Cooper podium speech

Ray_MXS
6/2/2018 11:59am Edited Date/Time 6/4/2018 11:30pm
The kid wins his first ever national moto and all he can do in his podium speech is ramble all his sponsors. Didn't say a single thing about his race, just listed a whole bunch of sponsors. I mean what the hell. Who wants to hear that?

This has bothered me for years but this was something else. If everyone does this then don't bother with podium speeches, just put up a board with all the team sponsors so the poor kids doesn't have to stress about forgetting some.

I noticed that this is much more prominent in the American riders. Why is that?
|
6/2/2018 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2018 12:03pm
The sponsors pay money to advertise. The sponsors expect ti be mentioned in the podium interview. Is it crass, corporate, and soulless? Absolutely. But it's only a sport from the gate drop to the checkered flag. The rest of the time it is a business.
Ray_MXS
6/2/2018 12:04pm
The sponsors pay money to advertise. The sponsors expect ti be mentioned in the podium interview. Is it crass, corporate, and soulless? Absolutely. But it's only...
The sponsors pay money to advertise. The sponsors expect ti be mentioned in the podium interview. Is it crass, corporate, and soulless? Absolutely. But it's only a sport from the gate drop to the checkered flag. The rest of the time it is a business.
Yes I understand that but then why doesn't Roczen or Musquin has to ramble sponsors? And in mxgp you never hear anyone do this
kkawboy14
6/2/2018 12:05pm
He seemed like he was having a lot of fun with his mechanic and others

The Shop

chump6784
6/2/2018 12:10pm
Moto seems to be the only motorsport where the athletes do it. None of the other motorsports that I watch do the athletes list off sponsors, they thank the team and actually give an interview. Just reminds me of junior presentation at the local club days
Premixed112
6/2/2018 12:33pm
Gotta say, I was pumped about this kid making big progress with him being an underdog with an unusual background, but after hearing him on the pulp show last week and this interview, my excitement for him being one of the big dogs went down by about 50%.. I still wish him the best, but it is the WORST when a rider has no personality and is robotic. AC should be a personality coach for these guys, because he's doing it right!
KMC440
6/2/2018 12:33pm
What does Eat A Bag Of Dicks make ?
Premixed112
6/2/2018 12:34pm
Make that $ while you can. It may be his only chance.
You can make more money in the long run by being marketable and not boring. Ask guys like seven deuce deuce and stankdog who are able to make a living while not getting steller results. And for guys on top like Roczen, it only helps them to have an interesting personality
steveyd
6/2/2018 12:35pm
KId's not exactly Mr. Charisma.

But he is just a kid.
6/2/2018 1:12pm
Make that $ while you can. It may be his only chance.
You can make more money in the long run by being marketable and not boring. Ask guys like seven deuce deuce and stankdog who are able...
You can make more money in the long run by being marketable and not boring. Ask guys like seven deuce deuce and stankdog who are able to make a living while not getting steller results. And for guys on top like Roczen, it only helps them to have an interesting personality
I forgot Enticknap and Stank were rookies pulling down factory salaries and winning moto's. MY BAD. If you notice, the theme seems to be that the longer a rider maintains success the less they reel off sponsors and the more outspoken they become. Big names doing it is one thing. Your first trip to the top of the box? WGAF.

Premixed112
6/2/2018 1:15pm
I forgot Enticknap and Stank were rookies pulling down factory salaries and winning moto's. MY BAD. If you notice, the theme seems to be that the...
I forgot Enticknap and Stank were rookies pulling down factory salaries and winning moto's. MY BAD. If you notice, the theme seems to be that the longer a rider maintains success the less they reel off sponsors and the more outspoken they become. Big names doing it is one thing. Your first trip to the top of the box? WGAF.

It's not so much the fact that he reeled off sponsors for the interview, it's that there was a severe lack of excitement for just winning your first ever pro race and then proceeding to only reel off sponsors. You would've thought it was a guy who'd already won a hundred races before, no enthusiasm!
6/2/2018 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2018 1:49pm
I forgot Enticknap and Stank were rookies pulling down factory salaries and winning moto's. MY BAD. If you notice, the theme seems to be that the...

It's not so much the fact that he reeled off sponsors for the interview, it's that there was a severe lack of excitement for just winning...
It's not so much the fact that he reeled off sponsors for the interview, it's that there was a severe lack of excitement for just winning your first ever pro race and then proceeding to only reel off sponsors. You would've thought it was a guy who'd already won a hundred races before, no enthusiasm!
They did shove a mic in his face 20 seconds after winning his first moto after the dude beating him had a DNF, Maybe his expectation is to win and an overall is on his mind? Who cares. He has an entire career to create a personality. He's already on par with Dungey so the sky is the limit.
AB#81
6/2/2018 1:48pm
He didn’t even thank NYmotocross.
winner
Badd127
Fantasy
2116th
6/2/2018 1:59pm
I heard this week that Justin Cooper is a bit boring in interviews. But he it a lot different when he knows people. Probably not use to having a camera on his face.
Give him time, it was his first internationally televised interview. He's a MX racer, not a TV celebrity.
Question
6/2/2018 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2018 2:03pm
You are actually right about the pit board with sponsors, it is a great idea !

Mechanics, riders, teams, please make the back of the pit board with all the sponsors,

Put it just behind him during the interview so he can only name a few and make a really good speech.

BTW: congrats for the win !

JTM5427
6/2/2018 2:09pm
Certain riders on certain teams have clauses in their contract that mandates the mention of sponsors on the podium. There are financial penalty’s for forgetting them, he was probably hyper focused on making sure he got that paycheck lol!
Ebs
6/2/2018 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2018 3:05pm
It's on the time travel list, find the first rider who won a race and started listing his sponsors like a goddam puppet instead of having a real actual conversation with the interviewer. Find him, and at least administer a kick in the nuts mid speech.

It's too late now, it's what you're supposed to do, because there was a guy out there before you and he won races and he did that.
MR. X
6/2/2018 3:07pm
Never a lack of complainers in this sport.
chump6784
6/2/2018 3:11pm
The sponsors pay money to advertise. The sponsors expect ti be mentioned in the podium interview. Is it crass, corporate, and soulless? Absolutely. But it's only...
Ray_MXS wrote:
Yes I understand that but then why doesn't Roczen or Musquin has to ramble sponsors? And in mxgp you never hear anyone do this
Yep, just watched the podium interviews, both marv and kroc thanked "the team", the rest of the riders rambled off a list of sponsors. Seems to be a US thing
6/2/2018 3:17pm
Maybe as stated earlier the rider can stand with a board with the sponsors logos, the podium crew promise 5 seconds of static exposure, in the mean time the rider can actually answer the question from the presenter during the 10 second interview..

Half of the time i can't even understand what they are saying as the rush through the sponsor list so fast.
drt410
6/2/2018 3:18pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2018 3:19pm
Yea I think I caught aids from watching that. He was robo-tarded people dont care. How much do these guys really get per name drop? 20 bux... save it. Truuuust me if you actually have a personality itll pay off way better if you have a fan base than whatever these shmux are payin you for rattling their names off sayin yea but no I cant thank Dunlop, fox, evs, and the man up above.
stillwelding
6/2/2018 3:32pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2018 3:33pm
KMC440 wrote:
What does Eat A Bag Of Dicks make ?
An empty bag?
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
6/2/2018 3:37pm
drt410 wrote:
Yea I think I caught aids from watching that. He was robo-tarded people dont care. How much do these guys really get per name drop? 20...
Yea I think I caught aids from watching that. He was robo-tarded people dont care. How much do these guys really get per name drop? 20 bux... save it. Truuuust me if you actually have a personality itll pay off way better if you have a fan base than whatever these shmux are payin you for rattling their names off sayin yea but no I cant thank Dunlop, fox, evs, and the man up above.
Another quality post Unsure
6/2/2018 3:38pm
Can they not just pass the riders a pre recorded list of sponsors to play to the microphone at the end of the race?

Post a reply to: Cooper podium speech

The Latest