Could this be bad for Cooper or Sexton

Related:
Create New Tag

4/9/2019 7:37 PM

So making some assumption it's not hard to see Sexton or Cooper winning the East Championship, but long term could that actually be bad for them? No offense to them, but they are second best this year, and both young enough to be able use more time in the 250 class. If one of them wins this year they'll have one season to defend their title and then in 2021 kicked out of the 250 class. I know it's impossible to predict what's going to happen tomorrow let only 2 years down the road for these guys, but it is possible that if one of them wins this year it might not be the best thing for them long term. Thoughts?

|

4/9/2019 7:39 PM

Was it a bad thing for dungey when tomac won 9 races each year and he still won the title? No if anything this would give them more confidence and I think it’s sextons title to lose with forker possibly out. Chase has been close to Austin a few races this year he’s just been a click off

|

4/9/2019 7:40 PM

I’m sure the rule will change three more times in the next two seasons.

|

4/9/2019 7:43 PM

If a rider puts himself in position to win a championship due to another riders mistake; then out right wins a championship the following season... they're ready to swim in the deep end of the pool IMO

Yes Forkner has been way faster than both riders this year, but keep in mind both those riders, Sexton especially, has also been way ahead of the rest of the pack. 250 east not the strongest field this season though..

|

4/9/2019 7:45 PM

It seems the replies to OPs post missed the point.

I agree that it could prematurely put them in the big boy class which may not help them long term. I think Sexton has the speed to do anything.

|

4/9/2019 7:58 PM

There are no undeserving champions.

|

4/9/2019 8:12 PM

Track and Trail wrote:

There are no undeserving champions.

Correct, that was not my point at all.

|

4/9/2019 8:20 PM

"I know it's impossible... but it is possible..."

Quality content.

|

4/9/2019 8:22 PM

I think its good for them long term. You can only learn so much racing in the second tier. The real talent is in the 450s. That's where you need to get if you really want to improve your skills. You get better by racing against better riders.

Look at who really makes waves in 450. It isn't the riders that stuck around in 250 "developing their talent" for years. It's riders who get a couple years in the little boys class and then move up to the big show. If you just want to get paid, stick around in 250's for a decade. If you want to be a top rider, get out of 250s ASAP. You can only learn so much by beating 17 year olds.

|

4/9/2019 8:24 PM

It hurt Bogle. He was the 4th best guy that year, AC grenades himself, then Marty, then Baggett.

|

4/9/2019 8:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2019 8:26 PM

Ask Davalos if it would be a bad thing to win the championship so soon.

ps. send nudes

|

4/9/2019 8:36 PM

It could be similar to Bogle winning in 2014, great in the moment, but sent him down a road of low paying deals in the 450s when he couldn’t defend the title in 2015 against Marvin.

|

4/9/2019 10:09 PM

A title is a title- Chance in a lifetime for most. If it’s there for the taking, grab it.. Adapt for what the future brings.

|

Current rides-
1988 RM250
2019 KX450

4/9/2019 11:01 PM

Frank Tuesday wrote:

I think its good for them long term. You can only learn so much racing in the second tier. The real talent is in the 450s. That's where you need to get if you really want to improve your skills. You get better by racing against better riders.

Look at who really makes waves in 450. It isn't the riders that stuck around in 250 "developing their talent" for years. It's riders who get a couple years in the little boys class and then move up to the big show. If you just want to get paid, stick around in 250's for a decade. If you want to be a top rider, get out of 250s ASAP. You can only learn so much by beating 17 year olds.

The guys who move up to 450 younger tend to do better there, but I think the causality is backwards. Mostly, guys move up when they are young because they are ready to.

|

4/9/2019 11:27 PM

Make hay while the sun shines. I'm sure either of their bank balances won't mind.

|

4/10/2019 6:56 AM

observeroffacts wrote:

It seems the replies to OPs post missed the point.

I agree that it could prematurely put them in the big boy class which may not help them long term. I think Sexton has the speed to do anything.

I think Sexton is more old school and traditional than chasing 250 titles. I believe his long term goal is to get on a 450 sooner rather than later. Considering his smooth style and his size he will excel on the 450.

You only give it so many shots then move on.

oh and p.s. Justin Cooper went pro late and is quite a bit older than Chase so he's already behind the ball on moving up to a 450 IMO.

|

4/10/2019 7:01 AM

I think Sexton wins the title. He is currently 19 yrs old (turns 20 late this summer). Dude is fast. I think he will be fine if he ends up moving up in 2021.

|

4/10/2019 7:08 AM

Yeah I would hate to have a championship second year out...that makes no sense at all. A couple years from now their name will be in the record books, it’s not going to have a asterisks forkner saying he crashed out? I don’t see how winning a championship is a bad thing. Rather be in that position than Cantrell or Faulk.

|

4/10/2019 7:12 AM

I'm not predicting it, but it would be realllllly interesting to see one of these guys make a business decision and "concede" the championship to the other in the name of extending their career (and 6 figure salaries) in the 250 class. Both of these guys are great riders, but securing and holding on to factory rides in the 450 class this early in their careers may prove to be a tall task. Has there ever been a scenario where a guy was kicked up "early" to the 450 indoors, but rode 250's outdoors?

|

Here's to feeling good all the time

4/10/2019 7:32 AM

Kyle_McNab wrote:

Yeah I would hate to have a championship second year out...that makes no sense at all. A couple years from now their name will be in the record books, it’s not going to have a asterisks forkner saying he crashed out? I don’t see how winning a championship is a bad thing. Rather be in that position than Cantrell or Faulk.

You could argue that it didn’t help Bogle or even Malcom’s career??‍♂️

|

4/10/2019 7:49 AM

Kyle_McNab wrote:

Yeah I would hate to have a championship second year out...that makes no sense at all. A couple years from now their name will be in the record books, it’s not going to have a asterisks forkner saying he crashed out? I don’t see how winning a championship is a bad thing. Rather be in that position than Cantrell or Faulk.

Csb146 wrote:

You could argue that it didn’t help Bogle or even Malcom’s career??‍♂️

Not really you still get a championship bonus. Bogle had a ride in the 450s till his arm issues last year. Mookie didn’t ride outdoors and some other things that kept him from getting a ride after moving up. Most guys that are championship caliber get a factory 450 ride like savagty

|

4/10/2019 7:50 AM

Both of those guys seem hard-working, dedicated, and grounded. I can't see either of them "pulling a Hill" and letting it go to their head if they back into a title.

|

4/10/2019 7:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2019 7:54 AM

FuzzyLogic wrote:

I'm not predicting it, but it would be realllllly interesting to see one of these guys make a business decision and "concede" the championship to the other in the name of extending their career (and 6 figure salaries) in the 250 class. Both of these guys are great riders, but securing and holding on to factory rides in the 450 class this early in their careers may prove to be a tall task. Has there ever been a scenario where a guy was kicked up "early" to the 450 indoors, but rode 250's outdoors?

I think Carmichael raced the outdoors in the 125 class and supercross in the 250 class in 1999

|

4/10/2019 8:21 AM

Really now?

In three races prior to Forkner getting hurt, who did you think...AND the records...AND the stopwatch say was the best?

Hmmm?

|

4/10/2019 8:29 AM

this is why champions runs are fairly long.

not always the fastest wins. one has to be consistent, and even have some luck.

as far as championships and how it affects the riders mentioned.

the ultimate goal is the 450 class championship i would suspect.

Niknak has it spot on in this post. riders who look forward and don't speculate the process usually
make it work better in the long run.

Comparing any rider in this post with another is a failure to understand the whole sport and how really big a deal riders personality, and individualism means in this type of racing. Who would have thought 94 comes back after two horrible injuries and is a top competitor?

I guess it's why they run all the races and the guy with the most points at the end of the season gets the top step.

|

4/10/2019 9:21 AM

How many 450 SX titles does CHristophe Pourcel have after being top qualifier so many times?

|

4/10/2019 9:21 AM

This is a good argument for having a premier class, and support class. Any stroke, 4-stroke, 2-stroke, 250, 450, 300, electric. The best guy, over many races, wins. If you're better on a smaller bike, then prove it!

|

4/10/2019 9:30 AM

This. Like stated above Dungey had a few championships while not being the fastest. But he finished the seasons on top and healthy which would make him the best for those years. He was the best at putting himself in positions to win championships against exceptionally fast individuals and executed multiple times. I'd say Forkner has been the fastest nearly every time he has hit the sx track but finishing the season on the sideline doesn't make you the best. Most talented in his coast (at the moment) would be a better argument.

|

4/10/2019 10:04 AM

The best rider of the year doesnt make a mistake that ends his season

|

4/10/2019 11:01 AM

Doesn’t matter anything if you can’t ride it out.

|