Cross training on snowmobiles?

Meister
3/1/2018 5:50pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2018 7:35pm
Anyone do it? What do you ride? Where n what type of riding?
|
agn5009
3/1/2018 6:45pm
Why would you cross train on a snowmobile?
zehn
3/1/2018 6:49pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 6:50pm
Snow machine. It's called a snow machine.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
3/1/2018 6:58pm
agn5009 wrote:
Depending on where a person lives winter means no MX riding due to snow so might as well jump on a sled and make the best of winter.

Go ride a snocross track for 20+ minutes and you'll see how exhausting it is. Great cross training in my opinion especially if you don't have access to a bike during the winter months.

The Shop

ron727
Fantasy
2289th
3/1/2018 7:20pm
I don't always ride dirtbikes but when I do, it's to cross train for snowmobiling. Haha just kidding....kinda.

I used to be a moto-only guy but then I tried snowmobiling in the backcountry, and there's nothing like it. I love riding in steep, treed areas because it requires very quick decision making, much like moto but generally with less painful consquences if you screw up. And if you get stuck, it's a great workout. Win - Win!

Then also play riding like this.....super fun stuff that requires a lot of techique and just improves your motor skills in general.

sandman768
3/1/2018 7:33pm
Just started getting into riding sleds a few years ago...Its way more of a workout than I ever thought it was! We ride with handlebar risers on & stand up most of the time just like moto...when the trails get rough & whooped out, it's every bit of physical as riding a bike...I don't really like the cold, but when the conditions are right, riding sleds is pretty good time.
cameron96
3/1/2018 7:46pm
ron727 wrote:
I don't always ride dirtbikes but when I do, it's to cross train for snowmobiling. Haha just kidding....kinda. I used to be a moto-only guy but...
I don't always ride dirtbikes but when I do, it's to cross train for snowmobiling. Haha just kidding....kinda.

I used to be a moto-only guy but then I tried snowmobiling in the backcountry, and there's nothing like it. I love riding in steep, treed areas because it requires very quick decision making, much like moto but generally with less painful consquences if you screw up. And if you get stuck, it's a great workout. Win - Win!

Then also play riding like this.....super fun stuff that requires a lot of techique and just improves your motor skills in general.

Backcountry riding is the best outdoor sport there is to me! Just got a snow bike too. Super fun!

As for cross training you’d have to ride a 600 race sled and bang laps. Our strength will increase cause there heavy af.
agn5009
3/1/2018 7:47pm
agn5009 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Depending on where a person lives winter means no MX riding due to snow so might as well jump on a sled and make the best...
Depending on where a person lives winter means no MX riding due to snow so might as well jump on a sled and make the best of winter.

Go ride a snocross track for 20+ minutes and you'll see how exhausting it is. Great cross training in my opinion especially if you don't have access to a bike during the winter months.
I understand that. It's a great way to get out and stay active in the winter. I live in North Central PA so I have a sled and ride when the weather permits. But I don't think I would consider it cross training to help you out in mx other than staying in shape. I guess maybe I just put too much thought into the words cross training.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
3/1/2018 8:07pm
agn5009 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Depending on where a person lives winter means no MX riding due to snow so might as well jump on a sled and make the best...

agn5009 wrote:
I understand that. It's a great way to get out and stay active in the winter. I live in North Central PA so I have a...
I understand that. It's a great way to get out and stay active in the winter. I live in North Central PA so I have a sled and ride when the weather permits. But I don't think I would consider it cross training to help you out in mx other than staying in shape. I guess maybe I just put too much thought into the words cross training.
I disagree. The gym keeps you in shape, riding sleds keeps you in riding shape. Two different things in my opinion. Depending on the type of riding you do sledding/snocross uses the same muscles as riding bikes. Some of them you just can't train in the gym.

Keeping those muscles active really helps when you can finally get back on the bike after the snow goes away. If you don't ride at all during the winter months when you do get back on the bike those first couple of weeks you definitely feel sore all over after a long day of riding. Riding all winter really helps in that department.
Meister
3/1/2018 8:15pm
Solid input. When I was a kid we always had one around to ride when we got snow. I'm in Ohio, so it's not like a great area to ride, but sometimes we get plenty to play in. We recently picked up a few sleds in great condition for cheap. Yamaha mountain maxs' and a 600 all early 2000s.. Well, we took a family trip to the UP over the past 5 days. We're all hooked again. My 2.5 year old rode 85 miles with me on Tuesday. We got back to the cabin at 4 and she took a nap. Soon as she woke up, she asked to go again. I did get out to do some rippin while she was napping and the Moto in me took over. Some trails we're rough as hell, and I loved it. On the older lower sleds, it was definitely a workout. I plan on having a more "proper" sled for my Moto style/background before next season. Looking for advice on that matter. Not trying to break the bank but want something up my alley. It'll mainly be trail ridden, if I'm lucky I'll get to ride some mountain stuff. I'd ride any snowcross track I could find, but that doesn't seem easy, so I couldn't buy a snowcross only sled. I'm not sure how anyone could say these two disciplines don't cross over. Blair Morgan and Tucker Hibbert seem to like both?
Boxvan446
3/1/2018 9:45pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 9:46pm
Not sure about cross training but I do get similar adrenalin rushes from it. I'm fortunate enough to be able to ride northern WI, UP, CO and WY.....in fact, currently driving home from WY as I type this.
hyler199
3/1/2018 10:32pm
id say snowbike over snowmobile. Id also probably get a Yamaha for the sheeer fact it has potential to make the most power if need be
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
3/1/2018 11:59pm
hyler199 wrote:
id say snowbike over snowmobile. Id also probably get a Yamaha for the sheeer fact it has potential to make the most power if need be
Snowbikes are still fairly new but it's getting more and more popular. At the moment you can find used sleds cheaper than it is to buy a track kit for your bike. Both great options but totally different.
motox11
3/2/2018 2:48am
If you use them as a training tool, it can get very pricey as I'm assuming you know. If you plan on jumping into snocross, well that makes moto look like chump change. It definitely is good cross training though.
Tuna
3/2/2018 3:59am
Running in the winter on studs is way better. You ride a snowbike a lot differently than a regular bike.
Tuna
3/2/2018 4:05am
hyler199 wrote:
I get more of a work out on my sled than a snow bike riding back country.
Meister
3/2/2018 4:41am
I have a buddy selling his timbersled kit, so that's also a possibility to pick up before next year too. I feel like riding any of these things are just that, riding. I feel like it can help mental focus too if your not just putting around.

I'm not gonna buy new, pretty sure I wanna stick with a 2 stroke. I rode a skidoo 900 four stroke this weekend and didn't care for it. Sluggish and heavier.
MR. X
3/2/2018 5:19am
Snowmobiling is a great activity . If you want a work out though ,go into some deep powder with an inch and a quarter track . best workout known to man is digging out a stuck sled !!Laughing
motomike137
3/2/2018 7:01am
Come to the Yoop on any weekend and you can ride through endless whoops!

dmm698
3/2/2018 7:01am
I havent spent time on a snocross track, but I'm sure that its exhausting throwing one around. We trail ride pretty agressively. Like, look for moguls. We hate flat super highway trails. Tug hill is a favorite place of mine on a saturday afternoon with 3 foot moguls everywhere (minus the drunk idiots running around). We have a place up north and ride every sat/sun. Couple weeks ago it was pretty warm and we took a trip to NJMP to ride moto, and i was Dying. Is it better than doing nothing all winter? Yeah, but is it really all that great for cross training? Probably not. I will say that off trail back country riding is definitely a better solution if you have that available to you.
motomike137
3/2/2018 7:04am
Tuna wrote:
Running in the winter on studs is way better. You ride a snowbike a lot differently than a regular bike.
Tuna knows what's up.
Meister
3/2/2018 7:39am
The groomed trails we're nice for the family but when I got the opportunity to ride alone, I was bombin the rough stuff off the sides that people cut in. Could find good lines to double or triple through or skim like rollers. You from the yoop Mike?
YZfan1230
3/2/2018 7:44am
I find snowmobiling is so different from moto with regards of actual riding but it depends on what kind of snowmobiling you're talking about. If you're doing snocross it is probably similar but deep snow and back country riding are so technical and require different inputs on the sled to get it where you want. Some basic skills apply to both, but they both require different skill sets in my opinion.
motomike137
3/2/2018 7:45am Edited Date/Time 3/2/2018 7:49am
Meister wrote:
The groomed trails we're nice for the family but when I got the opportunity to ride alone, I was bombin the rough stuff off the sides...
The groomed trails we're nice for the family but when I got the opportunity to ride alone, I was bombin the rough stuff off the sides that people cut in. Could find good lines to double or triple through or skim like rollers. You from the yoop Mike?
Not from the yoop. Live in the mitten Smile There has been so much traffic on the trails (the lower has been shut out except for a couple of weeks) up there this winter that they do not stay groomed for more than a few hours. I've ridden some endless whoop sections this winter that rival anything I've ever done on my bike. When visibility (not snowing, not overcast flat light) allows yes you can start jumping through some of it or skimming them.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
3/2/2018 7:54am
MR. X wrote:
Snowmobiling is a great activity . If you want a work out though ,go into some deep powder with an inch and a quarter track...
Snowmobiling is a great activity . If you want a work out though ,go into some deep powder with an inch and a quarter track . best workout known to man is digging out a stuck sled !!Laughing
LOL 1-1/4" track + Deep snow = Good luck with that.

Definitively a work out if you dont just say fuck it, I'm done with this POS and hitch a ride back home.

On a serious note, it's best to always have a compact shovel and tow straps if you're going to ride deep powder. Makes it so much easier when you do get stuck.
aspiess328
3/2/2018 9:25am
Similar to what ron727 said, i originally started riding bikes to cross-train for snocross racing. I have since retired from racing and primarily do backcountry riding, but still ride bikes in the summer as often as possible. A lot of similarities between sleds and bikes but at the same time, they’re different in their own ways.

I ride bikes to stay in shape for sleds and i ride sleds to stay in shape for bikes. That’s pretty much what it comes down to!
Tuna
3/2/2018 9:34am
Meister wrote:
I have a buddy selling his timbersled kit, so that's also a possibility to pick up before next year too. I feel like riding any of...
I have a buddy selling his timbersled kit, so that's also a possibility to pick up before next year too. I feel like riding any of these things are just that, riding. I feel like it can help mental focus too if your not just putting around.

I'm not gonna buy new, pretty sure I wanna stick with a 2 stroke. I rode a skidoo 900 four stroke this weekend and didn't care for it. Sluggish and heavier.
Summit 600 Or Polaris RMK 600 are very light and agile. 4 strokes are boat anchors.

Post a reply to: Cross training on snowmobiles?

The Latest