Crf250 and Hot Cam problems...

Lightning78
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 9:18am
So I installed a Stage 2 Hot Cam on my 07 CRF250 and Im having some problems. When the bike is cold (first time starting for the day) it will start up just fine but as soon as it gets warm or once its been through a moto and cooled down the bike WILL NOT start I always have to bump start it to get it going. Had the valves checked, timing, piston all things point to the cam. It's the decomp system from what im told by hot cams who admitted that they do have problems with the decomp. Anyone else have this problem?????....suggestions??????
|
Mike Bierman
12/22/2007 6:35am
Never had the problem, but know I have heard that many run the intake valves loose. I would think the Cam manufacture would have a handle on this problem.

I can assure you, if it were my bike, the Cam company would be knee deep in my attitude !
Lightning78
12/22/2007 4:46pm
Never had the problem, but know I have heard that many run the intake valves loose. I would think the Cam manufacture would have a handle...
Never had the problem, but know I have heard that many run the intake valves loose. I would think the Cam manufacture would have a handle on this problem.

I can assure you, if it were my bike, the Cam company would be knee deep in my attitude !
THey really don't tho, the guy I spoke with didn't even want to fill out a warranty card! You shoulda heard the advice he gave me, I passed on this advice to my mechanic and he said that would surely ruin the cam! Hot Cams Tech even said they are finalizing a stage 3 cam for big bores and assured me that would alievate the starting problems.....so apparently they are VERY aware of it and don't really want to do much about it. Ill get knee deep in em and extract one of these stage 3's when they come out in 2 months for now its back to the stock cam
mx941
12/31/2007 6:55pm
Never had the problem, but know I have heard that many run the intake valves loose. I would think the Cam manufacture would have a handle...

THey really don't tho, the guy I spoke with didn't even want to fill out a warranty card! You shoulda heard the advice he gave me...
THey really don't tho, the guy I spoke with didn't even want to fill out a warranty card! You shoulda heard the advice he gave me, I passed on this advice to my mechanic and he said that would surely ruin the cam! Hot Cams Tech even said they are finalizing a stage 3 cam for big bores and assured me that would alievate the starting problems.....so apparently they are VERY aware of it and don't really want to do much about it. Ill get knee deep in em and extract one of these stage 3's when they come out in 2 months for now its back to the stock cam
You need to ask for Tim at Hot Cams.
Lightning78
1/10/2008 3:10pm

THey really don't tho, the guy I spoke with didn't even want to fill out a warranty card! You shoulda heard the advice he gave me...
mx941 wrote:
I have asked for him numerous time and he is never avail. Stopped by pro circuit and they said with the high profile of the cam lobes it catches on one of the buckets while the decomp is engaging making it impossible to start! The recommend milling the edges of one of the buckets to aleviate the problem and they have to do it with ALL the cfr250's they install cams on....hot cams knew nothing about this.........whats the deal?

The Shop

Mike Bierman
1/10/2008 3:43pm
mx941 wrote:
I have asked for him numerous time and he is never avail. Stopped by pro circuit and they said with the high profile of the cam...
I have asked for him numerous time and he is never avail. Stopped by pro circuit and they said with the high profile of the cam lobes it catches on one of the buckets while the decomp is engaging making it impossible to start! The recommend milling the edges of one of the buckets to aleviate the problem and they have to do it with ALL the cfr250's they install cams on....hot cams knew nothing about this.........whats the deal?
Not enough testing, is my guess (hot cams)

There's a reason why Pro-circuit is # 1 !!
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
1/13/2008 5:07pm
I have a stage one in my CRF450 no problems. A friend I ride with had a couple of issues but it was more of a stocking error. Did you do the work and all of it, or was it done here, then checked there... Seems weird that if the valves were in spec the bike would start cold and not hot. Are you using the hot start at all? Seems like time for a check the valves again. Tensioner is out and adjusting, valves in spec?

I was very pleased with how the power was delivered when I installed my cam. So far no issues beyond normal wear and tear. I wish I could afford to send my bike to someone to work on it but I would never trust the work, talk about catch 22.
Lightning78
1/14/2008 6:27am
Ran it with the stock cam this weekend and continued to encounter the same problems.......Finally the problem has been identified. After EVERY moto I have to turn off the fuel and crack the throttle a couple of times to burn off some of the gas then shut the bike off. When I start it (hot or cold) I have to use the hot start. Works within 2 or 3 kicks everytime after that. Can anyone shed some light on this? Basically if I stall the bike im screwed (it did happen once so I know).

In response to the mechanic situation he is a good friend of mine that wrenches for quite a few big AM's and I have knoiwn him for years, normally I NEVER trust any mechanic to work on my bikes but this guy is legit and always gives me a good deal. All valves are in spec timing is spot on....
Mike Bierman
1/14/2008 5:00pm
Ran it with the stock cam this weekend and continued to encounter the same problems.......Finally the problem has been identified. After EVERY moto I have to...
Ran it with the stock cam this weekend and continued to encounter the same problems.......Finally the problem has been identified. After EVERY moto I have to turn off the fuel and crack the throttle a couple of times to burn off some of the gas then shut the bike off. When I start it (hot or cold) I have to use the hot start. Works within 2 or 3 kicks everytime after that. Can anyone shed some light on this? Basically if I stall the bike im screwed (it did happen once so I know).

In response to the mechanic situation he is a good friend of mine that wrenches for quite a few big AM's and I have knoiwn him for years, normally I NEVER trust any mechanic to work on my bikes but this guy is legit and always gives me a good deal. All valves are in spec timing is spot on....
Ha !

I had this happen when I ran VP tacing U-4...It ruined my carburator. After I replaced the carb, I ran pump gas, and never had another problem.

I was told you should drain race gas after each ride day.

I have no proof that is the full cause, only speculation

Post a reply to: Crf250 and Hot Cam problems...

The Latest