Could Supercross come to Charlotte?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/10/2018 2:20 PM

David Tepper just bought the Carolina Panthers and held a press conference today. He is quoted talking about Bank of America stadium saying "...I don't want to screw up the field, but I think there should be more bigger events there like the right type of concerts. So I want to utilize the stadium a lot more for the community because I think thats important as being a member of the community"

So obviously, he doesn't mention anything like Supercross. He also says he doesnt want to screw up the field.
But up until now I believe the previous owner of the stadium didn't want any dirt to be brought into the stadium (I could be wrong about that). But now with the new owner saying that quote; It got me thinking about a new possibility of a round of Supercross coming to Charlotte. I know a lot of people in NC and SC drive down to ATL for that round and maybe FIM wouldn't want to take away from that round since it usually sells out. It would be kind of chilly too around that time of year. But what do you guys think about a race in Charlotte?

|

7/10/2018 2:30 PM

Where would the rigs park?

|

7/10/2018 2:31 PM

It would be like 3 hours from me so I hope it eventually comes back to Charlotte.

|

7/10/2018 2:33 PM

God, I hope so

|

7/10/2018 2:52 PM

I live in Charlotte and yea, I've always thought it was bogus that they literally do *nothing* with the stadium besides football and the occasional soccer game. Off hand I really can't think of anywhere good for the pits to be.

Would be great to have SX come back to Charlotte though.. Definitely no shortage of moto lovers in the Carolinas and surrounding areas. Before the Charlotte SX was held at the Speedway, they used to have it in Memorial Stadium, which is still around, but I think the sport has outgrown it

Photo

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

7/10/2018 5:05 PM

Oh yeah that is true, I totally forgot about the pits. Hmmm, just have them do another Daytona style track and Lowe’s motor speedway

|

7/10/2018 5:16 PM

Change in ownership to allow the stadium to be used in other capacities could be beneficial. Of course it could take years before it may trickle down to adding dirt for motorsports.

Being 30 minutes from uptown I would love it to hold an event obviously, but some of my favorite memories of SX in general are from right down the road at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Watching MC win there in 96, Windham getting his first win in 97, Ryno breaking his jaw and still riding....Epic stuff.

Even the GP a couple years ago at the dirt track had moments that will still give me goosebumps (Webbs 2nd moto rally, Eli manualing the start straight crossing each lap). The central east coast area is great, but for whatever (many) reasons, we haven't held on to an event.

I'm happy to see an owner with an open mind, hope it works in our favor eventually....

|

7/10/2018 5:18 PM

MW19 wrote:

Oh yeah that is true, I totally forgot about the pits. Hmmm, just have them do another Daytona style track and Lowe’s motor ...more

The race at Daytona Speedway has been pretty successful. If it’s gonna be at another oval track I guess it would need to be wrapped around another big event like bike week

|

7/10/2018 5:54 PM

Keep it at Nascar if at all, downtown is sketchy.

|

7/10/2018 6:18 PM

They have no where close to park the rigs, the convention center is a long way away. I have heard that the new owners found property near Carowinds theme park to build a new dome but who knows. Man I sure hope it comes back one day

|

7/10/2018 7:15 PM

yes
if Fat Giuseppe can take the mxgp's to a 3rd world country why couldn't Feld take SX to Charlotte

|

7/10/2018 7:35 PM

I’d def be in !!

|

7/10/2018 8:24 PM

bgpn35 wrote:

They have no where close to park the rigs, the convention center is a long way away. I have heard that the new owners found ...more

The convention center looks to be about 4 blocks away. Is 4 blocks too far? I honestly don't know.

|

7/10/2018 9:40 PM

F150Motocrosser wrote:

I live in Charlotte and yea, I've always thought it was bogus that they literally do *nothing* with the stadium besides ...more

I was wrenching for Steve Herman back when they had SX there.

|

7/10/2018 9:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2018 9:49 PM

Id love to see a charlotte and a Philly/baltimore SX. Charlotte seems doable, philly/bmore however (much like atlanta) would raise some security problems. Those seem like 2 of the top 10 dirt bike hotspots that are lacking a SX.

I'm sure I'll catch a lot of flack about suggesting a SX in a "bikelife" city, but they do love motorcycles just as much as the next guy. When the cities have had arenacrosses they FLOCK.

|

Greg D.
2018 yz250f

7/11/2018 4:44 AM

MW19 wrote:

The convention center looks to be about 4 blocks away. Is 4 blocks too far? I honestly don't know.

To me it seems like a long way but I think the main problem is having to deal with stop lights and going across all the main streets in downtown. They have a practice field close to the stadium so maybe they could do something there with the trucks

|

7/11/2018 5:02 AM

bgpn35 wrote:

They have no where close to park the rigs, the convention center is a long way away. I have heard that the new owners found ...more

MW19 wrote:

bgpn35 wrote:

To me it seems like a long way but I think the main problem is having to deal with stop lights and going across all the main ...more

You mean up town cool

Convention center is a ways from the stadium. Went to a product convention there

|

7/11/2018 5:51 AM

As a charlotte native now i always have the slightest hope that one day uptown, "downtown Charlotte", would have a SX race. So now i can only lookout my office window and dream of dirt instead of grass (pic below for reference).

As far as setup for a SX race it would be difficult, but accomplishable. One note i read above is that they believe uptown is sketchy.....maybe 10 years ago. Now? very safe, very clean, very populated with money. As far a rig parking in the city, the stadium could make it happen either in the grass parking lot areas not far from the stadium or shut down the roads around the stadium (they shut down roads for half a week with belk bowl). Two difficult things about the stadium is getting equipment in/out and the field itself. The entrances to get onto the field are not that big and they have to take apart seats to get even the smallest excavator in. I cant imagine a dumptruck it would be easier. The field itself is one of their most valuable assets (natural field is ranked one of the top in the country for NFL). Its actually curved for drainage.

Back to the original point though. If a SX would come David Tepper would be the man to assist with it. Keep in mind the rumor is possibly a new stadium anyways that would be built over in South Carolina on the border. If that comes, within 7-10 years, then of course.

Photo

|

7/11/2018 12:35 PM

I bet if Cooper Webb became a championship contender, they would find a way. Seems like venues always 'work out' that way.

|

7/11/2018 1:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2018 1:26 PM

Johnny Depp wrote:

Keep it at Nascar if at all, downtown is sketchy.

you might be the softest person ever if you think downtown/uptown charlotte is sketchy. likely the cleanest, and least densely populated (after 6 & on weekends) city center ever.

airport is like 10 mins from the stadium, and there's tons of open lots and garages northeast of the stadium. if they can handle panther parking when they were championship contenders, why would parking be an issue?

pits could be a little weird…maybe shut down mint or morehead?

|

7/11/2018 1:56 PM

@jones4490 pretty much nailed it. That stadium was never built to accommodate heavy machinery coming in and out.

Memorial Stadium - too small, too shitty for a Feld event.

CMS - meh, Daytona 2. I don't see the powers that be wanting a similar track detracting from what makes Daytona appealing as a change mid season.

|

7/11/2018 3:28 PM

jones4490 wrote:

As a charlotte native now i always have the slightest hope that one day uptown, "downtown Charlotte", would have a SX race. So ...more

Is you see a Honda HRV with a Moto Hose sticker that’s my wife. She works up town at BOA. Calling it Up town was difficult to get used to.

As far as safety in Charlotte its very secure. I have been there in the evenings and We were bicycling up there 2 weeks ago.

|

7/11/2018 3:58 PM

Not to get too far off topic, but I really hope they don't build another stadium. Would be good for a supercross, but that city doesn't need a new one. BOA Stadium is a great place to watch a game.

|

7/11/2018 6:30 PM

Just moved to the Mooresville area last month, A Charlotte SX would be great for me. Been attending SX in Pontiac/Detroit since 1976.

@lumpy790 I hadn't heard Steve Hermans name since mid 90's, I was working a corner at Red Bud near start straight, Steve's mom was standing near me. She mentioned her son was racing, pointed him out. I spent rest of the 1st and all the 2nd moto keeping track of what place he was in and relaying the info to her. As I recall he was right around 20th both motos.

|