Crash prone?

mx617
Anyone else suck at riding? I've got 300 hours or so on my hour meters between two bikes. Torn acl x2, mcl, chipped femur, broken back, dislocated shoulder, torn labrum in my hip, torn nerves in my neck, a bunch of concussions, 7 surgeries and sitting in the ER with broken ribs and buggered up my hip again.

Not meaning to whine but am feeling a bit sorry for myself lol. Just want to ride and have a good time but this is getting old. Pretty sure I've spent more time in the hospital than on the bike.

Anyone else out there this shitty at dirt biking hahaha? I'm not even sure I have a real question just killing time waiting for the doctor and contemplating spending another summer recovering.
|
HusqFan3
6/27/2018 9:36pm
I definitely suck but thankfully i know it so don’t try s#%^ that’s going to result in injury..
mx617
6/27/2018 9:44pm
Lol that's the thing, half the time I'm just cruising or wanting up or practice
swtwtwtw
6/27/2018 10:07pm
mx617 wrote:
Anyone else suck at riding? I've got 300 hours or so on my hour meters between two bikes. Torn acl x2, mcl, chipped femur, broken back...
Anyone else suck at riding? I've got 300 hours or so on my hour meters between two bikes. Torn acl x2, mcl, chipped femur, broken back, dislocated shoulder, torn labrum in my hip, torn nerves in my neck, a bunch of concussions, 7 surgeries and sitting in the ER with broken ribs and buggered up my hip again.

Not meaning to whine but am feeling a bit sorry for myself lol. Just want to ride and have a good time but this is getting old. Pretty sure I've spent more time in the hospital than on the bike.

Anyone else out there this shitty at dirt biking hahaha? I'm not even sure I have a real question just killing time waiting for the doctor and contemplating spending another summer recovering.
Me Lol, 60+ fractures/breaks only 4 surgeries though. Enough concussions to forget that I suck at riding each time I swing a leg over my bike.
mx617
6/27/2018 10:26pm
Lol that's quite a list of breaks man! Holy shit

The Shop

FWYT
6/27/2018 10:57pm
Holy crap, man, throttle back or something. That's WAY too much stuff.
mx617
6/28/2018 12:29am
So as it turns out the ribs are fine(ish) but my fucking hip is broke and I'm going for surgery in the morning. Sumuvabitch
DoubleA
6/28/2018 1:22am
I have raced from 5yr to -14/15 stopped just got back into it at 19, not once have I broke a born or torn anything.
moscrop940
6/28/2018 6:28am
mx617 wrote:
Anyone else suck at riding? I've got 300 hours or so on my hour meters between two bikes. Torn acl x2, mcl, chipped femur, broken back...

Just curious, in the event that a big crash is inevitable, do you stay with the bike or do you ditch it?

I only ask because growing up my brother had a laundry list of injuries such as yours, and the kid would NEVER let go of the handlebars.

Whereas I would always ditch and my list of injuries was 1/8th of the size.

BobPA
6/28/2018 6:33am
Slow down bro. Buy a 125 so you sound fast. Chicks do not know the difference
mx617
6/28/2018 6:44am
mx617 wrote:

moscrop940 wrote:
Just curious, in the event that a big crash is inevitable, do you stay with the bike or do you ditch it? I only ask because...
Just curious, in the event that a big crash is inevitable, do you stay with the bike or do you ditch it?

I only ask because growing up my brother had a laundry list of injuries such as yours, and the kid would NEVER let go of the handlebars.

Whereas I would always ditch and my list of injuries was 1/8th of the size.

To be honest, I'm usually on the ground before I have a chance to think about it.
mikec265
6/28/2018 6:47am
HusqFan3 wrote:
I definitely suck but thankfully i know it so don’t try s#%^ that’s going to result in injury..
Same. Been at it 21 years since I was 12. Built skills slowly and no major injuries. I kinda feel like luck has helped too. I 've had a few hair line fractures and plenty of sprains, a few hits hard enough to swell and limit movement, only one concussion that made me walk at an angle.
stone881
6/28/2018 8:14am
mx617 wrote:
So as it turns out the ribs are fine(ish) but my fucking hip is broke and I'm going for surgery in the morning. Sumuvabitch
Hey man, stay positive and heal up quick! I just broke the femoral neck (hip) about 2 weeks ago because of a high speed mtb crash and have 4 screws in there now. The pain isn't all that bad but the time on crutches sucks!

I have a laundry list of injuries from all sorts of different sports and every time it happens I question for a couple of days if I want to keep doing it. In the end I am a rider and I wouldn't know what to do without moto/mtb/skiing/kiteboarding etc.

In my last crash I wasn't wearing well padded shorts and wish that I had been. I was however wearing a CE2 rated flak jacket and glad that I was!

Always dress for the crash, especially as you get older!
byke
6/28/2018 8:29am
I wouldn't ride with a list like that. You're already going to be in constant pain from your fifties on through the rest of your life.
6/28/2018 8:32am
13 years of racing, 0 broken bones (knocks on wood). Sometimes I wonder how people do it.
HusqFan3
6/28/2018 8:48am
HusqFan3 wrote:
mikec265 wrote:
Same. Been at it 21 years since I was 12. Built skills slowly and no major injuries. I kinda feel like luck has helped too. I...
Same. Been at it 21 years since I was 12. Built skills slowly and no major injuries. I kinda feel like luck has helped too. I 've had a few hair line fractures and plenty of sprains, a few hits hard enough to swell and limit movement, only one concussion that made me walk at an angle.
I just got back into riding a few months ago so your post gives me hope that serious injury isn’t inevitable. My wife more or less made a deal with me that she’d support me wanting to get back into riding as long as i don’t seriously injure myself. So i know the first major injury she’ll have a for sale sign on my bike before i even get out of the hospital. I’ve been out a dozen times or so and thankfully haven’t had any close calls. That said, I’m obviously not hitting doubles or going wide open into turns. Last practice i was at somehow got hauled away in an ambulance and i told myself right then i don’t mind being the slowest guy out there as long as I’m still having fun and at the end of the day, get to drive myself home in one piece.

All that said i understand that it’s natural as skills inevitably progress to want to try more challenging elements out on the track. Thanks to you i now know it’s at least possible to keep getting better without injury being imminent.
Vince30
6/28/2018 9:35am
I used to crash a lot, but never get badly hurt, then in 2014 I had 2 big wrecks, broken ribs, collapsed lung, broken shoulder blade in the first, and broken femur on the second, then first ride of 2015 I separated my shoulder. I slowed way the hell down, and just focus on riding loose and flowy rather than pinned everywhere. I'm going slower, but, knock on wood, I haven't hit the ground hard since spring of 2015.

Also, make sure your suspension is set up, and your sag is in spec, might have something to do with why you're hitting the ground so often.
NorCal 50+
6/28/2018 10:03am
After near 40 years of riding the worst I had was a broken hip (now replaced with an artificial one). Non-riding friends just laugh when I tell them I got off easy compared to a lot of riders, but it's true.
nolookpass
6/28/2018 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2018 12:18pm
mx617 wrote:

I mean this in a loving way, and not meant to be insulting, but I have to be real with you for a moment here. You sound like an idiot trying to prove something or trying way to hard to keep up with fast guys with way more experience. Smile

It comes with time and we all have those "off" days where we're tired, hungry, or whatever and things don't flow. My unsolicited advice is to let go of the ego. Maybe take a few lessons from a local pro, and learn proper body position. then, learn to dial it back some.

I've only been riding myself for 4-5 years and I'm fine being the slowest out there sometimes or when all my buddies are sending it, I end up rolling the bigger stuff. But, I go home and can come back and get .05 seconds next week around a corner or jump a bit farther next time I come. Riding like you have a death wish will just set you back, and like someone else said, as you age, that is going to be very, very painful.

Heal up.
mx617
6/28/2018 12:36pm
mx617 wrote:

nolookpass wrote:
I mean this in a loving way, and not meant to be insulting, but I have to be real with you for a moment here. You...
I mean this in a loving way, and not meant to be insulting, but I have to be real with you for a moment here. You sound like an idiot trying to prove something or trying way to hard to keep up with fast guys with way more experience. Smile

It comes with time and we all have those "off" days where we're tired, hungry, or whatever and things don't flow. My unsolicited advice is to let go of the ego. Maybe take a few lessons from a local pro, and learn proper body position. then, learn to dial it back some.

I've only been riding myself for 4-5 years and I'm fine being the slowest out there sometimes or when all my buddies are sending it, I end up rolling the bigger stuff. But, I go home and can come back and get .05 seconds next week around a corner or jump a bit farther next time I come. Riding like you have a death wish will just set you back, and like someone else said, as you age, that is going to be very, very painful.

Heal up.
Haha no worries man. I can think of one crash that would probably apply to, when I did my knee in. But the majority of them have actually been in practice when j was just cruising. Like this last one, there was only one other guy on the track and we were on opposite ends.

@Vince, you might be on to something there. I definitely put on a few pounds since I last looked at sag/spring rates. It was feeling pretty soft, so maybe dropping off the hill I bottomed out. Would make sense.

Well the ortho surgeon came to see me, but he figures hip isn't broken now lol. Got a cat scan done but don't get the results until he's done in surgery, so be a couple hours yet.
dmm698
6/28/2018 12:45pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2018 12:50pm
I've had some larger crashes that i've walked away from. Cart wheeled down a pretty good size hill after clipping the backside of it when I spun up the face of a step up back in the fall. 3 weeks ago today just in a simple roller section i went to triple in but a buddy had built a new face. It was super soft. Stepped through the bars I was told, all I remember. 6 busted ribs, collapsed lung, chest tube, the hole nine yards. Slow speed. Just happened to land on the face of another roller. The worst in my opinion of all of it is the bad AC dislocation in my shoulder, yet the first ortho said nothing was wrong. Second one realized it was separated but after an MRI still is "unsure" of how bad its injured. "Just go ahead and start physical therapy, i'll see ya in 4-5 weeks. I texted the radiologist.... If i hear back and its important I'll let you know, otherwise see ya then!"

Dealing with Dr's sucks. Starting from the minute they dragged out a tracheotomy kit when trying to do a chest tube, down to the day I was discharged when they didnt even fill out any of the paperwork as to when I had any medications. Not been pleasant.
mx617
6/28/2018 12:47pm
Guess they lied, surgeon just came by, hips not broken after all. Just jammed it bad and knocked a bone spur off. Going home as soon as the paperwork is doneCoolLaughing
Torco1
6/28/2018 1:00pm
I didn't crash much at all, but when I did, it always seemed to be the worst case possible. I've broken my back twice, broke my hip and had to have it replaced, broke my left tib,fib and talus twice within 3 months of each other and now have to have it either fused or replaced, broke my right humorous completely in half in the same crash when I broke my ankle for the second time. I've broke both collarbones, my sternum, my left wrist, multiple ribs, tore my spleen and liver and I have had more concussions than I can remember. I've been airlifted from a track before, I've had multiple blood transfusions, been on life support and after all of those things I still rode.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3887th
6/28/2018 1:01pm
I don't think I've ever crashed when I wasn't pushing it beyond my limits, and the only reason I was beyond my limits is because I was tired. Just ride at the best of your ability without trying to impress anyone and you shouldn't be crashing so much.

You might just be sketchy, though.
dimetime
6/28/2018 4:54pm
Jesus Christ guys. Been riding and racing for over forty years and other than both ACLs been pretty lucky.

Well, except for this January when l fucked myself up pretty good. Completely torn tricep left arm, massively torn rotator cuff and shattered pinkie and knuckle right side. Two surgeries and at lot of money drained from savings. Sucks being a self employed carpenter.

Some of these lists of injuries just baffles me how you guys keep going but ride on!
kkawboy14
6/28/2018 4:56pm
dimetime wrote:
Jesus Christ guys. Been riding and racing for over forty years and other than both ACLs been pretty lucky. Well, except for this January when l...
Jesus Christ guys. Been riding and racing for over forty years and other than both ACLs been pretty lucky.

Well, except for this January when l fucked myself up pretty good. Completely torn tricep left arm, massively torn rotator cuff and shattered pinkie and knuckle right side. Two surgeries and at lot of money drained from savings. Sucks being a self employed carpenter.

Some of these lists of injuries just baffles me how you guys keep going but ride on!
Go ahead and delete the “been pretty lucky”.....! Smile
plowboy
6/28/2018 5:06pm
Been riding for over 46 years. Collarbone, wrists, ribs, ACL/MCL, numerous strains and sprains. But you sir are doing it wrong. You are either extremely unlucky or (I've seen this before)...just don't have the skill set to ride dirt bikes. Time to tone it down or step away before you....well, you get what I'm saying. Maybe not what you want to hear but still the truth.

Post a reply to: Crash prone?

The Latest