Craigslist Scam of the Day

newmann
Edited Date/Time 10/12/2019 5:59am
I did a little build thread on this one way back when and ended up selling it to a fellow Vitard (fencepost) in Ca. for $2400.00 about 8 years ago looking just like this sitting in my driveway. He made a few changes after getting it. It's a 2002 model by the way...

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/d/keller-2003-cr-250/6987793193.h…

Awesome 03 Race bike is totally race prepped ,I am selling for a friend with injury's over 6000.invested asking 4800. call

|
kb228
10/8/2019 10:29am
Any bike older than 2016 for 4800 is a scam
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
10/8/2019 11:32am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2019 11:33am
JohnnyD13 wrote:
What part is the scam? The story?
2002 model advertised as a 03.....and possibly the sob story.

The Shop

fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
10/8/2019 11:35am
JohnnyD13 wrote:
I'm guessing that the pics are 8 years old and outside of Newman's house?
GripNRip617
10/8/2019 11:49am
Are you upset that he's "flipping" a bike that you sold 8 years ago?
jeffro503
10/8/2019 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2019 12:03pm
Are you upset that he's "flipping" a bike that you sold 8 years ago?
Newmann doesn't sound upset , just bringing up a fact that the bike looked like that 8 years ago , in his own driveway. Maybe some more wear and tear in those 8 years? Maybe the dude could of taken some recent shots? Just a wild guess.

Btw...." selling for a friend"? Why couldn't the friend post the ad? And why is this dude using 8 year old pictures? 100% sounds fishy as hell.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
10/8/2019 12:15pm
I see newmann got a downvote. Craigslist scammer must be a vital regular?
RF145
10/8/2019 12:35pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
I see newmann got a downvote. Craigslist scammer must be a vital regular?
Or perhaps the down vote was related to the scam. Sort of like a Facebook emoji thing.
newmann
10/8/2019 1:38pm
JohnnyD13 wrote:
All of it. The bike was sold 8 or so years ago to a guy in California who changed up several things. Those pics are of the bike when I owned it and sitting in my driveway back in 2010. Now some scammer in Dallas is trying to sell it based off of pics he probably lifted off of Vital.
Motohead279
10/8/2019 1:59pm
Let’s all bombard his lying ass with phone calls and text messages
500guy
10/8/2019 2:21pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2019 2:21pm
JohnnyD13 wrote:
newmann wrote:
All of it. The bike was sold 8 or so years ago to a guy in California who changed up several things. Those pics are of...
All of it. The bike was sold 8 or so years ago to a guy in California who changed up several things. Those pics are of the bike when I owned it and sitting in my driveway back in 2010. Now some scammer in Dallas is trying to sell it based off of pics he probably lifted off of Vital.
Try to buy it, ask him if he will take a cashiers check for $8500 and give your shipping agent the balance in cash.
500guy
10/8/2019 2:23pm
JohnnyD13 wrote:
newmann wrote:
All of it. The bike was sold 8 or so years ago to a guy in California who changed up several things. Those pics are of...
500guy wrote:
Try to buy it, ask him if he will take a cashiers check for $8500 and give your shipping agent the balance in cash.
817/431/3005
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
10/8/2019 3:15pm
Yeah but who did your brick inlay driveway?
mh226
10/8/2019 3:42pm
i've had a similar experience north of the border. It was all fun and games for the seller until the police showed up...
ns503
10/8/2019 4:16pm
So in other words, said seller doesn't even have said bike to sell?
mh226
10/8/2019 4:42pm
ns503 wrote:
So in other words, said seller doesn't even have said bike to sell?
Yup......
APLMAN99
10/9/2019 5:07pm
So is it a legit ad but using old pictures from when Newmann sold it originally? Or is it an ad where the bike isn’t actually “for sale”. The guy that Newmann sold it to should be able to verify if he still has it or if he sold it.
kawasa84
10/10/2019 4:11am
I'm not "from" TX but live here now. In the time I've been here though, I think its hilarious that most "native" Texans (born here but not truly native) have this grandeur of having to return if they have left to live somewhere else for awhile.
Seems to me, said owner who bought bike and took to California never sold this bike at all, and is probably wondering where its at.
The bike: 2002 Honda CR 250, probably also "thinking" it was a "native" Texan, left California on its own, and returned to its homeland.
This seems to be the most plausible explanation to this mystery machine to me
Dimblewambie
10/10/2019 7:25am
kawasa84 wrote:
I'm not "from" TX but live here now. In the time I've been here though, I think its hilarious that most "native" Texans (born here but...
I'm not "from" TX but live here now. In the time I've been here though, I think its hilarious that most "native" Texans (born here but not truly native) have this grandeur of having to return if they have left to live somewhere else for awhile.
Seems to me, said owner who bought bike and took to California never sold this bike at all, and is probably wondering where its at.
The bike: 2002 Honda CR 250, probably also "thinking" it was a "native" Texan, left California on its own, and returned to its homeland.
This seems to be the most plausible explanation to this mystery machine to me
Kurlon
10/10/2019 1:50pm
The 'seller' doesn't have a bike, it's a phishing operation, although a bit better done than others as it's not a 2017 R6 in 'mint' condition for $1200, slightly more believable price on this one.
casper
10/10/2019 2:02pm
Can someone explain how this scam would work? How do you sell something you don't have? Request a wire payment before even seeing it?
RF145
10/10/2019 2:10pm
People use stock photos to sell stuff all the time. Quit being Yenta's
Dick, are you actually reading this thread and understanding it, or just trying to be funny? Because your comment is either very funny (but poorly written), or you are as your name implies.
In case you are a dick, this scamming is a serious issue in our sport. Newman is trying to alert people to a possible scam that could cause a lose of thousands of dollars.
newmann
10/10/2019 2:32pm
RF145 wrote:
Dick, are you actually reading this thread and understanding it, or just trying to be funny? Because your comment is either very funny (but poorly written)...
Dick, are you actually reading this thread and understanding it, or just trying to be funny? Because your comment is either very funny (but poorly written), or you are as your name implies.
In case you are a dick, this scamming is a serious issue in our sport. Newman is trying to alert people to a possible scam that could cause a lose of thousands of dollars.
Don't bother. I've come to the conclusion that some people deserve to be scammed. Only way they'll learn...if they learn.
10/10/2019 2:33pm
RF145 wrote:
Dick, are you actually reading this thread and understanding it, or just trying to be funny? Because your comment is either very funny (but poorly written)...
It's funny how someone who obviously doesn't understand satire comments on how something is written. Don't take life so seriously.

Anyone who is planning on spending $4800 on anything should have some idea of what the item is worth. Setting up a rendezvous point at a police station or fire station when potentially spending large sums of money on Craigslist is also advised.

The Yenta part was 100% accurate. Look up the words meaning.
RF145
10/10/2019 4:37pm
newmann wrote:
Don't bother. I've come to the conclusion that some people deserve to be scammed. Only way they'll learn...if they learn.
Joe, I am semi shocked that when you went out of your way to give a heads up, using time that should be applied to the cleaning up of your property, there are those posting poorly written satire, outright confusion, and generally some truly dumb ass shit here.
Then, I realized that I am on Vital MX.
Take “DICK” for example: He uses the Yiddish word Yenta, claims he knows what it means and posts for the readers (me mostly) to look it up. Well, I have heard and used that word for most of my life. But, for shits and giggles here is the dictionary version; a woman who is a gossip or busybody.
Joe Newman....Not a woman, yet. Gossip/busybody, not in any sense of the word.
I guess Vital would not be Vital without the DICKS.
No wonder I rarely visit this site.
jeffro503
10/10/2019 5:02pm
RF145 wrote:
It's funny how someone who obviously doesn't understand satire comments on how something is written. Don't take life so seriously. Anyone who is planning on spending...
It's funny how someone who obviously doesn't understand satire comments on how something is written. Don't take life so seriously.

Anyone who is planning on spending $4800 on anything should have some idea of what the item is worth. Setting up a rendezvous point at a police station or fire station when potentially spending large sums of money on Craigslist is also advised.

The point is , is that it's a scam sale. Not every potential buyer is smart enough to meet up at a police station. So I see Joe giving out a warning to said potential buyer's. No point in trying to condemn that right?
10/10/2019 6:21pm
RF145 wrote:
It's funny how someone who obviously doesn't understand satire comments on how something is written. Don't take life so seriously. Anyone who is planning on spending...

jeffro503 wrote:
The point is , is that it's a scam sale. Not every potential buyer is smart enough to meet up at a police station. So I...
The point is , is that it's a scam sale. Not every potential buyer is smart enough to meet up at a police station. So I see Joe giving out a warning to said potential buyer's. No point in trying to condemn that right?
You partially got me. Insulting anyone's intelligence was not my intent, and I mean that in all sincerity.

However, in order for someone to get scammed, it would require them to provide payment without receipt of the product. In this scenario, it would also mean paying 2 grand more than what the product is worth. This is all assuming dipshit Craigslist seller doesn't have the bike. There's a phone number in the ad, as well as direct links to report scams on Craigslist. Has anyone called the seller or reported the scam to Craigslist, or is everyone just making assumptions?

That's the point of the original smart ass post of mine.
newmann
10/10/2019 8:08pm
newmann wrote:
RF145 wrote:
Joe, I am semi shocked that when you went out of your way to give a heads up, using time that should be applied to the...
Joe, I am semi shocked that when you went out of your way to give a heads up, using time that should be applied to the cleaning up of your property, there are those posting poorly written satire, outright confusion, and generally some truly dumb ass shit here.
Then, I realized that I am on Vital MX.
Take “DICK” for example: He uses the Yiddish word Yenta, claims he knows what it means and posts for the readers (me mostly) to look it up. Well, I have heard and used that word for most of my life. But, for shits and giggles here is the dictionary version; a woman who is a gossip or busybody.
Joe Newman....Not a woman, yet. Gossip/busybody, not in any sense of the word.
I guess Vital would not be Vital without the DICKS.
No wonder I rarely visit this site.
Never let two foot of water in your house

put a damper on a good cold beer.

And considering I’m sleeping upstairs above my shop these days with an RC500 at the foot of the bed....life is still “pretty good”👍

Post a reply to: Craigslist Scam of the Day

The Latest