"Cooper Webb was told he could never ride a stock Yamaha" - Mike Sleeter

Johnny Ringo
11/21/2020 9:22am
You're memory of a 3 race sample size is lacking. On another level when Dungey was on his rear fender the second race of the season...
You're memory of a 3 race sample size is lacking. On another level when Dungey was on his rear fender the second race of the season and he ate shit race 3?
He won A1 by 20 seconds and beat the champ straight up in round 2. Like I mentioned, you can’t say he woulda won the title...
He won A1 by 20 seconds and beat the champ straight up in round 2. Like I mentioned, you can’t say he woulda won the title. But anyone denying that was the best Roczen had looked in Supercross is lying to themselves
No doubt but another level?
Are we splitting hairs on the nomenclature here Donny?
APLMAN99
11/21/2020 10:14am
I know that Sleeter is somewhat of a folk hero to many, but the bits of this interview just make me think that he’s maybe starved for attention at this point.

Especially when he trashes the GP riders and says that Herlings doesn’t even merit mention as one of the best MX racers ever.

As for the Cooper Webb/stock bike thing, his comments are fairly bizarre. Comparing his own bike setup to a top factory guy? I don’t think that he’s ever finished in the top 10 of a National or SX, so he really isn’t competing for the same things or at the same level as those guys. A “development” rider helps make bikes for the masses, correct? Those bikes are a cost/benefit compromise, not the ultimate performance possible no matter the cost.

A guy like Webb probably wouldn’t ever start out on a completely stock bike for his race testing. His team likely knows what parts on a stock production bike are fitted there because of cost, not performance. They know what parts are built heavier because of material costs, or because the part needs to last longer because the “average” guy isn’t able to (or won’t) replace it every race or two.

I don’t believe for a second that Webb was forbidden to ride a stock YZ450F, and it looks like there is plenty of proof that he did. I do believe that he was told that he “can’t ride it” because the difference in weight and what characteristics he wanted from the stock bike and the factory bike were very large. So more of a “You couldn’t even ride the stocker at your pace” instead of “You are not allowed to ride a stock bike”.
Flatliner
11/21/2020 10:21am
Not totally fair, Ken was on another level when he crashed at A2. Would he of won the title that year? Impossible to say, but he...
Not totally fair, Ken was on another level when he crashed at A2. Would he of won the title that year? Impossible to say, but he looked amazing
You're memory of a 3 race sample size is lacking. On another level when Dungey was on his rear fender the second race of the season...
You're memory of a 3 race sample size is lacking. On another level when Dungey was on his rear fender the second race of the season and he ate shit race 3?
He won A1 by 20 seconds and beat the champ straight up in round 2. Like I mentioned, you can’t say he woulda won the title...
He won A1 by 20 seconds and beat the champ straight up in round 2. Like I mentioned, you can’t say he woulda won the title. But anyone denying that was the best Roczen had looked in Supercross is lying to themselves
He did look good, so did dungey.
11/21/2020 1:38pm
No doubt but another level?
Are we splitting hairs on the nomenclature here Donny?
LMAO! Can't hate on the reference

The Shop

11/21/2020 1:41pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
I know that Sleeter is somewhat of a folk hero to many, but the bits of this interview just make me think that he’s maybe starved...
I know that Sleeter is somewhat of a folk hero to many, but the bits of this interview just make me think that he’s maybe starved for attention at this point.

Especially when he trashes the GP riders and says that Herlings doesn’t even merit mention as one of the best MX racers ever.

As for the Cooper Webb/stock bike thing, his comments are fairly bizarre. Comparing his own bike setup to a top factory guy? I don’t think that he’s ever finished in the top 10 of a National or SX, so he really isn’t competing for the same things or at the same level as those guys. A “development” rider helps make bikes for the masses, correct? Those bikes are a cost/benefit compromise, not the ultimate performance possible no matter the cost.

A guy like Webb probably wouldn’t ever start out on a completely stock bike for his race testing. His team likely knows what parts on a stock production bike are fitted there because of cost, not performance. They know what parts are built heavier because of material costs, or because the part needs to last longer because the “average” guy isn’t able to (or won’t) replace it every race or two.

I don’t believe for a second that Webb was forbidden to ride a stock YZ450F, and it looks like there is plenty of proof that he did. I do believe that he was told that he “can’t ride it” because the difference in weight and what characteristics he wanted from the stock bike and the factory bike were very large. So more of a “You couldn’t even ride the stocker at your pace” instead of “You are not allowed to ride a stock bike”.
Wait what?! He really said Herlings isn't an all time great? The MXGP guys have no race craft comment is bad enough but you really lose credibility when you say that about a guy with who probably gonna have the most GP wins ever
rohleder644
11/21/2020 1:51pm
seth505 wrote:
Side note: I've never paid attention to gypsy guy but what a tool he sounds like during Josh Hill interview. On the topic of Jlaw, he...
Side note: I've never paid attention to gypsy guy but what a tool he sounds like during Josh Hill interview. On the topic of Jlaw, he says Jlaw randomly wanted to fight him in a parking lot (when explaining it more, it sounds like he made that up to have something to say on the topic). Then, randomly brings up Pourcel having an issue with him because he banged a girl Pourcel was seeing. Wow, way to cool guy it, I'm sure Josh was super impressed.
And how about josh uncomfortably having to tell him he was over talking about the injuries and subsequent opioid addiction.

I’m not hating on the Gypsy Tales guy. He seems to get good guests who seem to be cool enough with him. He’s got his own style and it seems to resonate with his audience. Not my preferred flavor, but he ain’t necessarily shooting for the crotchety old man demographic I represent.

I will say, he seems to lean pretty heavily in to the “hot take” and clickbait schtick.
Donkey Kong
11/21/2020 2:15pm
Anyone who buys anything sweeter says probably own 4 ocean front properties in Arizona
RonJon wrote:
Funny how all the experts on here know more than a dude that worked and developed bikes for one of the winningest 450 program in the...
Funny how all the experts on here know more than a dude that worked and developed bikes for one of the winningest 450 program in the last 10 years. Give me a break.
I know plenty of dudes that have been in their positions at work for 10 years and are complete morons
Maybe you don't like Sleeter but the KTM's are some of the best bikes that exist and he was the production test rider so...
11/21/2020 2:25pm
USA wrote:
I'm not sure why this gets so much dislike, but he also dominated the 2 races he could finish at monster cup a few months before...
I'm not sure why this gets so much dislike, but he also dominated the 2 races he could finish at monster cup a few months before that. Had a similar crash to what happened at round 3.

Thats what people like, IMO, is guys going out there and sending it. Dungey rarely did that, and I dont have any memorable races that Dungey won. The only reason I remember the whole shifting with his hand thing is because people keep bringing it up on here. I've never heard my moto buddies mention a badass thing Dungey did.
Winning 4 supercross titles, tons of races, and several outdoor titles seems pretty bad ass to me.
11/21/2020 2:27pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2020 2:39pm
Not sure if I read this correctly, but are you saying big tech companies are not a part of the self serving baby boomer culture that permeates the rest of the corporate world
Edit: if so, I'd love to hear an explanation.
Didnt a similar thing happen with RV and Weimer, where they wouldnt let JW run his own setup and made him run RV,s?
USA
Fantasy
507th
11/21/2020 2:33pm
nickm wrote:
Right, sounds like you may have missed a decade. Dungey Suthwick 2011 - His Suzuki is in the pits and won't start, he's at the gate...
Right, sounds like you may have missed a decade.

Dungey Suthwick 2011 - His Suzuki is in the pits and won't start, he's at the gate and obviously the only rider without a bike. Gate drops and he still doesn't have a bike. About 3/4 of a lap in, his bike shows up...he passes his way up to 7th and still gets on the podium for a day

Dungey Southwick 2012 - has a tip over and gas spills out everywhere. Some healthy gas burn on the nuts going on. He has to pit to refuel in the middle of a Moto. Comes back in passes his way back up to 2nd place and takes the overall.

Dungey is a 4x outdoor and 5x sx champ. This is 100% because he's a badass.
I respect your opinion. I didn't say that he's not a badass, and I acknowledged a badass thing he did. Im just saying in my group of moto buddies we never are sitting around and then a badass Dungey story comes up. I can think of several funny moments that come up, like him getting held up behind Reed when he was trying to lap him for 3 laps.

I honestly forgot about the 2012 incident and it doesn't merit me looking it up to watch it again. I do remember Alessi beating him at Washougal that year in moto 1, and then Dungey not even giving him a fist bump, when Alessi tried multiple times. Real stand up guy.
11/21/2020 3:05pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2020 3:07pm
He won A1 by 15 seconds, not 20, and Dungey was less than a second behind throughout the second race. Bob Hannah said it best (paraphrasing) that Dungey rode at 80% kept up with all the top guys and didn't crash out, while the other riders crashed out trying to stay ahead of Dungey.
Monk
11/21/2020 3:26pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2020 3:28pm
Hcallz5 wrote:
Crazy how they can have by far the best 250 and absolutely fuck up the 450. We'll see if Barcia kills it on the GasGas like...
Crazy how they can have by far the best 250 and absolutely fuck up the 450. We'll see if Barcia kills it on the GasGas like coop did when he switched. Not sure how much more evidence we'll need.
Likely it's never been the bike in the last few years.

Barcia did as much on the Yamaha as he did on the Hondas and Suzuki. And he'll probably do the same on the GasGas too. He's talent, but not the likes of Webb, Roczen, Tomac, Anderson or Dungey/Poto (when they raced).
11/21/2020 3:31pm
nickm wrote:
Right, sounds like you may have missed a decade. Dungey Suthwick 2011 - His Suzuki is in the pits and won't start, he's at the gate...

Dungey Suthwick 2011 - His Suzuki is in the pits and won't start, he's at the gate and obviously the only rider without a bike. Gate drops and he still doesn't have a bike. About 3/4 of a lap in, his bike shows up...he passes his way up to 7th and still gets on the podium for a day

Dungey Southwick 2012 - has a tip over and gas spills out everywhere. Some healthy gas burn on the nuts going on. He has to pit to refuel in the middle of a Moto. Comes back in passes his way back up to 2nd place and takes the overall.

USA wrote:
I respect your opinion. I didn't say that he's not a badass, and I acknowledged a badass thing he did. Im just saying in my group...
I respect your opinion. I didn't say that he's not a badass, and I acknowledged a badass thing he did. Im just saying in my group of moto buddies we never are sitting around and then a badass Dungey story comes up. I can think of several funny moments that come up, like him getting held up behind Reed when he was trying to lap him for 3 laps.

I honestly forgot about the 2012 incident and it doesn't merit me looking it up to watch it again. I do remember Alessi beating him at Washougal that year in moto 1, and then Dungey not even giving him a fist bump, when Alessi tried multiple times. Real stand up guy.
80 overall wins and 8 titles is badass. Alessi begging for Dungey to validate him with a fist bump was laughable.
Flatliner
11/21/2020 3:38pm
nickm wrote:

USA wrote:
I respect your opinion. I didn't say that he's not a badass, and I acknowledged a badass thing he did. Im just saying in my group...

Dude. South wick 2011 come to mind? That’s an all time ride by any measure.

He also won’t both big bike titles his rookie year , circumstance be dammed. He beat who lined up.

Has anyone ever done that before??
11/21/2020 3:50pm
nickm wrote:

USA wrote:

Honestly, I'd put any of that more on you and your moto-buddies than Dungey's lack of badass moments.
Johnny Ringo
11/21/2020 4:24pm
Only on vital could a thread about cooper Webb riding a Yamaha turn into a dunge jizz fest
11/21/2020 4:27pm
Only on vital could a thread about cooper Webb riding a Yamaha turn into a dunge jizz fest
That's because any time he's mentioned, people like you pop up to try and downplay his accomplishments. Look at your posting history when it comes to Dungey.
Johnny Ringo
11/21/2020 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2020 4:33pm
That's because any time he's mentioned, people like you pop up to try and downplay his accomplishments. Look at your posting history when it comes to...
That's because any time he's mentioned, people like you pop up to try and downplay his accomplishments. Look at your posting history when it comes to Dungey.
Thanks for clarifying he only got worked by Ken at A1 by 15 seconds not 20. Totally changes the story.

Dunge is a legend in the sport. His checks still cashed and his numbers speak for themselves, but he was boring.
slipdog
11/21/2020 4:42pm
I rather enjoyed how perfect Dungey was. The dude hauled ass and made it look easy...
APLMAN99
11/22/2020 10:27am
I know about a dozen people who work for Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, and Google in VERY senior roles who are definitely in the “baby boom” age category.

The reason some things may take a bit more time isn’t usually because people “don’t know any better/don’t care”. It’s usually the opposite. They have had experiences that you likely haven’t, and they know better about the consequences of hasty decisions that aren’t well thought out. They care about the effects of those consequences for the people who would be negatively impacted by those consequences and apply appropriate caution.

I know a lot of younger people don’t like to hear that, because I didn’t when I was in my 20s either. Impatience makes it seem like everyone and everything is slowing you down and no one understands the challenges and solutions as well as you do.

If you are in an operational management role, I suggest that you read (with an open mind) “Toyota Kata” by Mike Rother. It’s a great way to help organize your approach to change and development that is a great option to the standard youthful approach of just implementing a grand solution and watching it crash an entire project, product, or business.
visser62
11/22/2020 11:02am
Bidirella wrote:
Who is Mike Sleeter? Never heard of her
Don't insult women by comparing them to Sleeter.
spimx
11/22/2020 11:14am
This thread keeps coming up and it's no surprise that the factory does not let the rider decide what to do with the bike. Bike decisions are team decisions based on experience, lap , segment timing and telemetry data not rider feel or wants. Cooper's job is to ride the bike and that's it.
bierbower105
11/22/2020 2:14pm
Yamahas 450s handle weird. They do something different every lap over the same obstacles or bumps. Its hard to predict what a yamaha will do. Not...
Yamahas 450s handle weird. They do something different every lap over the same obstacles or bumps. Its hard to predict what a yamaha will do. Not fun
Are you serious?
11/23/2020 9:48am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2020 9:49am
Well I'm not sure what Facebook has to do with this, but the type of people that lead these companies often share similar characteristics, regardless of which generation they belong. Being a self serving jackass is almost always a prerequisite for anyone at the highest levels of leadership within one of these companies...boomer or not.
RonJon
11/24/2020 6:13am
APLMAN99 wrote:
I know that Sleeter is somewhat of a folk hero to many, but the bits of this interview just make me think that he’s maybe starved...

Wait what?! He really said Herlings isn't an all time great? The MXGP guys have no race craft comment is bad enough but you really lose...
Wait what?! He really said Herlings isn't an all time great? The MXGP guys have no race craft comment is bad enough but you really lose credibility when you say that about a guy with who probably gonna have the most GP wins ever
Herlings isn't an all time great. He's fast but will never have the titles and race wins of a Cairoli or Everts.
USA
Fantasy
507th
11/24/2020 6:44am
APLMAN99 wrote:

Wait what?! He really said Herlings isn't an all time great? The MXGP guys have no race craft comment is bad enough but you really lose...
RonJon wrote:
Herlings isn't an all time great. He's fast but will never have the titles and race wins of a Cairoli or Everts.
Are you sure about race wins? He's not that far off. Are you referring to just mxgp? I'd love to see the stats you are basing this statement off of, because it sounds uninformed. He also currently sits at 4 titles to Cairolis 9, but if we are just talking about mxgp again I dont know specifics, because that's not how the record books work.
Bjorn645
Fantasy
1022nd
11/24/2020 7:02am
USA wrote:
I'm not sure why this gets so much dislike, but he also dominated the 2 races he could finish at monster cup a few months before...
I'm not sure why this gets so much dislike, but he also dominated the 2 races he could finish at monster cup a few months before that. Had a similar crash to what happened at round 3.

Thats what people like, IMO, is guys going out there and sending it. Dungey rarely did that, and I dont have any memorable races that Dungey won. The only reason I remember the whole shifting with his hand thing is because people keep bringing it up on here. I've never heard my moto buddies mention a badass thing Dungey did.
I know what you mean, not sure why you have been downvoted so much Grinning myself and my riding buddies feel the same but there are 1 or 2 that are huge Dungey fans too, not the majorioty though. I think people who ride generally have a penchant for excitement and pushng the boundaries (whatever that may mean to them) and Dungey doesnt always make me excited to watch. Dungey's nickname was the Diesel FFS, he was pretty boring to watch ride but I would still class him as an absolute badass on a bike he just was far more strategic than the "senders" he raced against. I place Roczen, Stewart, Herlings, Gajser as guys who are visibly exciting to watch and their skill is more visually "apparent" when they're doing crazy things on the bike. Dunge handled things a different way and that way didnt really excite me (and many other people) however, it brought him home many chips and millions of dollars...nobody will dispute how effective it was, but I wasnt excited by it.
USA
Fantasy
507th
11/24/2020 7:19am
USA wrote:

Bjorn645 wrote:
I know what you mean, not sure why you have been downvoted so much :lol: myself and my riding buddies feel the same but there are...
I know what you mean, not sure why you have been downvoted so much Grinning myself and my riding buddies feel the same but there are 1 or 2 that are huge Dungey fans too, not the majorioty though. I think people who ride generally have a penchant for excitement and pushng the boundaries (whatever that may mean to them) and Dungey doesnt always make me excited to watch. Dungey's nickname was the Diesel FFS, he was pretty boring to watch ride but I would still class him as an absolute badass on a bike he just was far more strategic than the "senders" he raced against. I place Roczen, Stewart, Herlings, Gajser as guys who are visibly exciting to watch and their skill is more visually "apparent" when they're doing crazy things on the bike. Dunge handled things a different way and that way didnt really excite me (and many other people) however, it brought him home many chips and millions of dollars...nobody will dispute how effective it was, but I wasnt excited by it.
I think most people are looking at it as a slight on Dungey, you worded it better than I did, though. I couldn't do what he did and he's a badass on a bike.
11/25/2020 11:23am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2020 11:25am
RonJon wrote:
not sure if you follow MXGP , but if he stays healthy next season he might be record holder in GP wins at 26 years old with over 101 GP wins

if that doesnt make you one of the all time greats im lost

Post a reply to: "Cooper Webb was told he could never ride a stock Yamaha" - Mike Sleeter

The Latest