Cost of riding?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/5/2021 7:02 PM

After about 10 years off the bike I’m looking at getting back into riding at 29 this year, likely towards the end as I have some working out/weight loss to get done and get my finances back on track again after being laid off thanks to COVID.

As a married guy with a kiddo I’m probably looking at Sunday being my only day to ride and maybe a weekday once in a blue moon since there’s a couple of tracks here in the DFW area that have night practice in the summer months.

I figured with track fees, gas, maintenance, bike payment and insurance I can get away with spending about $500 a month.

Any thoughts/input on what some of you vet guys are spending?

|

1/5/2021 7:05 PM

Yes $500 per month plus whatever good hospitalization insurance costs. If you want to look cool and have a lot of cool stuff on your bike add another $300 a month.

|

1/5/2021 7:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/5/2021 7:11 PM

my cost per hr using pump gas is just under 100$ would be running u4.4 but dont think in the grand scheme its worth 25% extra cost per hr. this figure is with everything thats specific to me riding the bike that day is amortized

|

1/5/2021 9:43 PM

Just spend it

|

1/5/2021 9:55 PM

dbx33 wrote:

my cost per hr using pump gas is just under 100$ would be running u4.4 but dont think in the grand scheme its worth 25% extra cost per hr. this figure is with everything thats specific to me riding the bike that day is amortized

I've crunched the numbers a good few times and have come up with $120 / hour. Thats everything factored in.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

1/5/2021 10:11 PM

$500 is enough to do it right! During the summer I am around $450. Thats at least 2 track days, bike payment and insurance. Gas for truck and bike. I save a little bit during the winter so I can put together multiple weekends in a row so I keep the skill progress going.

|

Gone:
2006 CRF230F
2008 KTM 200 XC
2017 KTM 250 SX
2019 CRF250R
Current: 2021 YZ250F

1/5/2021 10:14 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Yes $500 per month plus whatever good hospitalization insurance costs. If you want to look cool and have a lot of cool stuff on your bike add another $300 a month.

$500 / month....how many riding hours do you squeeze outta that?

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

1/5/2021 10:57 PM

My bike is paid for but I draw $500 a month to ride on. I can usually save up an extra $300 every couple months. I'm up to about $700 right now. I use that for parts and upgrades when needed. I'll throw some of it around for non riding odds and ends and maybe a lunch out or two.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

1/5/2021 11:12 PM

Boomslang wrote:

I managed put 30 hours in under 2 months. Good fitness and lots of time off from work this year helped too 😂

|

Gone:
2006 CRF230F
2008 KTM 200 XC
2017 KTM 250 SX
2019 CRF250R
Current: 2021 YZ250F

1/6/2021 6:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2021 6:39 AM

Really depends, but you can certainly make it on $500 if you are only riding once a week and skip some weeks.

Factor in 2,000 a year for bike depreciation if you put 40 hours on it. Thats about 160 a month. Add in another 240 (tracks by me are 40) for gate fees and gas for the truck and bike. You are at 400. That gives you 100 bucks for oil, oil filters, air filters, gear, tires, maybe some bars and a clutch every now and then. You can get insurance for the bike through progressive for like 100 bucks a year.

It's tight at 500, but you can make it. If you want to keep your bike super fresh and have a few sets of gear, budget 750.

This is assuming you have good health insurance through work.

Congrats on getting back into riding! I took a break from 25-30, am 33 now, and happy to be riding.

|

1/6/2021 6:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2021 6:48 AM

$500 a month is about spot on for a hobby type moto fix. Minus insurance

|

1/6/2021 6:58 AM

Cost of KTM ownership is infinitely variable but I think the answer hones in at 25% more than you have to spend on average

|

1/6/2021 7:05 AM

One of the big things that should be mentioned $500 is reasonable for 4 days riding practice days. If we start talking race days that's a whole different story. For the wife and I to go to the races, race two classes each day. Fuel, food, gate and entry fees we are at about $350-400 a weekend. That has no race fuel built in, bike, or parts added in. Dont even want to add up that stuff. I might stop racing.

|

1/6/2021 7:08 AM

I ride pretty much only woods and probably spend like $50-100 a month. I’m too poor for anything else.

|

1/6/2021 8:02 AM

captmoto wrote:

My bike is paid for but I draw $500 a month to ride on. I can usually save up an extra $300 every couple months. I'm up to about $700 right now. I use that for parts and upgrades when needed. I'll throw some of it around for non riding odds and ends and maybe a lunch out or two.

Bike being paid for doesn’t mean no monthly cost to a bike payment. Example: buy bike for $8,000 ride it for 24 months, sell it for $5,000. $3,000/24=$125/month toward bike payment. But you get the idea.

|

2015 Husqvarna FE501s
2020 KTM 250xc
2019 Yamaha YZ250F

1/6/2021 8:31 AM

not that it's for everyone, but mix in some trail/offroad days, and watch your cost per hour go way down.

|

1/6/2021 8:40 AM

AngryBear wrote:

not that it's for everyone, but mix in some trail/offroad days, and watch your cost per hour go way down.

Yep, not everyone can do it (or enjoy it I suppose) but I essentially never pay to ride unless its a race. Saving $25-50 each time I ride really adds up.

*I do have 2 riding areas within 20 minutes of my house and one I can actually get to without loading up my bike, so I realize not everyone is so lucky or rides a bike with a plate.

|

1/6/2021 9:11 AM

AngryBear wrote:

LungButter wrote:

Yep, not everyone can do it (or enjoy it I suppose) but I essentially never pay to ride unless its a race. Saving $25-50 each time I ride really adds up.

*I do have 2 riding areas within 20 minutes of my house and one I can actually get to without loading up my bike, so I realize not everyone is so lucky or rides a bike with a plate.

we have a national forest, with only $100/yr annual family ohv fee. i still love track days, but man, I can do some serious riding on a budget that way.

also, gncc vs mx weekend. 1/4 the price, 5x the riding.

|

1/6/2021 9:28 AM

Offroad. After riding nothing but motocross, I was pretty fed up with the crazy money we spend to race. I gave off road a go, and it is a blast, especially with the right people.

I'll go out for a ride day, and by the time I've drained my big tank, I'm ready to be done riding... Cost is usually not much more than the gas, aside from normal maintenance stuff.

There is a completely different skill set to be developed off road as well.

|

1/6/2021 9:30 AM

MX gets spendy. Riding in the woods is wayyy cheaper, and you get more ride time. Splitting it up between the two is a good way to save some coin.

If you start riding technical stuff in the woods, be prepared to spend money on parts....

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

1/6/2021 9:36 AM

mxracer36 wrote:

After about 10 years off the bike I’m looking at getting back into riding at 29 this year, likely towards the end as I have some working out/weight loss to get done and get my finances back on track again after being laid off thanks to COVID.

As a married guy with a kiddo I’m probably looking at Sunday being my only day to ride and maybe a weekday once in a blue moon since there’s a couple of tracks here in the DFW area that have night practice in the summer months.

I figured with track fees, gas, maintenance, bike payment and insurance I can get away with spending about $500 a month.

Any thoughts/input on what some of you vet guys are spending?

50.00 per hour plus bike payments

|

1/6/2021 9:40 AM

AngryBear wrote:

LungButter wrote:

Yeah I saved a shitload of money last spring riding offroad. Bumped my endurance way up for moto too. By the time season rolled around I was bummed I only had 4 laps.

|

1/6/2021 10:52 AM

vdrsnk04 wrote:

Bike being paid for doesn’t mean no monthly cost to a bike payment. Example: buy bike for $8,000 ride it for 24 months, sell it for $5,000. $3,000/24=$125/month toward bike payment. But you get the idea.

Calculations like this would make me quit riding. A bike is a completely worthless depreciating asset but it's what I do. I don't really GAF and I don't want to count all the money I would save not riding. Same with my toyhauler, guns and my wifes horse. If it were up to me I would run out of money and heart beats at the same time.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

1/6/2021 11:52 AM

I crunched the numbers too. Looks like my moto habit is about half the monthly cost of cocaine and hookers. Time for a new bike.

|

1/6/2021 11:59 AM

captmoto wrote:

Calculations like this would make me quit riding. A bike is a completely worthless depreciating asset but it's what I do. I don't really GAF and I don't want to count all the money I would save not riding. Same with my toyhauler, guns and my wifes horse. If it were up to me I would run out of money and heart beats at the same time.

Yeah, I remember when I asked Al Posey how to save money while riding and maintaining my bike. He said there is no such thing as saving money in Moto, only spending it.

Sure, would I be richer if I did not ride? Of course. But you only get a few years to live and then you're nothing. Might as well have some fun.

|

1/6/2021 5:50 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Boomslang wrote:

I ride 6-8 hours a month. I would say $500 a month would cover it.
I always pay cash for my bike so I don’t have a bike payment to factor into it tho.

|

1/6/2021 9:05 PM

You only live once, abs you’re only young once. Just do it and have fun.

|

1/6/2021 9:27 PM

When it's not muddy, my wife and I ride about once~twice a week. Together we're spending about $100-$200 a month when we're riding, about 90% track 10% offroad.
We are lucky that we have friends who own tracks, and our ohv permits are only $12~ for two years.
My big suggestion, search out friends who ride. You'll end up with more cool friends who you can go riding with, most likely they'll be good people, and you'll likely end up being friends with at least one person who has a track. It's a win in every direction.

|

1/7/2021 5:35 AM

I buy and sell a lot of mx stuff so I make money off the sport with myself riding and my two kids racing.

My 7 year old raced Loretta’s last year. So we bought a class A Rv for $21k, then sold it after the race for $30k. Sold my 350sxf for almost 2k profit 2 days ago. Do that with toy haulers, pit bikes, everything. Makes riding free! Lol

|

1/7/2021 7:14 AM

captmoto wrote:

vdrsnk04 wrote:

captmoto wrote:

Oh man you are telling me lol. I own 6 dirt bikes, 2 quads and all are paid for but I don’t want to think about what it actually costs me🤣! I always say go into the dirtbike world expecting to pay high and sell low.

|

2015 Husqvarna FE501s
2020 KTM 250xc
2019 Yamaha YZ250F