Could we now finally see a true manufacturer's championship?

TK40_FC
Edited Date/Time 8/4/2022 2:55pm
Having read the recent announcement's and listened to the interview that ML did with the governing bodies, I can't help but start to feel very optimistic that our sport can finally feel a little bit more cohesive and finally result in a true manufacturer's championship, with the series being sold as one entity and points from each series accumulating for not only the rider's, but also the brands (think F1 constructors championship). If that were the case, I think we'd see more teams placing fill in riders on bikes for injured athletes and possibly more of an effort to get top level privateers on their brand. I'm kind of thinking it would just be points from inside the top ten, but obviously this is all just bench racing at this point.

Keeping riders invested for more than personal accolades would benefit the series as well, as we all know focus wanes at the end of each season if that rider isn't in the fight for a big payday. Might help give the racing itself a competitive boost if there is incentives beyond just what the riders may earn. Plus, you could finally cheer for your brand and have some actual substance at the end of each season, whether it be positive or negative.

I guess we'll see - but i think the pieces are finally falling into place.
|
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
8/4/2022 11:33am
I have always wondered why this wasn’t a bigger deal. All other motor sports it seems , cherish that title.
TK40_FC
8/4/2022 11:44am
I have always wondered why this wasn’t a bigger deal. All other motor sports it seems , cherish that title.
Same, especially with the kind of brand loyalty this sport typically carries. For instance, with something more on the line, we probably see Dylan's bike get a fill in and race each weekend, rather than just seeing it sitting in the pits week in and week out.

It may also might incentivize the factory teams to help out the satellite teams a bit more when the championship starts to heat up and they need more bikes to finish in the points.
stremme12
Fantasy
3693rd
8/4/2022 11:50am
It would make more sense to make more of a Team Championship instead of manufacturer. Give teams like ClubMX and Motoconcepts something to go for as well.

The Shop

Alan Dove
8/4/2022 12:09pm
Not sure cherish would be the correct term. iut's valued, but cherished? Not sure

The WCC in F1 is a bit of an afterthought from a media standpoint. In F1 and really acts as a way to distribute prize money to the teams. The focus is overwhelmingly on the WDC. It's the same with MotoGP etc...
TK40_FC
8/4/2022 12:10pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2022 12:23pm
stremme12 wrote:
It would make more sense to make more of a Team Championship instead of manufacturer. Give teams like ClubMX and Motoconcepts something to go for as...
It would make more sense to make more of a Team Championship instead of manufacturer. Give teams like ClubMX and Motoconcepts something to go for as well.
What if the purse was split based on total points and the larger percentage went to the team with the better total? You could see a factory with up and down results while a satellite team like Clubmx had more riders with consistent finishes. They would then be rewarded by getting a bigger piece of the pie, despite maybe not having their rider win an individual championship. The money could trickle down even further depending on how many yamaha's ( for example ) were in the points that year.

Also, because the riders are already going to be rewarded financially for the individual championship via race wins and bonus's, the money from the manufacturer's championship would be dispersed throughout the staff of each team receiving money.. mechanics, team managers, support staff..etc. That money could keep a team going the next year instead of having to close up shop. Coty Shocks great year last year comes to mind, it could've been enough to keep the team going another year had Honda claimed the title. In that case, ML could have also personally given Coty a portion of the winnings since he had a smaller salary compared to the top level guys.
TK40_FC
8/4/2022 12:29pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2022 12:29pm
early wrote:
Rick Ware goes into the benefit from a team sponsor perspective of a team championship. I'm not sure it really accomplishes much that couldn't be gained...
Rick Ware goes into the benefit from a team sponsor perspective of a team championship. I'm not sure it really accomplishes much that couldn't be gained another way like loosening sponsor advertising/sales rules around the pits, etc.

http://pulpmx.com/podcast/renthal-reaction-rick-ware-wsx-team/
I would agree with you on both points there. I think there is more to be gained than lost with both items when it comes to the teams.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
8/4/2022 12:50pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/08/04/562684/s1200_Untitled.jpg[/img]

Literally no one riding Suzuki's anymore
TXDirt
8/4/2022 12:58pm
Would anyone care?

It seems no one cares about the OA for an outdoor weekend….
TK40_FC
8/4/2022 2:08pm
As far as caring, it does add another element for us to to be interested in, especially if the title chase is lopsided. At its most basic level, these teams are competitive and if theres financial implications and some recognition you know there should be a battle for the top spot each year. Gives the media another angle too, which could help get the team managers more involved in getting in front of the camera and fans.

Post a reply to: Could we now finally see a true manufacturer's championship?

The Latest