Fantasy
4133rd
6/28/2018 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2018 3:52am
|
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
6/28/2018 5:04pm
Interesting- "I think if we had had fuel injection we could have been competitive, but with carburettors, by the time the NR engine had started, the two-strokes were already gone.”

That NR was quite the fascinating engine.
chuckie108
6/28/2018 5:46pm
Very cool!! I remember reading a technical article on the NR engine in the early eighties(or at least looking at the pics), what a spectacular machine! Thanks for sharing.
6/28/2018 5:54pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2018 5:57pm
Interesting- "I think if we had had fuel injection we could have been competitive, but with carburettors, by the time the NR engine had started, the...
Interesting- "I think if we had had fuel injection we could have been competitive, but with carburettors, by the time the NR engine had started, the two-strokes were already gone.”

Yeah, it was, but it was an absurdly complicated answer to the simple elegance of a two-stroke.

When someone has a technical innovation that no one else copies or mimics -- whether it's Mazda's rotary or Saturn's plastic body panels -- there's usually a reason: It's not a good solution to a known problem. (Oh, and the oval-piston Honda was rumored to be oversized.)

But Honda always loved four-strokes. When the main tool in your box is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
6/28/2018 6:05pm
Love reading stuff on the factory Honda teams from that development era when money (or creative design) seemed to be no object.

The Shop

SEEMEFIRST
6/28/2018 7:31pm
Interesting- "I think if we had had fuel injection we could have been competitive, but with carburettors, by the time the NR engine had started, the...

Yeah, it was, but it was an absurdly complicated answer to the simple elegance of a two-stroke. When someone has a technical innovation that no one...
Yeah, it was, but it was an absurdly complicated answer to the simple elegance of a two-stroke.

When someone has a technical innovation that no one else copies or mimics -- whether it's Mazda's rotary or Saturn's plastic body panels -- there's usually a reason: It's not a good solution to a known problem. (Oh, and the oval-piston Honda was rumored to be oversized.)

But Honda always loved four-strokes. When the main tool in your box is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
But if you have a welder, it's whatever the hell you want it to be.
slipdog
6/28/2018 8:03pm

Yeah, it was, but it was an absurdly complicated answer to the simple elegance of a two-stroke. When someone has a technical innovation that no one...

SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Don't mind me, I just like welding penises.

bvm111
6/28/2018 8:29pm

SEEMEFIRST wrote:
slipdog wrote:
Don't mind me, I just like welding penises. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/06/28/270976/s1200_Screenshot_2018_06_28_at_8.00.03_PM.jpg[/img]

WoohooTongue
6/28/2018 9:59pm

SEEMEFIRST wrote:
slipdog wrote:
Don't mind me, I just like welding penises. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/06/28/270976/s1200_Screenshot_2018_06_28_at_8.00.03_PM.jpg[/img]

via GIPHY

" class="img-fluid" />
6/28/2018 10:14pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2018 2:01am

You need to do some serious research into Soichiro Honda and Takeo Fujisawa and their philosophies regarding sustainability and the environment. Visionaries that close minded people like you just don't get. And think you know better.
6/29/2018 1:32am
nice article, thanks. To build a bike like that a that time is just mind blowing. I don't know how you can design such an engine only with a piece of paper and pencil.
downard254
6/29/2018 3:52am
I remember those bikes, only I thought it was two large oval pistons and four con rods, not double that. Now it’s all the more impressive.

Post a reply to: Cool article on Honda's oval piston RR engine background

The Latest