Covington back to MXGP ?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/7/2019 8:07 AM

Heard on french tv that it is a strong possibilty, was he not under a 2 years contract ?

|

7/7/2019 8:18 AM

Covington:I think I want to go back to Europe.
Hewitt:Do you need help packing?

|

7/7/2019 9:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/7/2019 9:11 AM

Little easier to get better results in the MX2 GP series, but I do think he had some health issues holding him back. None of it was good for his confidence, and it was hard for fans to watch. I feel bad for him.

|

7/7/2019 9:25 AM

isn't he over the age limit for MX2?

|

My third and last attempt to establish account on this website.

I am really proud to be:
- Vitard
- Filthy Euro
- Life-long Zook fan - even when i poop-talk about it a lot; cuz mofos in Hamamatsu are crazy

7/7/2019 9:27 AM

MX2 in GPs is for riders up to maximum 23 y/o, isn't it? Is he riding MX1 next year? On which team?

(If rumors are true)

|

7/7/2019 9:28 AM

He is over age limit to MX2 and there are not really open seats in MXGP teams. If he was healthy he would have been in top5 this summer.

|

7/7/2019 9:42 AM

tek14 wrote:

He is over age limit to MX2 and there are not really open seats in MXGP teams. If he was healthy he would have been in top5 this summer.

If he was a top 5 guy, a team will pick him.up.

|

7/7/2019 9:55 AM

Not many MXGP spots left for year next.. The only thing that comes in my mind is when his dad with some monster money comes in to play...

He better gets his stuff right because he was always the better of Lawrence and he is doing just good and solid over here

|

7/7/2019 9:57 AM

He's young and brings American interest to the GP's. If Covington wants to return, Luongo will find a home for him in MX1. Mon$ter would likely provide "assistance" in finding necessary funding. Just my opinion, mind you.

I'm certain he expected a different outcome in 2019, as he has the talent to be in the mix. I am also hopeful he gives it one more try stateside before pulling stakes.

|

“Men, we are surrounded by the enemy. We have the greatest opportunity ever presented an army. We can attack in any direction.”
― General Anthony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne, while addressing troops at Bastogne during the Battle
of the Bulge.

7/7/2019 9:58 AM

tek14 wrote:

He is over age limit to MX2 and there are not really open seats in MXGP teams. If he was healthy he would have been in top5 this summer.

In MX2, perhaps.

In the US, it’s hard to definitively pencil him in any higher than 10th in the current standings. He would have probably had a few top 5 moto finishes, but if his consistency was anything like in MX2 it’s logical that he’d probably be somewhere around 10-15 right now if healthy. All those guys are incredibly fast at that point, and I don’t mean that to be insulting in any way.

|

7/7/2019 10:01 AM

He's delusional if he thinks he would do better in MXGP (not MX2)

|

7/7/2019 10:08 AM

crusty_xx wrote:

He's delusional if he thinks he would do better in MXGP (not MX2)

Depends on your definition of “do better”.

If he can get a ride, then he’d probably “do better” fighting for top 10s on a good weekend in MXGP than hoping to qualify for a regional SX race, if someone was even willing to put him out there. And as an outdoor-only specialist, can’t believe he’d be able to make much money from a team just for the summer.

So he actually could be “doing better “ in MXGP than some of his other options.

|

7/7/2019 10:12 AM

crusty_xx wrote:

He's delusional if he thinks he would do better in MXGP (not MX2)

I agree and next year the mxgp class will be the best of the best in recent years.

|

7/7/2019 10:46 AM

He'd get eaten alive, just like he is now, when he's been able to race in the USA, if he were in MX2 now, with the injuries / illness , or whatever his ailment is, currently.

Thomas was never a great force in MX2, though, in his years there he did get a few more ( 6?) GP wins than ZO. Zach, managed but the one MX2 GP win, and a (fair) few 2nds and 3rds, so, Thomas did do better there, and Zach has really gone ahead in leaps and bounds, since heading home. So, there was hope for a reasonable showing from Covington once he got back the the US, but his woes have been substantial. Don't think I'm a hater of either - indeed, I followed Zachs exploits avidly, and, still do.

And, as for the MXGP class? Not a hope in hell, healthy or not, for Covington. Not without a massive improvement in his performances / skills. Zach, for example, stated openly when it came to the idiotic, piss poor age 'push up / push out', that he didn't want to / was not ready to go up to the 450 class, at that time. Thankfully, he could go back to the USA to continue his career. Luongo's BS rules, delivered another future champion to the US. Luongo's such a effing drongo.

But, a previous poster has a point - his Monster 'in' ( I assume most here know his Dad is / was a higher up within Monster) might just get him a job. It is, afterall, a Monster branded series. Luongo and Monster wanting a US rider? Perhaps, but, a non performing US rider really would be of no benefit to 'his' series. I think Villo's attempt might have brought that dawning upon the scumbag.

I hope for Thomas to get through this trying period, and get back on track with his career, in the USA. His Team owner, has shown faith in one of his riders before that had problems, and that turned out really well for both the Team Owner, and the Rider, didn't it!

|

7/9/2019 1:27 AM

He's staying in the states for the '20 season, if results don't go the way he wants and what is expected of him he won't be on the Rockstar team that's a fact.
Personally I don't think he'll head back over to Europe, if anything it's more likely he'll do the '21 season as a privateer effort with Monster backing.

|

7/9/2019 1:44 AM

Honestly MXGP in 2020 is not an option by my opinion cause there is no space left even for the front guys in MX2 leaving the class after this season.

I don't see Thomas doing any better next year if he really has EB virus. Maybe 2021 is a year to focus on for him but the teams won't wait.

The "What have you done for me lately?" mentality is present within the industry, sadly.

|

My third and last attempt to establish account on this website.

I am really proud to be:
- Vitard
- Filthy Euro
- Life-long Zook fan - even when i poop-talk about it a lot; cuz mofos in Hamamatsu are crazy

7/9/2019 1:32 PM

crusty_xx wrote:

He's delusional if he thinks he would do better in MXGP (not MX2)

He'd definitely fare better in mxgp or mx2 than the AMA 250 series even indoors or outdoors.
. Hunter Lawrence has shown outdoors that though everyone promoting mxgp as superior to AMA outdoors, claiming Lawrence would run away with the AMA outdoor 250 title since after all Hunter Lawrence dominated the AMA likes of Tomac, Barcia, (even besting them easily on his 250 in October at Red Bud mxdn ) - so since it was said last fall by the majority of mxgp fans that their series has better 250 riders than America's top 450 riders , well certainly Lawrence should have swept the AMA 250 outdoors but yet to have an overall win halfway thru the series including just now failing to make the podium again at Red Bud.
Anyway point being is Covington couldn't even beat privateers in ama 250 Supercross this year and based on Lawrence's so so performance outdoors ama 250 at the moment (Lawrence is healthy too) , I don't think it's so safe to say that the mxgp series 450 or 250 class is so superior to the AMA outdoors classes of each right?

If so then why isn't Lawrence at least winning a few races outdoors against a weaker than years past 250 ama field right now since Lawrence was in October touted here as superior to Barcia , Tomac , Plessenger?

Back to the guy from Alabama that sounds like he has a Californian accent crossed with a euro accent, T Covington, I'd think he'd have a better chance in Europe again when he failed to even beat privateers to get to SX mains on a factory bike -. There's no way he has the talent for SX and would be better suited for MXGP , either class , MX1 due to the age limit he's reached, since even outdoors we can see that Lawrence for example who podiums at mxdn motos can't podium hardly at all thru half a season now against a weaker than usual 250 ama outdoor field, I don't think the US outdoors field is so weak as mxdn makes it appear.
.
Especially for those riders less coordinated and without technical skills that fail Supercross, it's best to try their luck at pure outdoors euro style where they at least have a chance.

Look at RJ Hampshire for instance he never won ab ama Moto before but won the USGP overall against a strong mx2 field two years ago in Florida. Hampshire who couldn't win in the US gets his first win at a USGP where he was a 7-10 place ama 250 guy all that summer and he bests the mxgp mx2 field getting his first pro win sweeping the USGP.

Heck even Forker as a rookie beat JH in a USGP Moto in Charlotte, which Webb came from last place to win.

The 250 US outdoor field isn't so weak just as the 250 MXGP riders that podium at mxdn as we see at the USGP events normally and with Lawrence in the AMA now, it seems the mxdn is a one off event in showing the true talent level which makes sense as it is a one off event, literally!

|

7/9/2019 1:42 PM

Maybe he can get a ride in Canada.

|

7/9/2019 1:48 PM

XR75_Flamethrower wrote:

He'd definitely fare better in mxgp or mx2 than the AMA 250 series even indoors or outdoors.
. Hunter Lawrence has shown outdoors that though everyone promoting mxgp as superior to AMA outdoors, claiming Lawrence would run away with the AMA outdoor 250 title since after all Hunter Lawrence dominated the AMA likes of Tomac, Barcia, (even besting them easily on his 250 in October at Red Bud mxdn ) - so since it was said last fall by the majority of mxgp fans that their series has better 250 riders than America's top 450 riders , well certainly Lawrence should have swept the AMA 250 outdoors but yet to have an overall win halfway thru the series including just now failing to make the podium again at Red Bud.
Anyway point being is Covington couldn't even beat privateers in ama 250 Supercross this year and based on Lawrence's so so performance outdoors ama 250 at the moment (Lawrence is healthy too) , I don't think it's so safe to say that the mxgp series 450 or 250 class is so superior to the AMA outdoors classes of each right?

If so then why isn't Lawrence at least winning a few races outdoors against a weaker than years past 250 ama field right now since Lawrence was in October touted here as superior to Barcia , Tomac , Plessenger?

Back to the guy from Alabama that sounds like he has a Californian accent crossed with a euro accent, T Covington, I'd think he'd have a better chance in Europe again when he failed to even beat privateers to get to SX mains on a factory bike -. There's no way he has the talent for SX and would be better suited for MXGP , either class , MX1 due to the age limit he's reached, since even outdoors we can see that Lawrence for example who podiums at mxdn motos can't podium hardly at all thru half a season now against a weaker than usual 250 ama outdoor field, I don't think the US outdoors field is so weak as mxdn makes it appear.
.
Especially for those riders less coordinated and without technical skills that fail Supercross, it's best to try their luck at pure outdoors euro style where they at least have a chance.

Look at RJ Hampshire for instance he never won ab ama Moto before but won the USGP overall against a strong mx2 field two years ago in Florida. Hampshire who couldn't win in the US gets his first win at a USGP where he was a 7-10 place ama 250 guy all that summer and he bests the mxgp mx2 field getting his first pro win sweeping the USGP.

Heck even Forker as a rookie beat JH in a USGP Moto in Charlotte, which Webb came from last place to win.

The 250 US outdoor field isn't so weak just as the 250 MXGP riders that podium at mxdn as we see at the USGP events normally and with Lawrence in the AMA now, it seems the mxdn is a one off event in showing the true talent level which makes sense as it is a one off event, literally!

Hunter Lawrence really must be the most hyped rider of all time. He is expected to dominate and win races for some reason and is always brought up to compare the series.

2017: MX2 9th overall. 1 moto win, no GP wins.
2018: MX2 9th overall. No moto wins, no GP wins.

Even Weigandt in the live broadcasts are hyping Hunter as a "multiple race winner" and "title contender".

Very talented and sure has some brilliance of speed no doubt, but a title contender he was not.

|

7/9/2019 2:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2019 2:18 PM

Only a very few delusional Australian and Europeans thought that Lawrence would 'runaway with, or sweep the US Nationals'. That's a foolish thing, and equally foolish in being used to denigrate the MX2 class.

He sure as hell didn't do so : 'runaway with or sweep', in the GPs. He got 9th in the MX2 class.

Yes, he certainly stepped up in the last 2 MXDNs, that's for sure. Quite the thing, quite the effort, at a monumentally pressurized event.

I'm not knocking my fellow Australian, I think he has quite the future if he avoids injury, and, he's not the usual "you know" speech patterned Australian in an interview. He's very articulate, intelligent and entertaining. I also wish a few here would back off on their expectations for his brother, Jett. Just let him be, blokes, he truly is , a kid.

I'm constantly surprised at Weigandt's getting Lawrence's GP results wrong - that's down to him, not Hunter. He's been 'hyped' by your own, usually fairly well informed commentator on your screens.

|

7/9/2019 2:38 PM

crusty_xx wrote:

He's delusional if he thinks he would do better in MXGP (not MX2)

XR75_Flamethrower wrote:

He'd definitely fare better in mxgp or mx2 than the AMA 250 series even indoors or outdoors.
. Hunter Lawrence has shown outdoors that though everyone promoting mxgp as superior to AMA outdoors, claiming Lawrence would run away with the AMA outdoor 250 title since after all Hunter Lawrence dominated the AMA likes of Tomac, Barcia, (even besting them easily on his 250 in October at Red Bud mxdn ) - so since it was said last fall by the majority of mxgp fans that their series has better 250 riders than America's top 450 riders , well certainly Lawrence should have swept the AMA 250 outdoors but yet to have an overall win halfway thru the series including just now failing to make the podium again at Red Bud.
Anyway point being is Covington couldn't even beat privateers in ama 250 Supercross this year and based on Lawrence's so so performance outdoors ama 250 at the moment (Lawrence is healthy too) , I don't think it's so safe to say that the mxgp series 450 or 250 class is so superior to the AMA outdoors classes of each right?

If so then why isn't Lawrence at least winning a few races outdoors against a weaker than years past 250 ama field right now since Lawrence was in October touted here as superior to Barcia , Tomac , Plessenger?

Back to the guy from Alabama that sounds like he has a Californian accent crossed with a euro accent, T Covington, I'd think he'd have a better chance in Europe again when he failed to even beat privateers to get to SX mains on a factory bike -. There's no way he has the talent for SX and would be better suited for MXGP , either class , MX1 due to the age limit he's reached, since even outdoors we can see that Lawrence for example who podiums at mxdn motos can't podium hardly at all thru half a season now against a weaker than usual 250 ama outdoor field, I don't think the US outdoors field is so weak as mxdn makes it appear.
.
Especially for those riders less coordinated and without technical skills that fail Supercross, it's best to try their luck at pure outdoors euro style where they at least have a chance.

Look at RJ Hampshire for instance he never won ab ama Moto before but won the USGP overall against a strong mx2 field two years ago in Florida. Hampshire who couldn't win in the US gets his first win at a USGP where he was a 7-10 place ama 250 guy all that summer and he bests the mxgp mx2 field getting his first pro win sweeping the USGP.

Heck even Forker as a rookie beat JH in a USGP Moto in Charlotte, which Webb came from last place to win.

The 250 US outdoor field isn't so weak just as the 250 MXGP riders that podium at mxdn as we see at the USGP events normally and with Lawrence in the AMA now, it seems the mxdn is a one off event in showing the true talent level which makes sense as it is a one off event, literally!

I didn't compare the two series nor did I say anything about past mxdn races. Not sure why you write half a book there.

Also I don't quite get the context why you bring Lawrence in there. Obviously a guy that finished the last 2 MX2 seasons with half as many points as the champion should have never even be considered a title threat in the US.

MXGP is not going to be easier than 250 outdoors. Neither is the AMA 450 class. The only thing that would be easier is MX2 but he has aged out there.

|

7/9/2019 2:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2019 10:57 AM

XR75_Flamethrower wrote:

He'd definitely fare better in mxgp or mx2 than the AMA 250 series even indoors or outdoors.
. Hunter Lawrence has shown outdoors that though everyone promoting mxgp as superior to AMA outdoors, claiming Lawrence would run away with the AMA outdoor 250 title since after all Hunter Lawrence dominated the AMA likes of Tomac, Barcia, (even besting them easily on his 250 in October at Red Bud mxdn ) - so since it was said last fall by the majority of mxgp fans that their series has better 250 riders than America's top 450 riders , well certainly Lawrence should have swept the AMA 250 outdoors but yet to have an overall win halfway thru the series including just now failing to make the podium again at Red Bud.
Anyway point being is Covington couldn't even beat privateers in ama 250 Supercross this year and based on Lawrence's so so performance outdoors ama 250 at the moment (Lawrence is healthy too) , I don't think it's so safe to say that the mxgp series 450 or 250 class is so superior to the AMA outdoors classes of each right?

If so then why isn't Lawrence at least winning a few races outdoors against a weaker than years past 250 ama field right now since Lawrence was in October touted here as superior to Barcia , Tomac , Plessenger?

Back to the guy from Alabama that sounds like he has a Californian accent crossed with a euro accent, T Covington, I'd think he'd have a better chance in Europe again when he failed to even beat privateers to get to SX mains on a factory bike -. There's no way he has the talent for SX and would be better suited for MXGP , either class , MX1 due to the age limit he's reached, since even outdoors we can see that Lawrence for example who podiums at mxdn motos can't podium hardly at all thru half a season now against a weaker than usual 250 ama outdoor field, I don't think the US outdoors field is so weak as mxdn makes it appear.
.
Especially for those riders less coordinated and without technical skills that fail Supercross, it's best to try their luck at pure outdoors euro style where they at least have a chance.

Look at RJ Hampshire for instance he never won ab ama Moto before but won the USGP overall against a strong mx2 field two years ago in Florida. Hampshire who couldn't win in the US gets his first win at a USGP where he was a 7-10 place ama 250 guy all that summer and he bests the mxgp mx2 field getting his first pro win sweeping the USGP.

Heck even Forker as a rookie beat JH in a USGP Moto in Charlotte, which Webb came from last place to win.

The 250 US outdoor field isn't so weak just as the 250 MXGP riders that podium at mxdn as we see at the USGP events normally and with Lawrence in the AMA now, it seems the mxdn is a one off event in showing the true talent level which makes sense as it is a one off event, literally!

little reminder ...as it seems your memory is a bit on the selective side or trolling as usual

dont know how fit he was at start of SX , but he qualified and had a top 10 in his very first SX race ever ..

i mean thats not bad at all dude no matter how you call it ..or you think the talent has just gone with the wind ??

next race he got injured and it was all gone ..

go shit on the dude after he got injured and sick ...classy

|

the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

7/9/2019 2:54 PM

chippo wrote:

He's staying in the states for the '20 season, if results don't go the way he wants and what is expected of him he won't be on the Rockstar team that's a fact.
Personally I don't think he'll head back over to Europe, if anything it's more likely he'll do the '21 season as a privateer effort with Monster backing.

This seems the most likely route I think.

|

Are you smart enough to buy a bike that costs less, weighs less, makes more horsepower per cubic centimeter, can be rebuilt for recycled aluminum can money and is giggle inducing? It is hard to believe that the American riding public flunks this test en masse. How stupid are you?

7/9/2019 2:54 PM

Everyone talking shit about Covington better remember when he is actually healthy and eat there crow. Covington has beat everyone from Herlings to Prado. Consistency is his problem not speed, and we can work with speed. Look at a certain Star Yamaha guy right now.

|

7/9/2019 5:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2019 5:08 PM

If pit bits from Guy B is correct. He is being replaced by Jerry Robins the rest of the year.

|

7/9/2019 9:53 PM

mb60 wrote:

If pit bits from Guy B is correct. He is being replaced by Jerry Robins the rest of the year.

That's actually pretty cool if true. Jerry takes a lot of shit for being a fantasy killer but he has stepped it up significantly in 2019.

As for TC, he probably should go back to MXGP if he can. If he stays in the USA he has to ride SX and he's just not good enough. Don't hang on that opening round too much, the track was pretty easy and there were some weirdo things happening that night if I recall. The next weekend he was still healthy and was 7th or 8th in the LCQ. On a factory Husky. Against guys out of pickup trucks.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

7/9/2019 11:36 PM

mb60 wrote:

If pit bits from Guy B is correct. He is being replaced by Jerry Robins the rest of the year.

It'll be interesting to see because I chatted with Jerry earlier today and that didn't seem to be the case based on that conversation.

|

8/19/2019 7:57 AM

Ray_MXS wrote:

Hunter Lawrence really must be the most hyped rider of all time. He is expected to dominate and win races for some reason and is always brought up to compare the series.

2017: MX2 9th overall. 1 moto win, no GP wins.
2018: MX2 9th overall. No moto wins, no GP wins.

Even Weigandt in the live broadcasts are hyping Hunter as a "multiple race winner" and "title contender".

Very talented and sure has some brilliance of speed no doubt, but a title contender he was not.

I think Crusty that Hunter Lawrence is hyped mega high is due to his stellar MXdN results.

You definitely did a good job of pointing out his 2017 and 2018 mx2 MXGP finishes for each season (definitely nothing to get hyped about).

I feel bad for the kid in a way as the extra pressure likely isn't helping him. His little brother looks like the real deal though at barely sixteen and doing well at Unadilla.

|

8/19/2019 8:08 AM

RichardLoots wrote:

little reminder ...as it seems your memory is a bit on the selective side or trolling as usual

dont know how fit he was at start of SX , but he qualified and had a top 10 in his very first SX race ever ..

i mean thats not bad at all dude no matter how you call it ..or you think the talent has just gone with the wind ??

next race he got injured and it was all gone ..

go shit on the dude after he got injured and sick ...classy

Not trying to crap on TC , but it is what it is. In those early SX rounds if he wasn't healthy then he shouldn't have been out there (the poor guy for the holeshot of an LCQ and was then dropped to like 8th place , easily beaten by guys racing out of their pickup truck).

It was always said by Mitch Payton thru interviews or conversations noted in various podcast and Moto radio shows that Covington was "afraid" of Supercross and his inability to ride SX is why he was sent to MXGP to begin with instead of remaining on the team green track to pro circuit.

Why would Husky expect TC to have been even competitive now at SX when he was unable to ride it as a teenager and admitted afraid of the jumps and rythms ? Obviously now older and with pro experience in the MXGP world you'd think TC would be even worse at SX in 2019 than 2015 when he should have raced SX.

I wish he did do better, especially outdoors in the AMA. Who knows what to make of Epstein Barr as most with it in the past have at least put in decent practice times or done very well until fading. TC has had even miserable practice times at outdoor events including just this past weekend at Budds Creek.

Poor guy. His confidence must be as much of a mess as his Alabama accent. Hopefully he can go back to Europe and play in the sand box tracks without large jumps or technical rythm sections and get his motocross confidence back!

I'm afraid his accent will never be straight though!

|

8/19/2019 9:24 AM

Some of you should really start following the MXGP Silly Season topic.

About Thomas Covington coming back to Europe. Today I spoke to a well informed insider and he said following thing. Because Covington still got a one year deal with Husqvarna, Mitch Covington has tried to create a "Monster Energy Husqvarna Team" lead by Jacky Martens with riders: Thomas Covington and this is the biggest news Justin Barcia!

Husqvarna wasn't really against this idea, but to get these two riders both Husqvarna and Monster Energy needed to go "All-In" also financially. Something Red Bull has blocked, going politician-modus. Non of the two Austrian brands (KTM & Husqvarna) will (ever) support a Monster Energy sponsored team (financially). Monster Energy is the only brand of energy drink close to Red Bull and Red Bull clearly didn't hesitate to use their power at the KTM Group to prevent a Monster Energy Logo shining on a official supported Husqvarna/KTM bike.

So Husqvarna has told the "Covington clan" that they can't support them in this project and they (talked) or are still talking with almost all brands. But knowing that most teams doesn't have the same financial space as Husqvarna/KTM because they don't sell as much off road bikes, I suspect that they won't be aiming at Justin Barcia anymore. Thomas Covington and Max Anstie on Green,Blue,Yellow,Red,... bikes would look like a solid team but the same can be said about Guillod, Tixier and others like Searle.
|