Cooper Webb Signs One Year Deal with Red Bull KTM...What Happens in 2024?

ML512
Fantasy
36th
6/27/2022 4:03pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2022 4:25pm
Cooper Webb's contract for 2023 was just announced, but we have some thoughts on why it's a one year only deal for now...

https://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/Cooper-Webb-Signs-One-Year-Deal…
|
Joey_Bridges
6/27/2022 4:09pm
Keeping his options open.
The bike is certainly not without issues that only Ryan seems to be able to deal with.

We heard what Cairoli had to say.
It wasn't near the bike that his works bike is.
zehn
6/27/2022 4:14pm
Keeping his options open. The bike is certainly not without issues that only Ryan seems to be able to deal with. We heard what Cairoli had...
The bike is certainly not without issues that only Ryan seems to be able to deal with.

Funny, I seem to remember several riders on the same platform having career-best years and winning?
Money
6/27/2022 4:17pm
Star racing 2024 id bet. Eli will be done it lines up…..
Joey_Bridges
6/27/2022 4:38pm
zehn wrote:
Funny, I seem to remember several riders on the same platform having career-best years and winning?
So ??
Look who just recently left teams where the bike didn't suit their needs.

And where are they now ??

How do you spell, overall wins ??

The Shop

ATKpilot99
6/27/2022 4:45pm
WSX if it gets any legs by then .
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
6/27/2022 4:46pm
Would love to see him go back to Star and pull another title....
Zachintosh
6/27/2022 4:59pm
Or maybe that’s the lengthiest deal KTM is offering him right now?
ML512
Fantasy
36th
6/27/2022 5:08pm
Zachintosh wrote:
Or maybe that’s the lengthiest deal KTM is offering him right now?
I really believe the length was in Webb's court. Early rumors pointed to KTM offering him a much longer deal...
cool_hand
6/27/2022 5:08pm
Why work twice as hard for the same money, guess we are seeing the begining of SX only riders.

If he was a man he would do outdoors too......
Pirate421
6/27/2022 5:23pm
All these sx only deals aren’t looking too good for the great outdoors. Most of these guys opting for it are at the tail ends of their careers and are past champions but it doesn’t set a very good precedent for the younger generation if that’s an option now.

Crazy hearing Justin Starling on pulp last week saying his sponsors didn’t care if he did outdoors or not and he wouldn’t make any more money if he did do the nationals. Sounds like a slow death for the outdoors. Hopefully not
Lightning78
6/27/2022 5:25pm
cool_hand wrote:
Why work twice as hard for the same money, guess we are seeing the begining of SX only riders. If he was a man he would...
Why work twice as hard for the same money, guess we are seeing the begining of SX only riders.

It's really starting to seem that way .....there's a MUCH larger majority of riders going sx only, where it was a few is turning into many. This SX only trend is disappointing.....

Rickyisms
6/27/2022 5:27pm
I understand outdoor motocross is brutal, but you can’t beat the energy and grassroots feeling of a national. Something much more authentic about it.
ctbale
6/27/2022 5:38pm
Hate to see the nationals diminish. Most of us grew up racing outdoor only. I dont like watching SX that much, turn, jump, turn, jump...yawn. Hard to compare anything to watching (or riding) a motocross bike "carving" up an outdoor track.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
6/27/2022 5:49pm
Webb going SX only next year, who's going to race outdoors next to Plessinger?

Re-sign Marv for an SX/MX deal?

Bring Dungey back to fill the 2nd seat outdoors?

Someone's going to have the 2nd seat. KTM is not going racing outdoors just with Plessinger.
jbrown15
6/27/2022 5:56pm
cool_hand wrote:
Why work twice as hard for the same money, guess we are seeing the begining of SX only riders. If he was a man he would...

There's nothing new about SX only contracts. Mc had a SX only contract for years.
Hcallz5
6/27/2022 6:01pm
SX only makes sense. To be racing/riding/testing/training 11 months out of the year is a bit shitty for them to be honest. Once they start making 6 figures I'm sure the ambition to work 50 hours a week plus Saturday gets old.
Joey_Bridges
6/27/2022 6:19pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Webb going SX only next year, who's going to race outdoors next to Plessinger? Re-sign Marv for an SX/MX deal? Bring Dungey back to fill the...
Webb going SX only next year, who's going to race outdoors next to Plessinger?

Re-sign Marv for an SX/MX deal?

Bring Dungey back to fill the 2nd seat outdoors?

Someone's going to have the 2nd seat. KTM is not going racing outdoors just with Plessinger.
The Dungey idea seems like a good one.
A damn good one.
resetjet
6/27/2022 6:23pm
Webbs head is all messed up. Hopefully he will get it worked out. Hes burnt. However he has been doing some grass roots stuff and hopefully turn back into the assassin that he is.

With regards to outdoors, losing nbc and being broadcast is the nail in the coffin. Imagine walking into a meeting with a potential sponsor. Hello, this is (insert name here, rd5,cw2,et3) he is one of the greatest motocross racers. Would you like to sponsor? (Sponsor). Well that sounds interesting. We here at abc corp are looking for more exposure and our products line up. Where would this event be broadcast and how many people show up? (Agent) 20k tops and its broadcast on mav tv plus, a paid streaming service. (Sponsor). I have never heard of mav tv and 20k is not enough to get my attention. We require at least 200k impressions to get involved.

Now i know that most of the sponsors make their living off moto, but the math still holds up. I would put my eggs in the supercross basket as well.
Stewyeww
6/27/2022 6:38pm
RC has been in his ear and he will be riding a triumph next year #stampit
Sean420cali
6/27/2022 7:20pm
resetjet wrote:
Webbs head is all messed up. Hopefully he will get it worked out. Hes burnt. However he has been doing some grass roots stuff and hopefully...
Webbs head is all messed up. Hopefully he will get it worked out. Hes burnt. However he has been doing some grass roots stuff and hopefully turn back into the assassin that he is.

With regards to outdoors, losing nbc and being broadcast is the nail in the coffin. Imagine walking into a meeting with a potential sponsor. Hello, this is (insert name here, rd5,cw2,et3) he is one of the greatest motocross racers. Would you like to sponsor? (Sponsor). Well that sounds interesting. We here at abc corp are looking for more exposure and our products line up. Where would this event be broadcast and how many people show up? (Agent) 20k tops and its broadcast on mav tv plus, a paid streaming service. (Sponsor). I have never heard of mav tv and 20k is not enough to get my attention. We require at least 200k impressions to get involved.

Now i know that most of the sponsors make their living off moto, but the math still holds up. I would put my eggs in the supercross basket as well.
100 % agree. The people that downvoted this are in complete denial. I love outdoors the racing is phenomenal. But it's going to die a slow death to SX only contracts, and the global SX series in the next few years.
6/27/2022 10:12pm
cool_hand wrote:

I don’t like SX only but are you saying McGrath, Windham, Reed and Stewart aren’t men? Hell even Dungey did SX only (albeit it wasn’t initially planned).
Motofinne
6/27/2022 10:37pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2022 3:38am
The plain and simple issue is that the outdoors isn't profitable enough. When these riders and agents start to negotiate contracts they ask what they could get if they exclude the outdoor series. I bet the base sum of doing SX + nationals vs SX only (not even thinking about WSX yet) is not that big of a difference. Or the difference is small enough that SX only is worth it if you value time off and less strain on the body and mind.

More free time for the riders, easier to stay healthy, easier to make your career longer. The list is long and i 100% understand why American based riders do this.

MX Sports needs to look themselves in the mirror and push the panic button because Webb and Tomac is only the start.
6/27/2022 10:58pm
ML, is there any chance that Vital could provide written versions of these videos? I'm keen to hear what you have to say but it's rare that I get chance to sit down and watch videos. A written piece that accompanies the video would be great! Thanks.
6/28/2022 12:26am
ML, is there any chance that Vital could provide written versions of these videos? I'm keen to hear what you have to say but it's rare...
ML, is there any chance that Vital could provide written versions of these videos? I'm keen to hear what you have to say but it's rare that I get chance to sit down and watch videos. A written piece that accompanies the video would be great! Thanks.
Yes that would be great.

I work remote and can’t load videos!
philG
6/28/2022 12:42am
Money wrote:
Star racing 2024 id bet. Eli will be done it lines up…..
The irony of Webb going back to Yamaha is strong.
CPR
6/28/2022 1:05am
Keeping his options open. The bike is certainly not without issues that only Ryan seems to be able to deal with. We heard what Cairoli had...

zehn wrote:
What you said is correct- Mookie had his best 450SX season ever and Marv won. Funny how people don’t like facts.
tek14
6/28/2022 1:08am
ML, is there any chance that Vital could provide written versions of these videos? I'm keen to hear what you have to say but it's rare...
I agree with this one. If not full article short recap.
neverwas
Fantasy
868th
6/28/2022 1:26am
This
ando
6/28/2022 1:39am
Pirate421 wrote:
All these sx only deals aren’t looking too good for the great outdoors. Most of these guys opting for it are at the tail ends of...
All these sx only deals aren’t looking too good for the great outdoors. Most of these guys opting for it are at the tail ends of their careers and are past champions but it doesn’t set a very good precedent for the younger generation if that’s an option now.

Crazy hearing Justin Starling on pulp last week saying his sponsors didn’t care if he did outdoors or not and he wouldn’t make any more money if he did do the nationals. Sounds like a slow death for the outdoors. Hopefully not
Riders have been doing SX only for nearly 25 years; it's hardly what I'd call a trend. Outdoor motocross seems to be doing OK.

In any case it's normally only a select few that have earned their stripes.

Post a reply to: Cooper Webb Signs One Year Deal with Red Bull KTM...What Happens in 2024?

The Latest