Craig out at Geico for 2021

Kelz87
Fantasy
1372nd
6/18/2020 2:02am
philG wrote:
I feel that Freise is a solid Pro who deserves his place at MCR.. he is over delivering, for the talent he has, compared to Hill...
I feel that Freise is a solid Pro who deserves his place at MCR.. he is over delivering, for the talent he has, compared to Hill.

And you can bet he isn't expensive.

Hill has shown flashes of brilliance, but lets be honest , since the first time he stepped on to a 450, every race since has been a disappointment, he has been OK, but he should be better than OK.

Craig has been a solid performer on a 450. He is wasted on 250 IMO.

But only so many seats to go round.
I agree completely. Freise has been pretty consistent and solid.

I was pumped on Hill when he signed at JGR but that faded quick. I feel like it was a slap in their face bidding time on that 250, and barely showing any media support for his team/sponsors. (That night at Nashville when he left the race and was at the bars doing karaoke was in poor taste as well.)

Regardless, I think Freise has earned his keep more so than Hill at MCR
6/18/2020 3:20am
I can see Hill being out at MCR,hes never delivered in the 450s like everyone though.
He even said himself he was a better 450 rider but the results just haven't been there.
Where will he go next?
crowe176
6/18/2020 4:37am
Star racing Yamaha for next year. Will ride a 250
Just heard this on pulp review pod too. Hmmm. Ok

The Shop

Zycki11
6/18/2020 7:17am
crowe176 wrote:
I would like that a lot. He needs a change. Just seems unlikely. But star would have two vets(Craig, Nichols) to help tutor and guide the new kids.
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
6/18/2020 7:30am
Not Bobbys best decision.
yurcho44
6/18/2020 7:32am
crowe176 wrote:
What episode of the Pulp Podcast was that on?
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
6/18/2020 7:36am
J-Wishbone wrote:
I can see Hill being out at MCR,hes never delivered in the 450s like everyone though. He even said himself he was a better 450 rider...
I can see Hill being out at MCR,hes never delivered in the 450s like everyone though.
He even said himself he was a better 450 rider but the results just haven't been there.
Where will he go next?
It's easy to say you are a better 450 rider when you are underachieving on the 250...
aeffertz
6/18/2020 8:28am
yurcho44 wrote:
What episode of the Pulp Podcast was that on?
The SLC6 race review.
Bidirella
6/18/2020 8:51am
philG wrote:
I feel that Freise is a solid Pro who deserves his place at MCR.. he is over delivering, for the talent he has, compared to Hill...
I feel that Freise is a solid Pro who deserves his place at MCR.. he is over delivering, for the talent he has, compared to Hill.

Hill has shown flashes of brilliance, but lets be honest , since the first time he stepped on to a 450, every race since has been a disappointment, he has been OK, but he should be better than OK.

Kelz87 wrote:
I agree completely. Freise has been pretty consistent and solid. I was pumped on Hill when he signed at JGR but that faded quick. I feel...

I was pumped on Hill when he signed at JGR but that faded quick. I feel like it was a slap in their face bidding time on that 250, and barely showing any media support for his team/sponsors. (That night at Nashville when he left the race and was at the bars doing karaoke was in poor taste as well.)

Friese is also a really good test rider. That’s good for the team and also for Honda. That’s a win win. He improved allot over the years and earned his place and respect.

Hill his results might be better and some more raw speed but after fading all those SLC races i see Genova taking Friese over Hill all day right now.

Good guy, Good tester and solid rides and allot of TV time to with Holeshots.
Shawn142
6/18/2020 9:23am
philG wrote:

Kelz87 wrote:
I agree completely. Freise has been pretty consistent and solid. I was pumped on Hill when he signed at JGR but that faded quick. I feel...

Bidirella wrote:
Friese is also a really good test rider. That’s good for the team and also for Honda. That’s a win win. He improved allot over the...
Friese is also a really good test rider. That’s good for the team and also for Honda. That’s a win win. He improved allot over the years and earned his place and respect.

Hill his results might be better and some more raw speed but after fading all those SLC races i see Genova taking Friese over Hill all day right now.

Good guy, Good tester and solid rides and allot of TV time to with Holeshots.
Friese is Mike Genova's guy. I seem to recall him saying as long as Friese is racing he will have a ride at MCR.
Mr. Afterbar
6/18/2020 9:34am
mx 219 wrote:
Not Bobbys best decision.
Not necessarily. Craig is a guy who benefits from more power. Might be good for him.
LungButter
6/18/2020 9:51am
Not necessarily. Craig is a guy who benefits from more power. Might be good for him.
Yeah, I'm sure a couple more horsepower will be what propels him to the top in his 13th try at the feeder class.
Motofinne
6/18/2020 9:59am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2020 10:00am
This might be harsh but...

Craig is making an insane amount of small mistakes that has nothing to do with lack of power in the bike, he is basically making mistakes in the mains like a 18 year old rookie. Not like a 28 year old veteran. Nowhere near up to par.

He has had a bit of bad luck too (Ferrandis incident) but that doesn't excuse the bad results that are down to his own doings. It would be interesting to see him on a Yamaha 250 but i think it's time for him to move up. MCR would be a perfect ride for him as Justin Hills replacement.
Lastander
6/18/2020 10:08am
Motofinne wrote:
This might be harsh but... Craig is making an insane amount of small mistakes that has nothing to do with lack of power in the bike...
This might be harsh but...

Craig is making an insane amount of small mistakes that has nothing to do with lack of power in the bike, he is basically making mistakes in the mains like a 18 year old rookie. Not like a 28 year old veteran. Nowhere near up to par.

He has had a bit of bad luck too (Ferrandis incident) but that doesn't excuse the bad results that are down to his own doings. It would be interesting to see him on a Yamaha 250 but i think it's time for him to move up. MCR would be a perfect ride for him as Justin Hills replacement.
Hill will outperform Craig at any given day.
CC might have one of those ”Hill” races and be brilliant right away, but if he cant keep it on 2 wheels and out of harms way on a 250? He’s effed on a 4fiddy
mx_563
6/18/2020 10:10am
It can be a psychological burden to ride on a team owned by your father in law. You are aware that a perception exists wherein you are thought to be undeserving. A few bad results can begin to snowball. Historically, the "naturally talented" guys seem to be more prone to psychological affects whereas the "grinders" tend to be more headstrong. It might not be the extra hp of the Yamaha that helps Christian as much as just stepping outside the shadow of his current "arrangement".
Just a theory.

LungButter
6/18/2020 10:25am
Lastander wrote:
Hill will outperform Craig at any given day. CC might have one of those ”Hill” races and be brilliant right away, but if he cant keep...
CC might have one of those ”Hill” races and be brilliant right away, but if he cant keep it on 2 wheels and out of harms way on a 250? He’s effed on a 4fiddy
Craig already has a pile of top 10s and several top 5s on a 450 after only doing select races. Hill doesn't have that after 2 seasons on a full ride.
YZ-MTB
6/18/2020 11:01am
Lastander wrote:
Hill will outperform Craig at any given day. CC might have one of those ”Hill” races and be brilliant right away, but if he cant keep...
LungButter wrote:
Craig already has a pile of top 10s and several top 5s on a 450 after only doing select races. Hill doesn't have that after 2...
Craig already has a pile of top 10s and several top 5s on a 450 after only doing select races. Hill doesn't have that after 2 seasons on a full ride.
https://racerxonline.com/rider/justin-hill/races

Hill has 11 top 10 SX finishes between this year and last year, and 1 top 5.
LungButter
6/18/2020 2:31pm
YZ-MTB wrote:

One top 5 after 2 years on top tier equipment, one year being the premier rider on a Factory Team. Awesome.

Craig on the other hand had multiple top 5s while jumping in as a fill in rider.

Not a huge Craig fan but.... Craig > Hill

I'm a North West guy, born and bred....I'd love to cheer for Hill but at the end of the day them boys are just a little short on the grit it takes to be a top tier guy week in and week out. Sorry if that hurts your feelings, but it's the truth.
YZ-MTB
6/18/2020 4:46pm
YZ-MTB wrote:

LungButter wrote:
One top 5 after 2 years on top tier equipment, one year being the premier rider on a Factory Team. Awesome. Craig on the other hand...
One top 5 after 2 years on top tier equipment, one year being the premier rider on a Factory Team. Awesome.

Craig on the other hand had multiple top 5s while jumping in as a fill in rider.

Not a huge Craig fan but.... Craig > Hill

I'm a North West guy, born and bred....I'd love to cheer for Hill but at the end of the day them boys are just a little short on the grit it takes to be a top tier guy week in and week out. Sorry if that hurts your feelings, but it's the truth.
I don't recall posting anything about my feelings. As a matter of fact, all I did was post Hill's results. You can read into that whatever you want.

However, since you seem concerned about my feelings, I'll say that I "FEEL" that I agree with you that based on past performance in the 450 class, Hill isn't a "top tier" guy week in and week out.
And by "top tier", I am assuming you mean consistently battling for podiums, wins, and championships. But, by that definition, an SX only deal on MCR isn't a top tier ride. No disrespect to MCR at all, as I think they are a very well run team, on very good equipment, they likely just lack the budget to hire a "top tier" title contender.

I just dont think Hill's results for MCR this year are out of line with expectations for that team and what they are likely paying him. Hill earned 199 points this year so far compared to 233 for Malcolm and 147 for Friese. Hill was consistently trending in the right direction before the break.

Hill's 2020 Results in 450 SX - 11, 11, 12, 12, 8, 9, 5, 6, 6, 9, 16, 10, 15, 13, 14, 12.
Craig's 2020 results this year in 250W - 3, 22, 22, 17, 8, 10

In a "You're only as good as your last race" industry I dont think you can argue that Craig meets the top tier definition either considering Hill's results are in a deep 450 field and Craig's are against half the competition.

Hill and Craig both show flashes of top level talent at times, but neither seem to live up to that full potential (for different reasons) week in and week out for a whole season.

Personally, I like them both and I hope to see both of them racing in the 450 class next year.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
6/18/2020 4:53pm
Weston Peick
Would like to know how weston is doing and what he is up to.
Max D
6/18/2020 7:02pm
CM_84 wrote:
I thought Hill was fantastic this year up until the break. Although very disappointing when he was on JGR. I agree Friese has been good though...
I thought Hill was fantastic this year up until the break.
Although very disappointing when he was on JGR.
I agree Friese has been good though. his improvement over the past 5 years has been fantastic
I think Hill rides fine also. I think he's where he belongs. Basically a Top 10 rider. I see nothing wrong with that.
LappedU
6/19/2020 3:14pm
nskerb wrote:
Interesting if true, it’ll be cool to watch him on a full season on the big bikes!
Haha, he's never made a full season ever!
mxmaniac
6/19/2020 3:38pm
ML512 wrote:
JGR riders: Christian Craig Ben LaMay Jimmy Decotis Cade Autenrith Alex Martin Chad Reed James Stewart Les Smith Enzo Lopes Josh Summey Josh Hansen Eric Sorby...
JGR riders:
Christian Craig
Ben LaMay
Jimmy Decotis
Cade Autenrith
Alex Martin
Chad Reed
James Stewart
Les Smith
Enzo Lopes
Josh Summey
Josh Hansen
Eric Sorby
Josh Grant
Justin Brayton
Davi Millsaps
Freddie Noren
Joey Savatgy
Weston Peick
Phil Nicoletti
Justin Barcia
Justin Hill
Travis Preston
Justin Bogle
Kyle Cunningham
Kyle Chisholm
Cody Cooper
Gavin Faith
Michael Byrne
Vince Friese
Broc Tickle
Kyle Peters

And I’m still missing a few...

Daniel Reardon from memory rode a JGR 450?
brimx153
6/19/2020 3:56pm
CM_84 wrote:
I thought Hill was fantastic this year up until the break. Although very disappointing when he was on JGR. I agree Friese has been good though...
I thought Hill was fantastic this year up until the break.
Although very disappointing when he was on JGR.
I agree Friese has been good though. his improvement over the past 5 years has been fantastic
Max D wrote:
I think Hill rides fine also. I think he's where he belongs. Basically a Top 10 rider. I see nothing wrong with that.
Fantastic this year ? He has be ok this year . And remember it came from himself that he will be a championship contender in the 450 class. But then it was the jgr bikes fault, wait till he gets on the honda .he ll be winning races .
6/19/2020 5:04pm
Not hating on Craig and I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but as a Yamaha fan, I don’t want him on those bikes. Seems there would be a good possibility of some internal conflict based on the connection to his current team. I don’t know how Star could be confident that they would get his best effort. They should go after a younger, more hungry rider who is on an upward trajectory.
Johnny Ringo
6/19/2020 5:10pm
hamncheeze wrote:
I dare you to compile a list of every rider who's ridden for JGR. That would be a task!
GuyB wrote:
Just to get you started... (No, I can't rattle them all off.) Josh Summey Josh Hansen Davi Millsaps Josh Grant James Stewart Christian Craig Vince Friese...
Just to get you started... (No, I can't rattle them all off.)

Josh Summey
Josh Hansen
Davi Millsaps
Josh Grant
James Stewart
Christian Craig
Vince Friese
Justin Brayton
Jimmy DeCotis
Kyle Peters
Alex Martin
Chad Reed
Gavin Gracyk
6/19/2020 5:15pm
I personally dont believe MCR should resign Hill. I think over the last few seasons we have seen the extent of his potential realized, and the fact of the matter is that he's a solid 10-12th place guy who's seldomly capable of improving his finish. Normally, that would be enough to merit a spot on a good team like MCR, but with the upcoming additions of some very talented rookies and the scarcity of "good rides" available, I would rather see one of those rookies take his spot....and that doesn't even take into consideration the poor reputation he has earned over the years of being difficult to work with, undisciplined, and lacking in work ethic. I think nearly the same situation, minus the poor reputation, applies to Craig as well; and as a team owner, he would be a pretty difficult person to sign. Guess all we can do is wait and see.
yurcho44
6/19/2020 5:36pm
Not hating on Craig and I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but as a Yamaha fan, I don’t want him on those bikes. Seems there would...
Not hating on Craig and I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but as a Yamaha fan, I don’t want him on those bikes. Seems there would be a good possibility of some internal conflict based on the connection to his current team. I don’t know how Star could be confident that they would get his best effort. They should go after a younger, more hungry rider who is on an upward trajectory.
His brother works for Star Yamaha I think. I think the switch to Yamaha would be a good one for CC. He has the speed and talent to run upfront and win. It wasn’t too long ago he beat Webb on the 250s.
FerCzD
6/19/2020 6:13pm
I believe Hill already re-signed with MCR and that's why he is just mailing it these last races.

Post a reply to: Craig out at Geico for 2021

The Latest