Copy cat ish. How do you get carpal tunnel relief?

Meister
Saw the recent thread on arthritis and it made me think this could be another relevant issue that many of us deal with. 23+ years of Moto, years of painting and swinging a hammer, my hands are roached.

I've tried the braces, diet changes, exercises. Basically everything but surgery. I had tests done that showed, at 32, I have moderate to severe CT. I'm hesitant on the surgery because I hear 50/50 on success stories. Last season I was doing everything I could to try to get back to the ranch in +30. Ended up falling a couple spots short at the regional. If my dang hands didn't go completely numb, I'd probably enjoy this riding stuff as much as I used to.. However, when your 3 laps in and 95% numb (like as numb as your feet get after sitting on the crapper for too long), it sucks the fun out of it after you've trained your ass off to avoid being winded or getting arm pump.

So I guess my question would be, what do you do? Have you had surgery? Worth it?
|
Joko
Fantasy
233rd
12/21/2017 8:13pm
I had both hands done, well worth it! Wish I had it done earlier, no more numbness , can ride for as long as I want without any arm pump. It does take a few months to get full strength back though. recommend only doing one at a time, 3 months between each surgery
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/21/2017 8:23pm
As far as surgeries go, carpal tunnel surgery has a pretty good success rate.
Wade221
12/21/2017 8:38pm
Meister wrote:
Saw the recent thread on arthritis and it made me think this could be another relevant issue that many of us deal with. 23+ years of...
Saw the recent thread on arthritis and it made me think this could be another relevant issue that many of us deal with. 23+ years of Moto, years of painting and swinging a hammer, my hands are roached.

I've tried the braces, diet changes, exercises. Basically everything but surgery. I had tests done that showed, at 32, I have moderate to severe CT. I'm hesitant on the surgery because I hear 50/50 on success stories. Last season I was doing everything I could to try to get back to the ranch in +30. Ended up falling a couple spots short at the regional. If my dang hands didn't go completely numb, I'd probably enjoy this riding stuff as much as I used to.. However, when your 3 laps in and 95% numb (like as numb as your feet get after sitting on the crapper for too long), it sucks the fun out of it after you've trained your ass off to avoid being winded or getting arm pump.

So I guess my question would be, what do you do? Have you had surgery? Worth it?
I feel you! My diet and fitness was on point. Bike set up was great, yet pumped up and numb hand after the parade lap! I suspected CT, but turns out I had a broken C5/6/7, which pinched nerves in arms and shoulders. Had discectomy and fusion in October, and arm is feeling strong again.

Long story short, if not amount of strength training or fitness has improved the situation, then the knife may be best bet

My $.02
EddieC
12/21/2017 9:32pm
If you trust the doctor I would get the surgery. I would recommend the open procedure and not the arthroscopic. Open leaves a bigger scar but if you are not prone to having issues with scar tissue this is your best option as it has a higher success rate. Get with a good hand therapist or Physical Therapist that understands moto or at least high level gymnastics. This will keep them from pussyfooting around with your therapy. This is also a great opportunity to get some All Sport Dynamic braces. After surgery you will need to be in a splint and lucky you ASD makes an attachment to their wrist brace to convert it to a splint. Call them up and they can give you all the info you need to give to your doctor to bill for it. Check with your insurance to see how much they allow for DURABLE GOODS post op wrist splint. It won't be enough to cover the ASD brace but depending on your insurance it could be close and you would just have to pay the difference.

The Shop

aees
12/21/2017 11:32pm
Armpump and numbness does not necessarily have the same cause of problems.

Armpump = muscles swelling and you can't grab handlebar
Numbness= fingers or hands go numb based on one, or all of the 3 nerves going into your hand get pinched. Rarely or never, all 3 nerves are affected by armpump since they go very different routes to your handpalm and fingers
gristle568
12/22/2017 5:19am
I just had the surgery. Left hand was done on dec. 6 and the right was done on the 13. My fingers no longer go numb at nite or when I am driving. I still have stitches in my left hand but my right is starting to feel a lot better already. I had trouble with my fingers going numb on the second or third lap also and I’m hoping that will no longer be a problem.
90smoto
12/22/2017 5:27am Edited Date/Time 12/22/2017 5:31am
Meister wrote:
Saw the recent thread on arthritis and it made me think this could be another relevant issue that many of us deal with. 23+ years of...

Almost 30 years of racing has my hands worn out like an old Dunlop 752. It's something ive got to look into too. Cool to hear some of you have had allot of success with surgery
Meister
12/22/2017 5:40am
Hopefully I can have it done so I can ride this year. Unfortunately, I'm also scheduled to get my tonsils removed on January 31st, so I'm not sure if I try to get it done before that or maybe wait. If I wait, recovery time to 100% would have me close to riding season from what I gather.
kaptkaos
12/22/2017 7:04am
I did it and wish I had done it 20 years ago. Arm pump and CT are very different things. Not having CT has made my whole life better, not just moto
Bike Rat
12/22/2017 8:34am
Stop eating gains(wheat) and canola/seed oils, start eating quality gelatin
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/22/2017 8:46am
Dumb question, but have you tried everything there is with regards to lever setup, bar bend, new grips, etc.? You may just be missing the "magic" combination.
I understand that CTS is different from arm pump, but I know my issues with arms and hand strength went away when I found the right grip/lever combination. (I run my levers high and use thicker grips, BTW. Even run one wrap of cloth tape under the grips so they swell and I have a big handle to grab onto.) It may help to start with the basics and thus minimize the initial discomfort.
Meister
12/22/2017 4:24pm
Falcon, I have tried everything but bar bend. I'm very partial to kdubs bend. I have found that large grips like regular pillow top, cause me actual arm pump on top of going numb from CT. Regular half waffle/emig lock ons seem to fit me well as far as that aspect. I've moved levers. A C hair lower than horizontal with both levers works best for me. Too low, arm pump, too high, can't reach them when I go numb from CT.
wfo4ever
12/22/2017 7:03pm
I had surgery on my right wrist and elbow at the same time for carpal tunnel. Surgery was a success, wish I had done it sooner. Problem solved with very little down time.
jeffro503
12/22/2017 8:07pm
One of my best buddies has read through this thread. He suffers really bad with the carpal tunnel stuff. Some good info in here guys , thank you.
Musky
12/22/2017 10:33pm
Meister wrote:

if you have surgery at your age it will just make it worse as you age.
FIREfish148
12/22/2017 11:09pm
I've had similar issues from being a carpenter and riding and a recent elbow injury. I've actually a lot of relief from the 4arm strong when I need immediate relief and don't want to use any naproxen. Ive found a lot of relief in stretching my thumb out too.
aees
12/22/2017 11:16pm
For you guys with numbness (not armpump), how did you get diagnosis to conclude what nerves was affected?

I've done the one where they send in electrical signals and measure response time. Waiting for feedback on that now.
Wade221
12/22/2017 11:43pm
aees wrote:
For you guys with numbness (not armpump), how did you get diagnosis to conclude what nerves was affected? I've done the one where they send in...
For you guys with numbness (not armpump), how did you get diagnosis to conclude what nerves was affected?

I've done the one where they send in electrical signals and measure response time. Waiting for feedback on that now.
Ahh, the EMG! Zero fun! For me, I had x-rays and MRIs that showed the issue, then the EMG confirmed I was having little to no nerve function from the shoulder down
downard254
12/23/2017 3:41am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2017 3:45am
My fingers on both hands are tingling as I type this.

Edit: I also have hands go numb in bed if I sleep with my forearm pulled up to my torso, and they go numb driving, especially if I hold my coffee mug too tight.
cody41
12/23/2017 4:24am
downard254 wrote:
My fingers on both hands are tingling as I type this. Edit: I also have hands go numb in bed if I sleep with my forearm...

Edit: I also have hands go numb in bed if I sleep with my forearm pulled up to my torso, and they go numb driving, especially if I hold my coffee mug too tight.
Do stretches that will stretch the median nerve. You can find them on YouTube and do them everyday. Problem solved.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
12/23/2017 10:15am
A little off topic but just for funnies. About 15 years ago a phone sex operator
filed for disability claiming too much mast(commitment) during her sessions caused
carpal tunnel and she was unable to continue her work because of it.
She got denied.
TM
cbuehler767
12/23/2017 11:40am
If you indeed have CTS all the diet stretching witchdoctor cures won't help at all. Go get the surgery asap. The sooner you have it done the better the success rate. My father waited to get the surgery until he was late 50's and it only helped one hand at that point. Had both hands done myself at 30, yes had extreme CTS pretty young, and it was total life success. Couldn't even hold onto the bike for more than 2 laps before, it was awful.
downard254
12/23/2017 2:29pm
downard254 wrote:
My fingers on both hands are tingling as I type this. Edit: I also have hands go numb in bed if I sleep with my forearm...

cody41 wrote:
Do stretches that will stretch the median nerve. You can find them on YouTube and do them everyday. Problem solved.
Thanks, I will most definitely work on that. It’s not even fun to go ride when you can only go one lap.
Meister
12/23/2017 2:46pm
The only thing I noticed to help a little was some intense work from my chiro along with cutting out all salt. Replaced all salt with Celtic Sea Salt. Look that stuff up. Dr. Recommend. I definitely noticed a little less numbness while going that route.
midwestmoto
12/23/2017 4:52pm
I've worked on a computer pretty much 24/7 for the past 10, 15 years and started experiencing some hand issues about 5 years ago. My symptoms didn't really line up with carpal tunnel but I still wanted to get it checked out so I went to the doctor and did all the test and it came back negative for carpal tunnel. The doctor suggested that I may be suffering from Musicians Dystonia which is basically a learned bad habit where your brain starts sending signals to your muscles that cause u to tense up and essentially get arm pump doing anything. I can hardly write a paragraph and can't even play through one song on the guitar because I hands get too tired and I can't hold the strings down any longer after a little more than a minute into a song. I don't mean to hijack this thread with a different topic but I'm definitely interested to hear anyone's thoughts or if someone has experienced this. I made a thread a long time ago here with some more details. Musicians Dystonia in Motocross (Wrist/Hand condition)

Post a reply to: Copy cat ish. How do you get carpal tunnel relief?

The Latest