Countdown to Assen

peltier626
Edited Date/Time 12/10/2018 9:12am
What are some attainable changes that can be made during the year to help us out in Holland in 2019. I'll start with surface variation and differing track prep techniques. Have the team train TOGETHER for a couple weeks on different sand tracks.
|
ruy
12/9/2018 5:35am
Do you really believe that the USA will participate ...?
DPR250R
12/9/2018 5:40am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2018 5:44am
ruy wrote:
I think 3 riders will go... not sure which ones though.

From the sidelines in the US, it seems like it is always the last thing on everyones mind (barring this past year of course). Which kind of sucks because it is turning into my favorite race of the year.
Sideways
12/9/2018 6:37am
If you send the right team the US will have a great chance!
Send Tomac (for obvious reasons) Osbourne (GP experience and fast as hell) and Covington on 250 (2nd place in assen this year). Thats a hell of a team if you ask me. And of course, they need to practice some serious sandtracks before and get a good base setting.

The Shop

BR8ES
12/9/2018 6:44am
Maybe the USA team can rent Gopher Dunes in Canada for a real sand track practice prior to going, but I suspect they will just ride as usual. The best rider that day for USA will be Covington if he went. Guy was a beast last year.
12/9/2018 7:41am
Covington & Osbourne need to go to Assen.
For the MXGP slot, yeah Eli is your big gun, but I'm not convinced he has his 'head' in gear for the event. That's not a slur on him, I just think he's not overly interested in it. (maybe, Extra work load, foreign travel, low profit..?)

Take a 450 rider who has got balls. A gritty, give-it-all, have-a-go hero.... Bagett?? Barcia does have the attitude, but failed to impress this year.
joeellis
12/9/2018 9:31am
Covington & Osbourne need to go to Assen. For the MXGP slot, yeah Eli is your big gun, but I'm not convinced he has his 'head'...
For the MXGP slot, yeah Eli is your big gun, but I'm not convinced he has his 'head' in gear for the event. That's not a slur on him, I just think he's not overly interested in it. (maybe, Extra work load, foreign travel, low profit..?)

Take a 450 rider who has got balls. A gritty, give-it-all, have-a-go hero.... Bagett?? Barcia does have the attitude, but failed to impress this year.
I'll probably be thrashed for this, but (prior comments aside) I think if he's healthy and has a respectable season, Cooper Webb could be a good choice. He rode very well in his one appearance in the Nations and it was also his first competition on a 450. A tip over in a very deep off camber rut prevented him from placing very high and potentially helping the US team to top spot. He is controversial for sure but very gritty and let's give him some credit; he has matured. I honestly feel the size of the KTM will suit him better also. Heck, make him the open class rider and put him on a 350, although in the deep sand, that could create a disadvantage.
peltier626
12/9/2018 11:03am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2018 11:37am
Can we focus on Supercross first?
Hopefully no one gets hurt during supercross. How's that?
DPR250R
12/9/2018 11:24am
joeellis wrote:
I'll probably be thrashed for this, but (prior comments aside) I think if he's healthy and has a respectable season, Cooper Webb could be a good...
I'll probably be thrashed for this, but (prior comments aside) I think if he's healthy and has a respectable season, Cooper Webb could be a good choice. He rode very well in his one appearance in the Nations and it was also his first competition on a 450. A tip over in a very deep off camber rut prevented him from placing very high and potentially helping the US team to top spot. He is controversial for sure but very gritty and let's give him some credit; he has matured. I honestly feel the size of the KTM will suit him better also. Heck, make him the open class rider and put him on a 350, although in the deep sand, that could create a disadvantage.
He appeared twice for us on 450’s and rode his ass off each time. Seemed to really take it hard when we lost. Can’t ask for more.
12/9/2018 12:00pm
Covington & Osbourne need to go to Assen. For the MXGP slot, yeah Eli is your big gun, but I'm not convinced he has his 'head'...

joeellis wrote:
I'll probably be thrashed for this, but (prior comments aside) I think if he's healthy and has a respectable season, Cooper Webb could be a good...
Yup, Cooper is a god shout! Gritty, ballsy, full of fight. For just one day, he could pull it off! Like Roger said- A good month in Belgium training for it will pay dividends.

Coop
Zacho
TC

Team USA isn't looking so weak is it..
KDXGarage
12/9/2018 3:49pm
I say just let them do some training after MX season in sand.

ruy, calm down (and please don't post 100 unrelated pictures as you are fond of doing)

Spain has not had a strong team of three since the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria.
12/9/2018 3:52pm
ruy wrote:
Justin Barcia just took his shirt off
ruy
12/10/2018 2:15am
KDXGarage wrote:
I say just let them do some training after MX season in sand. ruy, calm down (and please don't post 100 unrelated pictures as you are...
I say just let them do some training after MX season in sand.

ruy, calm down (and please don't post 100 unrelated pictures as you are fond of doing)

Spain has not had a strong team of three since the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria.
But we have Prado who already gave us the joy of his 250 crush Plessinger, but also Tomac and Barcia with their 450.
  And pray that he does not go to the USA, that if he goes, it will be like sending La Niña, La Pinta and La Santa María again.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
12/10/2018 4:20am
I think the defeat this year will help team USA more than anything going forward.
Sometimes going in with a little less confidence (and thus more preparation) is a good thing.
I mean Plessinger looked ridiculous with his haircut in the end. Probably regretted it after moto one already.

When prepared the US team can win on any track. Assen is not Lommel either. It's more like a sandy supercross track - Daytona with a more sandy surface and less jumps.
12/10/2018 4:29am
crusty_xx wrote:
I think the defeat this year will help team USA more than anything going forward. Sometimes going in with a little less confidence (and thus more...
I think the defeat this year will help team USA more than anything going forward.
Sometimes going in with a little less confidence (and thus more preparation) is a good thing.
I mean Plessinger looked ridiculous with his haircut in the end. Probably regretted it after moto one already.

When prepared the US team can win on any track. Assen is not Lommel either. It's more like a sandy supercross track - Daytona with a more sandy surface and less jumps.
Assen is very difficult if you’re not used to deep sand.
Sideways
12/10/2018 5:57am
crusty_xx wrote:
I think the defeat this year will help team USA more than anything going forward. Sometimes going in with a little less confidence (and thus more...

You guys can certainly win at assen! Something always happens at mxon and the US has had their share of bad luck lately. Winning individually might be tough in the deep sand but as a team its certainly possible! And i agree 100% with a little less confidence will do you good. You also have 2 very good riders that a familiar with GPs. Covington and osbourne, it would be foolish of Roger not to pick them if they are healthy.
peltier626
12/10/2018 7:15am
Covington and Osborne are definitely obvious pre season picks.
RangerLee
12/10/2018 7:20am
Sideways wrote:
If you send the right team the US will have a great chance! Send Tomac (for obvious reasons) Osbourne (GP experience and fast as hell) and...
Send Tomac (for obvious reasons) Osbourne (GP experience and fast as hell) and Covington on 250 (2nd place in assen this year). Thats a hell of a team if you ask me. And of course, they need to practice some serious sandtracks before and get a good base setting.
No.

There is no right team for the US at the MXoN right now.

Even more so at Assen.

If the goal is trying to be 4th or 5th, that is where you can talk about chances.
Sideways
12/10/2018 9:12am
Sideways wrote:
If you send the right team the US will have a great chance! Send Tomac (for obvious reasons) Osbourne (GP experience and fast as hell) and...
RangerLee wrote:
No. There is no right team for the US at the MXoN right now. Even more so at Assen. If the goal is trying to be...
No.

There is no right team for the US at the MXoN right now.

Even more so at Assen.

If the goal is trying to be 4th or 5th, that is where you can talk about chances.
Italy was literally laps away from winning the whole thing this year. Did anyone count them as possible winners? No. Just saying that alot of things happens at mxon. And remember you guys can pick a mx2 rider that was 2nd there this year.
keinz
12/10/2018 10:04am
You can't be serious

Post a reply to: Countdown to Assen

The Latest