Costochondritis

731chopper
Fantasy
355th
Edited Date/Time 6/26/2020 6:32pm
Have any of y'all ever suffered from this? I've been going through extended periods of it for most of the year. It has been resonating to my upper back as well.

One doctor told me to take 800mg of ibuprofen three times a day for a week in order to knock it out. Otherwise, in his opinion, I'd never get the inflammation under control. I didn't want to take that much NSAID so I didn't do it. My doctor gave me a steroid shot to try to help but it didn't get rid of it. It will dissipate but as soon as I try to do a push up or some sort of work out involving my core it flares right back up.
|
Ingjr1
6/26/2020 11:43am
I thought it was from shopping at Costco too much. Sorry, don't have any experience with the real thing.
EngIceDave
6/26/2020 12:05pm
Yeah, I thought it was about cutting up wifey-poo's credit cards

So it's like rib cage arthritis?
Yeah, can't help on that one
Tuna
6/26/2020 12:10pm
731chopper wrote:
Have any of y'all ever suffered from this? I've been going through extended periods of it for most of the year. It has been resonating to...
Have any of y'all ever suffered from this? I've been going through extended periods of it for most of the year. It has been resonating to my upper back as well.

One doctor told me to take 800mg of ibuprofen three times a day for a week in order to knock it out. Otherwise, in his opinion, I'd never get the inflammation under control. I didn't want to take that much NSAID so I didn't do it. My doctor gave me a steroid shot to try to help but it didn't get rid of it. It will dissipate but as soon as I try to do a push up or some sort of work out involving my core it flares right back up.
That is a shit load! Good call on not taking it. If my Doc told me to take that dosage I’d be telling him he’s on drugs .
6/26/2020 12:12pm
Ingjr1 wrote:
I thought it was from shopping at Costco too much. Sorry, don't have any experience with the real thing.
That's where my head went....

The Shop

731chopper
Fantasy
355th
6/26/2020 12:16pm
Well balls, I was hoping some people on here had gone through this and knew a few tricks to getting rid of it.

I do sometimes shop at Costco but hadn't thought of eliminating that from my routine. I'll give that a try! Grinning
APLMAN99
6/26/2020 1:36pm
731chopper wrote:
Have any of y'all ever suffered from this? I've been going through extended periods of it for most of the year. It has been resonating to...

Sounds like a terrible thing to have. That's a lot of ibuprofen. Makes you wonder if that doctor has an ownership stake in your local dialysis center as well...…...
6/26/2020 1:42pm
You got a steroid shot (cortisone?) but won’t take 800mg of an NSAID?

Get the shot and take the pills.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
6/26/2020 1:44pm
You got a steroid shot (cortisone?) but won’t take 800mg of an NSAID?

Get the shot and take the pills.
I'm fine with taking that much ibuprofen every once in a while. Ibuprofen is my go-to when I have a bad headache that won't got away.

I just didn't and still don't want to take that much of it (3 times a day for 7 days straight).
6/26/2020 2:08pm
I can understand your reservations about it but if you trust your doc... if not you could always get a second opinion.

I personally would take a bunch of ibuprofen before I would get a cortisone shot. Hope you find some relief.
6/26/2020 3:47pm
This is not medical advice, but I have read that 400 mg of ibuprofen is just as effective as 600 mg or 800 mg, with the bonus of not being as hard on the kidneys because it is a lower dose, so I bet you could cut that down to 600 at least of you're not feeling great about taking all that Motrin.

6/26/2020 3:50pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2020 3:51pm
The only time that I saw complications from Ibuprofen was when somebody was taking it multiple times per day for months.
APLMAN99
6/26/2020 5:00pm
The only time that I saw complications from Ibuprofen was when somebody was taking it multiple times per day for months.
I’ve known a couple guys with wrecked kidneys from long term use, but I think that it mostly had to do with washing the tablets down with a beer or six several nights a week as much as anything. I am pretty careful about not mixing those because of what happened to them. If I need ibuprofen I try to stick to 600mg or below, and zero alcohol that day.

Might be overkill, but there isn’t exactly an easy to read gauge on your body to tell you if you are doing damage or not.
crowe176
6/26/2020 6:15pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2020 6:18pm
I had a Dr tell me I had Costochondritis back in 1997 after breaking my sternum snowboarding a couple years prior. My chest looks uneven and It still makes noise if I cough. I could never sleep on my stomach after that. I was 20 at the time and just learned to deal with it I guess. Never was given anything for it. Best thing I would say helps is being well hydrated. I messed my back up a while back, and if I get really dehydrated my sciatic will act up, and then will get aches sternum area shortly after. Basically quit drinking and only drink water now.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
6/26/2020 6:21pm
crowe176 wrote:
I had a Dr tell me I had Costochondritis back in 1997 after breaking my sternum snowboarding a couple years prior. My chest looks uneven and...
I had a Dr tell me I had Costochondritis back in 1997 after breaking my sternum snowboarding a couple years prior. My chest looks uneven and It still makes noise if I cough. I could never sleep on my stomach after that. I was 20 at the time and just learned to deal with it I guess. Never was given anything for it. Best thing I would say helps is being well hydrated. I messed my back up a while back, and if I get really dehydrated my sciatic will act up, and then will get aches sternum area shortly after. Basically quit drinking and only drink water now.
I take it that it eventually went away for you? I crashed on a snow bike in March, flipped over the bars, and it started about a week after that. It wasn’t that bad though. I had a chest X-ray a few weeks ago which looked good. They were looking at my lungs but I think they would’ve said something if one of the bones didn’t look right.
crowe176
6/26/2020 6:27pm
crowe176 wrote:
I had a Dr tell me I had Costochondritis back in 1997 after breaking my sternum snowboarding a couple years prior. My chest looks uneven and...
731chopper wrote:
I take it that it eventually went away for you? I crashed on a snow bike in March, flipped over the bars, and it started about...
I take it that it eventually went away for you? I crashed on a snow bike in March, flipped over the bars, and it started about a week after that. It wasn’t that bad though. I had a chest X-ray a few weeks ago which looked good. They were looking at my lungs but I think they would’ve said something if one of the bones didn’t look right.
It was only painful if I re-aggravated it, like any other injury. When the DR told me I had it, it was after I fell down stairs and thought I'd re-broke my sternum, and she said, it had healed a little wonky and that the pain was probably related to the original injury.. I don't remember it lasting any longer than a typical rib bruise if that makes sense. I swear, water and stretching is the only thing that keeps me pain free lol..
crowe176
6/26/2020 6:31pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2020 6:32pm
I was young when I originally broke my sternum, and that was painful for a really long time. It was a lot longer than your typical bone break. I would bet it was 3 months before I started to feel normal. I re-aggravated it A LOT as well. It will go away man.. It takes a really long time, especially if you're really active.

Post a reply to: Costochondritis

The Latest