Covington

Sideways
3/8/2019 2:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/8/2019 2:30pm
FlaNard wrote:
I'd have him preparing for the Nationals after he races Daytona. Yeah he needs experience but he is really far off this year. I think coming...
I'd have him preparing for the Nationals after he races Daytona. Yeah he needs experience but he is really far off this year. I think coming in fresh and healthy for the outdoors is a smart move at this point.
He finished 11th in his first sx race ever! The other two races he was injured but tried racing anyway.

So you think every rider below 10th place should just pack up and not even race? Sounds fun.
philG
3/8/2019 2:45pm
slumpstone wrote:
That’s great advice. That way next year when it’s sx time he will be exactly where he is now.
But with an outdoor title
slumpstone
3/8/2019 5:56pm
slumpstone wrote:
That’s great advice. That way next year when it’s sx time he will be exactly where he is now.
philG wrote:
Manufacturers don’t care about outdoor.

The Shop

FlaNard
3/8/2019 6:05pm Edited Date/Time 3/8/2019 6:06pm
FlaNard wrote:
I'd have him preparing for the Nationals after he races Daytona. Yeah he needs experience but he is really far off this year. I think coming...
I'd have him preparing for the Nationals after he races Daytona. Yeah he needs experience but he is really far off this year. I think coming in fresh and healthy for the outdoors is a smart move at this point.
slumpstone wrote:
Plenty of time to work on supercross between now and next season. If they're paying him to compete well outdoors I'd get him there healthy. No point sending Bambi out on the ice over and over again. If he were even remotely close I'd agree with you.
FlaNard
3/8/2019 6:09pm
FlaNard wrote:
Sideways wrote:
He finished 11th in his first sx race ever! The other two races he was injured but tried racing anyway. So you think every rider below...
He finished 11th in his first sx race ever! The other two races he was injured but tried racing anyway.

So you think every rider below 10th place should just pack up and not even race? Sounds fun.
His situation is obviously different than the rest of the guys finishing around him on the 250's. None of them are supercross rookies who are viewed as having a legit shot at a title outdoors.
FlaNard
3/8/2019 6:10pm
slumpstone wrote:
philG wrote:
slumpstone wrote:
Then why hire Thomas at all?
Sibex
3/9/2019 1:29am
Ranman68 wrote:
I wouldn't say we suck at mxon. Yeah we stunk it up in 2018 and had freak mechanical failures with a lousy team in 2017, but...
I wouldn't say we suck at mxon. Yeah we stunk it up in 2018 and had freak mechanical failures with a lousy team in 2017, but 2012-2016 we came within 2 points on winning one (2015), had the win in the bag if Anderson had been able to ride moto 3 (2016), a 3rd in the deep sand we never ever ride in...with a brake failure on Barcia's bike (2012), and were top contenders/podium in 2013, 2014. It's not an excuse for 2017, but it is a fact that Seelys back shock gave out both motos and that Covington rode like total shit. Lousy team to begin with and 2 mechanical DNF's. 2018 was just shit results from shit starts due to shit gate picks due to a DNF and barely qualifying. Not excuses. Just fact. I don't think we could've won it by any means but we had some bad luck that cost us at least an overall position or two. Yeah we stunk it up and got whooped, but in recent years we have had success and come very close to winning it. We've had individual rider wins in many of them. I don't think 2017 and 2018 disasters are cause to say we suck. I think the euros have gotten strong in recent years and we had a couple of shit mxon results. It's happened to every country. It's not like weve been out of contention for an mxon win for decade. Just a slump and some great talent coming out of Europe. It's still pretty even and the u.s. will be a contender and winners in future mxon events. No doubt. We just need to prepare better and send the right guys. Dominating it year after year is probably never gonna happen again, but we do not suck in outdoor mx by any stretch. If we did, top GP guys who come here would dominate the outdoors but they don't. They have to fight just as hard for wins as in GPs. Herlings is an extreme talent for sure, but overall the u.s. is still on par in outdoor mx. Not dominant anymore, but still on par. We've gotten our ass kicked a couple of years in a row in mxon but that's not anything that couldnt change in any mxon event with decent luck and the right 3 guys. We are still in there. Time will show this.
drt410 wrote:
With the US for some reason everything but a win, is counted as theyre absolute garbage at mx now for some reason. Even with many different...
With the US for some reason everything but a win, is counted as theyre absolute garbage at mx now for some reason. Even with many different riders winning different motos throughout the years where they didnt win the event, current riders even, if they even get second at MXON it means the entire mx program in America is trash now and they are now sx only riders that dont know how to ride mx.

Forget the fact that its a team event and that its only been since RV days that they won the event, while recently placing second... Its just not even worth arguing anymore. Everyone has taken their position and it just is what it is until they win again... thats it. Let people believe that US riders suck at mx now, who cares?
Ranman68 wrote:
Yes that is true. Despite the fact that the best GP riders would easily get lapped twice in an 450sx main, if they happen to just...
Yes that is true. Despite the fact that the best GP riders would easily get lapped twice in an 450sx main, if they happen to just beat us in outdoor race (the only thing they do and do nearly 3 times as much), euros get giddy. Even still, we put smackdowns on them even in outdoors on many occasions. You can bet your ass that Covington will not ever do as well in ama outdoors as he did in mxgp. I'd bet any amount of money on it. In supercross.... I think that's already speaking for itself. If Covington does good in ama outdoors I'll be happy for the guy, and I respect the fact that right now Herlings is the best OUTDOOR ONLY rider in the world, but this notion that GP riders are better is just straight up bullshit. They are just sometimes better at the one and only thing they do. Herlings nut huggers who talk shit about Tomac and other american riders have no idea the skill level needed for sx or how bad Herlings would get smoked if he lined up for one. He's damn good at what he does, but if he attempted to do both like american riders, he wouldnt be looking so good. It's fine to be a Herlings can, but a disrespectful not hugger who only shit talks american riders is what i cant stand. I see a lot of that. My opinions on covington are based solely on what I think is the lack of aggression needed. Not anything to do with him being a GP rider. I do know i could be wrong about him, so if i am I'll be happy to admit it when the time comes. At this point though, I think he shpuldve stayed in the GPs because he wont do as well here. Not even outdoors. But....its just my opinion. I'm actually hoping im wrong in the end.
You remind me of that Rex Kwon-do character in Napolian Dynomite. Do you own some parachute pants and a bandana?

Kirk out.
philG
3/9/2019 7:09am
philG wrote:
slumpstone wrote:
FlaNard wrote:
Exactly

The people that race and buy bikes ONLY care about outdoors...
Johnny Ringo
3/9/2019 12:02pm
slumpstone wrote:
FlaNard wrote:
philG wrote:
Exactly

The people that race and buy bikes ONLY care about outdoors...
Wrong
drt410
3/9/2019 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2019 12:15pm
FlaNard wrote:
slumpstone wrote:
FlaNard wrote:
Plenty of time to work on supercross between now and next season. If they're paying him to compete well outdoors I'd get him there healthy. No...
Plenty of time to work on supercross between now and next season. If they're paying him to compete well outdoors I'd get him there healthy. No point sending Bambi out on the ice over and over again. If he were even remotely close I'd agree with you.
He needs to be out there... Have no expectations and gain as much experience as u can. The test track is for applying things youve learned. You can only learn by racing. He HAS to be out there racing, even more so because hes struggling. Hes learning a shit ton right now, this is what it looks like.

Get out there racing, try to get better every week but dont get down on yourself, and just learn. Then take those things and apply it in the offseason and come back much more prepared next year. If he just sits out this year and then tries to learn sx on the test track hell be way behind again next year.

Race as much as u can this year, get your first year and your bad results out of the way, make improvements, find settings, racecraft and strategy, then apply it for next year. If he races a whole regional series hes gonna learn a ton and may even be doing decent by the last couple races giving him a muuuch better starting point next year vs half next year being a waste too when hes fighting for his first good finish next year vs achieving it now.
milliebays
3/9/2019 12:11pm
Who cares - GPs over SX all day. Sx is a skill he can pick up just like ARay or Peick did. Hed lap ARay outdoors no matter how long ARay et al works at it. No offense to aray
PastranaWho
3/9/2019 2:48pm
why did covington leave to the states? no good 450 mxgp ride available?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/9/2019 2:54pm
He could've raced GPs in MX2 one more year but Rockstar Husqvarna USA had the opening this year to bring him over on a two year deal. If he had stayed one more year in GPs, there wasn't a guarantee that spot would still be available in 2020.
crowe176
3/9/2019 2:56pm
Tempted to throw him on my pulp fantasy team..arggghhhhhhhhh must. avoid. tinkering.
cable
3/9/2019 3:07pm
milliebays wrote:
Who cares - GPs over SX all day. Sx is a skill he can pick up just like ARay or Peick did. Hed lap ARay outdoors...
Who cares - GPs over SX all day. Sx is a skill he can pick up just like ARay or Peick did. Hed lap ARay outdoors no matter how long ARay et al works at it. No offense to aray
ask allessi how that works.
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
3/10/2019 4:00pm
philG wrote:
I would be shocked to see him holding the number 1 plate this year outdoors. I think he will be the best of the rest, after AC, Forkner and Dylan and wouldn’t be surprised to see Hunter and Chase beat him. He lacks consistency to be a champion.
milliebays
3/10/2019 4:18pm
milliebays wrote:
Who cares - GPs over SX all day. Sx is a skill he can pick up just like ARay or Peick did. Hed lap ARay outdoors...
cable wrote:
ask allessi how that works.
what do you mean?
3/10/2019 4:21pm
philG wrote:
Park Boys wrote:
I would be shocked to see him holding the number 1 plate this year outdoors. I think he will be the best of the rest, after...
I would be shocked to see him holding the number 1 plate this year outdoors. I think he will be the best of the rest, after AC, Forkner and Dylan and wouldn’t be surprised to see Hunter and Chase beat him. He lacks consistency to be a champion.
i think you are right , his results in MXGP showed he can peak on a certain track and win it with a good start and battle top 5 to 10 next week ..Took him years to adjust and get a first win in MX2 and i dont see him win outdoors or beat Ferrandis , Forkner and AC etc ...
i think top 5 at the end would be a really good result in his first year , dont forget Thomas is a good rider but not Prado talented so expectations shouldnt be about winning ...
drt410
3/10/2019 4:50pm
philG wrote:
Park Boys wrote:
I would be shocked to see him holding the number 1 plate this year outdoors. I think he will be the best of the rest, after...
i think you are right , his results in MXGP showed he can peak on a certain track and win it with a good start and...
i think you are right , his results in MXGP showed he can peak on a certain track and win it with a good start and battle top 5 to 10 next week ..Took him years to adjust and get a first win in MX2 and i dont see him win outdoors or beat Ferrandis , Forkner and AC etc ...
i think top 5 at the end would be a really good result in his first year , dont forget Thomas is a good rider but not Prado talented so expectations shouldnt be about winning ...
Yea hes not touching AC, Forkner, Hampshire, Smith, Cooper, outdoors... Sometimes hell get some top 5s but anyone thinking hes gonna “dominate broz cuz he GPz yo” ur very mistaken..
bsharkey
3/10/2019 6:14pm
He just got beat by sipes last night who's been retired for quite a long time to me that doesn't seem right even if he hasn't race supercross before
Ranman68
3/10/2019 6:21pm
drt410 wrote:
With the US for some reason everything but a win, is counted as theyre absolute garbage at mx now for some reason. Even with many different...
With the US for some reason everything but a win, is counted as theyre absolute garbage at mx now for some reason. Even with many different riders winning different motos throughout the years where they didnt win the event, current riders even, if they even get second at MXON it means the entire mx program in America is trash now and they are now sx only riders that dont know how to ride mx.

Forget the fact that its a team event and that its only been since RV days that they won the event, while recently placing second... Its just not even worth arguing anymore. Everyone has taken their position and it just is what it is until they win again... thats it. Let people believe that US riders suck at mx now, who cares?
Ranman68 wrote:
Yes that is true. Despite the fact that the best GP riders would easily get lapped twice in an 450sx main, if they happen to just...
Yes that is true. Despite the fact that the best GP riders would easily get lapped twice in an 450sx main, if they happen to just beat us in outdoor race (the only thing they do and do nearly 3 times as much), euros get giddy. Even still, we put smackdowns on them even in outdoors on many occasions. You can bet your ass that Covington will not ever do as well in ama outdoors as he did in mxgp. I'd bet any amount of money on it. In supercross.... I think that's already speaking for itself. If Covington does good in ama outdoors I'll be happy for the guy, and I respect the fact that right now Herlings is the best OUTDOOR ONLY rider in the world, but this notion that GP riders are better is just straight up bullshit. They are just sometimes better at the one and only thing they do. Herlings nut huggers who talk shit about Tomac and other american riders have no idea the skill level needed for sx or how bad Herlings would get smoked if he lined up for one. He's damn good at what he does, but if he attempted to do both like american riders, he wouldnt be looking so good. It's fine to be a Herlings can, but a disrespectful not hugger who only shit talks american riders is what i cant stand. I see a lot of that. My opinions on covington are based solely on what I think is the lack of aggression needed. Not anything to do with him being a GP rider. I do know i could be wrong about him, so if i am I'll be happy to admit it when the time comes. At this point though, I think he shpuldve stayed in the GPs because he wont do as well here. Not even outdoors. But....its just my opinion. I'm actually hoping im wrong in the end.
Sibex wrote:
You remind me of that Rex Kwon-do character in Napolian Dynomite. Do you own some parachute pants and a bandana?

Kirk out.
Oh yeah? Well you remind me of something even more embarassing. You remind me of a sissy who watches "Napolian Dynomite", who goes by "Sybex", who uses his keyboard to mouth off to me from a safe distance, and who ends it with "Kirk out". But hey..... I could be wrong.
Adam43
3/10/2019 6:40pm
Thomas can ride outdoors for sure, but his supercross performaces have shed a lot of light on why he ended up in Europe in the first place.
drt410
3/10/2019 7:54pm
Adam43 wrote:
Thomas can ride outdoors for sure, but his supercross performaces have shed a lot of light on why he ended up in Europe in the first...
Thomas can ride outdoors for sure, but his supercross performaces have shed a lot of light on why he ended up in Europe in the first place.
This is true and overlooked tbh. He didnt go there because he was beating back factory rides with a stick and wanted to fulfill his gp dream. He went because if he didnt his career ends. Im happy for him he had a little bit of success out there, but he has a ways to go still. I think he has it in him.

Like I said before though this sx season is gonna suck for him and be embarrassing. That being said he HAS to just grind out every race left, get the seat time under his belt, experience, and try to improve each week... even if 1 position. If he can just get 1,2 hell 3 top 5s this year then he has that out of the way. He needs to figure out what he has to work on. You dont learn to ride sx on the practice track... good at least. You learn racing then apply what youve learned at the practice track and improve. He needs to learn as much as he can to have a productive off season.
Moto man
3/10/2019 7:55pm
Adam43 wrote:
Thomas can ride outdoors for sure, but his supercross performaces have shed a lot of light on why he ended up in Europe in the first...
I believe you are just seeing the difference in talent level and depth between series. Very outdoor style track last night and he had nothing for a retired sipes.
cbuehler767
3/10/2019 8:04pm
Adam43 wrote:
Moto man wrote:
I believe you are just seeing the difference in talent level and depth between series. Very outdoor style track last night and he had nothing for...
I believe you are just seeing the difference in talent level and depth between series. Very outdoor style track last night and he had nothing for a retired sipes.
While its the most outdoor style sx its still no where near an outdoor track
Motofinne
3/10/2019 9:51pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2019 10:30pm
According to Weege, Covingtons knee injury is an ACL injury. So considering that, he did pretty well at Daytona in my opinion.

I need to correct myself. I somehow wrote Weege, i mean SwapmotoLaughing

Swap posted a picture of Covington on IG with the caption "No ACL? No problem. @bigairtom is back on the bike today in Daytona."
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
3/10/2019 9:57pm
keinz wrote:
Whats are your doubts. 7th in tthe main. I think pretty good for the roookie: Sry 11th
7th is respectable and he can go home in peace knowing he can build on that result.
roninho
3/11/2019 2:20am
ML512 wrote:
He could've raced GPs in MX2 one more year but Rockstar Husqvarna USA had the opening this year to bring him over on a two year...
He could've raced GPs in MX2 one more year but Rockstar Husqvarna USA had the opening this year to bring him over on a two year deal. If he had stayed one more year in GPs, there wasn't a guarantee that spot would still be available in 2020.
Good move for him.

i would think he should be able to have a decent 250 contract for the next 5+ years based on his outdoor talent. When healthy he should be a top 5 in points type of guy i imagine.

With the age rule in GP's he'd have to move up to MXGP next season. It wasnt a given he would get a factory ride in MXGP, and with guys like Anstie and van Horebeek not getting factory rides chances are low you have a contract for the next 5+ years.
3/11/2019 2:50am
Moto man wrote:
I believe you are just seeing the difference in talent level and depth between series. Very outdoor style track last night and he had nothing for...

Post a reply to: Covington

The Latest