Couple Oddities To Report From Local Track This Weekend.

Rupert X
Edited Date/Time 8/11/2022 7:45am
And, my buddy, we shall “Chris”, shows up (after driving two hours), with a live possum in his gear bag (unbeknownst to him). Tell us your weird gear bag or other stories, thanks…..

|
kNewc
8/8/2022 6:42am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2022 6:42am
Parked by a guy who unloaded his bike (crf450 with electric start) and started it, then left it sit idling while un-packing all his gear and gearing up. I didn't know a modern 450 could idle on a stand for 15+ minutes without blowing up lol
Rupert X
8/8/2022 6:43am
kNewc wrote:
Parked by a guy who unloaded his bike (crf450 with electric start) and started it, then left it sit idling while un-packing all his gear and...
Parked by a guy who unloaded his bike (crf450 with electric start) and started it, then left it sit idling while un-packing all his gear and gearing up. I didn't know a modern 450 could idle on a stand for 15+ minutes without blowing up lol
Me thinks if it were at night that head pipe glow like at the glassworks tho…
Sandusky26
8/8/2022 8:52am
Sometimes I'll roll a J and put it under my bar pad and go burn it in woods.
snillum
Fantasy
325th
8/8/2022 9:55am
kNewc wrote:
Parked by a guy who unloaded his bike (crf450 with electric start) and started it, then left it sit idling while un-packing all his gear and...
I hate to sound like an idiot, but why would it matter if it is idling for a long time? The water pump is still circulating water right or do not they move fast enough to circulate at idle?

The Shop

kNewc
8/8/2022 10:00am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2022 10:02am
kNewc wrote:
snillum wrote:
I hate to sound like an idiot, but why would it matter if it is idling for a long time? The water pump is still circulating...
I hate to sound like an idiot, but why would it matter if it is idling for a long time? The water pump is still circulating water right or do not they move fast enough to circulate at idle?
To be honest I could totally be wrong here and that these bikes are created to do this. To my lack-of-knowledge and growing up on old 2 strokes I was told the newer 450's can't sit idle because they need air moving through the radiator to sufficiently cool it. I may be wrong and this may be perfectly fine but I haven't seen anyone do it before. I know my old '05 RMZ450 header would glow hot after only a few minutes and that always freaked me out.
lumpy790
8/8/2022 10:06am
kNewc wrote:
snillum wrote:
I hate to sound like an idiot, but why would it matter if it is idling for a long time? The water pump is still circulating...
Race 4 strokes have done this since the 1st YZ400F. With No air circulation through the radiator it quickly starts overheating as it can not cool off the coolant. Putting a electric fan on one radiator helps some so there is some air movement but it does not cure it.
snillum
Fantasy
325th
8/8/2022 10:18am
kNewc wrote:
snillum wrote:
lumpy790 wrote:
Race 4 strokes have done this since the 1st YZ400F. With No air circulation through the radiator it quickly starts overheating as it can not cool...
Race 4 strokes have done this since the 1st YZ400F. With No air circulation through the radiator it quickly starts overheating as it can not cool off the coolant. Putting a electric fan on one radiator helps some so there is some air movement but it does not cure it.
Now I'm sitting here trying to think if I have ever let my bike idle for excessive periods of time... Wait until we tell the kids revving their bikes to the moon while sitting on the starting gate.
8/8/2022 10:22am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2022 10:23am
snillum wrote:
Seriously? What do you think the radiator is for?
bichwolf
8/8/2022 10:24am
What is off with the gray Toyota? I feel like I'm coming up short on a HiLights mag riddle...
bichwolf
8/8/2022 10:25am
It's a diesel 4fiddy, idle that shit all night baby
8/9/2022 9:11pm
Not a bike story but one day a guy at my marina who sold used cars went out on his boat for hours. He left a bmw 5 series idling the whole time he was gone. I peeked in the window a few times that day and the temp gauge was never above 1/2 way. I wonder though if the person who bought that car ended up with any issues.
tmauto769
Fantasy
1001st
8/9/2022 10:50pm
In my yz450 manual, it says it will shut off automatically if left idling for more than 7 minutes
Richy
8/9/2022 11:45pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2022 11:46pm
Not a bike story but one day a guy at my marina who sold used cars went out on his boat for hours. He left a...
Not a bike story but one day a guy at my marina who sold used cars went out on his boat for hours. He left a bmw 5 series idling the whole time he was gone. I peeked in the window a few times that day and the temp gauge was never above 1/2 way. I wonder though if the person who bought that car ended up with any issues.
It's a bit different with cars, especially stock OEM systems, as the fan(s) will typically move as much air through the rad as if the car is driving a pretty good speed and the rad is hefty. It's a bit more impressive that it was an old Beemer most of likely with a viscous fan, but even those moved a chunk of air although I can't remember the number in CFM (I have actually looked a few times while replacing with electric fans).

I can see why MX bikes would have a problem when left on the stand, my KTM sure does, but then again I know it wasn't designed to sit in traffic for hours 👍
8/10/2022 3:41am
Again this isn’t bike related. There was a guy where I work that used to leave his car running all day, from 7 till 5. To this day, I never knew why he did this.
SEEMEFIRST
8/10/2022 5:55am
Went out to Flying P for a day of woods riding.

While getting ready, a guy pulls up by us in a lifted 4X4 with a Can-Am in the back.

He was mostly suited up already minus boots, gloves ,and helmet.

He gets those on, opens his tailgate, and pulls out his 2X8 ramp.
He hopped in the back and onto his bike, unhooked it, and just shoved off down the ramp backwards.

Ballsy move, and we applauded him.
yamahaha131
8/10/2022 9:03am
kNewc wrote:
snillum wrote:
My 450 overheated in staging at an indoor during the winter in Ohio (temps were in the 20’s where we staged)
Cygrace74
8/10/2022 10:18am
Not a bike story but one day a guy at my marina who sold used cars went out on his boat for hours. He left a...
I know it was not great to do, but in my E 150 van at several spring and fall nesc races I’ve let it run for at least 3-4 hours after midnight to not freeze to death when unprepared for the weather lol
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
8/10/2022 10:45am
We raced the Washougal Nat in 19 and afterwards headed back East to prepare for Unadilla. We decided to hit Area 51 on the off weekend. I'm sitting on my deck chair, my rider pulls in and dumps his gear bag on the floor between us. He seats himself on another deck chair, opens the bag up and this big fucking dark brown snake came flying out...both of us hit the eject button.
The snake could only have come from Washougal as that was the last time the gear bag was open.

The bastard was roughly 4 feet long and quite fast. It fucked off past all our shit and took up residence in the neighbor's small motorhome. One local who saw it said it may have been a Garter snake??? The neighbor wasn't very happy when he got the good news...and the snake was nowhere to be found.

Furthermore, we did the whole outdoor series with a bunch of mice living in our Monaco Diplomat...laying in bed at night we could hear the buggers in the walls and cupboards.

Another time I was camped at Wild Cat offroad Park in Kentucky and the motorhome got raided by two Racoons. The bastards really made a mess and took off running. Feisty bastards they are.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
8/10/2022 11:29am
The possum's pretty good, but not quite like the guy who had a jaguar in the pits at the 77 Hangtown National. Left with it in a VW bug.
epicureMX
8/10/2022 12:17pm

This dude showed up to Martin Mx in Michigan a few years ago. Backed his Grand Prix into a mud hole and called it good!
MotofactioN
8/10/2022 4:49pm
Again this isn’t bike related. There was a guy where I work that used to leave his car running all day, from 7 till 5. To...
Again this isn’t bike related. There was a guy where I work that used to leave his car running all day, from 7 till 5. To this day, I never knew why he did this.
Someone was telling me a story about someone who’s battery went bad, and everywhere they went they either had to ask for a jump, but a lot of times would leave the car running for hours at a time. Sometimes 8 hours during work.
Munson'd
Fantasy
1099th
8/10/2022 6:52pm
epicureMX wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/08/10/563491/s1200_123_1_1.jpg[/img] This dude showed up to Martin Mx in Michigan a few years ago. Backed his Grand Prix into a mud hole and called it good!

This dude showed up to Martin Mx in Michigan a few years ago. Backed his Grand Prix into a mud hole and called it good!
This brought the lolz
8/11/2022 5:06am
My ex-wife used to drive a push-button start/stop Renault Megane with the remote keyless system and was forever going to town shopping, parking up, forgetting to push "stop", then going off for hours with the thing sitting idling in the car park.

She had to go lol
jnickell
Fantasy
1836th
8/11/2022 7:36am
Rupert X wrote:
LaMar, Pennsylvania this morn [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/08/11/563567/s1200_21BB5620_5E64_4A91_970C_7DFDB48A9251.jpg[/img]
LaMar, Pennsylvania this morn
This guy has his priorities in order. Work first, then play.
8/11/2022 7:45am
Rupert X wrote:
LaMar, Pennsylvania this morn [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/08/11/563567/s1200_21BB5620_5E64_4A91_970C_7DFDB48A9251.jpg[/img]
I see quite a few step deck owner opts haul there bike around. They take a day off where ever and go for a ride. If they can’t find a good paying ld they just take a day or 2 off and go for a ride.
SEEMEFIRST
8/11/2022 7:46am
Rupert X wrote:
jnickell wrote:
This guy has his priorities in order. Work first, then play.
No, he just brought the bulldozer to bring the bike back when the inevitable happens.

Post a reply to: Couple Oddities To Report From Local Track This Weekend.

The Latest