Cross-jumping (Musquin in particular)

Related:
Create New Tag

2/27/2019 9:07 PM

I heard a lot about the cross-jumping topic on Pulp recently, with accusations about Webb etc.
But tonight I fired up a little Dean Wilson helmet cam and I see Musquin pulling some "Death Cross" moves (at the 47-second mark). There is no situation or time in the sport when that type of riding is cool. I'm pissed off just watching it.

|

2/27/2019 9:12 PM

I like Marvin a lot, but he’s always ridden that way imo. Call it defensive racing possibly, but cross jumping is dangerous imo. To me, the tactic is used to keep a faster rider behind you. I really haven’t noticed Cooper doing it that much, but maybe I need to look closer.

|

Honda Rules!

2/27/2019 9:18 PM

I don't blame Deano for running it back on Marvin- I would want to park him after that BS if I were Wilson. But the whole race cam is pretty sick. These guys were really banging bars. Then Wilson gets into it with Osborne- what a slugfest.

|

2/27/2019 9:22 PM

I thought the same thing when I watched that helmet cam yesterday. He goes so abruptly from right to left, imagine what would've happened if he swept Wilson's front wheel out from under him before that double. Supercross is dangerous enough without moves like that being pulled.

|

2/27/2019 9:36 PM

Marv did the same with Roczen at Red Bud but I think it was an accident, accident or not...Roczen was pissed.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

2/27/2019 9:37 PM

Where the hhell you saw cross-jumping?

|

Power is nothing without control

2/27/2019 9:38 PM

Looks to me that Dean also moved right as to not get caught behind Marvin as he moved to the left edge of track which made marvins move look more exaggerated than it was.

I didn’t really see a “cross jump” just two professional racers racing for position.

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

2/27/2019 9:42 PM

I also don't see any cross jumping. This is normal riding that I experience on the regular while out on the course.

|

2/27/2019 9:45 PM

That's not....normal.

Photo

Photo

Photo






|

2/27/2019 9:51 PM

I didn't see anything wrong.

Why Feld doesn't have a deal with GoPro to put cameras all over these guys is beyond me. It's 2019. I should be able to watch a helmet cam of any rider in the 450 main event. I'm not even asking for it live, which is entirely reasonable.

|

2/27/2019 9:53 PM

1. Marvin is clearly in front and you can even see in the first photo he is pointed towards the left side of the track.

2. Marvin is still clearly ahead of dean here and dean is looking towards the right side.

3. Marvin is still clearly in front and now dean has gone to the right side of the track.

Racing for position

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

2/27/2019 9:57 PM

I guess we disagree, because I see a textbook example of cross-jumping, which I would define as "deliberately changing your trajectory across the face of a jump that is also being negotiated by another rider at the same approximate time and place (with a sweeping rear wheel for effect)." You see Tomac? Going straight over the jump like a non-DIckhead?

|

2/27/2019 10:09 PM

It's so obvious that some here doesn't race or hasn't raced in the last decade.

That is 100% normal. Going from one side to the other because you want a better line to the next obstacle or corner. It might look sketchy but every single rider out there does it.

|

2/27/2019 10:15 PM

I have been very critical of Marvin in the past for his cross jumping. What I just watched was not cross jumping. It was following the fast lines of the track. Every rider in the video took the same lines as a matter of fact Tomac and Reed were way worse.

|

2/27/2019 10:59 PM

Reed does the same thing a couple of times but OK

|

2/27/2019 11:18 PM

Marvin is literally sweeping from right to left (across the length of the entire flat section) based on the angle he exited the turn and the way his bike was immediately facing, plus normal racing lines. Wilson did the opposite - left to right.

Plain and simple. Definitely no cross jumping.

|

2/27/2019 11:26 PM

Reed looking smooth through the whoops.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

2/28/2019 12:49 AM

where was the cross jumping part ? sure not around the 40 to 50 seconds mark !!

|

2/28/2019 12:53 AM

No cross jumping here, sorry. The worse is this video is to see Deano getting passed by Chad Reed. It should not happen.

|

2/28/2019 12:57 AM

I've expressed some displeasure with Marv cross jumping in the past but this isn't cross jumping in my opinion.

|

2/28/2019 1:05 AM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

That's not....normal.

Photo

Photo

Photo






I dont like the frenchie too Much, but you can see pretty clearly that wilson also have moved more at the right side, making it look worse then it is

|

2/28/2019 1:29 AM

The only thing that stands out to me about this video is that it makes me miss the Stew GoPro videos..

|

2/28/2019 1:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/28/2019 1:31 AM

I think the video moving angle increases a lot the overall impression ; Musquin is moving 2 meters left, ... but I replied to your comment because Tomac also moved about 1.5 meter to the right at the same time.

I agree that it looks more "ok" for Tomac because he is going to what we may think is the main line, but still. There are also multiple times in the video where the riders don't jump straight too, it is not the first time I mention it (once a rider was accusing others to cross jump, whereas his own go pro was full of that...). That is why I disagree with your comment or analysis.

I think it is just modern racing, with lots of scrubing. What I am amazed of in most gopro videos is the awereness of the riders, because it takes a lot of spatial intelligence to know exactly where the other riders are, as you see little to no air collisions during a season.

What I do agree with you however is that I would not personally feel super confortable racing against them (well anyway I would be too slow), because they are really experienced at racing SX with lots of guys around and have much more spatial awareness than myself and most human-beings.

|

2/28/2019 1:31 AM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

That's not....normal.

Photo

Photo

Photo






Hrzk75 wrote:

I dont like the frenchie too Much, but you can see pretty clearly that wilson also have moved more at the right side, making it look worse then it is

Marv is cool, as stated before i think OP has been off the bike for while.

|

2/28/2019 2:11 AM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

I heard a lot about the cross-jumping topic on Pulp recently, with accusations about Webb etc.
But tonight I fired up a little Dean Wilson helmet cam and I see Musquin pulling some "Death Cross" moves (at the 47-second mark). There is no situation or time in the sport when that type of riding is cool. I'm pissed off just watching it.

Boo Hoo

|

2/28/2019 3:30 AM

No Cross jumping by Marv here.. Wilson Cross jumped but I’m assuming he was conscious of no one being there.

|

2/28/2019 5:13 AM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

That's not....normal.

Photo

Photo

Photo






Who is the one crossjumping exactly? Deano is crossjumping way worse to the right than marv is to the left. If there was a gopro of the rider behind deano you would call deano out for crossjumping?

|

2/28/2019 5:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/28/2019 6:10 AM

I think each rider would anticipate these moves. We saw Webb/Barcia make the same move.

I'm not a fan of cross jumping but it's more when the guy does it and he knows it's gonna fuck you up and/or you don't have an opportunity to move out the way...

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


2/28/2019 5:44 AM

Just for the record, what Dean did at 2:08.....ummm, my bike wont do that.

|

2/28/2019 5:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/28/2019 6:38 AM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

I heard a lot about the cross-jumping topic on Pulp recently, with accusations about Webb etc.
But tonight I fired up a little Dean Wilson helmet cam and I see Musquin pulling some "Death Cross" moves (at the 47-second mark). There is no situation or time in the sport when that type of riding is cool. I'm pissed off just watching it.

Watch Dean’s line. And remember he’s carrying the camera.

|