Crank rebuilds

Related:
Create New Tag

7/25/2020 10:44 AM

Who's the go to for getting a crank rebuilt for a KTM that won't break the bank? I usually replace the crank all together but I'm looking to save some dough this time around.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

7/25/2020 11:01 AM

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

7/25/2020 11:10 AM

Cookseycrank.com rebuilds then too

|

7/25/2020 11:12 AM

Crank works use to work there back in the day. They do A+ work. Get it balanced and the pin welded.

|

7/25/2020 11:52 AM

Crank works in AZ. Excellent work

|

7/25/2020 1:30 PM

I have ken oconnor do mine. Great job. Cheap and turnaround was very fast

|

7/25/2020 1:38 PM

RPJ Performance. Has been quite good for us.

|

7/25/2020 1:47 PM

Ken Oconner or Crank works. Crank works specializes in cranks and even builds them from scratch.

|

7/25/2020 2:28 PM

Any decent go cart or road racing tuners etc that are local? They rebuild cranks so often compared to Mx

|

7/25/2020 2:49 PM

Spergen wrote:

Any decent go cart or road racing tuners etc that are local? They rebuild cranks so often compared to Mx

I'll second you looking for someone local. Saves on shipping costs and cuts down your wait time. All of the ones mentioned above are good options, don't get me wrong, but I'd be willing to bet there are a few local guys near you that someone can recomend.

|

7/25/2020 3:36 PM

I think your best bet would be to find someone local. Shipping can beat them up a bit

|

7/25/2020 3:47 PM

Polishhammer wrote:

I used him in the past and he did fantastic work. But he isn't doing them anymore according to his website

https://www.cookseycrank.com/

|

7/25/2020 3:59 PM

Agreed, Crankworks Phil

|

7/25/2020 4:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/27/2020 6:26 AM

Polishhammer wrote:

Website says "No longer...."

I used Mr. Crankshaft in PA [<- WRONG!!! It's Kentucky] a month ago. Excellent e-mail communication (very important to me since that's how I communicate), FAST turnaround, very reasonable price.

'19 KTM 150 SX.

http://www.mrcrankshaft.com/

|

2019 KTM 150 SX
2015 Yamaha YZ 250

7/25/2020 4:39 PM

I used Ken O'Connor. he was very fast and answered questions I had when I was putting the cases back together. Super nice guy!

|

"So you're telling me there's a chance!!"

7/25/2020 5:33 PM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

I think your best bet would be to find someone local. Shipping can beat them up a bit

Agree, when you pay for insurance to replace the crank, it gets way up there.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

7/25/2020 5:36 PM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

captmoto wrote:

Agree, when you pay for insurance to replace the crank, it gets way up there.

I literally just finished truing mine that I had shipped to me. It was only shipped 100 miles and was pretty far off, and I really trust the tuner that built it for me. The packaging was done very good as well

|

7/25/2020 5:39 PM

V blocks a dial indicator and youtube.

|

7/25/2020 5:50 PM

ATKpilot99 wrote:

V blocks a dial indicator and youtube.

I’ll take a pic of the getup I put together and post it later. I feel like I don’t have time to do anything these last couple weeks so i slapped some stuff together and ordered a couple dial indicators and v blocks

|

7/25/2020 7:50 PM

I welded this together with some random scrap (I’m no welder obviously). I needed an offset on the vblocks so I RTVd a second set of v blocks on top of the welded ones lol. The offset gave me the right height though so it worked Photo
Photo

|

7/25/2020 10:18 PM

Polishhammer wrote:

HighPlainsSquid wrote:

I used Mr. Crankshaft in PA [<- WRONG!!! It's Kentucky] a month ago. Excellent e-mail communication (very important to me since that's how I communicate), FAST turnaround, very reasonable price.

'19 KTM 150 SX.

Mind me asking what you paid just so I know what I’m looking at for a ball park? I work at a dealer so my parts will be relatively cheap (OEM KTM stuff) just want to know what labor and all that was like.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

7/26/2020 4:13 AM

Polishhammer wrote:

HighPlainsSquid wrote:

'19 KTM 150 SX.

Where in PA? Website says Kentucky?

|

7/26/2020 9:10 AM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

I welded this together with some random scrap (I’m no welder obviously). I needed an offset on the vblocks so I RTVd a second set of v blocks on top of the welded ones lol. The offset gave me the right height though so it worked Photo
Photo

RTV?
Are you comfortable with the rigidity (or lack of) that will give you?

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.

7/26/2020 9:16 AM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

Photo

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

RTV?
Are you comfortable with the rigidity (or lack of) that will give you?

I wasn’t too worried about it. I imagine if I welded them I’d most likely get the same read on the dial indicators.

|

7/26/2020 9:26 AM

I guess if it moves, it moves together.
Just thinking outloud.

|

7/26/2020 9:34 AM

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

I guess if it moves, it moves together.
Just thinking outloud.

Welding it would definitely be ideal, I just didn’t want to lose another set of v blocks for this damn build that’s been driving me nuts lol. Now I’m considering pulling my crankshaft back out and getting another read while welded because that’s the type of guy I am lol

|

7/26/2020 9:37 AM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

Welding it would definitely be ideal, I just didn’t want to lose another set of v blocks for this damn build that’s been driving me nuts lol. Now I’m considering pulling my crankshaft back out and getting another read while welded because that’s the type of guy I am lol

Hahaha!

Sorry, buddy. cool

|

7/26/2020 10:36 AM

"A" for effort, but....

|

7/26/2020 2:23 PM

Sprew wrote:

"A" for effort, but....

The constructive criticism got the better of me so I pulled the crank back out, removed the bearing race (which I was trying to avoid) and made some changes to the stand. I’m out .001 on the fly wheel side and maybe .0005 on the other side. I could have gotten it closer on the flywheel side, but I also didn’t want it to get worse.
Photo

|

7/26/2020 3:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2020 3:27 PM

Polishhammer wrote:

HighPlainsSquid wrote:

'19 KTM 150 SX.

cwel11 wrote:

Where in PA? Website says Kentucky?

Kentucky!!!!! Duh. I've lived in both and Nostalgia took over.

I paid $169 and I paid shipping since I have a UPS account. That was for a Pro-X crank. Turn around was overnight. Crank was gone for a week. By contrast, I sent my Husky to another guy in CO. "Parts are in stock!!!" I said "I do NOT want to use a Hot Rods crank!!!" "Oh no!!! I never use those!!!" Three weeks later... "All the parts are in!!! I should be done this week." Two weeks later "The Hot Rods crank shattered!!!!" WTF, dude???? Eight weeks later, I got it back, finally.

I looked into AZ and Ken too and they were right there on my list but Mr. Crankshaft was extremely good at e-mail communication so I went with him.

|

2019 KTM 150 SX
2015 Yamaha YZ 250