven't done Crossfit but have done P90X Original. It's tough but found it is a great balance of strength/cardio and combined with bicycling is a great enhancement for mx or anything for that matter and I'm in mid fifties.
Francis377
1/21/2015 5:04am
CF can be good for you, but I dont think it is the best form of training for someone in your situation. I have also had a back injury and I had great results doing circuits of bodyweight based exercises. Isometric exercises /Functional movements that strenghten your back and the joints + a strong core = More enjoyable life on and off the track.

Circuit training is a good way to use the time you put into your workout efficiently and it is easy to do for anyone who has a smartphone. enter skimble on your iphone , it is free and has a lot of different workouts to get you started immediately.

staycasted
1/21/2015 5:10am
MXD wrote:
Give it a try.. I went for about 6 months it didn't help my moto endurance .. Cardio was a bit better but from the heavy weights and pull ups I started getting arm pump which I normally never get. Everyone mentioned people getting hurt from poor form and I have seen multiple people tear arm muscles and shoulders. My shoulder started popping out. Switched to a workout with concept 2 rowers, trx, kettle bells, and box jumps and this has helped moto endurance greatly and just better shape in general. I'm 32 years old.
1/21/2015 5:16am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2015 5:19am
MXD wrote:
MXD,

Ive worked as a trainer at a Crossfit gym for the last 4 years so I can give you some insight. Ive also raced Mountain bikes at an expert level locally and race Vet Jr:

- Watch your back. Crossfit is high impact, but a good gym/trainer should be able to work with you and make the appropriate modifications to work around your back. Id say high rep Deadlift workouts are a no go for you.

- Take a look at your local gyms and visit each one. Every gym will have a different member base/feel and its important to find one that fits you

- Intro classes. I highly suggest going to a gym that has some sort of an on ramp class that teaches you the fundamentals, or at least re-inforces them, before you get into classes with everyone. We go it over 4-6 sessions at our gym one on one with a trainer.

- Programming is important. So many gyms have sporadic programming that leads overuse and repetitiive strain injuries. Finding a gym that incorperates a Strength workout and shorter conditioning workout afterwards would work well for you.

- Class sizes: 1 coach to a maximum of 8-10 people. Going into a group as a beginner with 15 people and 1 coach is going to be a gongshow.

Once you find a gym and join:

- Slow and steady: Learn the fundamentals. Dont rush things. Scale the workouts so that your using correct technique even if it means your using an empty barbell.

- Prioritize strength: If you road and mountain bike already, Id say 2-3 days TOPS of Crossfit. In season maybe 1-2 days depending on how much your riding. Recovery and a proper hormonal balance as you get older is key. Overreaching and overtraining are very real in my opinion given the intensity of both MX and Crossfit

- Stretch/Recover hard then you workout: Mobility is key as you get older as is recovery. Take the time before and after workouts to focus on it.

-Dont commit to a full year off the get go. Go for 3 months and see if its for you.

For perspective, heres what I currently do as a 31 year old Vet racer:

- 4-5 Days on my roadbike/trainer (winter in Canada). 2 Longer Steady state workouts after workout days. 1 Tempo ride, 1 Long Hard ride (race simulation). Nothing more then 90mins.

- 1 Strength day. Full body, 3 sets of 8-10.

- 2 days of olympic lifting. One Snatch/One Clean and Jerk focused. Low rep (1-5 range), Complexes on the minute for 20-25 mintutes. Rest 10 mins. 20 minute Crossfit workout thats on the lighter end of things with a rower/airdyne. I keep my Heart rate close to what I race at.

- 2 days rest. 1 completely off. 1 active recover (30 min z1 ride and mobility).

Hope that helps.

Post a reply to: CrossFit

The Latest