Crazy Desert Racing GoPro - 80MPH through Trophy Truck silt ruts

gpracer4224
Finished out the 2021 Best In The Desert series in California City this past weekend with a two-day event including all of the trophy trucks and cars on the same course throughout the weekend. This led to a really tore up race course for day 2 and the conditions were gnarly for us bikes Sunday morning. Even though the GoPro doesn't do it justice, here's a look at what we were racing through on the 30 mile loop!

|
JG463
11/8/2021 2:29pm
Dang that looks tough! What tire combination are you using?
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
11/8/2021 3:01pm
I've raced a few desert races and thought I would get used to the high speed and comfortable with not knowing what was ahead and I just never did, but I respect the guys that can go balls to the wall not knowing whats ahead at warp speed. A different breed for sure, Nice video.

The Shop

gpracer4224
11/8/2021 8:38pm
JG463 wrote:
Dang that looks tough! What tire combination are you using?
for this race we ran a Kenda Parker DT rear with a Washougal II front and it worked pretty good for us
Crash217
11/9/2021 6:20am
Awesome video.

After 30+ years of racing in the woods with some mx for a few years in the mix, I made the 14 hour each way drive earlier this year to do my first desert race (a night race even). I really liked the speeds and how mentally tiring racing in the desert is. The terrain is so foreign for me coming from the midwest woods but I really enjoyed everything aside from the miles long section of truck whoops though HA. I did the 129 mile race in 3:18 for a 40mph average and somehow won.

I am hooked. Going to be doing that entire series in 2022.
gpracer4224
11/9/2021 7:25am
neverwas wrote:
I've raced a few desert races and thought I would get used to the high speed and comfortable with not knowing what was ahead and I...
I've raced a few desert races and thought I would get used to the high speed and comfortable with not knowing what was ahead and I just never did, but I respect the guys that can go balls to the wall not knowing whats ahead at warp speed. A different breed for sure, Nice video.
It's pretty wild but we put a lot of trust in the course marking and hopefully whoever marked it thought about those who are going at those top speeds. It sucks to see when top guys go down and sometimes get hurt because of a poorly marked danger/section
11/9/2021 7:42am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2021 7:43am
Finished out the 2021 Best In The Desert series in California City this past weekend with a two-day event including all of the trophy trucks and...
Finished out the 2021 Best In The Desert series in California City this past weekend with a two-day event including all of the trophy trucks and cars on the same course throughout the weekend. This led to a really tore up race course for day 2 and the conditions were gnarly for us bikes Sunday morning. Even though the GoPro doesn't do it justice, here's a look at what we were racing through on the 30 mile loop!

So I admittedly don’t know anything about desert racing. Do you just follow the markers on the right? Any warning of turns or dangerous obstacles upcoming? fatsest time to complete the course wins I’m
Assuming
Mit12
11/9/2021 8:05am
The off road version of Motogp!
gpracer4224
11/9/2021 1:26pm
Finished out the 2021 Best In The Desert series in California City this past weekend with a two-day event including all of the trophy trucks and...

So I admittedly don’t know anything about desert racing. Do you just follow the markers on the right? Any warning of turns or dangerous obstacles upcoming...
So I admittedly don’t know anything about desert racing. Do you just follow the markers on the right? Any warning of turns or dangerous obstacles upcoming? fatsest time to complete the course wins I’m
Assuming
yep they use arrows and ribbon mainly and then "danger ahead" markers if something serious is coming up.
LungButter
11/9/2021 1:28pm
yep they use arrows and ribbon mainly and then "danger ahead" markers if something serious is coming up.
Does BITD use the Caselli Foundation marking system?

In my opinion it does make racing safer since you always have a consistent count down to Danger, Corners etc.
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
11/9/2021 1:42pm
Mit12 wrote:
The off road version of Motogp!
No.
whyZ
11/9/2021 2:12pm
Looks like you were casting a pretty good shadow. Was it morning or afternoon when you ran. I would assume that the sun to your back would be preferred, how much of a difference is there between the two for spotting out lines, ruts / lips?
gpracer4224
11/9/2021 6:26pm
LungButter wrote:
Does BITD use the Caselli Foundation marking system? In my opinion it does make racing safer since you always have a consistent count down to Danger...
Does BITD use the Caselli Foundation marking system?

In my opinion it does make racing safer since you always have a consistent count down to Danger, Corners etc.
They don't use the Caselli system per se, but the BITD one is just as good if not better IMO. They use turn ahead arrows at 500ft before, 250ft before, and on the turn. They also have pretty big and noticeable Danger Ahead signs that are very easy to see and look way different than just normal directional arrows.
gpracer4224
11/9/2021 6:27pm
whyZ wrote:
Looks like you were casting a pretty good shadow. Was it morning or afternoon when you ran. I would assume that the sun to your back...
Looks like you were casting a pretty good shadow. Was it morning or afternoon when you ran. I would assume that the sun to your back would be preferred, how much of a difference is there between the two for spotting out lines, ruts / lips?
We were racing earlier in the morning about 2 - 2 1/2 hours after sunrise. For BITD, bikes usually go off around 5:45AM just as the sun is coming up which is pretty difficult if going into the sun so it was a nice change to have good lighting this time around
mwssquad827
11/10/2021 8:48am
Dude at minute 1035 he gets in a silt rut and his front tire is dancing ALL of the fucking place😂😂😂, and he just keeps it tapped…. And some of the square edged shit right off the start that he was WFO through.. I was thinking fuck that!! Props to those dudes gnarly for sure
Gravel
11/13/2021 4:16pm
The double rut truck roads are tough. Good stuff on your video, you were hauling! That course is crazy fast..

Post a reply to: Crazy Desert Racing GoPro - 80MPH through Trophy Truck silt ruts

The Latest