Crash or Win

bama205
Are there any riders out there who won every title they raced for when they completed the entire series?

RC every title outdoors.
JS outdoors?
Did JMB ?
|
ElliotB16
8/31/2019 5:57am
No that’s why Carmichael is the goat 🐐
Question
8/31/2019 7:24am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2019 7:26am
RC, highly probable

RV when "completing the series" must have impressive stats too, maybe 100%.

Bayle has some great stats too between 1988 and 1992 (he injured himself twice in 1990 and once in 1992), but it was not as dominant, a bit like Dungey (and the line up were for both really tough too).

Cairoli may have this 100% ratio too, 06 he was injured pre season, 08 (knee at a start in south africa), 15, 16 and 19 too. I think the only title he lost "straigh up", when healthy all year, was 2018 against Herlings, a season he rode maybe his best ever and during which he must have scored like 15 2nd place (like 15 gp wins if Herlings had not been there!). That stats is also quite impressive over 9 world titles!

I don't remember exactly with Everts, but with 10 titles not many riders can say they beat him straight up on a mx championship (maybe Albertijn the first 250 title, the second one Everts broke his arm but anyway was 2nd by a few points if i remember well, Tortelli for a couple points and here i am sure he was healthy, then who?).

But in my mind the first ultra dominant rider i saw was Jonhson (because i didn't see Hannah golden years, devastating injury too). In 89 he won all the races at the beginning of the sx series, then never won again after his wrist injury. It was short but it was McGrath level before everybody even knew it was possible to dominate that much.

8/31/2019 7:48am
I'm not a Stewart history expert, but he did have one season where he missed the first couple rounds due to injury, so he was out of the title, but pretty sure he won every race that he entered

The Shop

8/31/2019 7:57am
Question wrote:
RC, highly probable RV when "completing the series" must have impressive stats too, maybe 100%. Bayle has some great stats too between 1988 and 1992 (he...
RC, highly probable

Bayle has some great stats too between 1988 and 1992 (he injured himself twice in 1990 and once in 1992), but it was not as dominant, a bit like Dungey (and the line up were for both really tough too).

Cairoli may have this 100% ratio too, 06 he was injured pre season, 08 (knee at a start in south africa), 15, 16 and 19 too. I think the only title he lost "straigh up", when healthy all year, was 2018 against Herlings, a season he rode maybe his best ever and during which he must have scored like 15 2nd place (like 15 gp wins if Herlings had not been there!). That stats is also quite impressive over 9 world titles!

I don't remember exactly with Everts, but with 10 titles not many riders can say they beat him straight up on a mx championship (maybe Albertijn the first 250 title, the second one Everts broke his arm but anyway was 2nd by a few points if i remember well, Tortelli for a couple points and here i am sure he was healthy, then who?).

But in my mind the first ultra dominant rider i saw was Jonhson (because i didn't see Hannah golden years, devastating injury too). In 89 he won all the races at the beginning of the sx series, then never won again after his wrist injury. It was short but it was McGrath level before everybody even knew it was possible to dominate that much.

Both Cairolli and Everts lost titles. RC and RV are the only ones I can think of at the moment.
8/31/2019 8:10am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2019 8:21am
This reply probably isn't sticking to the subject of this thread.

But... I just want to say that I prefer my racers have a crash or win mentality. Racing should be the epitome of "living in the moment".

Championships are for promoters and sponsors, not for racers!

ATKpilot99
8/31/2019 8:56am
I'm not a Stewart history expert, but he did have one season where he missed the first couple rounds due to injury, so he was out...
I'm not a Stewart history expert, but he did have one season where he missed the first couple rounds due to injury, so he was out of the title, but pretty sure he won every race that he entered
Yeah he won every moto he was in but one in which he finished second. Langston won the title that season with one moto win .
8/31/2019 9:03am
I'm not a Stewart history expert, but he did have one season where he missed the first couple rounds due to injury, so he was out...
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Yeah he won every moto he was in but one in which he finished second. Langston won the title that season with one moto win .
That's one case where I'd rather have all those wins than the title.
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
8/31/2019 10:57am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2019 10:58am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
He had an outside chance had they raced Kenworthys. They only did 11 rounds that year because Kenworthys got flooded twice that year.

He also won 23 out of 24 the year before with the one moto loss from a DNF (believe mechanical, not crash) I at Red Bud (?).
Question
8/31/2019 2:05pm Edited Date/Time 8/31/2019 2:06pm
Question wrote:
RC, highly probable RV when "completing the series" must have impressive stats too, maybe 100%. Bayle has some great stats too between 1988 and 1992 (he...
RC, highly probable

Both Cairolli and Everts lost titles. RC and RV are the only ones I can think of at the moment.
I have just thought about RV, I remember he actually did lost a title "straight up" against Canard in 250, when he ended up on the finish pole, which was quite both amazing and controversial.

And maybe RC lost in 99/2000(?) in supercross.
8/31/2019 2:24pm
Question wrote:
RC, highly probable

Question wrote:
I have just thought about RV, I remember he actually did lost a title "straight up" against Canard in 250, when he ended up on the...
I have just thought about RV, I remember he actually did lost a title "straight up" against Canard in 250, when he ended up on the finish pole, which was quite both amazing and controversial.

Now that you mention it, I believe you're correct.
Question
8/31/2019 3:01pm
Question wrote:
I have just thought about RV, I remember he actually did lost a title "straight up" against Canard in 250, when he ended up on the...

Now that you mention it, I believe you're correct.
About 99/2000, I was not sure so I went to the vault. In 2000, RC finished the championship 5th with 263 points, with 1 DNF in Minneapolis. In 1999, RC missed at least a few rounds due to injury. So, even RC lost 1 championship he fully completed, 2000, in sx. And in 1997, he finished 3rd the east championship.

About RV, he also finished 3rd the west championship in 2006 (during which i don't think he has been injured, he came only 20 points short regarding the title, won by Langston).

Anyway, all the riders mentioned in this thread have amazing stats in term of win ratio/championship ratio/etc.

kb228
8/31/2019 3:38pm
I dont think RV was ever beat
zehn
8/31/2019 3:41pm
kb228 wrote:
Canard
8/31/2019 6:50pm
kb228 wrote:
zehn wrote:
Canard
Pretty sure that's when Jason Lawrence said about Canard "Anyone who punts Villopoto into a pole is alright with me".
mxb2
8/31/2019 8:29pm
Titles are way better than wins, not even a debate.
Adam89
8/31/2019 9:00pm Edited Date/Time 8/31/2019 9:01pm
If you aren’t winning, you’re losing.
mxb2
8/31/2019 9:06pm
Adam89 wrote:
Yep, ask.the golden state warriors best record in nba, lost the title. Guess whats more important.
Adam89
9/1/2019 5:54pm
Adam89 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
Yep, ask.the golden state warriors best record in nba, lost the title. Guess whats more important.
Losing the title is more important.
Why do you think there’s an end goal or winner in every sport? Sport is about winning and if you don’t have a winning mentality you’ll never become a winner and if you’re never a winner than you’ll understand what it feels like to be good at what you do.
mxb2
9/1/2019 8:13pm
Adam89 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
Adam89 wrote:
Losing the title is more important. Why do you think there’s an end goal or winner in every sport? Sport is about winning and if you...
Why do you think there’s an end goal or winner in every sport? Sport is about winning and if you don’t have a winning mentality you’ll never become a winner and if you’re never a winner than you’ll understand what it feels like to be good at what you do.
Yep, thats what i meant. Wins dont mean anything, compared to.a title.
ATKpilot99
9/1/2019 8:34pm
mxb2 wrote:
Adam89 wrote:
Losing the title is more important. Why do you think there’s an end goal or winner in every sport? Sport is about winning and if you...
mxb2 wrote:
Yep, thats what i meant. Wins dont mean anything, compared to.a title.
I would take Stewart's season of kicking everyone's ass that season over the title.
9/1/2019 8:42pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I would take Stewart's season of kicking everyone's ass that season over the title.
Yep. He owned everyone, and probably earned a ton in race bonuses, sponsor money, etc. Who remembers Langston over Stewart these days as far as 125 performances?

Post a reply to: Crash or Win

The Latest