Cooksey: Tomac and the Yips

Akira
2/25/2019 10:01pm Edited Date/Time 2/28/2019 10:54am
Relevant point, valid theory and awesome article: https://www.vitalmx.com/features/Cooksey-Straight-To-The-Point-Eli-Has-…

Thanks Cooksey, first time someone brings some rationality to this. I guess we'll really know from ET3 himself at some point once it's all said and done and he feels "comfy" talking about it.
|
ledger
2/25/2019 10:17pm
Serious question, is it a form of anxiety ?
2/25/2019 10:21pm
ledger wrote:
I have always thought he could have anxiety too.. could explain a lot
ledger
2/25/2019 10:32pm
ledger wrote:
I have always thought he could have anxiety too.. could explain a lot
If Tomac could get whatever he has under control...there's no telling what goals he could reach.

The Shop

2/25/2019 11:12pm
I thought it was at insightful article myself . And I am pretty sure Eli is aware of this psychological race mode situation . Last time I checked none of us are perfect . Well, maybe RC when it comes to race psyche. Imo.
jeffro503
2/25/2019 11:47pm
I 100% believe Eli has some sort of an anxiety issue. If you guy's have never seen it from the last year at the MXoN's race , when he got interviewed , he couldn't even make out a sentence or speak in a clear manner. It was well beyond " choked up ". I honestly felt bad for him after I saw that. Go watch it if you can find it , and maybe it might explain why he probably doesn't dig high pressure situations. Some people just can't handle it. God know's what that dude could do if he smoked a big fat blunt 10 mins before a gate drop.
2/26/2019 12:10am
jeffro503 wrote:
I 100% believe Eli has some sort of an anxiety issue. If you guy's have never seen it from the last year at the MXoN's race...
I 100% believe Eli has some sort of an anxiety issue. If you guy's have never seen it from the last year at the MXoN's race , when he got interviewed , he couldn't even make out a sentence or speak in a clear manner. It was well beyond " choked up ". I honestly felt bad for him after I saw that. Go watch it if you can find it , and maybe it might explain why he probably doesn't dig high pressure situations. Some people just can't handle it. God know's what that dude could do if he smoked a big fat blunt 10 mins before a gate drop.
I'm pretty sure the reason for that odd interview was because he was hearing himself through the headset, if you've ever tried to talk while your being replayed back into your ear you'd understand it's very hard. He wasn't the only one who struggled with it, I remember Windham would have to take the headset off while he was talking.

Not saying he definitely doesn't have anxiety or whatever I'm just saying I'm pretty sure that isn't an example of it. He did plenty of other interviews all weekend and was fine, I believe he even did one before one of the races when I'm sure it would be pretty bad and was fine.
2/26/2019 1:43am
I have known dudes that legitimately rode better right after smoking weed.. not saying Eli should or any professional athlete should.. jus sayin
Crush
2/26/2019 2:48am
Weege was talking about this on the Detroit wrap-up.... he was citing the lack of major injuries and perhaps we associate the ridiculous speed with a lack of fear but perhaps he's actually wired to back it down if he's not comfortable.

I think similarly but not about the crashing. Tomac is way more technical than people ever talk about. When he's on, he looks like he's riding a MTB... Watch Hangtown and GH 15 again... he was riding a different track. He wasn't bashing his way through.

Using technique like that has to come with comfort... I bet he focuses on that feeling and when he has it he does, and when he doesn't he doesn't.
kb228
2/26/2019 3:09am
Cant remember what interview it was, but eli himself said sometimes he thinks too much or over analyzes.

Ive always thought meditation would help him out with that. Its a great tool to teach you to shut your brain off.

But we all are diagnosing him through the TV. But the yips does make sense as a possible problem.
mauidex
2/26/2019 6:51am
"Weege was talking about this on the Detroit wrap-up.... he was citing the lack of major injuries"

I guess the double shoulders and surgeries and 2 years to get back up to speed didnt count?!??!?!WhistlingWhistling
Crush
2/26/2019 6:53am
mauidex wrote:
"Weege was talking about this on the Detroit wrap-up.... he was citing the lack of major injuries" I guess the double shoulders and surgeries and 2...
"Weege was talking about this on the Detroit wrap-up.... he was citing the lack of major injuries"

I guess the double shoulders and surgeries and 2 years to get back up to speed didnt count?!??!?!WhistlingWhistling
Apparently that's it though... He was talking to Johnny T, apparently the shoulders and a collarbone that didn't require surgery.
Casting
2/26/2019 7:45am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2019 7:48am
Gotta say... as someone who conducts psych evals on a daily basis... some of you folks are funny.

Bruce372
2/26/2019 7:50am
I am surprised none of the vital MDs have prescribed Eli CBD oil for his anxiety yet.
Kawi15
2/26/2019 8:01am
One thing I am convinced of is that smoking weed is not going to help anybody who is dealing with anxiety and mental disorders. Weed promotes paranoia and schizophrenia. I am sure most all of the weed whacks will tell me that it helps a person to relax and focus, but I say that is BS.
toroP
2/26/2019 8:03am
Focal dystonia is nueral muscular issue that most often affects the hands/fingers of musicians, often causing involuntary contracting or extending of fingers.

In sports, pitchers, golfers, darts .....

It’s not about being nervous. Though it undoubtedly could make one anxious.
captmoto
2/26/2019 8:10am
If you watched Eli on the whiskey throttle show you could see something going on. He was almost painful to watch in the very beginning, really uncomfortable. He seemed to want to bolt and his verbal responses were pretty stilted. He got better but didn't ever look real "comfortable" there.
MOTO732
2/26/2019 8:11am
So, what's the difference between the "yips" and what we call "choking". Doesn't matter what you call it, it's the pressure that gets to you. Different people, different ways. Look at Damon Bradshaw for example. He choked massively and threw away a SX championship. He had the yips too I guess. .
mxpro252
2/26/2019 8:13am
Bruce372 wrote:
I am surprised none of the vital MDs have prescribed Eli CBD oil for his anxiety yet.
You beat me to it!
Akira
2/26/2019 8:42am
Casting wrote:
Gotta say... as someone who conducts psych evals on a daily basis... some of you folks are funny.

well, they're not afraid to share their opinions. What're your thoughts on the choke thing? or are you just making fun of moto MDs?
Kenny Lingus
2/26/2019 8:54am
I used to ride with a guy that was fast as hell when he was riding with slower riders. As soon as he was on track with riders as fast or faster than him he would go into limp mode. It was almost like he would use it as an excuse, "They aren't really faster, I just wasn't trying". I think some egos are so fragile that some riders do this to make themselves think they are still better even though they get beat. "Well if I was trying he wouldn't beat me".
2/26/2019 9:13am
Casting wrote:

As someone in the Psych field, what do you think of my theory? I am fascinated with brain function and psychology but my education is limited to my own personal research and “bro science”.
2/26/2019 9:22am
toroP wrote:
Focal dystonia is nueral muscular issue that most often affects the hands/fingers of musicians, often causing involuntary contracting or extending of fingers. In sports, pitchers, golfers...
Focal dystonia is nueral muscular issue that most often affects the hands/fingers of musicians, often causing involuntary contracting or extending of fingers.

In sports, pitchers, golfers, darts .....

It’s not about being nervous. Though it undoubtedly could make one anxious.
That is why it’s a bit of a stretch to call it “focal distonia”. That specific issue I guess Eli is facing is similar but affects situational awareness and some coordination reduction, much like what happened in New Jersey.
deluxeman
2/26/2019 9:32am
Bruce372 wrote:

It's coming don't worry....
jonboy688
2/26/2019 9:46am
lol if i was Eli i would take the article as a jab, even though you tried your best to not act like it is/was a jab.... i thought the sx/mx media had to tread lightly around the big names???? i applaud the article and thought it was well written,but poorly chosen as i am sure Eli enjoys the peanut gallery diagnosing why he cant close on sx, or hold the red plate for more then a race during a sx season
2/26/2019 10:05am
jonboy688 wrote:
lol if i was Eli i would take the article as a jab, even though you tried your best to not act like it is/was a...
lol if i was Eli i would take the article as a jab, even though you tried your best to not act like it is/was a jab.... i thought the sx/mx media had to tread lightly around the big names???? i applaud the article and thought it was well written,but poorly chosen as i am sure Eli enjoys the peanut gallery diagnosing why he cant close on sx, or hold the red plate for more then a race during a sx season
I don’t try and being friends with these guys. I call what I see and it’s simply my opinion. I do take accountability for what I say, I wouldn’t write anything I wouldn’t say directly to them or their team. I would hope they know my opinions are NOT mean spirited. Other professional sports welcome deep analysis, the more people talk the more people watch.

Teams don’t like speculative articles, but my response is if they don’t want speculation then offer more transparency. Tell us when your riders are hurt or what issues their bike are having, we always find out eventually. My two cents...

Post a reply to: Cooksey: Tomac and the Yips

The Latest