Covington - Where's the Love??

FuzzyLogic
Surprised I haven't seen or heard much about Thomas Covington's National debut. He came on strong and won a race or two towards the middle and end of the GP's last year. I realize he had a real poor showing in supercross this year, but I expect him to be a front runner outdoors. Am I missing something?
|
aeffertz
5/10/2019 11:48am
We had the discussion when they announced he was racing the nationals last year. His SX season was abysmal so it’s just a waiting game at this point.
kkawboy14
5/10/2019 11:49am
No....you have it all listed there!

Especially the part where you said he had a real bad showing in SX
motomike137
5/10/2019 11:49am
As soon as he posts some good results outdoors I think it will come. He has us a little gun shy after his SX performance.
5/10/2019 11:55am
From what all the fanboys were saying during supercross we should expect a top 3 next weekend.

The Shop

kpiper
5/10/2019 12:06pm
I hope he will be a top-five guy with some podiums. SX was so bad people don't want to talk about him it seems.

It would be cool if he really did well though.
kpiper
5/10/2019 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2019 12:13pm
Is he even healthy?
Seems to be 100% and been prepping full time for the Nationals.

The kid has a great story. I like him. But he is a singer too! Oh no!
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
5/10/2019 12:23pm
Is he even healthy?
This is my first question also, is he healthy, how are his knees?

Has he been at the stopwatch nationals?

I hope he does really good.
DonM
5/10/2019 12:28pm
Is he even healthy?
Ramrod wrote:
This is my first question also, is he healthy, how are his knees?

Has he been at the stopwatch nationals?

I hope he does really good.
Yes, knees good...no, he's been at Baker's working with Tyla...
early
Fantasy
2231st
5/10/2019 12:28pm
The love got passed in the lcq
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
5/10/2019 12:38pm
it went away when he could not get out of 250 lcq's on a factory bike,
downard254
5/10/2019 12:58pm
I'm betting that if he goes out there and kicks ass in the outdoors, then he'll earn the love!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/10/2019 1:06pm
downard254 wrote:
I'm betting that if he goes out there and kicks ass in the outdoors, then he'll earn the love!
No doubt. He wasn't out here for the Spring Training day. I'm just hoping he's all good to line up at Hangtown.
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
5/10/2019 1:07pm
I’m hoping for his sake that he does well this summer. He needs a real strong showing, like it or not the SX season left a bad taste in everyone’s mouth. And if you can’t to both, you can not succeed in America.
FuzzyLogic
5/10/2019 1:15pm
scott_nz wrote:
"They are 2 completely different disciplines!" or atleast I heard that they were after the first weekend in October...A LOT. I was legitimately wondering if I missed a piece of news stating that he was injured or out with the lack of coverage.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/10/2019 1:18pm
FuzzyLogic wrote:
"They are 2 completely different disciplines!" or atleast I heard that they were after the first weekend in October...A LOT. I was legitimately wondering if I...
"They are 2 completely different disciplines!" or atleast I heard that they were after the first weekend in October...A LOT. I was legitimately wondering if I missed a piece of news stating that he was injured or out with the lack of coverage.
I know he was tweaked at/after Arlington.
jeffro503
5/10/2019 1:21pm
I know I'll be rooting for him! I dig that kid a lot and really hope he has a strong and healthy season. Been a big fan since I hung out with his parent's and his brother at the USGP at GH. Great family and Thomas is a great kid. I hope he kills it this summer!
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
5/10/2019 1:23pm
DonM wrote:
Yes, knees good...no, he's been at Baker's working with Tyla...
I think this is good, he is in good hands! Boot camp
5/10/2019 1:35pm
FuzzyLogic wrote:
"They are 2 completely different disciplines!" or atleast I heard that they were after the first weekend in October...A LOT. I was legitimately wondering if I...
They are 2 different disciplines, Covington is exhibit A. Hope he does well, but like others have said, sucking that bad has to shake your confidence. Lawrence is probably way better off skipping supercross assuming he is 100% healthy, which I assume he would be by now.
kpiper
5/10/2019 1:41pm
Hindsight being 20/20 he should have sat out SX as Lawrence did. I remember him saying before the season even started, "Supercross is really hard."

A good showing this summer will get him back on track but so much tough competition.
early
Fantasy
2231st
5/10/2019 1:43pm
kpiper wrote:
Hindsight being 20/20 he should have sat out SX as Lawrence did. I remember him saying before the season even started, "Supercross is really hard." A...
Hindsight being 20/20 he should have sat out SX as Lawrence did. I remember him saying before the season even started, "Supercross is really hard."

A good showing this summer will get him back on track but so much tough competition.
Lawrence didn't sit out SX by choice
KlockreN
5/10/2019 2:19pm
scott_nz wrote:
I know he finished around 10th at his first round and then hurt his knee in practice 2nd round so he was riding hurt from that point on, so his results look terrible on paper
kage173
5/10/2019 2:24pm
This is the US. SX is part of the game. So far he hasn't done anything. Why would anybody care at all? He needs to earn it
MCarthur
Fantasy
4122nd
5/10/2019 3:27pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2019 3:29pm
I understand that SX and MX are almost like different sports, but many European riders with very little SX experience came to the US and made it to the main easy, and some of them even made podiums in their first year. (Of course if he was injured and not 100%, it's an explanation good enough for me)

I really like the guy and I truly wish that he will have a great outdoor season with many podiums and maybe a few wins ! That will be nice.

I can't wait to see the two GP guys racing.
Ranman68
5/10/2019 3:52pm
His supercross results threw everybody off, but the knee injury at least explains why the results were suddenly so lousy after his first race. Since he did well in the GPs, logic says he will do well in ama outdoors, but you never know. He's gonna be mixing it up in a very deep field of very fast and very aggressive riders that don't ride nearly as polite as the guys in the GPs. He will be in his element and what he does best though, so I think it's gonna be clear at Hangtown as to what he's got and how he's gonna do. I don't care how much outdoor experience he has or years of racing mxgp, he better not assume that's gonna mean anything. He better be on it full tilt. I'm sure he will be, but I think he's gonna have to adapt a little at least to the aggressive nature of ama riders. He's a nice kid and.humble, so I'd like to see him do well. He's just got a lot of fast, aggressive guys to beat in order to do well. Maybe he can. We will see. I'm a little more optimistic about Lawrence based on how he rides. Seems to be better suited to ama. I could be wrong though.
ATKpilot99
5/10/2019 4:14pm
Ranman68 wrote:
His supercross results threw everybody off, but the knee injury at least explains why the results were suddenly so lousy after his first race. Since he...
His supercross results threw everybody off, but the knee injury at least explains why the results were suddenly so lousy after his first race. Since he did well in the GPs, logic says he will do well in ama outdoors, but you never know. He's gonna be mixing it up in a very deep field of very fast and very aggressive riders that don't ride nearly as polite as the guys in the GPs. He will be in his element and what he does best though, so I think it's gonna be clear at Hangtown as to what he's got and how he's gonna do. I don't care how much outdoor experience he has or years of racing mxgp, he better not assume that's gonna mean anything. He better be on it full tilt. I'm sure he will be, but I think he's gonna have to adapt a little at least to the aggressive nature of ama riders. He's a nice kid and.humble, so I'd like to see him do well. He's just got a lot of fast, aggressive guys to beat in order to do well. Maybe he can. We will see. I'm a little more optimistic about Lawrence based on how he rides. Seems to be better suited to ama. I could be wrong though.
The whole GP riders are not as aggressive argument went out the window long ago. And the field is not as deep as it has been in recent years . If he's healthy he should do well.
Ranman68
5/10/2019 4:38pm
Ranman68 wrote:
His supercross results threw everybody off, but the knee injury at least explains why the results were suddenly so lousy after his first race. Since he...
ATKpilot99 wrote:
The whole GP riders are not as aggressive argument went out the window long ago. And the field is not as deep as it has been...
The whole GP riders are not as aggressive argument went out the window long ago. And the field is not as deep as it has been in recent years . If he's healthy he should do well.
By "aggressive", I don't mean faster. I'm talking about the way ama riders make passes and defend against them. Supercross requires aggressive block passes and running it in on your competition in turned in order to get your front wheel ahead of his. In return, you've got to charge into turns hard and inside to keep someone from running it in on you. This kind of stuff carries into the outdoors whether it's beneficial or not. These things result in more bar banging and collisions on average than in the GP series. That's what I'm talking about, and it's something a GP rider isn't as use to. As far as the speed depth, I think it's as deep as it's ever been. There are a lot of guys in the 250 class that are fast. I disagree with you on that part.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3887th
5/10/2019 4:40pm
It depends on how badly SX rattled his confidence. If he puts it behind him and rides like he did in the GPs, I think he can win motos.

Post a reply to: Covington - Where's the Love??

The Latest