Cooksey: Tomac and the Yips

biscuit11
2/27/2019 4:44pm
Ranman68 wrote:
I think he's got a little ADHD going on. Also, he has a different kind of hard charging riding style that requires a very specific chassis/suspension...
I think he's got a little ADHD going on. Also, he has a different kind of hard charging riding style that requires a very specific chassis/suspension set up to work. It's a very "attack the track" style where he doesn't take his feet off the pegs any more than he has to and no longer than he has to. It works great as long as bike is dialed. When bike isnt dialed for it, it won't stay planted. Most of his crashes are coming into turns or coming out of them with his feet on the pegs. The bike doesnt stay planted, and he has no leg down to catch himself and just hits the dirt. I really think that his style and charging so hard requires a lot more precise suspension set up. It takes longer to find that sweet spot, and when it's off he's mediocre. When they get it figured out and optimum for this style, he straight up rips like nobody I've ever seen. I've seen him be a night and day faster from one moto to the next in one event just from one suspension/chassis change.
I think those things are the all that's going on, and not some "yips" thing. He just rides in a way that's super aggressive and requires precise/specific suspension set up to allow him to ride to his potential. More so than most riders, and it takes more time to get right. 2019 bike is very different from 2018 model, and it just took a while. The set up may have been close and worked on the fast, super hard packed monster cup track, but not on these tighter, softer, busier sx tracks. This is just my theory based on what I see.
I agree, but you know the man will always have a microscope on him. Right now Eli is the man so unfortunately he gets the microscope. A lot of hater speculation comes with it unfortunately.
Phantom 661
2/27/2019 5:21pm
kiwifan wrote:
Good read, my personal opinion is that ET is a little like Reed, if he isnt comfortable on the bike and with the track then he...
Good read, my personal opinion is that ET is a little like Reed, if he isnt comfortable on the bike and with the track then he is sub par, and when he is comfortable....look out, he is very quick
Crush wrote:
Yep... and when he is comfortable it's a different thing to maybe anyone else we've seen except James. Honestly, would anyone in their prime have beaten...
Yep... and when he is comfortable it's a different thing to maybe anyone else we've seen except James.

Honestly, would anyone in their prime have beaten Eli at Hangtown or GH in 2015?
Eli himself made this exact statement somewhere around race 4-6 in SX 2017. It was easy to see that he was frustrated when answering the question. He made it absolutely clear that he couldn't put out a blistering pace unless he was feeling it. I never forgot that interview for some reason. He also went on a winning streak shortly thereafter. Eli has shown us all that he has to be dialed in mentaly or we're not going to see his best.
2/27/2019 5:25pm
Ranman68 wrote:
I think he's got a little ADHD going on. Also, he has a different kind of hard charging riding style that requires a very specific chassis/suspension...
I think he's got a little ADHD going on. Also, he has a different kind of hard charging riding style that requires a very specific chassis/suspension set up to work. It's a very "attack the track" style where he doesn't take his feet off the pegs any more than he has to and no longer than he has to. It works great as long as bike is dialed. When bike isnt dialed for it, it won't stay planted. Most of his crashes are coming into turns or coming out of them with his feet on the pegs. The bike doesnt stay planted, and he has no leg down to catch himself and just hits the dirt. I really think that his style and charging so hard requires a lot more precise suspension set up. It takes longer to find that sweet spot, and when it's off he's mediocre. When they get it figured out and optimum for this style, he straight up rips like nobody I've ever seen. I've seen him be a night and day faster from one moto to the next in one event just from one suspension/chassis change.
I think those things are the all that's going on, and not some "yips" thing. He just rides in a way that's super aggressive and requires precise/specific suspension set up to allow him to ride to his potential. More so than most riders, and it takes more time to get right. 2019 bike is very different from 2018 model, and it just took a while. The set up may have been close and worked on the fast, super hard packed monster cup track, but not on these tighter, softer, busier sx tracks. This is just my theory based on what I see.
biscuit11 wrote:
I agree, but you know the man will always have a microscope on him. Right now Eli is the man so unfortunately he gets the microscope...
I agree, but you know the man will always have a microscope on him. Right now Eli is the man so unfortunately he gets the microscope. A lot of hater speculation comes with it unfortunately.
Why is it Hater speculation? Can’t it just be interesting speculation? Drives me nuts when these guys don’t tell anyone anything then call speculation “Haters”. If Eli or any other riders don’t want speculation then stop being so secretive.

Was speculation about his back injury off? If so he could have corrected me when I asked him in the pre race press conference. Instead he said he was fine, knowing full well he had an injury. So yea, I am going to speculate when guys dance around the truth. The truth can stop speculation in it’s tracks!
biscuit11
2/27/2019 8:58pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2019 9:01pm
One thing I never really hear from Eli ever is an excuse, whether he has one or not. In 2017 Eli needed legendary rides like he had in Oakland and Salt Lake to even be in contention come NY. He wasnt the favorite going in and if someone told you after round 3 what he was about to do you would have told them they were full of shit. 1 untimely mistake in a 14 race span and he gets labeled as blowing that championship. He really has had some strange things happen at strang times like the pants at a1, and the bike at red bud but his outdoor season last year proved what he can do when comfortable and in go mode. New bike this year yet speculation at every hickup. Hes got the microscope for sure but hes also making the most $ so it is what it is...

The Shop

BobbyLight
2/27/2019 9:30pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2019 9:34pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I 100% believe Eli has some sort of an anxiety issue. If you guy's have never seen it from the last year at the MXoN's race...
I 100% believe Eli has some sort of an anxiety issue. If you guy's have never seen it from the last year at the MXoN's race , when he got interviewed , he couldn't even make out a sentence or speak in a clear manner. It was well beyond " choked up ". I honestly felt bad for him after I saw that. Go watch it if you can find it , and maybe it might explain why he probably doesn't dig high pressure situations. Some people just can't handle it. God know's what that dude could do if he smoked a big fat blunt 10 mins before a gate drop.
He needs a fat blunt of CBD before the gate drop. The stuff is amazing.

Doesn't get you "high" at all. Mentally he would be thinking straight as an arrow. Body at ease, relaxed and feels like you could easily run 5 miles, or take a nap just as easily. Really grounded, level feel. Hard to explain.

I thought it was going to be BS but tried some CBD flower this past weekend. I dont think it is a magic cure-all for the 1000 things that everyone is claiming it is, but I do think it will mainly prevail as an anxiety solution, among a couple other things.

CBD will be huge. Although it is suspected that the riders are just advertising it right now and not using it; I bet that will change as the legality clears up and it becomes more understood and established. I almost wish it wasn't from the cannabis plant because of all the BS that comes along with that. Do yourself a favor and mentally move your opinions of "CBD" out of the "weed related" part of your brain. Tell yourself its some chemical pfizer made up in a lab if you have to. Really recommend trying it out. (also, FWIW I don't smoke weed. I have, but dont.)

End rant
HusqFan3
2/28/2019 10:24am
jonboy688 wrote:
lol if i was Eli i would take the article as a jab, even though you tried your best to not act like it is/was a...
lol if i was Eli i would take the article as a jab, even though you tried your best to not act like it is/was a jab.... i thought the sx/mx media had to tread lightly around the big names???? i applaud the article and thought it was well written,but poorly chosen as i am sure Eli enjoys the peanut gallery diagnosing why he cant close on sx, or hold the red plate for more then a race during a sx season
I don’t try and being friends with these guys. I call what I see and it’s simply my opinion. I do take accountability for what I...
I don’t try and being friends with these guys. I call what I see and it’s simply my opinion. I do take accountability for what I say, I wouldn’t write anything I wouldn’t say directly to them or their team. I would hope they know my opinions are NOT mean spirited. Other professional sports welcome deep analysis, the more people talk the more people watch.

Teams don’t like speculative articles, but my response is if they don’t want speculation then offer more transparency. Tell us when your riders are hurt or what issues their bike are having, we always find out eventually. My two cents...
And this is precisely why we’re fortunate to have someone like you with media credentials, Cooksey. And by “like you” i mean someone that isn’t afraid to ask riders fair but pointed questions on the post-race presser as opposed to softball questions we all know the answer to before the rider even responds.

IMO yourself, Will Christien, and Weege are the most reliable when it comes to asking tough but fair questions that if answered, will provide us hard core fans with new or interesting insights
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
2/28/2019 10:53am
jonboy688 wrote:
lol if i was Eli i would take the article as a jab, even though you tried your best to not act like it is/was a...
lol if i was Eli i would take the article as a jab, even though you tried your best to not act like it is/was a jab.... i thought the sx/mx media had to tread lightly around the big names???? i applaud the article and thought it was well written,but poorly chosen as i am sure Eli enjoys the peanut gallery diagnosing why he cant close on sx, or hold the red plate for more then a race during a sx season
I don’t try and being friends with these guys. I call what I see and it’s simply my opinion. I do take accountability for what I...
I don’t try and being friends with these guys. I call what I see and it’s simply my opinion. I do take accountability for what I say, I wouldn’t write anything I wouldn’t say directly to them or their team. I would hope they know my opinions are NOT mean spirited. Other professional sports welcome deep analysis, the more people talk the more people watch.

Teams don’t like speculative articles, but my response is if they don’t want speculation then offer more transparency. Tell us when your riders are hurt or what issues their bike are having, we always find out eventually. My two cents...
HusqFan3 wrote:
And this is precisely why we’re fortunate to have someone like you with media credentials, Cooksey. And by “like you” i mean someone that isn’t afraid...
And this is precisely why we’re fortunate to have someone like you with media credentials, Cooksey. And by “like you” i mean someone that isn’t afraid to ask riders fair but pointed questions on the post-race presser as opposed to softball questions we all know the answer to before the rider even responds.

IMO yourself, Will Christien, and Weege are the most reliable when it comes to asking tough but fair questions that if answered, will provide us hard core fans with new or interesting insights
bout time we got people that were willing to ask those questions...even just some of the time.

Now if only we can get the riders and teams to be more open and transparent.

Post a reply to: Cooksey: Tomac and the Yips

The Latest