Crf450 out - kx450 mc450 in.

Meister
Through a long debacle of putting money down and waiting on the Honda since early August, my dealer (a large ohio dealer) showed me that honda updated their first one to 3/31. I'm hoping to ride Daytona if it happens, so the Honda won't work.

I can get a 21 kx today if I wanted, but I've never owned green in 26 years of moto. What's a good otd price to shoot for? Same with the gasgas. This will be ridden in Vet A/B (jump like A, just dont GO as fast as A anymore lol). Things I would NEED to do?

Help me decide between the two, and give your input as to why! I'm 6', relatively fat but dropping again if that helps.
|
bh
12/16/2020 6:05am
I’m also 6ft tall and the kawi is super comfortable IMO feels like it was made for taller people. 135 hours on mine so far.
12/16/2020 6:14am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2020 7:14am
I came from a ‘17 Honda 450 to a ‘19 Kawasaki. No reliability issues with either bike. I’m 6’3”, and the comfort and adjustability of the Kawi chassis make it a winner for me. Dropping the footpeg mounts to the lower position was a game changer for me. Anything I can do to stretch and lower the rider triangle is a win in my book. Look at literally any shootout this year for your answer.
Adam43
12/16/2020 8:42am
You wouldn't really need to do anything. If you did get the Honda you'd certainly want to.

The Shop

Nate_Z
12/16/2020 10:18am
I had a 19 KX450 and just picked up the 21 KX450X. Awesome bike, I'm 6', 210 lbs and bike fits me perfect. Very easy & fun to ride and it was my first kawasaki since 2001 when I had a KX250. Totally happy with it! I think the stock handlebar clamps are cheap and bars twist easy, but other than that and possibly fork springs if you're a similar weight to me, nothing you need to do.

For pricing, I've found the range to be anywhere from 9200-10,200 OTD with tax. Go for it!
hubbardmx50
12/16/2020 10:29am
Meister, that sucks so bad dude! I'm sure you'll love the Kawi. No other dealers in Ohio have the 21 Honda?
kiwifan
12/16/2020 10:29am
Meister wrote:
Through a long debacle of putting money down and waiting on the Honda since early August, my dealer (a large ohio dealer) showed me that honda...
Through a long debacle of putting money down and waiting on the Honda since early August, my dealer (a large ohio dealer) showed me that honda updated their first one to 3/31. I'm hoping to ride Daytona if it happens, so the Honda won't work.

I can get a 21 kx today if I wanted, but I've never owned green in 26 years of moto. What's a good otd price to shoot for? Same with the gasgas. This will be ridden in Vet A/B (jump like A, just dont GO as fast as A anymore lol). Things I would NEED to do?

Help me decide between the two, and give your input as to why! I'm 6', relatively fat but dropping again if that helps.
I am curious, which dealer did you use as it seems your dealer is fucking you around. I assume you mean the WE and by the looks of facebook posts etc on them quite a few have been sold or are for sale now.

Personally since you cant seem to look for one outside of your dealer then I would go for the KX, although all the 450's are damn good so none of them (even the Zook) are a bad bike at all.
SCAM124
Fantasy
2161st
12/16/2020 11:05am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2020 11:05am
C&C Sports in Brighton, MI just got a 21' CRF450R in the showroom. I was quoted $11,100 OTD.
Thanked him for his time. I was also desiring the new CRF but but there is no freakin way I'm paying that much.
Guess I'm riding green this season again.

I'm concerned about all the bikes going for inflated pricing. Rockets and feathers analogy. If we pay it, they will never drop the pricing back down to "normal". This will be the new normal.
12/16/2020 11:18am
Nate_Z wrote:
I had a 19 KX450 and just picked up the 21 KX450X. Awesome bike, I'm 6', 210 lbs and bike fits me perfect. Very easy &...
I had a 19 KX450 and just picked up the 21 KX450X. Awesome bike, I'm 6', 210 lbs and bike fits me perfect. Very easy & fun to ride and it was my first kawasaki since 2001 when I had a KX250. Totally happy with it! I think the stock handlebar clamps are cheap and bars twist easy, but other than that and possibly fork springs if you're a similar weight to me, nothing you need to do.

For pricing, I've found the range to be anywhere from 9200-10,200 OTD with tax. Go for it!
I put the Ride Engineering handlebar clamps on mine to prevent the twisting and that solved the problem for me. The one piece top handlebar clamp solves the twisting issue without giving up the cushier feel of the rubber mounted bars.
kiwifan
12/16/2020 11:19am
SCAM124 wrote:
C&C Sports in Brighton, MI just got a 21' CRF450R in the showroom. I was quoted $11,100 OTD. Thanked him for his time. I was also...
C&C Sports in Brighton, MI just got a 21' CRF450R in the showroom. I was quoted $11,100 OTD.
Thanked him for his time. I was also desiring the new CRF but but there is no freakin way I'm paying that much.
Guess I'm riding green this season again.

I'm concerned about all the bikes going for inflated pricing. Rockets and feathers analogy. If we pay it, they will never drop the pricing back down to "normal". This will be the new normal.
I disagree, I doubt this is the new norm, some dealers (shame on them) are inflating prices because of the rarity of the bikes.

I also think no matter what brand this would happen to any of them, it isnt just a Honda issue. Although I bet Honda are not happy with some of the margins dealers are adding in.
jpatz319
Fantasy
1145th
12/16/2020 11:28am
I would look at Sport Cycles in Rockingham NC. I got my '20 for $7800 OTD. The website shows they have both a '21 CRF450 and '21 CRF450WE.
yz763
12/16/2020 11:32am
I had a '19 Kawi 450 and I thought the bike was awesome. The only thing I ever had a really hard time with was the bike looked like a hammered piece of shit after about a half hour and the motor ticks a ton.
Meister
12/16/2020 11:34am
Thanks for the input guys.. Waiting to hear back from the dealer in regards to team green info..

I've passed on a few 21crfs due to being 1500 more than the deal I had locked in. Couldn't justify it. I can get the kx $400 less than the deal I was going get on the Honda (under 10k otd).

Kiwi, I'm pretty confident in my dealer. My sales guy and I are on text level. He's showed me the changes hondas made in the system. I could potentially grab a WE, but again, can't justify it. Yes, it's cool, but I like doing my own stuff.

I've had honda 450s, suzuki, ktm, and yamaha. That leaves 3, and the jap ergos seem to make me most comfortable. I have a mental issue with air forks, but everyone says how different they are now on austrian bikes. If I buy a GG, there is the slight potential I'll feel compelled to buy CV's lol.. I'd like to only do simple things to whatever I buy. My bar bend, springs, maybe gear up a tooth because I like a stout low end (fat), and maybe a pipe to get rid of a cannon hanging off the side.
JohnnyD13
12/16/2020 11:46am
Meister wrote:
Thanks for the input guys.. Waiting to hear back from the dealer in regards to team green info.. I've passed on a few 21crfs due to...
Thanks for the input guys.. Waiting to hear back from the dealer in regards to team green info..

I've passed on a few 21crfs due to being 1500 more than the deal I had locked in. Couldn't justify it. I can get the kx $400 less than the deal I was going get on the Honda (under 10k otd).

Kiwi, I'm pretty confident in my dealer. My sales guy and I are on text level. He's showed me the changes hondas made in the system. I could potentially grab a WE, but again, can't justify it. Yes, it's cool, but I like doing my own stuff.

I've had honda 450s, suzuki, ktm, and yamaha. That leaves 3, and the jap ergos seem to make me most comfortable. I have a mental issue with air forks, but everyone says how different they are now on austrian bikes. If I buy a GG, there is the slight potential I'll feel compelled to buy CV's lol.. I'd like to only do simple things to whatever I buy. My bar bend, springs, maybe gear up a tooth because I like a stout low end (fat), and maybe a pipe to get rid of a cannon hanging off the side.
The kx is amazing on everything but looks. The gas gas looks amazing but I still would go with green
Meister
12/16/2020 11:54am
I think once they put ALL green plastic on them they look pretty damn good..
Nate_Z
12/16/2020 12:28pm
Go green, you'll be happy with it!
Tpog496
12/16/2020 12:36pm
8800 plus tax and only tax is what I was quoted on the Gas Gas.
Mr. Afterbar
12/16/2020 12:44pm
Got my 21 KX 450 for 9000 out the door at the end of July. I do not think you will regret going with the Kawasaki. It’s an excellent bike. Like others have mentioned, fork springs and some bar mounts is all you really need. The rear brake is touchy. A lot of people went back to the 2018 rotor and caliper mount. I ended up just riding mine and don’t even notice anymore.
yz133rider
12/16/2020 12:47pm
The suspension settings sound really good on the gasgas, and it sounds like a great value for the money.
Grovesy98
12/16/2020 12:58pm
I have a 20 KX450 and absolutely love it. I'm 6ft 4 and it's feels perfect, other bikes feel too cramped. Forks are quite soft stock, and the engine ticks loudly, but everything else is awesome Cool
Moto520
12/16/2020 1:14pm
6'3" and i love my 2019 Kawi. Around 100 hours on the bike with no major issues. Great handling bike.....fork is really good.
mx317
12/16/2020 1:27pm
It's hard to go wrong with any of the new bikes. Cycle News shootout had the Kawasaki winning, but only by 1 point over second and 2 points over a tie for 3rd. If it makes you feel better the Honda was last. Maybe the Team Green thing will work out. I was on that program for several years with Barber Cycles and then they sold out to a giant shop that I won't even go in.
kiwifan
12/16/2020 3:58pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2020 12:08am
Meister wrote:
Thanks for the input guys.. Waiting to hear back from the dealer in regards to team green info.. I've passed on a few 21crfs due to...

Good to see that you are willing to spend quite a bit of money on whatever bike you get, probably explains the reason why you want the best deal you can get.

Mind you you said in the https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/2021-Honda-CRF450-Works-… thread that you had ordered a WE ....you must of got confused
Meister
12/16/2020 6:18pm
Meister wrote:

kiwifan wrote:
Good to see that you are willing to spend quite a bit of money on whatever bike you get, probably explains the reason why you want...
Good to see that you are willing to spend quite a bit of money on whatever bike you get, probably explains the reason why you want the best deal you can get.

Mind you you said in the https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/2021-Honda-CRF450-Works-… thread that you had ordered a WE ....you must of got confused
Alot of the guys on that thread were on the original 21 thread as well and I had talked with a few. I was saying that there was still no sign of my R that they knew I had on order..

I don't WANT to have to put alot of extra cash on my brand new bike, but if I go the gasgas route I may be enticed to find some CV's.. personal preference items don't cost alot of money.
mx317
12/16/2020 6:35pm
Meister wrote:

kiwifan wrote:
Good to see that you are willing to spend quite a bit of money on whatever bike you get, probably explains the reason why you want...

Meister wrote:
Alot of the guys on that thread were on the original 21 thread as well and I had talked with a few. I was saying that...
Alot of the guys on that thread were on the original 21 thread as well and I had talked with a few. I was saying that there was still no sign of my R that they knew I had on order..

I don't WANT to have to put alot of extra cash on my brand new bike, but if I go the gasgas route I may be enticed to find some CV's.. personal preference items don't cost alot of money.
I’ve had Cone Valves but would go the KYB insert route if I had it to do over.
KPS_46
12/17/2020 4:57am
Good decision, The Honda looks like a train wreck on multiple fronts.
Meister
12/17/2020 5:03am
kiwifan wrote:

Meister wrote:
Alot of the guys on that thread were on the original 21 thread as well and I had talked with a few. I was saying that...

mx317 wrote:
I’ve had Cone Valves but would go the KYB insert route if I had it to do over.
Good to know. Kinda forgot about the conversion.
mx317
12/17/2020 5:19am
Meister wrote:
Good to know. Kinda forgot about the conversion.
The plus on having Cones is that you have something you can sell when you trade your bike with the stock forks back on it. Unless you remove the KYB inserts which requires removing the lug, it goes with the bike.
Meister
12/22/2020 11:32am
Crf back in. The shiniest one. Now you can say I said it kiwi. Lol. I had my sight set on green, but this new deal kinda fell into my lap..
hubbardmx50
12/22/2020 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 12/22/2020 12:36pm
Meister wrote:
Crf back in. The shiniest one. Now you can say I said it kiwi. Lol. I had my sight set on green, but this new deal...
Crf back in. The shiniest one. Now you can say I said it kiwi. Lol. I had my sight set on green, but this new deal kinda fell into my lap..
WE!?!? Hope you get it man! I bet you’re dying to moto

Post a reply to: Crf450 out - kx450 mc450 in.

The Latest