Crappy picture on tv for races

rstaichi
Edited Date/Time 4/16/2019 8:23pm
So I bought an 65” LG OLED C8 tv due to me being in two leg casts and one arm cast and new I would be watching a lot of tv. The tv is the top rated for picture but man supercross looks like it being broadcast in 480. It’s such a bad picture.
I have Comcast/xfinity provider and a 4K cable box. I watch moto gp streaming online through apple 4K tv and it’s such an awesome picture, like last weekend watch moto gp from Texas then went right into supercross and it was so bad I almost didn’t want to watch it.

Does anyone get a clear picture with there set up or is it just the way it’s recorded? I’d be happy with 720 picture at least. I know it wasn’t as bad on my older tv but I didn’t have an all 4K set up so you didn’t notice it as much.
|
40acres
4/16/2019 9:36am
This is going to sound crazy, but you need to upgrade your hdmi cable. Your normal OOTB hdmi cable transfers about 18mbps, you can get up to 48mbps now but you can find them for about $30 now.

You really have to look though before you buy as a lot of them will fool you by advertising "4k, gold plated, etc" on the packaging only to read the fine print on the back and see it transfers up to 21mbps. Just remember you aren't going to find one for super cheap.
rstaichi
4/16/2019 9:42am
Yea I think I bought expensive ones but not sure of the rating, when you watch a 4K show it looks like you could touch them they look so real. You watch dirt bikes on Red Bull tv and it’s amazing. So if cables were crap would think it be crappy on everything.
40acres
4/16/2019 9:44am
Ah, that's definitely not the HDMI cable then. What cable service do you have? Might be worth a call or email to your provider.
kNewc
4/16/2019 10:02am
Is it the colors or the action on the screen looking grainy? It could be due to the speed of the TV. If it's only 60hz and there is a lot of action on the screen the anti-aliasing may not be able to keep up. I've had that happen on older screens.

The Shop

40acres
4/16/2019 10:06am
Good point, 120hz is a MUST
gt80rider
4/16/2019 10:27am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2019 10:28am
My problem with the picture is when they go to picture in picture.... Then, even though I am running a 75" tv, I just can't really see the action... The smaller pic in the lower right is totally unwatchable, even on a giant screen, and the bigger picture in the upper left is barely big enough to distinguish between different riders...

To boil it down... When Feld goes to pic n pic I can't see diddly.... Even on a huge tv.... Make both larger on screen and I could see them... Now, both are too small....
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
4/16/2019 10:34am
I have the Samsung 82" UH 4K and Direct TV and have amazing picture on all channels F1 , Supercross etc all look great so maybe its comcast and not the TV
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
4/16/2019 10:36am
gt80rider wrote:
My problem with the picture is when they go to picture in picture.... Then, even though I am running a 75" tv, I just can't really...
My problem with the picture is when they go to picture in picture.... Then, even though I am running a 75" tv, I just can't really see the action... The smaller pic in the lower right is totally unwatchable, even on a giant screen, and the bigger picture in the upper left is barely big enough to distinguish between different riders...

To boil it down... When Feld goes to pic n pic I can't see diddly.... Even on a huge tv.... Make both larger on screen and I could see them... Now, both are too small....
I agree with the picture in picture they waste most of the screen for two small pictures , I didn't get a big TV to watch two small pictures, I hate when they switch to split screen. Angry
40acres
4/16/2019 10:47am
To be fair, they waste a lot of the screen with the scoring and timing on the left of the screen. We miss out on wide angle shots because of this.

Off topic, but my best friend works in the production industry and their company has done SX a few years back. They're contracted to do outdoors this year and he is currently working on the graphics package at this moment. NBC is wanting to stay with the left side ticket and everyone in the industry prefers the ticker at the bottom/top because the viewer can enjoy more action.

I never really realized this until we had a pretty in depth conversation about it the other night. Cool stuff, but it's even cooler knowing someone I grew up with is designing every inch of graphics on screen during live action.

Back on topic, you might want to contact the provider as there could be a transmission issue with that certain channel they're unaware of.
DonM
4/16/2019 10:48am
OP is correct the NBCSN picture quality is not up the standards of other networks, I also have an OLED TV and when you have a signal like NBCSN it appears to much less because the others are so great. It's not just SX it's everything on NBCSN, I first noticed it last year during the nationals.
A note for the OP make sure you do have the correct HDMI cables (higher price doesn't always mean better quality) and the best thing you can do is calibrate your TV picture just google your model and follow the instructions Rtings seems to be the best.
kb228
4/16/2019 10:56am
Sounds like supercross isnt being broadcast in that high of a resolution. I dont believe any TV is at 4K quite yet. That requires a lot of bandwidth. Stuff like football or motogp might be at 1080. Having a big TV makes it worse.
4/16/2019 10:58am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2019 10:59am
If you are watching supercross through the same cable box and same input on the TV that you are watching the good looking content on, then it has nothing to do with your setup and is down to the signal you are getting. So if NBCSN is a channel that you get on on your Comcast cable package and you are simply changing to that channel to watch the supercross and it looks terrible - it's nothing that you are doing that is causing the crap picture.
40acres
4/16/2019 11:00am
kb228 wrote:
Sounds like supercross isnt being broadcast in that high of a resolution. I dont believe any TV is at 4K quite yet. That requires a lot...
Sounds like supercross isnt being broadcast in that high of a resolution. I dont believe any TV is at 4K quite yet. That requires a lot of bandwidth. Stuff like football or motogp might be at 1080. Having a big TV makes it worse.
I think this has more to do with SX not being broadcast in 4k. There are tons of true 4k televisions out. Not all channels will broadcast in 4k yet though. Kind of how it took a little while for networks to jump on the 1080 bandwagon.

However, the true 4k HDMI cable will transfer 48mbps. You'll see some advertise up to 8k, but that isn't out yet. The new Playstation 5 is rumored to broadcast in 8k though so it is coming.
rstaichi
4/16/2019 11:21am
DonM wrote:
OP is correct the NBCSN picture quality is not up the standards of other networks, I also have an OLED TV and when you have a...
OP is correct the NBCSN picture quality is not up the standards of other networks, I also have an OLED TV and when you have a signal like NBCSN it appears to much less because the others are so great. It's not just SX it's everything on NBCSN, I first noticed it last year during the nationals.
A note for the OP make sure you do have the correct HDMI cables (higher price doesn't always mean better quality) and the best thing you can do is calibrate your TV picture just google your model and follow the instructions Rtings seems to be the best.
Yea first thing i did. Picture was really bad at first them went online and got the right calibrations for it. Night and day difference. I did Rtings and Consumer Reports. Both were much better.
rstaichi
4/16/2019 11:24am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2019 12:24pm
Mr. Knobby wrote:
If you are watching supercross through the same cable box and same input on the TV that you are watching the good looking content on, then...
If you are watching supercross through the same cable box and same input on the TV that you are watching the good looking content on, then it has nothing to do with your setup and is down to the signal you are getting. So if NBCSN is a channel that you get on on your Comcast cable package and you are simply changing to that channel to watch the supercross and it looks terrible - it's nothing that you are doing that is causing the crap picture.
That’s what i think too. Because you can watch HBO, Showtime... all are 1080 but look amazing on the tv. The only real 4K I can get is Netflix, Prime,YouTube and Apple 4K TV.
Layton
4/16/2019 11:32am
Something else that you may want to check. I get NBCSN on two different channels. One has a really good picture and the other doesn’t. You might want to see if that is a possibility.
rstaichi
4/16/2019 11:37am
kNewc wrote:
Is it the colors or the action on the screen looking grainy? It could be due to the speed of the TV. If it's only 60hz...
Is it the colors or the action on the screen looking grainy? It could be due to the speed of the TV. If it's only 60hz and there is a lot of action on the screen the anti-aliasing may not be able to keep up. I've had that happen on older screens.
I dont know the hertz of it but got a 10 out of 10 for response time on Ratings.com. One of the reasons I got it. It’s rated number 1 with most testing sites.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
4/16/2019 11:44am
40acres wrote:
This is going to sound crazy, but you need to upgrade your hdmi cable. Your normal OOTB hdmi cable transfers about 18mbps, you can get up...
This is going to sound crazy, but you need to upgrade your hdmi cable. Your normal OOTB hdmi cable transfers about 18mbps, you can get up to 48mbps now but you can find them for about $30 now.

You really have to look though before you buy as a lot of them will fool you by advertising "4k, gold plated, etc" on the packaging only to read the fine print on the back and see it transfers up to 21mbps. Just remember you aren't going to find one for super cheap.
That’s not his issue.

The image quality of the event just isn’t that great. There’s lots of artifacting. I think it’s a result of how they’re compressing the data and isn’t anything you can fix on your end.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
4/16/2019 11:46am
I agree with OP. It seems like the NBCSN picture is not as good as we were getting on FS1 last year.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
4/16/2019 11:49am
40acres wrote:
To be fair, they waste a lot of the screen with the scoring and timing on the left of the screen. We miss out on wide...
To be fair, they waste a lot of the screen with the scoring and timing on the left of the screen. We miss out on wide angle shots because of this.

Off topic, but my best friend works in the production industry and their company has done SX a few years back. They're contracted to do outdoors this year and he is currently working on the graphics package at this moment. NBC is wanting to stay with the left side ticket and everyone in the industry prefers the ticker at the bottom/top because the viewer can enjoy more action.

I never really realized this until we had a pretty in depth conversation about it the other night. Cool stuff, but it's even cooler knowing someone I grew up with is designing every inch of graphics on screen during live action.

Back on topic, you might want to contact the provider as there could be a transmission issue with that certain channel they're unaware of.
Oh good, I hope they go to the left side graphics for MX. I hate waiting for the riders I'm looking for to scroll across the top. The left side graphic lets me see everybody instantly.

And showing time intervals is critical. Since the camera can't follow all riders, I like to be able to see the time intervals for riders who aren't on camera. So don't waste my time by showing "fast lap" and "last lap". I don't find those useful. And above all, NEVER replace any of the times with "bike brand"!!!

Though I wish they would get rid of putting the head shots of the 2 guys who the camera is following when they are battling for position. That's useless.
Rooster
4/16/2019 12:02pm
The graphics all seem to be high resolution and the action seems to be lower quality.

My theory is that they're broadcasting in HD, but the cameras covering the action are 480.

This is from what I see on a 1080p monitor. Even at just 1080, there's a noticeable difference in quality between the on-screen graphics and the action.
MOTO732
4/16/2019 12:03pm
Here's a good one. I have an top of the line 4k TV...all the bells and whistles etc. Picture looks great, really nice...until you walk downstairs and watch the exact same program on my 10+ y/o PLASMA tv. NO comparison. Plasma rules for the blackest blacks, super sharp picture for watching sports or racing. You can see the hair on a gnats nuts with plasma. Picture is clearer and a lot sharper. Now, it's not a smart TV, but who cares. People talk about 120hz being good?Plasma TV's are 600hz. You want to watch the races on a great picture? Get an old plasma that is till working.
DonM
4/16/2019 12:13pm
MOTO732 wrote:
Here's a good one. I have an top of the line 4k TV...all the bells and whistles etc. Picture looks great, really nice...until you walk downstairs...
Here's a good one. I have an top of the line 4k TV...all the bells and whistles etc. Picture looks great, really nice...until you walk downstairs and watch the exact same program on my 10+ y/o PLASMA tv. NO comparison. Plasma rules for the blackest blacks, super sharp picture for watching sports or racing. You can see the hair on a gnats nuts with plasma. Picture is clearer and a lot sharper. Now, it's not a smart TV, but who cares. People talk about 120hz being good?Plasma TV's are 600hz. You want to watch the races on a great picture? Get an old plasma that is till working.
The new OLED's are the first to come close to Plasma's I too have an old plasma and my OLED TV is the first one I've seen to out perform my old heavy trusty plasma that is now relegated to the bedroom....Sports is where a normal LED TV just can't even come close...
rstaichi
4/16/2019 12:17pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2019 12:29pm
MOTO732 wrote:
Here's a good one. I have an top of the line 4k TV...all the bells and whistles etc. Picture looks great, really nice...until you walk downstairs...
That’s what I used to have (Plasma non 4K) and was going to put it down stairs but don't have the ability to do that right now.
rstaichi
4/16/2019 12:25pm
Layton wrote:
Something else that you may want to check. I get NBCSN on two different channels. One has a really good picture and the other doesn’t. You...
Something else that you may want to check. I get NBCSN on two different channels. One has a really good picture and the other doesn’t. You might want to see if that is a possibility.
Yes us too. But I’m watching the HD channel one.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
4/16/2019 12:29pm
MOTO732 wrote:
I agree. My plasma Pioneer 50" monitor hasn't let me down yet.

I don't watch stick and ball sports so there's just not enough 4k content on television for me to make the switch just yet.

I use it for TV, movies and gaming.

I suppose the downside is that it's not a smart TV. Other than that it does everything I need it to.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
4/16/2019 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2019 12:48pm
MOTO732 wrote:
Plasma's where great TVs and a great picture, I even used mine to heat my house in the winter. Tongue That thing put off some heat.
kb228
4/16/2019 1:01pm
kb228 wrote:
Sounds like supercross isnt being broadcast in that high of a resolution. I dont believe any TV is at 4K quite yet. That requires a lot...
40acres wrote:
I think this has more to do with SX not being broadcast in 4k. There are tons of true 4k televisions out. Not all channels will...
I think this has more to do with SX not being broadcast in 4k. There are tons of true 4k televisions out. Not all channels will broadcast in 4k yet though. Kind of how it took a little while for networks to jump on the 1080 bandwagon.

However, the true 4k HDMI cable will transfer 48mbps. You'll see some advertise up to 8k, but that isn't out yet. The new Playstation 5 is rumored to broadcast in 8k though so it is coming.
What im saying is when it comes to TV, it doesnt matter if you have a 4K tv. What matters is what the cameras resolution is and what the channels resolution is. Im fairly certain theres no true 4K broadcast out there. Only 720 and 1080. The super crisp video you might see on football is true uncompressed 1080. 4K is like seeing peoples pores from a mile away.

Problems might arise when you have your cable box set at 1080, and your channel is broadcasting in 720, and your tv at 1080. The picture gets scaled 1.5x bigger without the increase in pixel density.
JBecker 72
4/16/2019 1:05pm
RichieW13 wrote:
I agree with OP. It seems like the NBCSN picture is not as good as we were getting on FS1 last year.
I’ve noticed the same thing. At least it’s not as bad as the FS2 rounds we had a couple years back that weren’t broadcast in HD on Comcast.
aees
4/16/2019 1:26pm
Rooster wrote:
The graphics all seem to be high resolution and the action seems to be lower quality. My theory is that they're broadcasting in HD, but the...
The graphics all seem to be high resolution and the action seems to be lower quality.

My theory is that they're broadcasting in HD, but the cameras covering the action are 480.

This is from what I see on a 1080p monitor. Even at just 1080, there's a noticeable difference in quality between the on-screen graphics and the action.
Cameras is not 480, come on. Supercrosslive.com, perfect picture in 1080p.

Post a reply to: Crappy picture on tv for races

The Latest