Craigslist Etiquette? Holding Items?

I just want to get your opinions. Ive been on both sides recently.

This time, I'm selling a bike. Guy #1 calls Friday. Wants to PICK IT UP for full price Saturday morning but I had stomach flu so I said I cant. He said he get back to me about Sunday. Never heard back.

Guy #2, calls Saturday, haggles price. He mentions a deposit but never gets me one as he is 3 hours away. I tried to meet him half way Sunday saving him 2 hrs, but he could not. He is still "deciding" what day works for him, many exceptions. I told him someone else wanted it for full price but haven't heard back yet and he says " yeah, yeah we both know how that goes though....."

Guy #1 call back and wants it today for full price. He will meet RIGHT NOW.

Guy #2- Freaks out, thought it was his....

What do you think? People want things HELD but no money has been exchanged, no in person agreements, nothing

Who gets it in your opinion?
|
3/14/2017 10:50am
I realize this is very he said she said but I find craigslist bullcrap mildly entertaining nowadays.....
ThatOneKid
3/14/2017 10:51am
Money talks, Guy 1 gets it. Guy 2 didnt put any money down or agree to anything.
twnorton
3/14/2017 10:52am
first person to bring cash gets it. no holds.
SEE ARE125
3/14/2017 10:52am
First person to show up and put the money in your hand gets it, unless you agreed to hold it for guy #2?

The Shop

JRT812
3/14/2017 10:54am
After that scenario the first one with the money. Usually, I wont hold for someone who I'm going out of my way to meet.
mxb2
3/14/2017 10:58am
$$ talks bullshit walks,. Unless you get a large deposit, non refundable . And agree to a date on balance payoff.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/14/2017 11:01am
Unless you had a verbal contract with the guy wherein you stated "I WILL HOLD THIS BIKE FOR YOU UNTIL ____," I'd say sell it to the first guy that walks over with cash in hand.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/14/2017 11:01am
PS-
"We both know how that goes" sometimes actually goes the way you wanted it to.
early
Fantasy
2231st
3/14/2017 11:12am
Guy #1 gets it.
Tell Guy #2 it wasnt meant to be. Thats what i tell myself when a deal doenst work out for one reason or another.
zacksavchuk
Fantasy
2391st
3/14/2017 11:13am
Whoever brings me cash first is who gets the bike. I expect the same when going to purchase something, if you want something then you go buy it. Dont wait around for someone else to get the chance to buy it.
pummel
Fantasy
370th
3/14/2017 11:15am
twnorton wrote:
first person to bring cash gets it. no holds.
Money in hand always. No holds no BS Always cash
omalley
3/14/2017 11:19am
Guy #2 jacked you around and wouldn't commit. Had you agreed to a date/time because he was out of town or something, selling it out from under him might be douche-y, but the bottom line is that he couldn't crap or get off the pot, and guy number 1 did. Further, guy number 2 would likely be the type to haggle over the phone, agree to a price, then show up 2 hours late and want to haggle some more.

I used to honor verbal agreements on CL stuff, but after getting stood up, jacked around, and given every sob story in the book, it's cash talks, BS walks at this point. The worst was an a-hole that looked at my bike for better than an hour. We tore it partway down so he could see everything. He then tells me that "I got ahold of another guy whose bike was "never raced" and I want to look at it first. I explained the fallacy of the "never raced" BS but he insisted. I get a call later that night saying he bought the other one. Fine. I had another buyer anyway. But the kicker is I start getting emails from this brain surgeon wanting setup advice. Yeah right, waste my time, buy someone else's bike, then ask for free advice from me...F off.
bvm111
3/14/2017 11:20am
If it was that important to guy numero two he would have come picked it up right away and put the cash in your hand!
DEMONDAVE
3/14/2017 11:32am
never hold anything with out a cash deposit EVER
3/14/2017 11:37am
I tell people give me your best and final and hurry up. If they have to schedule a few days out. I tell its fair game if someone shows up with more money
mxb2
3/14/2017 11:42am
DEMONDAVE wrote:
never hold anything with out a cash deposit EVER
Boom, a non refundable deposit,and a written agreement. Verbal agreements don't mean shit.
doofy
3/14/2017 11:46am
I wouldnt hold anything for anyone or bring an item your selling closer to make it easier on the buyer. Ive bought and sold probably 100 bikes on CL and prolly 95% of calls/texts arent serious inquirees just someome dreaming. You can meet the guy if you want but dont be shocked if he shows up and wants to haggle you and nit pick. Alot of the bikes ive sold were pristine and restored, not one person was ever pleased it was only the negative things and why its worth less than what im asking.
RBernardi85
3/14/2017 11:52am
I buy and sell stuff on Craigslist all day. If a guy is coming or I'm going to look at something a couple hrs away I will give and hope the seller gives me the allotted time to get there before selling I look at traffic before hand and let the seller know what I'm up against. Most buyers don't do that, but I look for them from the general area they will be coming from if I'm the seller. That being said if I know it's a 2 hr drive and I get a call half through your drive from another potential buyer. I will call you ask your location because In 1hr that item is up for grabs. Now I know shit happens and all and I'm not a total dick about it but don't beat around the bush, either you got the cash and want the item or don't. Let the haggling be done in person.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
3/14/2017 11:52am
I don't hold things for more than a couple hours if the person seems genuine, or with a deposit, but all my ads say no holds, first to close the sale cash and carry takes it. People are too all over the map on craigs to get hung out holding for people you don't know from Adam.
3/14/2017 12:09pm
You guys are all right on in my opinion. As soon as I told the guy #2 the deal he gives me the guilt trip that his kid really wants this, but now is al of a sudden available to drive up. Amazing how that wasn't an option before hand......cripes people....
ctbale
3/14/2017 12:27pm
I just had the same thing happen when I sold my dirtbike.

I had a guy who was going to make the 2 hr drive the next day, the guy who was local came and got it, the 2hr guy freeks out!! I told him to suck it. Ad says will not hold bike. I told him, he should have done what I do, and offer to papal $50 non refundable to hold it just to firm up the deal.

Never turn away a cash buyer because your waiting for someone else to show up. Cuz they almost always dont.
mxb2
3/14/2017 12:32pm
ctbale wrote:
I just had the same thing happen when I sold my dirtbike. I had a guy who was going to make the 2 hr drive the...
I just had the same thing happen when I sold my dirtbike.

I had a guy who was going to make the 2 hr drive the next day, the guy who was local came and got it, the 2hr guy freeks out!! I told him to suck it. Ad says will not hold bike. I told him, he should have done what I do, and offer to papal $50 non refundable to hold it just to firm up the deal.

Never turn away a cash buyer because your waiting for someone else to show up. Cuz they almost always dont.
I wdnt hold a bike for $50, to easy to back out, a serious buyer will put half down non refundable, most won't back out with a large amount deposited. If they say,no. You know the answer. Cash usually eliminates the bull shitters.
ctbale
3/14/2017 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2017 12:38pm
mxb2 wrote:
I wdnt hold a bike for $50, to easy to back out, a serious buyer will put half down non refundable, most won't back out with...
I wdnt hold a bike for $50, to easy to back out, a serious buyer will put half down non refundable, most won't back out with a large amount deposited. If they say,no. You know the answer. Cash usually eliminates the bull shitters.
The Bike I was selling was $2000. $50 will buy you a day with me. then if he backs out, I pocket the $50, and repost. No big deal.
JWACK
3/14/2017 12:36pm
I agree cash talks.. But then again I've been on the other end of that stick. I once found a cherry cr250 I wanted in Phoenix years ago and lived in Albuquerque. About 7 hours away. I called the dude around 7 in the evening on a Friday and ask if he would hold it for me till the morning. He said no problem it's yours. I didn't haggle the price one bit. I'm leaving right now I told him. Call you at 7 or 8 in the morning . So I drive all night and call the dude in the morning. No answer for half a day. Then the shit face text me that he sold it at noon. I was pissed and let him know how I really felt.
Moral of he story is If you give someone your WORD, stick to it..

or at very least communicate what's going on with the other party involved.
SEE ARE125
3/14/2017 12:36pm
You guys are all right on in my opinion. As soon as I told the guy #2 the deal he gives me the guilt trip that...
You guys are all right on in my opinion. As soon as I told the guy #2 the deal he gives me the guilt trip that his kid really wants this, but now is al of a sudden available to drive up. Amazing how that wasn't an option before hand......cripes people....
Tell him he better hurry, you got 4 more calls on it this afternoon. lol
c0ncEpT
3/14/2017 1:22pm
I don't hold anything for Craigslist guys. 1st one with cash in hand gets it.

After being stood up by the guy thats "on his way" about 5 times you're totally over it and have no remorse lol
StretchASU
3/14/2017 1:30pm
Cash is king. First one to break out dollars gets it.

When I sold my CR, I had 5-6 people lined up (I sold it too cheap and without that new fangled 2 stroke fanboy tax). First guy I met tried to haggle, told him I was firm and would take my chances with the other potential buyers since it had been listed for 24 hrs. He busted out a stack of cash at that point. I do believe in a little buyer/seller etiquette and messaged each other potential buyer so they weren't left hanging.

People suck at haggling. Its amazing how many friends or gloveboxes just happen to have that extra bit of cash they wanted to joo off the price of the item.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
3/14/2017 1:56pm
I wont hold anything for anybody, first come first serve but I will take peoples number and call them back if its sells before they are suppose to come by.
bodean123
Fantasy
2132nd
3/14/2017 2:08pm
I'll hold a bike if they are willing to send a small non refundable deposit. Otherwise, first person with cash in hand.

Post a reply to: Craigslist Etiquette? Holding Items?

The Latest