Credit where it's due

Related:
Create New Tag

1/14/2018 2:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2018 2:54 AM

That was a good track. Nice long lanes, big berms and an option to go inside, leading into obstacles with options, the dirt had the guys getting after it.

Nice one.

Was pretty shit they didn't credit Matthes with the nets tho. He's literally been telling the head of SX his net idea for ages, was laughed at. They do it and we have berms. Sling the guy a shoutout!!!

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/14/2018 3:00 AM

Looked like a tough track physically. Probably why Ken fell off at the end.

|

1/14/2018 3:31 AM

Holtslayer wrote:

In the main, it was good track for Marvin i think.

Kenny will be super strong in this series, hes getting better and not all the tracks are like that was.

|

1/14/2018 3:35 AM

Holtslayer wrote:

andyman wrote:

In the main, it was good track for Marvin i think.

Kenny will be super strong in this series, hes getting better and not all the tracks are like that was.

Yep, I think Kenny will be coming alive in the next few races. I still think it's his title to lose.

|

1/14/2018 3:42 AM

I agree! I thought the track was awesome! Nice Change-Up from the norm. The dirt looked awesome. Made for some good racing.

|

2015 KTM 250sx, WP 48mm CV Forks, WP Trax Shock, Bills Pipe
2013 Chevy 2500 Duramax, 2014 Forest River XLR Nitro 28TQD bumper pull toy hauler

Instagram: @impalenthelen https://www.instagram.com/impalenthelen/
Youtube: Mitchell Thelen

1/14/2018 4:07 AM

Track was fast and line's continued to change. Kind of off topic but everyone raced clean with Roczen, even Bam Bam. The 250 guy's put on one helluva show tonight.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

1/14/2018 4:12 AM

Awesome track ! We need more like that

|

1/14/2018 4:19 AM

Yeah it was good to see them race the track as much as each other. AC's race alone proved there was opportunity to make chunks of time and then lose it if not careful. That's what you want from a race to track. Sucks that Marvin got hurt on it though.

|

1/14/2018 4:23 AM

ledger wrote:

Track was fast and line's continued to change. Kind of off topic but everyone raced clean with Roczen, even Bam Bam. The 250 guy's put on one helluva show tonight.

Hehe I've noticed that too. Some guys race him like he's made of glass

|

KX125

1/14/2018 4:54 AM

One thing I was thinking after watching the LCQ starts... Have they ever put in a widened first turn with a 90° start like that? ie, made the exit of that turn 1.5 lanes wide, same obstacles, just a big ole bend so the guys have more run-off before the tuff blocks?

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/14/2018 5:15 AM

Watching these guys flat land those jumps looks way cool.

|

1/14/2018 5:23 AM

they had those Nets in Arenacross races after somebody (thinking it was jeff gibson) launched a bike in the upper stands about 15 years ago.

|

1/14/2018 5:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2018 5:45 AM

Crush wrote:

That was a good track. Nice long lanes, big berms and an option to go inside, leading into obstacles with options, the dirt had the guys getting after it.

Nice one.

Was pretty shit they didn't credit Matthes with the nets tho. He's literally been telling the head of SX his net idea for ages, was laughed at. They do it and we have berms. Sling the guy a shoutout!!!

yeah, yeah, give them credit. but that doesn't mean everyone gets to shit on them when a track isn't so good.

Daniel Blair and Emig both commented on how easy the track looked when they walked it. Yet the track was fairly technical. My point is this. If a former SX champion can look at a track and be totally wrong about it, it just goes to show you that there is no guide, no standard to what makes a track work good compared to one that doesn't. We all know 180's and good dirt help(completely out of the hands of Dirtwurx) but what else is there? We've seen everything you could think of. Things work sometimes, and sometimes they don't. We've seen the very same obstacles and layouts work great one night and be a shitshow the next.

I just hate it when people bitch about the track like there is some right or wrong way to do it, yet no one has any fuckin clue what that is. I think people just get upset when confronted with the fact that their beloved sport is sometimes boring to watch on tv, which it is. People with big (empty) egos and shallow thoughts attempt to define themselves by their hobbies and interests...and no one wants to define themselves as "boring"...so they have to place blame away from the sport itself.

|

1/14/2018 5:51 AM

I don't know Katoomey, I think we've seen enough races where long straights with big berms produces better racing to call that at least a good part of the equation....

|

Cheers, Crush

1/14/2018 3:41 PM

I had a great view of the track from where I was sat. It was easy to see more of the track compared to the bigger jumps which obscured parts at the NJ and Foxboro rounds I have been to in the last few years. Great racing, especially in the 250s, and from this angle it was very apparentl how unsettled Marvin was in the whoops. He tried to jump them and seemed to continue on the front wheel until he went down. At least that’s what it looks like in my memory.
Photo

|

1/14/2018 4:03 PM

I call'em "Matthes's Hockey Nets".

I'll take anything that keeps riders and spectators safe.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

1/14/2018 4:17 PM

I loved the track! 180 degree bowl turns make for better racing...90’s just become on lined.

|

1/14/2018 4:27 PM

Bruneval wrote:

I had a great view of the track from where I was sat. It was easy to see more of the track compared to the bigger jumps which obscured parts at the NJ and Foxboro rounds I have been to in the last few years. Great racing, especially in the 250s, and from this angle it was very apparentl how unsettled Marvin was in the whoops. He tried to jump them and seemed to continue on the front wheel until he went down. At least that’s what it looks like in my memory.
Photo

I think that might be my head in front of you... I was section 138 EE... the guy jumping and hollering for Jason Anderson. Hope I wasn't too annoying.

|

1/14/2018 5:06 PM

Crush wrote:

I don't know Katoomey, I think we've seen enough races where long straights with big berms produces better racing to call that at least a good part of the equation....

I agree. Looked easy but it wasn't. Plenty of places to pass. Good racing all night long.

|

1/14/2018 5:26 PM

Crush wrote:

Nice one.

Was literally holding my breath just waiting for Daniel Blair to drop a shout out to Matthes during his commentary on the nets.

|

1/14/2018 7:44 PM

They made up some several worded name for them during the broadcast. Can't remember what it was, but the word "net" was not used.

|

1/14/2018 7:56 PM

Heck yes, track was awesome!

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

1/14/2018 8:15 PM

mikec265 wrote:

They made up some several worded name for them during the broadcast. Can't remember what it was, but the word "net" was not used.

DB had a grin when he said it. feel like he wanted to say matthes so bad

|

1/14/2018 8:32 PM

mikec265 wrote:

Berm Restraint System

|

1/14/2018 8:33 PM

The track was badass... It brought back the different rhytm timings and line choices etc... Love it when the track is a challenge as well as the racing.

|

"Life is Too Short To Last Long"

1/14/2018 8:57 PM

Crush wrote:

Nice one.

You forgot to mention the huge huck to flats...that really gave the guys who wanted to win, a chance to make up time. Loved watching them send it too

|

1/14/2018 9:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2018 9:18 PM

Track design was sweet. The sand section, long lanes, 180's, great dirt, no giant view blocking jumps, different types of whoops, jump to flat, and widened 1st corner all made for a great design.

I felt the 180 at the end of lane 2 was a head on risk against lane 4 and should have been better protected. The tuff blocks really don't add to safety in most cases they make it worse as a track liner. They need to get rid of most of those "revenue generators" Trey. If you hit one it's like a pinball. The "leader" lights are a waste of money and are a poor way of designating the leader. Strobes at the finish line would be fine for that purpose once a lap. The ruts in the whoops and jump faces got a little sketchy, and appeared to be the desired line to keep from going over humps, rather ride through them. They should be maintained better to minimize injuries and reduce follow the leader racing.

So there, it wasn't perfect, but a huge step forward.

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

1/15/2018 7:55 AM

Bruneval wrote:

Photo

ktmdan wrote:

I think that might be my head in front of you... I was section 138 EE... the guy jumping and hollering for Jason Anderson. Hope I wasn't too annoying.

As long as you weren’t one of the two rednecks fighting in the crowd I don’t think he minded laughing

|

1/15/2018 8:01 AM

The big jumps to the flats were badass! Esp the one out in front of the mechanics area. They were flying off that thing. I don’t know how many times when I first watched qualifying I said “Holy shit!” Haha. It was one of the best Houston tracks I’ve ever been to. The guys could really push. And the deep 180’s left a lot of room for the guys to dive in deep and stick a block pass. Was so good!

|