Covington back? really?

Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
I thought he had epstein barr? this usually takes guys out for months.

I hope he and who ever is coaching/encouraging him, isnt rushing to come back prematurely, unless he ACTUALLY puts in two consistent moto's.

Plus with tomorrows heat...Good luck
|
8/16/2019 10:55pm
Maybe he's been riding with it for months and is over it now?
I hope he comes out swinging and switches some of his critics off.
hamncheeze
8/16/2019 11:08pm
I wish him the best, but I think this will end badly. Jalek Swoll is out, I wonder if Rockstar pressured TC to race? Matthes and JT alluded to this on the Moto60 show yesterday. I'm sure the Rockstar deal has some minimum appearances for the 250 riders and TC has been out all year, Mosiman has missed a race too and only Jordan Bailey has made all 10 outdoors rounds so far.
Motofinne
8/16/2019 11:14pm
hamncheeze wrote:
I wish him the best, but I think this will end badly. Jalek Swoll is out, I wonder if Rockstar pressured TC to race? Matthes and...
I wish him the best, but I think this will end badly. Jalek Swoll is out, I wonder if Rockstar pressured TC to race? Matthes and JT alluded to this on the Moto60 show yesterday. I'm sure the Rockstar deal has some minimum appearances for the 250 riders and TC has been out all year, Mosiman has missed a race too and only Jordan Bailey has made all 10 outdoors rounds so far.
It's freaking stupid though, what do they expect to get from this? This will probably go horrible yet again and not help Thomas or the team at all.

hamncheeze
8/16/2019 11:23pm
Motofinne wrote:
It's freaking stupid though, what do they expect to get from this? This will probably go horrible yet again and not help Thomas or the team...
It's freaking stupid though, what do they expect to get from this? This will probably go horrible yet again and not help Thomas or the team at all.

Agreed, if I'm the team owner I look at him as an investment. This year has de-valued him, but I have him for 2 years and in order to get the best possible return in 2020 we have to get back to 100% physically AND mentally before we get on the gate. What can he possibly do in the final 2 rounds? Nothing significant. Therefore this makes me think it is definitely the RS brass pushing him back out there. These effin' energy drink companies are a razorblade, the sport needs them to survive but they can use their financial clout to make some stupid decisions that hurt the individuals.

The Shop

8/17/2019 1:45am
Motofinne wrote:
It's freaking stupid though, what do they expect to get from this? This will probably go horrible yet again and not help Thomas or the team...

hamncheeze wrote:
Agreed, if I'm the team owner I look at him as an investment. This year has de-valued him, but I have him for 2 years and...
Agreed, if I'm the team owner I look at him as an investment. This year has de-valued him, but I have him for 2 years and in order to get the best possible return in 2020 we have to get back to 100% physically AND mentally before we get on the gate. What can he possibly do in the final 2 rounds? Nothing significant. Therefore this makes me think it is definitely the RS brass pushing him back out there. These effin' energy drink companies are a razorblade, the sport needs them to survive but they can use their financial clout to make some stupid decisions that hurt the individuals.
Lets not forget its their money. If TC can't produce the goods, step aside, another young hotshot will. Its harsh, but thats life. Your boss would do the same.
slipdog
8/18/2019 2:38am
Holy crap... I didn't even realize he was at Budds Creek.Blink
Motofinne
8/18/2019 3:10am
Well, that went well for everyone involved. I hope the people in charge are happy with the weekend.
Bidirella
8/18/2019 3:59am
Feel bad for the kid. I dont know whats going on behind the scenes, but this must be tough for him.
DonM
8/18/2019 5:49am
Motofinne wrote:
Well, that went well for everyone involved. I hope the people in charge are happy with the weekend.
100% TC's decision to race....
DA498
8/18/2019 6:24am
Motofinne wrote:
DonM wrote:
100% TC's decision to race....
Seems like it was a bad decision. Someone of this caliber should know if they are capable to be in it or just putting in time. This late in the season it looks bad to outsiders. Nothing to lose? Not so sure.
Natester551v
8/18/2019 8:54am
I suspect this has more to do with Rockstar Husky needing "x" number of 250 guys on the track; perhaps with Swoll out they asked Covington to step in to fulfill contractual obligations. I could be wrong, but the biggest driver for "fill-in" rides with energy-drink backed teams is this...there's a reason Honda has no real push to backfill Seely's spot.

I totally agree that on a personal level Budd's did nothing good for TC. I really hope he gets healthy and acquits himself well next year. He hauls when he's healthy...
8/18/2019 11:46am
Was at Budd's yesterday - felt absolutely gutted for Covington. He was just limping around the track, clearly in survival mode. A terrible look for him and the team alike.
braaap707
8/18/2019 12:04pm
Damn just saw his results. Wow not a good look for him or the team with their already terrible results this year. I hope he gets something figured out. Gonna sound like a dick but team needs to cut Bailey and Covington. Moisman is the only kid to put up results and seems like he's finding his speed. Bailey and Covington have been terrible from their debuts and hanging in back of pack even when healthy. Swoll hopefully isn't another Bailey or that will be really sad to watch again for a premier factory team getting 20ths and similar finishes. Give me all down votes but just saying what others are thinking too. Hope the team can gain back it's lost glory it had with zacko.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
8/18/2019 2:31pm
braaap707 wrote:
Damn just saw his results. Wow not a good look for him or the team with their already terrible results this year. I hope he gets...
Damn just saw his results. Wow not a good look for him or the team with their already terrible results this year. I hope he gets something figured out. Gonna sound like a dick but team needs to cut Bailey and Covington. Moisman is the only kid to put up results and seems like he's finding his speed. Bailey and Covington have been terrible from their debuts and hanging in back of pack even when healthy. Swoll hopefully isn't another Bailey or that will be really sad to watch again for a premier factory team getting 20ths and similar finishes. Give me all down votes but just saying what others are thinking too. Hope the team can gain back it's lost glory it had with zacko.
There’s obviously something wrong with Covington. There are differences between the GPs and AMA but you don’t go from being a fairly regular Moto winner to not being able to get top 20s. Keep him for next year and cut Bailey, Your right on that one. I have seen Covington beat everyone from Herlings through Prado. He derserves another shot.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3875th
8/18/2019 3:22pm
Covington is still super young and has a long career ahead of him, but I hope that coming back too early and having terrible results prevents him from landing solid rides in the next few years. I'd hate to see him end up like Alldredge.
kpiper
8/18/2019 3:37pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2019 3:38pm
I really think not being able to grasp SX created a major mindset issue for him and destroyed his confidence.

Also, getting married won't help his racing.

As someone once told me, he will get tired of riding around at the back of the pack and fix it.
BikeGuy321
8/18/2019 3:42pm
I'm not an MXGP expert by any means, but it doesn't seem like the Japanese brands have super strong teams in MX2. That factory Husky ride could have been a pretty big advantage when he raced accross the pond IMO.
Ranman68
8/18/2019 3:50pm
The AMA racing series is a very tough and brutal series. It's getting tougher all the time too, because little by little it's becoming an international series. By that, I mean that more and more of the riders lined up in ama are from other countries, and the new faces popping up in ama from other countries aren't just riders or good riders from others countries. They're the best from another country, or among the best from their country.
Mxgp world champions, Australian champions, Japan's best, and others are in the mix with the American amateur phenoms coming up. They all have to race supercross and motocross and they know it. They're all training in it, and developing whatever skill set they lack in. The shit is tough as F. Just look at Hunter Lawrence. The kid is wicked fast and can win against anyone on a given day outdoors, but is struggling to consistently get good results outdoors and stay injury free while working on his SX training for his SX debut....which was delayed a season due to being injured on a supercross practice track.
It's a tough tough series to jump into straight out of Europe like Covington did. It's very hard even for the elites in other countries. I know Covington isn't 100 percent physically, but that's not all that it is. Not by any means. You have to have elite talent, be aggressive as F, and fearless as F. Some iust can't be all three of those things. I just don't think Covington has that nature like a Ferrandis or a Lawrence boy. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.
Natester551v
8/18/2019 4:01pm
Ranman68 wrote:
The AMA racing series is a very tough and brutal series. It's getting tougher all the time too, because little by little it's becoming an international...
The AMA racing series is a very tough and brutal series. It's getting tougher all the time too, because little by little it's becoming an international series. By that, I mean that more and more of the riders lined up in ama are from other countries, and the new faces popping up in ama from other countries aren't just riders or good riders from others countries. They're the best from another country, or among the best from their country.
Mxgp world champions, Australian champions, Japan's best, and others are in the mix with the American amateur phenoms coming up. They all have to race supercross and motocross and they know it. They're all training in it, and developing whatever skill set they lack in. The shit is tough as F. Just look at Hunter Lawrence. The kid is wicked fast and can win against anyone on a given day outdoors, but is struggling to consistently get good results outdoors and stay injury free while working on his SX training for his SX debut....which was delayed a season due to being injured on a supercross practice track.
It's a tough tough series to jump into straight out of Europe like Covington did. It's very hard even for the elites in other countries. I know Covington isn't 100 percent physically, but that's not all that it is. Not by any means. You have to have elite talent, be aggressive as F, and fearless as F. Some iust can't be all three of those things. I just don't think Covington has that nature like a Ferrandis or a Lawrence boy. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.
Covington has the speed he needs to be successful in the US...he's just physically destroyed from EB and mentally shaky from SX. If he can get healthy and get some confidence back he'll have a great career.

It's tough, because he needs rest, but he also needs seat time for 2020 SX.
kpiper
8/18/2019 4:40pm
I sure wish he had skipped SX this year as Lawrence did (yes, I know he got hurt).

I feel like we would have seen a totally different Thomas out there right now.
Mavetism
8/18/2019 5:00pm
Bidirella wrote:
Feel bad for the kid. I dont know whats going on behind the scenes, but this must be tough for him.
U saw his wife yet? Life can't be too bad. :D
Ranman68
8/18/2019 6:01pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2019 6:04pm
Ranman68 wrote:
The AMA racing series is a very tough and brutal series. It's getting tougher all the time too, because little by little it's becoming an international...
Covington has the speed he needs to be successful in the US...he's just physically destroyed from EB and mentally shaky from SX. If he can get...
Covington has the speed he needs to be successful in the US...he's just physically destroyed from EB and mentally shaky from SX. If he can get healthy and get some confidence back he'll have a great career.

It's tough, because he needs rest, but he also needs seat time for 2020 SX.
I don't doubt he has had an illness holding him back, or the talent and speed when he's healthy. When you said he's still "mentally shaky from SX", you're validating my point. If you've ever seen an SX track in real life or the huge, waist deep whoops that are on them all, then you know just how spooky supercross is. Jeffrey Herlings himself said that supercross whoops scare him. That tells you how evil they are. It's not for everybody, and if the intenseness of it or the obstaclss scares Covington or leave him mentally shaken, he will never succeed to any real level here. You can't be mentally shaken by the racing, the tracks, or by poor results. You have to be unafraid and aggressive until you get good at it and start getting those results. Then when outdoors rolls around, you better be damn good at that shit too.
I'm fully aware that I could be wrong about Covington and I do not deny that he has the speed to do well outdoors if he's healthy and confident. I doubt wether he has what it is takes to do well in both disciplines. It takes more than speed and talent. You have to also be ready to bang bars feerlessly up the face of steep supercross triples and through gigantic whoops that can kill you if you fear them and don't go into them wide open every time every lap. I'm just not sure Covington is geared for that. It doesn't seem so to me, but again....I could be wrong. In no way do I mean to bash Covington by saying what I do. He's a good kid with a lot of talent and he's proven that with success in the GP's. Fearlessness and aggression is in you or it isn't. It doesn't matter where you're from.
8/18/2019 6:25pm
kpiper wrote:
I sure wish he had skipped SX this year as Lawrence did (yes, I know he got hurt). I feel like we would have seen a...
I sure wish he had skipped SX this year as Lawrence did (yes, I know he got hurt).

I feel like we would have seen a totally different Thomas out there right now.
If supercross destroyed him that much then its obvious he is in the wrong profession.
Hope he figures it out can't think of 1 single reason to dislike the kid.
8/18/2019 8:45pm
I thought he said he had just gotten back on the bike and thought why not race. If he had been back on the bike for 8 weeks and in shape and this was his finish, then wow, that would be different. First race back with no prep. Did anyone really expect good results?

Hope we get to see the real T.C. outdoors next year.
tek14
8/19/2019 5:22am
That didnt go so well...
Press516
Fantasy
126th
8/19/2019 7:08am
I was traveling all weekend with no access to media... First thing I did on Sunday afternoon was fire up the 250 moto 1 and check the running order for TC. I was thinking, man I hope this kid shows his speed today. And it was another major disappointment...

His dream might be over.
jpmoney57
8/19/2019 7:09am
Whats the deal with talking about covington on podcasts, every time they talk about covington you can tell they cant say anything about his situation. Have they been asked by husky not to mention it? Just listened to Daniel Blair's podcast and he said he doesn't want to talk about it when covington was brought up? Mathes is kinda the same just doesn't go in to it to much with the listeners. Just seems a bit odd like they have been silenced.

Post a reply to: Covington back? really?

The Latest