Couple Oddities To Report From Local Track This Weekend.

Related:
Create New Tag

8/8/2022 6:36 AM

And, my buddy, we shall “Chris”, shows up (after driving two hours), with a live possum in his gear bag (unbeknownst to him). Tell us your weird gear bag or other stories, thanks….. Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

8/8/2022 6:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/8/2022 6:42 AM

Parked by a guy who unloaded his bike (crf450 with electric start) and started it, then left it sit idling while un-packing all his gear and gearing up. I didn't know a modern 450 could idle on a stand for 15+ minutes without blowing up lol

|

8/8/2022 6:43 AM

kNewc wrote:

Parked by a guy who unloaded his bike (crf450 with electric start) and started it, then left it sit idling while un-packing ...more

Me thinks if it were at night that head pipe glow like at the glassworks tho…

|

8/8/2022 8:52 AM

Sometimes I'll roll a J and put it under my bar pad and go burn it in woods.

|

8/8/2022 9:55 AM

kNewc wrote:

Parked by a guy who unloaded his bike (crf450 with electric start) and started it, then left it sit idling while un-packing ...more

I hate to sound like an idiot, but why would it matter if it is idling for a long time? The water pump is still circulating water right or do not they move fast enough to circulate at idle?

|

8/8/2022 9:58 AM

No air through the radiator to cool the water that is circulating.

|

8/8/2022 10:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/8/2022 10:02 AM

kNewc wrote:

snillum wrote:

I hate to sound like an idiot, but why would it matter if it is idling for a long time? The water pump is still circulating ...more

To be honest I could totally be wrong here and that these bikes are created to do this. To my lack-of-knowledge and growing up on old 2 strokes I was told the newer 450's can't sit idle because they need air moving through the radiator to sufficiently cool it. I may be wrong and this may be perfectly fine but I haven't seen anyone do it before. I know my old '05 RMZ450 header would glow hot after only a few minutes and that always freaked me out.

|

8/8/2022 10:06 AM

kNewc wrote:

snillum wrote:

I hate to sound like an idiot, but why would it matter if it is idling for a long time? The water pump is still circulating ...more

Race 4 strokes have done this since the 1st YZ400F. With No air circulation through the radiator it quickly starts overheating as it can not cool off the coolant. Putting a electric fan on one radiator helps some so there is some air movement but it does not cure it.

|

8/8/2022 10:18 AM

kNewc wrote:

snillum wrote:

lumpy790 wrote:

Race 4 strokes have done this since the 1st YZ400F. With No air circulation through the radiator it quickly starts overheating ...more

Now I'm sitting here trying to think if I have ever let my bike idle for excessive periods of time... Wait until we tell the kids revving their bikes to the moon while sitting on the starting gate.

|

8/8/2022 10:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/8/2022 10:23 AM

snillum wrote:

Seriously? What do you think the radiator is for?

|

8/8/2022 10:24 AM

What is off with the gray Toyota? I feel like I'm coming up short on a HiLights mag riddle...

|

8/8/2022 10:25 AM

It's a diesel 4fiddy, idle that shit all night baby

|

8/9/2022 9:11 PM

Not a bike story but one day a guy at my marina who sold used cars went out on his boat for hours. He left a bmw 5 series idling the whole time he was gone. I peeked in the window a few times that day and the temp gauge was never above 1/2 way. I wonder though if the person who bought that car ended up with any issues.

|

8/9/2022 10:50 PM

In my yz450 manual, it says it will shut off automatically if left idling for more than 7 minutes

|

8/9/2022 11:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/9/2022 11:46 PM

backinthesaddleagain wrote:

Not a bike story but one day a guy at my marina who sold used cars went out on his boat for hours. He left a bmw 5 series ...more

It's a bit different with cars, especially stock OEM systems, as the fan(s) will typically move as much air through the rad as if the car is driving a pretty good speed and the rad is hefty. It's a bit more impressive that it was an old Beemer most of likely with a viscous fan, but even those moved a chunk of air although I can't remember the number in CFM (I have actually looked a few times while replacing with electric fans).

I can see why MX bikes would have a problem when left on the stand, my KTM sure does, but then again I know it wasn't designed to sit in traffic for hours 👍

|

8/10/2022 3:41 AM

Again this isn’t bike related. There was a guy where I work that used to leave his car running all day, from 7 till 5. To this day, I never knew why he did this.

|

8/10/2022 5:55 AM

Went out to Flying P for a day of woods riding.

While getting ready, a guy pulls up by us in a lifted 4X4 with a Can-Am in the back.

He was mostly suited up already minus boots, gloves ,and helmet.

He gets those on, opens his tailgate, and pulls out his 2X8 ramp.
He hopped in the back and onto his bike, unhooked it, and just shoved off down the ramp backwards.

Ballsy move, and we applauded him.

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.

8/10/2022 9:03 AM

kNewc wrote:

snillum wrote:

My 450 overheated in staging at an indoor during the winter in Ohio (temps were in the 20’s where we staged)

|

8/10/2022 10:18 AM

Not a bike story but one day a guy at my marina who sold used cars went out on his boat for hours. He left a bmw 5 series ...more

I know it was not great to do, but in my E 150 van at several spring and fall nesc races I’ve let it run for at least 3-4 hours after midnight to not freeze to death when unprepared for the weather lol

|

8/10/2022 10:45 AM

We raced the Washougal Nat in 19 and afterwards headed back East to prepare for Unadilla. We decided to hit Area 51 on the off weekend. I'm sitting on my deck chair, my rider pulls in and dumps his gear bag on the floor between us. He seats himself on another deck chair, opens the bag up and this big fucking dark brown snake came flying out...both of us hit the eject button.
The snake could only have come from Washougal as that was the last time the gear bag was open.

The bastard was roughly 4 feet long and quite fast. It fucked off past all our shit and took up residence in the neighbor's small motorhome. One local who saw it said it may have been a Garter snake??? The neighbor wasn't very happy when he got the good news...and the snake was nowhere to be found.

Furthermore, we did the whole outdoor series with a bunch of mice living in our Monaco Diplomat...laying in bed at night we could hear the buggers in the walls and cupboards.

Another time I was camped at Wild Cat offroad Park in Kentucky and the motorhome got raided by two Racoons. The bastards really made a mess and took off running. Feisty bastards they are.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

8/10/2022 11:29 AM

The possum's pretty good, but not quite like the guy who had a jaguar in the pits at the 77 Hangtown National. Left with it in a VW bug.

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

8/10/2022 12:17 PM

Photo
This dude showed up to Martin Mx in Michigan a few years ago. Backed his Grand Prix into a mud hole and called it good!
|

8/10/2022 4:49 PM

Muscle-Milk-KTM wrote:

Again this isn’t bike related. There was a guy where I work that used to leave his car running all day, from 7 till 5. To this ...more

Someone was telling me a story about someone who’s battery went bad, and everywhere they went they either had to ask for a jump, but a lot of times would leave the car running for hours at a time. Sometimes 8 hours during work.

|

8/10/2022 6:52 PM

epicureMX wrote: Photo
This dude showed up to Martin Mx in Michigan a few years ago. Backed his Grand Prix into a mud hole and called it good!

This brought the lolz

|

8/11/2022 5:06 AM

My ex-wife used to drive a push-button start/stop Renault Megane with the remote keyless system and was forever going to town shopping, parking up, forgetting to push "stop", then going off for hours with the thing sitting idling in the car park.

She had to go lol

|

8/11/2022 5:22 AM

LaMar, Pennsylvania this morn Photo

|

8/11/2022 7:36 AM

Rupert X wrote:

This guy has his priorities in order. Work first, then play.

|

Before responding to any post, consider these three things...
1. Context!
2. Context!
3. Context!

8/11/2022 7:45 AM

Rupert X wrote:

I see quite a few step deck owner opts haul there bike around. They take a day off where ever and go for a ride. If they can’t find a good paying ld they just take a day or 2 off and go for a ride.

|

8/11/2022 7:46 AM

Rupert X wrote:

jnickell wrote:

This guy has his priorities in order. Work first, then play.

No, he just brought the bulldozer to bring the bike back when the inevitable happens.

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.