Cox fixes the MX of Nations

RY4N37
9/4/2013 11:26am
Why does the MXdN need fixing anyway? Its the best motocross event in the world, I go virtually every year to see if anyone can beat the Americans (which hasn't happened anywhere near as much as i would like it to). I do however have a lot of respect for the top American guys and seeing them go head to head with the top GP riders is something special. Altough you would still get these battles if it was USA v Europe, it really wouldn't be the same if it wasn't run in the current format, which works great. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Toste
Fantasy
794th
9/4/2013 11:46am Edited Date/Time 9/4/2013 11:48am
I think taking it down to 2-rider teams is a simpler fix (assuming one is needed at all).

Advantages:

1. Matches existing GP and AMA class structures better (1 rider in MX1, 1 rider in MX2).

2. Cheaper to field a team.

3. Narrows the gap between USA and everyone else. The perennial contenders (Belgium & France) would be stronger, but the next tier of teams would benefit even more. Italy (Cairoli/Lupino), Great Britain (Searle/Deano), Germany (Nagl/Roczen), Netherlands (Herlings/Coldenhoff), etc. suddently get a lot more competitive as duos rather than trios.
APLMAN99
9/4/2013 11:54am
mxpappy711 wrote:
If the issue is our giant pool of riders, why aren't we winning the ISDE every year too? Not trying to stir the pot but you...
If the issue is our giant pool of riders, why aren't we winning the ISDE every year too? Not trying to stir the pot but you would think off road teams would produce the same results as MX teams. Trials teams? Don't think its our population. We get our asses handed to us regularly in those events. Maybe luck?
Before you start flaming, I have a lot of respect for all racers worldwide.
The ISDE should be exponentially harder for the smaller nations to compete in, if population was truly a major factor. If a 3 rider team is difficult to field, a 6 rider team should be almost impossible.

Was population the big factor when Belgium was absolutely dominating the Motocross and Trophee des Nations? With Belgium being one of the smaller countries competing, how could something like that happen?

The "fixes" really are solutions without a problem.
newmann
9/4/2013 12:08pm
125, 250,Open....now that would fix a lot of dumb shit brought on by the powers that be. One rider from each team on a different size bike. Sounds too weird to work.Whistling

The Shop

1-forty-8
9/4/2013 12:20pm
newmann wrote:
125, 250,Open....now that would fix a lot of dumb shit brought on by the powers that be. One rider from each team on a different size...
125, 250,Open....now that would fix a lot of dumb shit brought on by the powers that be. One rider from each team on a different size bike. Sounds too weird to work.Whistling
I like this idea, 125, 250f and 450f class, but I would go one further and give each class an age requirement, say 15 - 18 for the 125 guy, 19 - 29 for the 250f guy and 30+ for the 450 guy.. It would be like a past, present and future race. Imagine USA's team, say AC on the 125, Tomac on the 250 and RC on the 450.. I think that would be quite interesting.

But yeah, keep it the same!!! Smile
Flip109
9/4/2013 12:24pm
I kinda like the two rider idea. But its also good how it is. I just wish they could get live HD television for it. I'd tune in and have a party that day!

Anywayz...... TO FUCKING BAD RV CAN"T GO! Worst shit I heard all year besides reed maybe riding a damn pumpkin. SMH Laughing
M-M
9/4/2013 12:28pm
I had a quick scan of "Coxs Fix". Leave the Mxdn/Mxon f*** alone.

The Europe Vs USA should be a completely different event!
1-forty-8
9/4/2013 12:30pm
M-M wrote:
I had a quick scan of "Coxs Fix". Leave the Mxdn/Mxon f*** alone.

The Europe Vs USA should be a completely different event!
x2
steed 2.0
9/4/2013 12:33pm
lumpy790 wrote:
Want to make it more fair for the rest of the world? Most other countries are small like each of our states and have a small...
Want to make it more fair for the rest of the world? Most other countries are small like each of our states and have a small pool of riders to choose from making it difficult to send 3 strong contenders.

Make Each USA state send a team.... but Cal & Florida will still be hard to beat.
place of birth not place of residence
M-M
9/4/2013 12:40pm
Probably isn't enough time in the year to do both anyway. Either one or the other, I'd choose the MXDN/MXON.

I don't want to be cheering for the Europe. British all the way!
Coyote
9/4/2013 1:10pm
lumpy790 wrote:
Want to make it more fair for the rest of the world? Most other countries are small like each of our states and have a small...
Want to make it more fair for the rest of the world? Most other countries are small like each of our states and have a small pool of riders to choose from making it difficult to send 3 strong contenders.

Make Each USA state send a team.... but Cal & Florida will still be hard to beat.
Yep. I heard last year how those guys in Florida really know how to ride the sand........
TeamGreen wrote:
Then I guess we should have sent RC, JS & Mookie!
times frikkin 1000....10 friggin guys, bikes, mechanics, support people, get real!!!!
newmann
9/4/2013 1:18pm
Coyote wrote:
times frikkin 1000....10 friggin guys, bikes, mechanics, support people, get real!!!!
Can you imagine what this pic would have looked like? Nerd would have had to get a bigger camera.

newmann
9/4/2013 1:19pm
Yep. I heard last year how those guys in Florida really know how to ride the sand........
TeamGreen wrote:
Then I guess we should have sent RC, JS & Mookie!
Coyote wrote:
You left out the agents, manfriends and hanger ons.
ayearinmx
9/4/2013 1:37pm
the junior world championships has an interesting formula, but that rewards individual results and i know how some of the older, grumpier ama supporters get riled up when that gets mentioned (especially Everts' last race) so it probably wouldn't go down too well

that has 3x classes (65,85,125), as many riders from as many countries can enter each class, top 40 qualify and go through to race. Two races, with the lowest score winning the individual award (shock horror), and then the lowest class results of each nation counting towards the team event

but personally, i don't think the MXoN needs fixing
GIwasB4
9/4/2013 1:54pm
newmann wrote:
125, 250,Open....now that would fix a lot of dumb shit brought on by the powers that be. One rider from each team on a different size...
Best idea I've seen.
Although are there actually any pro racers that could ride a 125?
What is left manufacture wise? Yamaha and KTM?
Oh well, that would never work.
PressPassP
9/4/2013 4:01pm
mxpappy711 wrote:
If the issue is our giant pool of riders, why aren't we winning the ISDE every year too? Not trying to stir the pot but you...
If the issue is our giant pool of riders, why aren't we winning the ISDE every year too? Not trying to stir the pot but you would think off road teams would produce the same results as MX teams. Trials teams? Don't think its our population. We get our asses handed to us regularly in those events. Maybe luck?
APLMAN99 wrote:
The ISDE should be exponentially harder for the smaller nations to compete in, if population was truly a major factor. If a 3 rider team is...
The ISDE should be exponentially harder for the smaller nations to compete in, if population was truly a major factor. If a 3 rider team is difficult to field, a 6 rider team should be almost impossible.

Was population the big factor when Belgium was absolutely dominating the Motocross and Trophee des Nations? With Belgium being one of the smaller countries competing, how could something like that happen?

Yes that's often been brought up,some excel at diferrent disciplines but I think that might well change sometime soon,Zach's taken to it really well,like Brown has,this year should be interesting,lots of ex GP riders in there actually

Belgium were dominating the Trophee Des Nations during those years helped Indeed by De coster and Robert,probably the world's best 2 riders in the world at the time,but as just they dissapeared from the sport,the growing MX nation of the USA joined the party and look what happened,4 fast guys like that year in year out shows nobody can really compete with that strength in depth

AMA 450 class 2nd/3rd and AMA 250 class 1st is an awesome team,there's always a great 3rd rider,the whole GP series gets divided into smaller teams of countries and will always struggle to put up 3 riders anywhere near the standard of the best the AMA has to offer,with virtually the whole series to pick from ,I guess there are only so many good rides/teams to go around too in the GPs,but the event will always have upsets

But that's just the way it is no excuses,the evolvement of the sport in the US has been awesome and the event always has the biggest anticipation of year,truly special,I don't think it necessarily needs much changing,but I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking a Trans-AM series would be the ultimateSmile
loftyair
9/4/2013 7:36pm
Watching the best is always magic, just happens most the best guys right now are usa-based. Being an american, I love seeing that we win most time, but even I was happy for Albertyn and Langston. It might take me a few years to get used to the 'foreigners' doing so good, but after a while I like them almost as much!
Oh, the best fix would be banning 4-strokes! They suck! hahah
TeamGreen
9/4/2013 9:40pm
125?

250?

500?

What are these...classifications for bullets?

I've never heard of such a thing.

Pffffft, next thing you know some genius will want Bob Hannah to ride a 125.

Better, yet...someone will suggest we just send a bunch of Honda riders.

Morans
APLMAN99
9/4/2013 10:20pm
mxpappy711 wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
The ISDE should be exponentially harder for the smaller nations to compete in, if population was truly a major factor. If a 3 rider team is...

PressPassP wrote:
Yes that's often been brought up,some excel at diferrent disciplines but I think that might well change sometime soon,Zach's taken to it really well,like Brown has,this...
Yes that's often been brought up,some excel at diferrent disciplines but I think that might well change sometime soon,Zach's taken to it really well,like Brown has,this year should be interesting,lots of ex GP riders in there actually

Belgium were dominating the Trophee Des Nations during those years helped Indeed by De coster and Robert,probably the world's best 2 riders in the world at the time,but as just they dissapeared from the sport,the growing MX nation of the USA joined the party and look what happened,4 fast guys like that year in year out shows nobody can really compete with that strength in depth

AMA 450 class 2nd/3rd and AMA 250 class 1st is an awesome team,there's always a great 3rd rider,the whole GP series gets divided into smaller teams of countries and will always struggle to put up 3 riders anywhere near the standard of the best the AMA has to offer,with virtually the whole series to pick from ,I guess there are only so many good rides/teams to go around too in the GPs,but the event will always have upsets

But that's just the way it is no excuses,the evolvement of the sport in the US has been awesome and the event always has the biggest anticipation of year,truly special,I don't think it necessarily needs much changing,but I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking a Trans-AM series would be the ultimateSmile
Thing is, it most likely had not all that much to do with the population, but rather the racing style and the concentrated talents due to the best US riders not heading to the GPs. If they would have started heading over in decent numbers, it's likely that the AMA series wouldn't have developed the way it has.
GIwasB4
9/4/2013 11:20pm
Crush wrote:
mystique...
Thanks Crush, you are correct.
I did not mean to bag on SteveO-I actually agree with him on a lot of his issues that he makes others.
This one no-there is nothing wrong with a tried and true system.
EXCEPT! Get us worldwide freaking live TV coverage!!
How hard is that?
Remember Steve Wise-ABC Wide World of Sports Superbikers?
The last MX of Nations I was at was 2007 Budds Creek-That was freaking motocross-regardless of which country won-that was our sport at it's pinnacle.
We need that again.
Don't change it.
Have you been to a outdoor national in UT or CA lately? THEY SUCK.
willie838
9/4/2013 11:31pm
hard enough to get 3 riders to go, now teams are going to risk 10 guys?

keep it as it is.
PressPassP
9/5/2013 3:11am
APLMAN99 wrote:

PressPassP wrote:
Yes that's often been brought up,some excel at diferrent disciplines but I think that might well change sometime soon,Zach's taken to it really well,like Brown has,this...

APLMAN99 wrote:
Thing is, it most likely had not all that much to do with the population, but rather the racing style and the concentrated talents due to...
Thing is, it most likely had not all that much to do with the population, but rather the racing style and the concentrated talents due to the best US riders not heading to the GPs. If they would have started heading over in decent numbers, it's likely that the AMA series wouldn't have developed the way it has.
Euros racing in the US over time,since those Trans-AM days have no doubt brought on US MX,I think the participation population growing so much over the years has swelled into providing extremely healthy competition for the AMA series

As its grown and the money around it also with SX taking off as it did,there isn't so much incentive for top riders to move away from their own country and families with no financial gain with a challenge that would probably be just as tough

At the end of the day as you say the talent is concentrated to around 95% of American riders in the series,whereas the GPs have always been a mish-mash of a multitude of Nations from all over parts of Europe and beyond,the 2 differences have a great plus point in making each Championship unique,which incidentally adds to the charm of the MXdN
JLong
9/5/2013 4:53am
Weed is a powerful drug.

Post a reply to: Cox fixes the MX of Nations

The Latest